Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Yakattak posted:

What year? I know on 08+ C Diff +/- lets you pick from less (-) traction and (+) more traction. But isn't full lock true 50/50?

Actually, full open without a rearward bias is true 50:50. Without any lockup from the diff the torque split will always be 50:50 no matter what the traction. So if you have one side on ice and the other on pavement, the side with pavement will only the the amount of torque the side on ice can generate. So while that wheel on ice will spin really fast, it might only take 5 lb-ft to do. Therefore the wheel on pavement only gets 5 lb-ft and so you don't go anywhere. With any amount of lockup, the torque split is dependent on the traction and amount of lockup. So the easy example is a 100% locked diff where only one axle has traction. All of the torque will get sent to that end through the locked diff. With a partial amount of lockup the bias will be somewhere in the middle.

The auto (+) and (-) shift the dccd map toward more or less lockup. So on an auto-x course for example you might use (-) to keep the center from locking up excessively and causing understeer, while on snow you would want to use (+) so the car has more traction and dccd reacts more quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

c355n4 posted:

Sooo, the Outback threw a P2138 code. Car immediately cuts gas and requires a restart to get going again. Sounds like the TPS system has an issue something about mistmatched voltages from the pedal sensors. I plan on cleaning the contacts and connectors first. But, in the meantime I've been compiling part #s for things that might need to be replaced. I know the TPS by the throttle body is #22633AA151. I can't figure out what the part # for the pedal sensor is though.

2004 Subaru Outback 2.5l automatic

Anyone have any insights?

36010AE041 seems to be the Accelerator Pedal Assembly.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I've had my new Impreza for only a few days but already I like it more than my last one (that got wrecked). It's just so spacious (Hatch vs Sedan), and the facelift 03 model looks so much nicer than the 90s design.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

I have a 2002 Impreza TS hatch, with 139,XXX km (~86/87,000 miles). As far as I know, it has the original exhaust, and the catalytic converter is starting to go - I swear I'm even starting to get the odd whiff of mildly-rotten egg in the cabin.

A local guy has a genuine (not replica) Borla unequal length header and high-flow cat, both with 20,000km (~12,000mi). The header has never been wrapped, and has no cracks. He also has a factory STI catback, to round out the system. So far, I know I'd need gaskets, and front/rear O2 sensors (which look fairly pricey).

My biggest question is, he had it on a 2000 RS (sedan). From the digging I've done, it looks like the engine is the same, so would everything fit my car?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

jamal posted:

Actually, full open without a rearward bias is true 50:50. Without any lockup from the diff the torque split will always be 50:50 no matter what the traction. So if you have one side on ice and the other on pavement, the side with pavement will only the the amount of torque the side on ice can generate. So while that wheel on ice will spin really fast, it might only take 5 lb-ft to do. Therefore the wheel on pavement only gets 5 lb-ft and so you don't go anywhere. With any amount of lockup, the torque split is dependent on the traction and amount of lockup. So the easy example is a 100% locked diff where only one axle has traction. All of the torque will get sent to that end through the locked diff. With a partial amount of lockup the bias will be somewhere in the middle.

The auto (+) and (-) shift the dccd map toward more or less lockup. So on an auto-x course for example you might use (-) to keep the center from locking up excessively and causing understeer, while on snow you would want to use (+) so the car has more traction and dccd reacts more quickly.

I'm driving up to a snow rally in a couple weekends and can't wait to try out my DCCDpro in the snow, although I wish the gc8's had thrust vectoring.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Speaking of AC, mine just died on the trip to Miami. Any tips for troubleshooting?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Wrar posted:

Speaking of AC, mine just died on the trip to Miami. Any tips for troubleshooting?

Does the compressor kick on when toggled? So you have a way off testing the pressure in the lines?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm not sure. It feels colder for a second and then is air-temp again.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Wrar posted:

I'm not sure. It feels colder for a second and then is air-temp again.

Probably low pressure on the refrigerant.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

So my car got written off, and I need to get a new one.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Subaru-Impreza-2003/SSE-AD-2191952/?Cr=0&sdmvc=1

How's that look? I'd offer him maybe 5 grand because I'll need rego in less than a month and it has comparatively high KMs. My little brother is going to need a car when he finally gets a license, and I was talking to mum about about it I've pretty much got a guaranteed resale if I bought that in 2 or so years. I really liked my RX, it was slow but I loved it. As far as I can tell that thing is the same but newer and a hatch and not as cool a colour.

Dude for 6,300 you can find a cheap 99 GT foz and have all the bolt on WRX wizzardry with somewhere to bone out your bird in the back. I 'm in the same boat atm, I'm after a cheap manual Gt Foz i only need it for 6 months then i'm going to sell it, so i want a clean straight manual. My Brumby is on it's last legs, loving E10 is killing it.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

VelociBacon posted:

I'm driving up to a snow rally in a couple weekends and can't wait to try out my DCCDpro in the snow, although I wish the gc8's had thrust vectoring.

I'm racing in a snow rally next weekend and can't wait to try out my DCCDPro :D

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

MrZig posted:

Did you want that old axle?

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

MrZig posted:

I really want to know how well the DCCDPro does. I do a bunch of ice/snow racing and want to know if it's worth it or not to buy the DCCDPro.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

G-Mach posted:

I really want to know how well the DCCDPro does. I do a bunch of ice/snow racing and want to know if it's worth it or not to buy the DCCDPro.

If you already have a DCCD for ice racing you're better off just setting it to full 50:50 with the standard controller I believe. I think that's one of the times they say in the DCCDpro instructions to just adjust it all the way to lock anyways.

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.
I put some Subaru-sized wheels and tires up on SA Mart and the selling thread, if anyone needs some new shoes (225/40/18 unmounted Blizzaks and same size Pilot Super Sports on 5x100 Enkei EKM3s):

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3589909

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

So I received my A/C belt and pulley. Anyone have a good guide on how to install them? I mainly just don't understand how to tighten the tensioner.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Yakattak posted:

So I received my A/C belt and pulley. Anyone have a good guide on how to install them? I mainly just don't understand how to tighten the tensioner.

I don't know what Subaru you have, but these are the instructions for my EJ205 WRX, and it was similar on my EJ251 2.5RS. You loosen the lock bolt on the tensionser (the bolt that goes towards the block), and then you can turn the adjusting bolt (the long bolt that goes towards the ground) to set the tension on the A/C (rear) belt.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
I accidently put a hole in the rad in my rally car :(

What's the best way to fix this? My race is in a week. Tig weld?

VelociBacon posted:

Did you want that old axle?

Nah, thanks though.

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug
I recently took my 13 STI in because it was making a squealing noise when I turned and the car was under load (going slowly in reverse for example). They replaced the power steering pump under warranty even though I could barely get the car to reproduce the sound. Apparently it's a known issue on the STIs. It's been about three weeks and the sound is still there although slightly less prevalent, it still squeals and feels like the power steering gets really heavy. Do I need to bleed the lines or should I just take it back in? The problem is I'll need to reproduce the sound and it doesn't happen all the time. Any tips on what I could look at or tell them to look at?

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I don't know what the failure mode is on the MY13 P-S pumps that's causing them to replace them, but when mine went out last year (05) I noticed bubbles in the power steering fluid after driving around a while (in addition to the symptoms you describe). If you've got air in the lines, I would expect to see that.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Accessport came in. Pants were shat. Why did I wait so long to get one.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anyone know what a decent range would be for fuel pressure on my 98 STi? Been having what feels like fuel cuts on the occasional hard acceleration, hoping to check this first.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
43 psi + the manifold pressure

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

VelociBacon posted:

Anyone know what a decent range would be for fuel pressure on my 98 STi? Been having what feels like fuel cuts on the occasional hard acceleration, hoping to check this first.

Sure you're not overboosting?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks jamal.

MrZig posted:

Sure you're not overboosting?

I haven't been looking at the gauge as it happened but I haven't had any issue with overboosting before, it's actually very well controlled, even on 2nd gear pulls it gets up to the targeted 16psi and stays rock steady - doesn't come over it for a split second and then settle back down like it did with the stock ECU. I thought maybe it was detecting knock but when it was being tuned it still detected it (initially) and didn't cut fuel. I did have my redline dropped from 8k to 7800 rpm as they were having issues with ignition timing on the last 200rpm. I wonder if it was a fuel availability/pressure issue.

I'm getting the front axle swapped on Monday at my tuning shop, was going to get them to take a peek at the PFC to see if any codes or w/e are in storage. I should mention that the problems I was having before with the car occaisionally not starting when warm have gone away - a ground cable to the battery was a bit loose, tightened it and haven't had a problem since.

si
Apr 26, 2004
Sounds more like it's detecting knock, especially if it started to happen as the weather got colder. Don't know what capabilities those older ECUs had, but that'll happen if the IAT adjustment stuff isn't done right and the car is tuned in the summer.

Again not sure on the older ECUs - but there's different levels of knock detection. It will definitely feel like a fuel cut if it goes into the "serious" knock detection stuff.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

si posted:

Sounds more like it's detecting knock, especially if it started to happen as the weather got colder. Don't know what capabilities those older ECUs had, but that'll happen if the IAT adjustment stuff isn't done right and the car is tuned in the summer.

Again not sure on the older ECUs - but there's different levels of knock detection. It will definitely feel like a fuel cut if it goes into the "serious" knock detection stuff.

It's running a standalone ECU but that could still be the case.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Alright, my Volvo is being an utter poo poo and I'm not spending money on yet another automatic transmission to throw at it. Here I am with some questions:

I've found a 1999 Outback "with a blown HG" that I'm going to inspect later today. Am I looking at the 2.2 or the 2.5? I know it's Legacy based for the 2nd gen, and a head gasket replacement with a water pump/timing belt is looking to run me about $250 (HG, head bolt set, timing belt/pulley set with WP). A known Subaru owner and greasemonkey buddy of mine says that an in-car head job is possible in four hour or so start-to-finish, and only requires about a pint of blood/sweat/tears instead of requiring me to pull the whole motor. However, a motor pull isn't really out of the question for me anyway, and I could do a lot more with the whole thing out (this may be a BAD thing, I kinda need a bigger car than my Miata quick).

I'm thinking offer $500?

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
It's the 2.5L.

Offer $500 and see what the seller says.

si
Apr 26, 2004
I would check the radiator out while you're at it. That era tended to blow the plastic endtanks apart from overheating from the HGs.

Also, if it's an auto, make sure the trans isn't doing anything weird. That 4EAT era had some weird issues (though I think always from poor maintenance).

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

2.5L as said.

There is no way in hell I'd do a dual cam HG job in car. The local guy who does these as his bread and butter pulls dual cams but does SOHC in car. If you want a 500 dollar project go for it, a 2.2 will also drop in and not be a terrible motor.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
1999 was the year they transitioned to SOHC 2.5 engine, so there is a good chance it's SOHC and can be done without pulling it.

That being said, it's still a full day job, and I pull SOHCs because I fined it easier even though it takes longer.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

The bottom ends were phase 2 blocks, but the heads were still DOHC and terrible.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Slow is Fast posted:

The bottom ends were phase 2 blocks, but the heads were still DOHC and terrible.

The B11 is DOHC (produced through May 1999) and the B12 is SOHC (FEB 99 onwards). In conclusion, don't buy a 1999!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I REALLY got to begin rebuilding the 06. But to be hoenst, I have no real idea what to do with it. Tarmac rally car? Gravel? Fast road car? Psychopathic H6 turbo? Stick a 20B rotary in it? hosed if I know.

si
Apr 26, 2004

Cat Terrist posted:

I REALLY got to begin rebuilding the 06. But to be hoenst, I have no real idea what to do with it. Tarmac rally car? Gravel? Fast road car? Psychopathic H6 turbo? Stick a 20B rotary in it? hosed if I know.

Nice fun/reliable daily driver?

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
So a follow up to this:

TacoHavoc posted:

My girlfriend has a 2010 forester that has apparently only had four wheel studs in the rear for over a year. She's up for inspection so I've got to fix it. Two questions:

1: is this as simple as remove wheel, brakes, and tone ring, press out old snapped stud, pull in new stud with washers and lug nut? Or am I missing something in there?

2: Where is the best place to actually buy these parts (new stud and lug)? It's five bucks worth of stuff, which doesn't meet the genuinesubaruparts minimum order.

Help!

1: It was even easier than that. Just had to align the wheel flange with a gap in the drum parking brake, bang the old one out, and pull the new one in. Two minute operation.

2: Had to go to a dealer. Dorman has a part number for the wheel stud that subaru uses on literally everything made in the last ten years, but nobody (autozone, napa, etc.) seemed to carry it. Trip to the dealer and five bucks later I had a stud and lug.

3: BONUS ROUND: Driving the car to the garage, I noticed the front brakes were grinding like the world was ending. The rear end was shuddering when braking from highway down to offramp speeds. I pulled all four wheels and basically found this:

Good god. After I put a new set of rotors on the front and new pads all around, I let my girlfriend try it out. She about sent me through the windshield stopping at the first stop sign. Fun times.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Cat Terrist posted:

Autocross superstar. Do you guys have a national racing association that has an autocross rulebook or something?

You call it gymkhana right?

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

Cat Terrist posted:

Go against your racing nature and get a lift kit. I bet you haven't done that one yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

TacoHavoc posted:

Good god. After I put a new set of rotors on the front and new pads all around, I let my girlfriend try it out. She about sent me through the windshield stopping at the first stop sign. Fun times.

Non-car people don't understand when something is horribly hosed.