Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How many browser tabs are your crazy people opening on your phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

I have to wonder the same thing since you could replace my browser with a tabless version and I probably wouldn't notice for months.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Tunga posted:

Currently, my Chrome on the Nexus 4 has 46 tabs. :v:

Granted, I never really close them and always have some kind of pack rat mentality about "I might need this later!"

It topped at 82 tabs a few days ago. The phone was totally cool with it all, apparently.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Have you people never heard of bookmarks?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Tunga posted:

Have you people never heard of bookmarks?

Tabbed browsing has obviated most of the need for bookmarking anymore.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I’m perfectly chill. Perfectly chill. The most innocuous comment set you off, not me. People are shockingly stupid, except for me. If that upsets you please shut the fuck up.
I usually have 10-20 Chrome tabs open on my S4, but that's just because there's no incentive to close them.

The Moto G looks great, but it doesn't qualify for the only decent cheap plan I know of (T-Mobile $30 100/Unl/Unl) unless it's sold through Walmart or T-Mobile. T-Mobile doesn't seem to offer anything by Motorola, and all of Walmart's Motorolas are obsolete, as in Gingerbread. As far as I can tell the other T-Mobile plans are mediocre at best, and AT&T has completely unreasonable pricing if one actually expects to use data. Is there another sanely-priced plan people expect to use the Moto G with, or is the phone just for those who feel like being abused by Straight Talk or another equally terrible MVNO?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well some of us are talking non-US. It's an awesome phone for Giffgaff or that 3 plan in the UK, for example.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Loucks posted:

I usually have 10-20 Chrome tabs open on my S4, but that's just because there's no incentive to close them.

The Moto G looks great, but it doesn't qualify for the only decent cheap plan I know of (T-Mobile $30 100/Unl/Unl) unless it's sold through Walmart or T-Mobile.

Any unlocked GSM phone or branded T-Mobile phone qualifies just fine on the $30 plan. Pop in the SIM and go. They don't care where you purchased the phone as long as the IMEI isn't blocked for some reason (theft, etc).

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I’m perfectly chill. Perfectly chill. The most innocuous comment set you off, not me. People are shockingly stupid, except for me. If that upsets you please shut the fuck up.

hotsauce posted:

Any unlocked GSM phone or branded T-Mobile phone qualifies just fine on the $30 plan. Pop in the SIM and go. They don't care where you purchased the phone as long as the IMEI isn't blocked for some reason (theft, etc).

Oh. The site claims a requirement that the handset be purchased from Walmart or T-Mobile to qualify for the plan, but if they don't bother to check then never mind.

I assume that this question is asked every two pages, but I didn't see it in the OP and skimming didn't turn it up. Thanks!

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

sleepwalkers posted:

Right, hence why it's been mentioned that the task switcher key has been the normal way to do it since 2011. And that Samsung is clinging to an outdated method.

Google drew a line in the sand in 4.4 and now force the software overflow to display on devices with a physical menu button (even the commit message pretty much implicitly addresses Samsung/LG): https://android.googlesource.com/platform/frameworks/base.git/+/ea04f3cfc6e245fb415fd352ed0048cd940a46fe%5E%21/#F0 so any devices in that format will now be stuck with a duplicate menu. Now it's a waiting game to see if that'll be enough to get them to bite for the next round of devices.

Hadlock posted:

Is there a way to side load the 4.3 SMS app and 4.x Google Talk app on to the Nexus 5 (or insert best Hangouts workaround here)

Not super interested in experiencing Hangouts teething issues with SMS. Other people don't believe you when you say "oh my phone lost your SMS". Because phones just don't do that (except the Nexus 5, apparently). Screw that.

Also insert obligatory anti-G+ rant here.

Hadlock posted:

I think the issue was Hangouts would assign your SMS to a duplicate contact. i.e. Google/Gmail contact Bob Smith and SMS contact Bob Smith were two separate entries in Hangouts despite being a single person in gmail contacts. But a different person, they were integrated. I have a lot of segregated contacts already and Hangouts would probably butcher my contacts list even further.

After that one bug with Facebook randomly deleting/merging/segregating Android contacts at random a few years ago I'm more than cautious these days about automated systems "intelligently" handling my communications...

The issues you're worrying about don't exist, seems you misread/misunderstood the feedback so wrote it off without using it. People's complaints with Hangouts stem from the fact that it has no intelligence features at all (neither iOS SMS-to-IM routing nor WebOS/Blackberry thread aggregation) meaning SMS and IM are effectively silo'd. It takes no risks/its basically just a minimum viable product they put out so they can gather usage data to shape future development/while they wait for the stars to align. Its usage model is pretty clear, any confusion is limited to the initial moments before the realization sets in that its feature set doesn't extend past the basics.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I had it until yesterday and all of a sudden it just dropped off. My awake bar had been solid for a few days and then out of nowhere it went back to normal, so I think it was something on Google's end. The strange thing is while it showed my phone was awake the whole time, it didn't seem to have an impact on battery life.

That's because some SOC architectures are able to go into deep sleep/power collapse even while an active wakelock is being held if the CPU is idle. The power draw difference between "deep sleep" and "wakelock deep sleep" is small enough that such devices essentially hold wakelocks for "free", its the causal chain of stuff which the wakelock indirectly enables which does the damage. The battery stats account for this by splitting off the 50% of the battery blame for all CPU use while the screen is off to the app holding the wakelock.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Vagrancy posted:

Google drew a line in the sand in 4.4 and now force the software overflow to display on devices with a physical menu button (even the commit message pretty much implicitly addresses Samsung/LG): https://android.googlesource.com/platform/frameworks/base.git/+/ea04f3cfc6e245fb415fd352ed0048cd940a46fe%5E%21/#F0 so any devices in that format will now be stuck with a duplicate menu. Now it's a waiting game to see if that'll be enough to get them to bite for the next round of devices.
I think it's pretty safe to say that Samsung et al will be ignoring this and putting the old code back in.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Rusty! posted:

I think it's pretty safe to say that Samsung et al will be ignoring this and putting the old code back in.

Yeah. Samsung will just dig TouchWiz's hooks deeper into the code to wedge that out.

They've staked their 'brand' on it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

AlexDeGruven posted:

Yeah. Samsung will just dig TouchWiz's hooks deeper into the code to wedge that out.

They've staked their 'brand' on it.
Their brand is a vestigial button?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I think its hilarious people complain about battery life and such but do ridiculous things like have over 3 tabs open on a browser on a cell phone in the year of our lord 2013.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Haven't upgraded phones since my iPhone 4 but thinking about getting a Moto X, what's the toughest case available for daily pavement whoopsies? Still Otterbox?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Elotana posted:

Haven't upgraded phones since my iPhone 4 but thinking about getting a Moto X, what's the toughest case available for daily pavement whoopsies? Still Otterbox?

Otterbox is pretty much murderproof, but I survived pretty well on my last phone with a simple TPU case. Actually I'm only using one of these bumper cases on my Moto X, but I've only had it for 3 days. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hybrid-Bumper-Case-for-Motorola-Moto-X-/321210556637?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Cases&var=&hash=item4ac9a420dd

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Elotana posted:

Daily? If you have some kind of medical condition that causes you to drop expensive electronics regularly you might consider a cheap case and a cord that attaches to your belt loop.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Their brand is a vestigial button?

Take a look at every TW-laden Samsung since the S2 and tell me it's not.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

AlexDeGruven posted:

Take a look at every TW-laden Samsung since the S2 and tell me it's not.

So the home button?

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
TouchWiz still sounds like something you get thrown in jail for while still wearing your clown makeup.

Realtalk: My dad has no hands or feet due to medical mishap. He loving LOVES talking to people on the phone - I'm considering getting him a Moto X and Jawbone Icon HD for xmas. Good idea?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Loucks posted:

Oh. The site claims a requirement that the handset be purchased from Walmart or T-Mobile to qualify for the plan, but if they don't bother to check then never mind.

I assume that this question is asked every two pages, but I didn't see it in the OP and skimming didn't turn it up. Thanks!

You misread it. Try reading it again.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Vagrancy posted:

The code and the commit are hilarious. Anyone who has coded and is reading this thread should click that link. I wonder if this means the Google Experience S4 will have double menus when it gets to 4.4.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

bull3964 posted:

The 6 months All Access still seems to be active.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/device/smartphone/droid-maxx?selectedContractTerm=2

I got the 50gb free Google drive as well.

I just had to sign in with the Play Music app when I got the phone and the 6 months free was activated.

I just tried to sign up and it only offered me 30 days.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Exit Strategy posted:

TouchWiz still sounds like something you get thrown in jail for while still wearing your clown makeup.

Realtalk: My dad has no hands or feet due to medical mishap. He loving LOVES talking to people on the phone - I'm considering getting him a Moto X and Jawbone Icon HD for xmas. Good idea?

Doesn't sound like a bad idea. I assume you're thinking Moto X for the touchless voice controls and I've heard generally favorable reviews for both the feature and the phone in general, so he'd at least be able to place phone calls with ease.

lags
Jan 3, 2004

I wish there were a hard button on the front of my phone that I could mash that would wake my display instead of having to claw my device when it's sitting on my desk to find the power button. I like the clean front - but that's something I do miss. I wish the power button were not opposite the volume buttons. (Nexus 5)

Loucks
May 21, 2007

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="422439812"]
You misread it. Try reading it again.

Goddamnit. Mea culpa.

Guess I'd better get some sleep before the rest of my brain disintegrates.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Stick100 posted:

The code and the commit are hilarious. Anyone who has coded and is reading this thread should click that link. I wonder if this means the Google Experience S4 will have double menus when it gets to 4.4.

That is pretty great.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

kensei posted:

I just tried to sign up and it only offered me 30 days.

That's google then and not the deal through Verizon.

Try clearing data for Play Music as well as uninstalling play store updates and then relaunch it. As soon as you sign into your account, you should be prompted for the deal.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

lags posted:

I wish there were a hard button on the front of my phone that I could mash that would wake my display instead of having to claw my device when it's sitting on my desk to find the power button. I like the clean front - but that's something I do miss. I wish the power button were not opposite the volume buttons. (Nexus 5)

Personally, I find the side button way easier. Now I just have to rest my hand on my phone, and my ring or middle finger naturally settles on the power button for easy tapping. I always found the front button really inconvenient, because when in the course of non-button related events do I ever find my hand in that position? even when holding my phone instead of turning it on on my desk, it was awkward for my thumb. Every time I have to use my friend's S4, it is noticeable how much time is spent correctly pushing that dumb button. Touch/voice activated wake would be nice to have as an option, but I can live without front button.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

lags posted:

Sounds like you want a Moto X :smuggo:.

Seriously though, I love the fact that I usually only use the power button now to sleep the phone, never to wake it. If I get a notification while it's sitting on my desk, it's just a screen touch away from seeing what it is.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

bull3964 posted:

Sounds like you want a Moto X :smuggo:.

Seriously though, I love the fact that I usually only use the power button now to sleep the phone, never to wake it. If I get a notification while it's sitting on my desk, it's just a screen touch away from seeing what it is.

Not to mention you can usually just 'rock' the X and it'll wake up even if no notifications exist.

Just recorded with my n7 to show how it looks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APd3TMQWxIw

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
$150 dollar discount on any off contract Moto X this Monday.

https://plus.google.com/+Motorola/posts/7pBuo1GaxKu

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Goddamn I can't believe I'm contemplating getting a Moto X to supplement my Droid MAXX just because I like the customization.

Edit: I'm not going to because it would be silly. But man would I be jumping on this if I had unlimited data from Verizon and a older phone.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 27, 2013

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Son of a bitch I just got one literally 5 days ago.

I'm still within the return period. Will they do anything for me?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I'd do this if it was bamboo.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

AlexDeGruven posted:

Tabbed browsing has obviated most of the need for bookmarking anymore.

Agreed

Vagrancy posted:

The issues you're worrying about don't exist, seems you misread/misunderstood the feedback so wrote it off without using it....its basically just a minimum viable product they put out so they can gather usage data to shape future development/while they wait for the stars to align.

I'm happy using the old SMS app until Google gets their poo poo together with hangouts, I'm happy to use beta software on my PC, but my primary communications device needs to work 100%. If contact integration isn't working 100%, who knows what other goofy bugs are in there; have no qualms about waiting this out until Hangouts is out of the "public beta" phase.

Probably if I didn't have to use my phone to make business calls I wouldn't care

However if they manage to screw up Google Voice whenever they integrate that with Hangouts, I am probably going to have to invest in a land line... The fact that GV and Hangouts are still seperate products tells me that the GV team didn't trust the Hangouts appdev team far enough to throw them and decided that not pissing off their customers who require telephone-level QoS was more important than integrating with a poo poo product.

/'spergin

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Hadlock posted:

The fact that GV and Hangouts are still seperate products tells me that the GV team didn't trust the Hangouts appdev team far enough to throw them and decided that not pissing off their customers who require telephone-level QoS was more important than integrating with a poo poo product.

Yeah, the GV team is obviously quite concerned with a quality product.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The most likely reason GV is not in hangouts yet is because google is adding things one at a time.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

The most likely reason GV is not in hangouts yet is because google is ruining things one at a time.
It's going to be great when Google Voice is integrated and nothing works at all. Then Google will turn off whatever allows my Obi100 to continue functioning, rendering me completely incapable of communication beyond terrible forum posts. My friends will probably be happy, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's going to be great when Google Voice is integrated and nothing works at all. Then Google will turn off whatever allows my Obi100 to continue functioning, rendering me completely incapable of communication beyond terrible forum posts. My friends will probably be happy, though.
With any luck you will get Google Fiber to your area and then they will break that, too, so we don't have to read your posts!

• Locked thread