Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Orgophlax posted:

I'm not sure why this is an issue? The idea behind the challenges is that your putting more and more fear into the thugs. The challenge rooms are just training and not real thugs.

Because there's only a certain amount of predator rooms in the game and only a certain amount of opportunities for you to do a lot of the things you need to, which means if you miss your chance you'd need to do a whole new playthrough just to hit that 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Crappy Jack posted:

Because there's only a certain amount of predator rooms in the game and only a certain amount of opportunities for you to do a lot of the things you need to, which means if you miss your chance you'd need to do a whole new playthrough just to hit that 100%.
OK, but that still undermines the spirit of the challenges. At the very least, they should allow them to be done on the outdoor predator areas that respawn.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I have two left to do for Worst Nightmare (the propane tank one and the double fall one) and I think I may have to go through I Am The Night mode to do it :ohdear:

I'm also facing an uphill battle with Shadow Vigilante 15 but that's largely due to my own ineptitude with combat in general.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
In case anyone is interested, you get about $30 in store credit for trading this in at Gamestop right now. Just sayin, that's halfway to a new game.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Jesus, those last two challenge rooms were hard, but I finally did it:

Now...on to City. Should be no problem, right?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Orgophlax posted:

OK, but that still undermines the spirit of the challenges. At the very least, they should allow them to be done on the outdoor predator areas that respawn.

Some of those challenges require very specific takedowns that you can only do in like two predator rooms in the campaign mode. When poo poo is that specific, they really should let you use challenge mode. The combat ones aren't so bad since all you have to do is find a crime in progress, but there's no equivalent for predator stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The challenges could be fixed in a few ways:

A) Allow them to unlock in any order. If you get the last challenge first, welp, good for you.

B) Make them either less restrictive (something you can do anywhere) or let them be done in challenges so you can have infinite tries to do them.

Preferably both.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Yeah. I'm surprised no one is going :supaburn: about the predator challenges in Origins considering everyone busted a loving gasket about Arkham City :supaburn: locking you out of content when you finished the game! :supaburn: which wasn't true because the game just had a point-of-no-return in the final act of the story before spitting you back out onto the open world to let you finish anything else off.

Also I went back to AC, I don't think there are things like explosive gel predator takedown challenges, probably because Rocksteady didn't respawn walls in predator rooms in story mode when you returned (just the enemies, maybe vantage points). Also explosive gel auto detonate is the dumbest loving upgrade, don't ever take it until you need it (for the achievement) because it is counterproductive to trying to finish Worst Nightmare. There's a reason they removed it from AC after it debuted in AA, I guess.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Skoll posted:

Pretty broken.

However, if I remember correctly; Arkham City was near unplayable on release.

Can't speak to you PC gamers, but I got City on day one and never had any trouble. Origins, on the other hand, I had to stop for two weeks when Batman started falling through building into infinite nothingness.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Sober posted:

Yeah. I'm surprised no one is going :supaburn: about the predator challenges in Origins
Unless I'm misreading you, there's been a lot of angry internetting about how the challenges were set up this time.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

redbackground posted:

Unless I'm misreading you, there's been a lot of angry internetting about how the challenges were set up this time.

Yeah, the way they made the gadget selection and challenges strictly linear was really, really dumb and kinda goes against the studio's whole "we won't fix what isn't broken" ethos.

Anyway, for the other shameless Batwhores who bought the season pass, some new promo images were released for the Initiation challenge map DLC:

http://imgur.com/VRwNhce
http://imgur.com/sBFQbna

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 27, 2013

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Those preview pictures for the DLC look pretty cool. The concept art of the building reminds me a lot of the Batman Begins building in the mountain Bruce trained at (which I'm pretty sure is exactly what it's inspired from).

I hope the DLC is similar in length to Harley Quinn's Revenge for City (although more interesting, I hope!)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man, let me tell you the most interesting part of Batman was how he beat up ninjas in some random temple and not the loving streets of Gotham.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Man, let me tell you the most interesting part of Batman was how he beat up ninjas in some random temple and not the loving streets of Gotham.

Yeah man what the gently caress, why make a new location when they can just put those suckers in the city they already have?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Keeku posted:

Those preview pictures for the DLC look pretty cool. The concept art of the building reminds me a lot of the Batman Begins building in the mountain Bruce trained at (which I'm pretty sure is exactly what it's inspired from).

I hope the DLC is similar in length to Harley Quinn's Revenge for City (although more interesting, I hope!)

Harley's Revenge was very different from a challenge map.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

MrJacobs posted:

Harley's Revenge was very different from a challenge map.

Yeah. There's going to be another story DLC in addition to the Initiation challenge maps, but nothing has been announced about it to my knowledge.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Ooh, I didn't realize this was just a challenge map. I just remember hearing more story DLC was coming then heard of this DLC and got the two confused. Oh well, still hope it's more to it than "your final challenge is to defeat 10 ninjas!".

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Keeku posted:

Ooh, I didn't realize this was just a challenge map. I just remember hearing more story DLC was coming then heard of this DLC and got the two confused. Oh well, still hope it's more to it than "your final challenge is to defeat 10 ninjas!".
What if I told you it was...11 ninjas?!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

redbackground posted:

What if I told you it was...11 ninjas?!

Are you mad?!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I just hope Ninja Bruce Wayne is an interesting alternate character and not just a reskin.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I just hope Ninja Bruce Wayne is an interesting alternate character and not just a reskin.

I think so far, they've done a good job with making alternate characters feel unique. I really enjoyed using Robin in Harlequin's Revenge, and Joker in the small sequence in AO.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skoll posted:

I think so far, they've done a good job with making alternate characters feel unique. I really enjoyed using Robin in Harlequin's Revenge, and Joker in the small sequence in AO.

Usually they do. Deathstroke is a bit of a letdown though so I'm not sure. He was mostly a reskinned Robin.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

ImpAtom posted:

Usually they do. Deathstroke is a bit of a letdown though so I'm not sure. He was mostly a reskinned Robin.

Man, did anyone else hope he'd play like Raiden in Metal Gear Rising instead?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Man, did anyone else hope he'd play like Raiden in Metal Gear Rising instead?
The more I play him, the more it actually feels like it loops back around and he feels like a Robin reskin rather than being somewhat unique, just maybe slightly faster and without all the Robin features (detective vision w/ explosive radius, gliding, zip kick, baton shield, all those fruity looking baton twirls in AC).

Robin's Zip kick is the only redeeming feature in combat (or being able to drop on top of someone from a vantage point), that plus being able to glide. Deathstoke's Neural Gas is basically Robin's snap explosive (you stick it on a dude, then you decide when to detonate) except with much less range on it. The C4 on the ground is explosive gel anyway.

The only fun thing is Deathstroke has the remote claw, quickfire grappel gun has almost no frames if you do the follow up slam attack (baton smack vs Batman's clothesline and then slam). But I still loving hate not being able to glide in predator rooms. Makes trying to use vantage points pretty useless to navigate around quickly.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Is using the disruptor on snipers broken, or is it just me? Cause there's a loading hint about using it on them, but they just fire away like normal.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Orgophlax posted:

Is using the disruptor on snipers broken, or is it just me? Cause there's a loading hint about using it on them, but they just fire away like normal.
I don't know if it's supposed to be a bug or "feature" of the distruptor but yeah sometimes it just flat out consumes the shot but doesn't disable jack poo poo. Make sure you double check in detective mode before pouncing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
A cursory google search didn't tell me much - does Origins have a cheat code to use alternate skins in your first playthrough? That alone is going to determine whether or not I grab the Season Pass along with the base game on Friday.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

jivjov posted:

A cursory google search didn't tell me much - does Origins have a cheat code to use alternate skins in your first playthrough? That alone is going to determine whether or not I grab the Season Pass along with the base game on Friday.
If there is, nobody knows about it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

redbackground posted:

If there is, nobody knows about it.

Depressing :( I wanted to spend the entire game as Red Son Batman.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

jivjov posted:

Cheat codes? What do you think this is, 2002?

If it's not locked behind an achievement or DLC then you don't get it. Welcoming to gaming 2013.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kin posted:

If it's not locked behind an achievement or DLC then you don't get it. Welcoming to gaming 2013.

Arkham City had a cheat code to do exactly what he asked.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

ImpAtom posted:

Arkham City had a cheat code to do exactly what he asked.

Welp, never knew that. Yet another reason to like Rocksteady.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I spent the vast majority of my Arkham City playthrough as Terry from Batman Beyond. I guess with Origins, I'll just do the bare minimum of side content and leave it all for when I can have fun with alternate skins.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I used the 70s Neal Adams outfit all the time. That yellow bat-oval has gone out of style these days, but I liked it! Of course, I'm just waiting to be able to use the Adam West skin now.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I'm kind of sad they never put in the 1989 Tim Burton Batman... I liked that suit.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Skoll posted:

I'm kind of sad they never put in the 1989 Tim Burton Batman... I liked that suit.

It'd be great if someone could do a run-down of all these skins as I have no idea who most of them are.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Phylodox posted:

Jesus, those last two challenge rooms were hard, but I finally did it:

Now...on to City. Should be no problem, right?

gently caress, there's a 100% achievement? I did EVERYTHING in the game and new game+ (and finished the story portion of I Am The Night) but my save game is still locked at 99%. Any idea what I might be missing or is this another bug?

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Seventh Arrow posted:

I used the 70s Neal Adams outfit all the time. That yellow bat-oval has gone out of style these days, but I liked it! Of course, I'm just waiting to be able to use the Adam West skin now.

It was the best skin because somehow that steel blue still blended into most of the environments making it a practical choice.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

gently caress, there's a 100% achievement? I did EVERYTHING in the game and new game+ (and finished the story portion of I Am The Night) but my save game is still locked at 99%. Any idea what I might be missing or is this another bug?
That is for AA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Kin posted:

In addition to the code ImpAtom mentioned there was also a big head mode (like the N64 version of Goldeneye) cheat for Arkham City.

In other news, there was a patch for the Wii U version that makes the game even more unplayable. I can't get across the map without the game freezing and them crashing the entire console.

• Locked thread