Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Yesssss.

Also my video is up.

Also, I realized I was completely wrong about the guard. No matter when you use it it just reduces damage. The negation of damage only happened during the boss when I was in the Chaps Lightning mode.

In your professional opinion as someone who has played the demo, how much complaining will there be from people who don't understand the battle system, considering that still happens for 13 to this day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

On portable gaming I would say that Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions is the best Final Fantasy period (including the console games), but at that point you should just get the Tactics Ogre PSP remake because that is much better

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

chumbler posted:

In your professional opinion as someone who has played the demo, how much complaining will there be from people who don't understand the battle system, considering that still happens for 13 to this day?

I had a friend who watched a stream of the game not understand the combat system and I picked it up in five minutes while operating under a language I don't understand. If people cannot understand how the combat in this game works I dunno what to say? Go play a hack 'n slash like Revengeance or Devil May Cry?

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

I can't believe FF fans are still saying this stupid elitist crap.

And your friends are right, the combat looks like a confusing mess. I haven't seen long gameplay videos, but from a couple of trailers I haven't yet even been able to pick up if you can move freely or dodge in combat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BioMe posted:

I can't believe FF fans are still saying this stupid elitist crap.

And your friends are right, the combat looks like a confusing mess. I haven't seen long gameplay videos, but from a couple of trailers I haven't yet even been able to pick up if you can move freely or dodge in combat.

"I haven't watch any combat videos but I don't know how the combat plays" is pretty silly considering the dude posted a video of how the combat plays. I mean this isn't a case where we're discussing theoretical, the guy posted a video of himself playing and discussing the combat.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
He just posted a video of himself playing the game. edit: what he said ^

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

"I haven't watch any combat videos but I don't know how the combat plays" is pretty silly considering the dude posted a video of how the combat plays. I mean this isn't a case where we're discussing theoretical, the guy posted a video of himself playing and discussing the combat.

Holy poo poo. The point:

It's a pretty loving bad if the trailers don't clear the most basics questions about the gameplay you can possibly come up with. I wasn't actually complaining that I don't know, if I cared I would.

To be fair it might be because they would rather just have Lightning on a catwalk for two minutes so they simply don't remember to showcase the actual game properly.

BioMe fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 27, 2013

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ninjewtsu posted:

On portable gaming I would say that Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions is the best Final Fantasy period (including the console games), but at that point you should just get the Tactics Ogre PSP remake because that is much better

Especially since it's (Tactics) on iOS.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BioMe posted:

Holy poo poo. The point:

It's a pretty loving bad if the trailers don't clear the most basics questions about the gameplay you can possibly come up with. I wasn't actually complaining that I don't know, if I cared I would.

To be fair it might be because they would rather just have Lightning walk on a catwalk for two minutes so they simply don't remember to showcase the actual game properly.

Because they've put out several trailers dedicated entirely to gameplay which do nothing but show off the combat system and which answer your questions. Skip to about 2 minutes to get an answer to your controller question. for example

The 'sizzle' trailers don't have an in-depth combat system overview because they are sizzle trailers. The same as every Final Fantasy since at least Final Fantasy VII

Of course you also have ones which don't show the gameplay at all Of course this isn't really an inaccurate depiction of FFIV's combat...

As a side note, wow, they totally spoiled Aerith's death in the FFVII trailer.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 27, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

BioMe posted:

I'd love to see a trailer that says "You can now MOVE in combat!".

If you can't be bothered to watch the video, the four face buttons do different attacks. Using L1 or R1 will switch to a different class, and change the four abilities you can use. Each class needs time to recharge, so you should switch between them often.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

That loving Sned posted:

If you can't be bothered to watch the video, the four face buttons do different attacks. Using L1 or R1 will switch to a different class, and change the four abilities you can use. Each class needs time to recharge, so you should switch between them often.

Woah! Slow down that sounds WAY too complicated!

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Just saying, if someone who has no great interest in the game sees a few different trailers and still has no idea what the hell the game is about then you've probably lost a customer.

But you are right it's more of a marketing goof actually. Decided to check one of those proper gameplay videos and it does make a lot more sense when they actually focus on more than their awesome cinematic animations. I guess Ferguson's friend just didn't care either, or he's exaggerating the extent he didn't understand it. Or he's not smart enough for JRPGs :smug:

BioMe fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 27, 2013

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
So it's Valkyrie profile but Lightning is every character?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

goldjas posted:

So it's Valkyrie profile but Lightning is every character?

It seems to have some elements in common but it's way closer to FFXIII with a single character that you swap than it is VP. The juggling (what little of it I've seen) seems fairly automated and it seems the combat will be more about managing your switching and blocking to keep your combo going with minimal damage.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

Unironically would have immediately made me interested in playing it.

Dear god this series does lower your standards.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BioMe posted:

Just saying, if someone who has no great interest in the game sees a few different trailers and still has no idea what the hell the game is about then you've probably lost a customer.

Have you seriously never seen a Final Fantasy trailer before or something? This is almost all they've done. Hell, it's what most RPGs do because RPG combat doesn't make for very exciting trailers. Even stuff like Dragon Age has CGI trailers because watching a guy dramatically slaughter a dragon sells more copies than watching a guy micromanaging his positioning so you're not catching your tank in an AoE.

They even do this for games that actually do have more dynamically interesting gameplay. Shiny cutscene bullshit sells more copies than gameplay footage.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Oh hey, you can access a different set of costumes in the demo. There's the red mage looking one, the dragoon wearing shades, and another that I have no idea.

edit: Just managed to do a counter as the dragoon when guarding. That's pretty cool

Squallege fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 27, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gaseous Snake posted:

Oh hey, you can access a different set of costumes in the demo. There's the red mage looking one, the dragoon wearing shades, and another that I have no idea.

edit: Just managed to do a counter as the dragoon when guarding. That's pretty cool

Oh drat, I need to check this out later that sounds pretty sweet.

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Shiny cutscene bullshit sells more copies than gameplay footage.

In its day, Knights of Round was both!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Abitha Denton posted:

In its day, Knights of Round was both!

Yeah, you'll notice that when the FFVII trailer I posted above goes to gameplay footage, it's almost universally of the summon sequences. They were Square's bread and butter when it came to doing that in FFVII and beyond.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, you'll notice that when the FFVII trailer I posted above goes to gameplay footage, it's almost universally of the summon sequences. They were Square's bread and butter when it came to doing that in FFVII and beyond.

Just let it go. I'm not going to start an argument about false equivalencies in marketing with you of all people.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Oh drat, I need to check this out later that sounds pretty sweet.

I found that the one that has a floral pattern has no guard but it does have a pretty good dodge. The dragoon if you do... something will follow up its attack (probably a specific combo) with a finishing move that'll do at least 2000 damage. You can also edit the colors in the demo but for the dragoon it was specific parts of the costume. I have no idea about the red mage though. I think I accidentally threw it away.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaseous Snake posted:

I found that the one that has a floral pattern has no guard but it does have a pretty good dodge. The dragoon if you do... something will follow up its attack (probably a specific combo) with a finishing move that'll do at least 2000 damage. You can also edit the colors in the demo but for the dragoon it was specific parts of the costume. I have no idea about the red mage though. I think I accidentally threw it away.

Can you equip the same costume multiple times or is it limited? Like could you go from Red Dragoon to Blue Dragoon?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Can you equip the same costume multiple times or is it limited? Like could you go from Red Dragoon to Blue Dragoon?

Doesn't seem that you can double up on one set. Unless there's more than one dragoon costume you can purchase in the full game.

Squallege fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 27, 2013

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
They've preassembled sets for you in the demo. You can group together any outfit, weapon, shield and set of four skills to assemble a role or costume. The exception being some equipment have skills locked into them.

The outfits themselves are geared towards strength or magic or whatever, but nothing's stopping you from dressing like a black mage with a buster sword and physical skills.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pichupal posted:

They've preassembled sets for you in the demo. You can group together any outfit, weapon, shield and set of four skills to assemble a role or costume. The exception being some equipment have skills locked into them.

The outfits themselves are geared towards strength or magic or whatever, but nothing's stopping you from dressing like a black mage with a buster sword and physical skills.

I was just more curious if it would be possible to find the least-crappy costume and equip three of it in different colors, although I guess there should be at least three in the game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Let me complain about old games for a while.

FFVII. I'm in the final dungeon, I'm overpowered as gently caress. Everything dies to two hits from Cloud's sword. Even the fearsome-looking black dragon (it's a random encounter) goes down like a chump in a few more hits. After I've been trucking along nicely for a while, BAM, one of the dragons busts out Ultima. It does over 3k damage to all of my guys, which is A) more than my non-Cloud members have HP, and B) more damage than the goddamn Ultimate Weapon did with his ultima beam. I instantly lose, back to the start, gently caress you do it again.

What the gently caress is this, the return of WARMECH? There isn't even anything you can do about it besides having more levels/HP (because magic defense doesn't exist despite the game saying it does and you can't guard or cover it), and I'm already overleveled for the area. Of course now I'll just run from them, but christ. That caught me more than a little by surprise. I suppose that might have been the point, but in that case it was a really lovely point.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

That loving Sned posted:

Oh God, the graphics. I thought they would be slightly better when they're not restricted to the DS's awful 3D capabilities.

The Nintendo 64 had texture filtering in 1996. Even on the PSOne without any texture filtering though, Final Fantasy IX's character models poo poo all over these.

This could just be me being a weirdo, but the main thing keeping me away from these mobile ports is the absolutely bare-bones, basic GUI/font they use. I'm sure Dimensions could be fun, but I'll be damned if I can look at it for more than 10 minutes without wanting to take a nap.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I absolutely hate the end of the final dungeon for VII. I may not have done all the extra bosses or gotten Knights of the Round but I was able to get Ultima Weapon and the goddamn Iron Giants would murder me nearly every time. I was even able to beat the game somehow but coming back to it the dungeon is too brutal.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Amppelix posted:

FFVII. I'm in the final dungeon, I'm overpowered as gently caress. Everything dies to two hits from Cloud's sword. Even the fearsome-looking black dragon (it's a random encounter) goes down like a chump in a few more hits. After I've been trucking along nicely for a while, BAM, one of the dragons busts out Ultima. It does over 3k damage to all of my guys, which is A) more than my non-Cloud members have HP, and B) more damage than the goddamn Ultimate Weapon did with his ultima beam. I instantly lose, back to the start, gently caress you do it again.

What the gently caress is this, the return of WARMECH? There isn't even anything you can do about it besides having more levels/HP (because magic defense doesn't exist despite the game saying it does and you can't guard or cover it), and I'm already overleveled for the area. Of course now I'll just run from them, but christ. That caught me more than a little by surprise. I suppose that might have been the point, but in that case it was a really lovely point.

"Nothing you can do but more levels/HP" is a false reputation a lot of RPGs get from people who don't understand battle systems.

The dragon counters magical attacks with Ultima sometimes. Don't cast offensive magic if you can't survive it. :ms: Of course you don't know this the first time through but the immediate reaction should not be "welp guess I need to grind this is bullshit!" it's "why did that happen?" You can also mitigate the damage with MBarrier, Sadness or Hero Drinks or just Manipulate the dragon or something.

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 27, 2013

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

bobservo posted:

This could just be me being a weirdo, but the main thing keeping me away from these mobile ports is the absolutely bare-bones, basic GUI/font they use. I'm sure Dimensions could be fun, but I'll be damned if I can look at it for more than 10 minutes without wanting to take a nap.

When did Rydia apparently become such a little princess too? She was always pretty badass when she shows back up in IV after her absence, kind of an independent, grown up in monster-ville sort of attitude. Why does she now seem close to fainting as she exclaims delicately over, well, I don't know who those people are, but children?

Is it just me or that screenshot, or is she like that in TAY?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Theglavwen posted:

Is it just me or that screenshot, or is she like that in TAY?

The latter. I wouldn't play TAY if you're expecting a good story or anything. The combat is fine, but it's just kind of.. more FF4, yet dumber.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I messed with Dragoon, the Red Mage outfit, and Lightning's frilly outfit and they all seem interesting. The Dragoon and latter classes are clearly meant for more offensive capabilities, but you can take a ton of damage using them if you don't dodge properly and the Red Mage one seems like it could inflict debilitating abilities? The Dragoon also seems to be able to stagger people like crazy because I took down the boss like three times with it, it was ridiculous.

peekaboo gangster
Sep 12, 2003

Gaseous Snake posted:

I absolutely hate the end of the final dungeon for VII. I may not have done all the extra bosses or gotten Knights of the Round but I was able to get Ultima Weapon and the goddamn Iron Giants would murder me nearly every time. I was even able to beat the game somehow but coming back to it the dungeon is too brutal.

A million times this, but for the awful end dungeon in III, more specifically the DS version. Brutal doesn't even begin to describe what the developers put you through in the endgame. The last place you can restock supplies is outside of the Ancient's Maze, and after trudging through that dungeon, the last possible place you can save is right outside the Crystal Tower. From here, you can attempt to get to the top and fight Xande, or head into the bonus dungeon in the basement for the ultimate weapons - either way is a long and painful trek through powerful endgame enemies, and I don't recommend doing the former without having first done the latter. Once you beat Xande, surprise!! There's a whole extra dungeon with 4 extra bosses before the actual final boss (which, woe be to you if you accidentally talk to it before defeating all of those monsters, as it is invincible). Keep in mind that if you get a game over, you will restart from your save outside of Crystal Tower. The game doesn't care whether you had just walked in and got wiped by a trash mob or if you have the Cloud of Darkness down to 1HP before she Particle Beams you for the fiftieth time, you're back out on your rear end staring up at a giant crystalline phallic structure. I understand, vaguely, not having the resources to encode save points on the NES, but not on the DS version? They had some crappy wifi mooglenet mail sidequest, surely they could have spent 2 minutes to come up with a "save point" resource!

On the complete opposite end of the spectrum of Final Dungeons you've got Ultimecia's Castle, which is probably my favorite due to the interesting puzzles, great music, neat mechanic of "locked abilities," and save points (which, I will admit, start as a locked ability, but you can unlock them).

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Amppelix posted:

Do you mean your party members only had <3k HP left, or that it's their max HP? Because really I usually gave my party enough HP Plus materia that a 3000 hit attack wouldn't cause a problem as long as they were all decently healed up

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Amppelix posted:

FFVII. I'm in the final dungeon, I'm overpowered as gently caress. Everything dies to two hits from Cloud's sword. Even the fearsome-looking black dragon (it's a random encounter) goes down like a chump in a few more hits. After I've been trucking along nicely for a while, BAM, one of the dragons busts out Ultima. It does over 3k damage to all of my guys
If you wipe to an attack that does a piddly 3k in FF7, you are, by definition, not actually "overpowered as gently caress."

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

bobservo posted:

No, it's not weird, I get the same feeling. It looks too nice and neat. It has no soul. Most of all it contributes to that "RPGMaker" feel.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Even though TAY iOS is the single least necessary game ever made, if they rebalanced things based off FF4 DS's engine I'll be tempted to get it just to have Haley not suck.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Squallege posted:

There's a demo out for Gaga Returns: Final Fantasy XIII on the Japanese PSN if anyone's interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Kefka's Tower was a cool final dungeon. I liked how it was an ugly, chaotic, technological nightmare and never went into a space/extradimensional/crystal theme at any point. And while I know some people hate it for the party switching mechanics (and I always dread doing the Phoenix Cave myself), I think it's actually perfect for the game which is about an ensemble instead of a protagonist and I always appreciate when a JRPG doesn't mysteriously leave half or more of the player characters out of the final dungeon/battle because uh I dunno you have to form a party and only three people fit in a party.

About a third of my non-trivial number of posts in this thread are praising FF6.