Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008
Any good write-ups on the going away of unlimited and the new plans? I went for upgrade today and the dude tried to give me a plan that cost $15 more for only 2gb, he wouldnt even answer questions about the plans, just told me i couldnt chose anything. So I left and went to chat on the Verizon website, after raising the same questions the person im chatting with says there's an emergency in the building and cuts me off.

edit: nm i guess, after being dicked around by 2 chat people I called and got clear explanation.

AllDogsGoodDogs fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ProjektorBoy posted:

Can you shed some more light on this Chrome battery drain bug? I've been using it for easily over a year, on various devices (Moto, HTC, and Samsung) and I've never heard of, nor have I experienced it doing that. I've only ever faced the location drain bug and Maps bugs.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/260857-chrome-draining-battery.html

Some people say the browser is behaving for them and only taking 3-5%. Mine was routinely taking 25%+ and occasionally even drawing more from the battery than the screen. The first G2 I returned (the one that couldn't hold a WiFi signal) drained 10% of its battery on 4G while I was standing in line for a movie, and I've got screen brightness at 20%.

I haven't rooted the second phone yet, but when I do, installing Greenify will be one of the first things that gets loaded.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 27, 2013

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

BIG HEADLINE posted:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/260857-chrome-draining-battery.html

Some people say the browser is behaving for them and only taking 3-5%. Mine was routinely taking 25%+ and occasionally even drawing more from the battery than the screen. The first G2 I returned (the one that couldn't hold a WiFi signal) drained 10% of its battery on 4G while I was standing in line for a movie, and I've got screen brightness at 20%.

I haven't rooted the second phone yet, but when I do, installing Greenify will be one of the first things that gets loaded.

Stock Verizon G2.
Zero battery issues. Like getting 2-3 days good unless I play infinite black a bunch. You make me feel lucky.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

JSARSOM posted:

Any good write-ups on the going away of unlimited and the new plans? I went for upgrade today and the dude tried to give me a plan that cost $15 more for only 2gb, he wouldnt even answer questions about the plans, just told me i couldnt chose anything. So I left and went to chat on the Verizon website, after raising the same questions the person im chatting with says there's an emergency in the building and cuts me off.

edit: nm i guess, after being dicked around by 2 chat people I called and got clear explanation.

Sure,

Verizon stopped offering unlimited data July 7th, 2011. They also enacted a policy effective June 28th 2012 that says upgrades processed on lines having unlimited data will no longer be grandfathered.

This has been discussed ad nauseum in the 2 1/2 years since in this thread. I'd like to ask if you've been living under a rock since then but still using a droid incredible is probably punishment enough, and you would probably find that question to be rude.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

JSARSOM posted:

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/09/17/keep-unlimited-data-verizon-upgrade/

TL;DR: Easiest (and unfortunately, priciest) way to keep unlimited is to buy full retail. Wait for a sale or big coupon code/promo.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Got Verizon to push my upgrade 4 months back to its original 20 month date, and ordered a MAXX from Amazon. Can't wait for that sweet sweet battery life. Anyone else who got screwed be polite to the chat person and they can make an account note. Then I had to call in and a supervisor had to move it but it worked.

DirtySanchez
Jul 2, 2002
Can anyone provide some guidance regarding selling my unlimited plan? I've got 2 Iphones and a dumb phone, 700 minutes, unlimited text and is not in a contract. I'm looking to move over to my parents AT&T account as it's cheaper.

I spoke with a Verizon rep and she never heard of it and said the unlimited would go away if I did transfer liability. I basically ignored her ignorance on the fact that it exists as I know it's being done.

My questions are how much of a hassle is it? If I sell this on Ebay is it a 30 minute or so process to for the transfer to happen? Will I know if the unlimited transferred to the new person? I don't want to be scammed by the buyer and say the unlimited transfer never happened (i.e. they got bumped to a share everything) and have to deal with those headaches. Any other advice you can provide would be appreciated. Oh, ballpark price for this? I've watched a few auctions that never were bidded on. Not looking to make a killing, just as painless a sale as possible. Thanks!

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

You call in and say you're transferring the liability for one of your lines (or the whole account) to someone and provide the rep with that person's number. They call and do the transfer with the 3rd party. That person now owns that number on their own account. It CAN take just a few minutes to knock out, especially if that person already has a Verizon account.

That said, I'm in the market for an unlimited account, if you're interested shoot me a PM.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Just had a rep tell me the 6gb max plan only activates if I sign up for Verizon Edge. Haha nope.

Is there something beyond typing in the number or what because I swear this very question has come up in the thread before. Or do I just play the call again and get someone else game?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Psion posted:

Just had a rep tell me the 6gb max plan only activates if I sign up for Verizon Edge. Haha nope.

Is there something beyond typing in the number or what because I swear this very question has come up in the thread before. Or do I just play the call again and get someone else game?

That was true initially, but it was expanded to all accounts within 2 weeks. Rep is an idiot, or is lying to get Edge sales (probably an idiot). Go or call back and insist on it, and complain to a super if you get blocked again.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

hoobajoo posted:

That was true initially, but it was expanded to all accounts within 2 weeks. Rep is an idiot, or is lying to get Edge sales (probably an idiot). Go or call back and insist on it, and complain to a super if you get blocked again.

Cool, thanks. I doubt they're open tomorrow so I'll enjoy calling on Friday along with everyone else ever. I should've done this weeks ago but I got a temporary case of the stupid, I guess. He just told me "I put it in and it didn't work" after I gave him the SFO number so I have no idea.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Psion posted:

Cool, thanks. I doubt they're open tomorrow so I'll enjoy calling on Friday along with everyone else ever. I should've done this weeks ago but I got a temporary case of the stupid, I guess. He just told me "I put it in and it didn't work" after I gave him the SFO number so I have no idea.

Sounds like a system error, more than anything else. And make sure you're actually talking to a Verizon corporate employee and not some indirect agent. Indirects have a different set of procedures and incentives which, in addition to being less knowledgeable because they need to know other things besides VZW knowledge, encourage more shitbag tactics in sales.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Edit: nm

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 28, 2013

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Psion posted:

I'm in the same boat as you, upgraded 2 1/2 weeks ago thinking I could only do 2 GB w/o Edge. Guess I'll be making calls too on Friday. Thanks for the info hoobajoo!

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
With Amazon having a sale on the MAXX I'm looking to upgrade. Amazon says they offer the upgrade if your line is available for one after the 22nd month of a 24 month contract. I've had my phone available for an upgrade almost 2 years (the original Motorola Droid). Is this to long of a time that Amazon won't let my upgrade?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
You have an upgrade available, it doesn't matter how long it's been available for.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Digital Jedi posted:

With Amazon having a sale on the MAXX I'm looking to upgrade. Amazon says they offer the upgrade if your line is available for one after the 22nd month of a 24 month contract. I've had my phone available for an upgrade almost 2 years (the original Motorola Droid). Is this to long of a time that Amazon won't let my upgrade?

There is no expiration date on upgrades with Verizon; if you are month-to-month, you can upgrade unless your account's not in good standing or something like that.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
My line is on my parents family plan and I have no reason to believe the account is in bad standing. I guess I'll either contact Amazon or Verizon tomorrow and see why I can't get the upgrade.

Edit: Finally got it to work. And placed the order. Can't wait to receive it on Wednesday. Going from 2.2.3 to the newest Android version is going to be so nice.

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 30, 2013

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Any recommendations on nano sim to micro sim adaptors? Seems like the everything on Amazon is junk.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

waffle iron posted:

Any recommendations on nano sim to micro sim adaptors? Seems like the everything on Amazon is junk.

They don't exactly have to be great, you're just sizing up.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

The digitizer on my Droid R2D2 seems to be going haywire, so I'm probably going to have to replace the phone. I can't do upgrade pricing on a brand new phone or I'll lose my unlimited data (I got in just before they discontinued it), so that's absolutely out of the question. I'm looking at getting an older phone off eBay or something and if I have to get a cheap stopgap until our tax refund comes in next year and I can get one that'll last longer, so be it. I'd prefer it has a slide-out keyboard because any time I text someone I refuse to use text-speak and because it's just easier for me. Additionally, while I'd like to keep the phone as cheap as possible, I'd also rather it not be a complete piece of poo poo. Any suggestions?

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

ManiacClown posted:

The digitizer on my Droid R2D2 seems to be going haywire, so I'm probably going to have to replace the phone. I can't do upgrade pricing on a brand new phone or I'll lose my unlimited data (I got in just before they discontinued it), so that's absolutely out of the question. I'm looking at getting an older phone off eBay or something and if I have to get a cheap stopgap until our tax refund comes in next year and I can get one that'll last longer, so be it. I'd prefer it has a slide-out keyboard because any time I text someone I refuse to use text-speak and because it's just easier for me. Additionally, while I'd like to keep the phone as cheap as possible, I'd also rather it not be a complete piece of poo poo. Any suggestions?

The closest thing to what you're asking for is a Droid 4. It at least has Jellybean 4.1.2 on it, to go along with quite a robust keyboard. However, it uses an old chipset that's a battery hog. (It's a chipset sibling to the Droid Bionic & Razr). There was also the Samsung Stratosphere II that I think shared a chipset with the SGS3 but you probably want to test out Touchwiz to see how much it may annoy you.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

ManiacClown posted:

I'd prefer it has a slide-out keyboard : I'd also rather it not be a complete piece of poo poo. Any suggestions?

No such beast exists.

ProjektorBoy posted:

There was also the Samsung Stratosphere II that I think shared a chipset with the SGS3 but you probably want to test out Touchwiz to see how much it may annoy you.

Its not really as good as a GS3. It's also a buggy piece of crap.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 29, 2013

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Digital Jedi posted:

What price are hou seeing. It for? Its been $99 foran upgrade for a
bit,and I'm holding out just to see if vzw or amazon has a crazy(er) sale today or Monday

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Roundboy posted:

What price are hou seeing. It for? Its been $99 foran upgrade for a
bit,and I'm holding out just to see if vzw or amazon has a crazy(er) sale today or Monday

Verizon's sale price is still 199 on it, according to their ad. I wouldn't expect to find it any cheaper than $99 (except Amazon's new customer price of $69.)

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Mighty Horse posted:

No such beast exists.

All right, to refine my statement: as little a piece of poo poo as possible.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm just going to put it out there.

You are going to have to let go of the physical keyboard because they just aren't making phones with them anymore. You might be able to get something like a Droid 4 right now which isn't a total clusterfuck, but eventually you are going to have to let it go because nothing new is coming out or has come out since then.

Basically, adapt to on screen keyboard life now to open up more options because you are going to have to adapt to it eventually.

All that said, the OG Droid's digitizer flakes out when the battery is getting shaky, so you might be able to solve your immediate issue with a new battery. I have no idea how you are still using an OG Droid though, it would be maddeningly slow.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

IIRC the R2D2 was a special edition of the Droid 2, which isn't AS bad, but still pretty tremendously bad these days.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
So is the promo code I need to give for the 6GB loyalty max plan SFO 793798 or just 793798?

Also, if a few people on my family plan upgrade their phones through Amazon, then we can use the promo code to bump their lines up to 6GB, correct?

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 29, 2013

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

If I assume liability on an unlimited line, am I required to have a device on that line or can I just put it on a SIM and hold onto it for a bit? It was my understanding that I MUST have a Verizon device ready at the time of assumption.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

bull3964 posted:

All that said, the OG Droid's digitizer flakes out when the battery is getting shaky, so you might be able to solve your immediate issue with a new battery. I have no idea how you are still using an OG Droid though, it would be maddeningly slow.

I actually got a replacement battery not that long ago. Should I try to go back to my old battery and see if that helps or even order another replacement battery? If I can get away with not buying a different phone I'd rather not despite my existing phone being oft-maddeningly lovely.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

big mean giraffe posted:

Verizon's sale price is still 199 on it, according to their ad. I wouldn't expect to find it any cheaper than $99 (except Amazon's new customer price of $69.)

Noted.. just bought it via amazon. This was my worst case, same price as the other day but I just need to wait until Tuesday for a new phone which I would be playing with now had I just ordered when I saw it originally.

Oh well.

I tried to get it shipped direct to my new work address, but that involved texting my cell number to confirm... whoops

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
So, I called to try and get an early upgrade(my upgrade comes up in February), but the only thing the Verizon guy could do was put me on EDGE. Obviously I don't want to end up paying full retail cost of an expensive phone over two years, so is there any way to get the upgrade so I can use it on a Christmas present? Or do they not do that anymore?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

ManiacClown posted:

The only thing it looks like you can get is the Droid 4. It's coming up on two years old, and it uses an older style radio for 4G LTE that's a real battery hog. Also, It won't be the best performing phone out there, but I reckon since you're coming from an R2D2 it'll seem fine to you since it'll be faster.

I would really recommend picking up something like a Droid Razr MAXX HD used on eBay/Craigslist if you can convince yourself that you don't need the keyboard. It has good performance, and fantastic battery life. Also, the on-screen Android keyboard is probably 500 times better than the last time you probably tried using it, and the bigger screen on the Razr MAXX HD makes it a lot easier to use also.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Oh, I should also note that I live in South Dakota, so I don't even know how much 4G coverage we have here. I've been told it's in Sioux Falls but I don't know where else we've got it.

Edit: HOOOOLY poo poo. I just looked up the Razr Maxx HD on eBay and I can't afford nearly what that thing costs. I'm on a pretty tight budget to boot, but that phone's at least something to look for when tax money time rolls around.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 30, 2013

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

It's a pity Verizon decided to drag its feet on the Moto G until early next year. It sounds like it'd be a perfect stop-gap phone for people who need something dependable and not used to use in the interim.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

It sounded like the G was only going to be offered for prepaid service anyway.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

ManiacClown posted:

All right, to refine my statement: as little a piece of poo poo as possible.

I refer to my previous statement.

Either of the recent ones, the D4 or the Strat 2 and now both horribly outdated phones, and are 2 the most common phones we see in with issues with customers. Take my word for it, the annoyance you get getting used to touch screen typing will be far, far less than the frustrations you will have with any of the QWERTY phones.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I have a question - I've got an older non-smartphone that is on month-to-month and would like to get my first smartphone - the iPhone 5S.

How difficult is this to do? My understanding is that I can just come into a Verizon store, they can pull up my account, sell me a iPhone with it activated and working then and there, so within a half-hour I can exit the store with a working iPhone. I believe the up-front fees would be somewhere between $199+$35 and $299+$35 depending on the phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BriceFxP
May 16, 2013

Drunk as a Dog

Three-Phase posted:

I have a question - I've got an older non-smartphone that is on month-to-month and would like to get my first smartphone - the iPhone 5S.

How difficult is this to do? My understanding is that I can just come into a Verizon store, they can pull up my account, sell me a iPhone with it activated and working then and there, so within a half-hour I can exit the store with a working iPhone. I believe the up-front fees would be somewhere between $199+$35 and $299+$35 depending on the phone.

Correct, upgrading to a smartphone is no different than upgrading any other. Only thing you'll need for an iPhone is a iTunes account for the phone setup.

Once you go smartphone you'll never go back.

• Locked thread