Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

How do you backstab in Baldur's Gate? I tried the obvious thing of hiding in shadows, but as soon as you select an enemy to attack, the character leaves the shadows.

Also, are there any plans for Icewind Dale Enhanced Editions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Orgophlax posted:

How do you backstab in Baldur's Gate? I tried the obvious thing of hiding in shadows, but as soon as you select an enemy to attack, the character leaves the shadows.
You need to walk up right behind an enemy's back, then attack. Enemies without a back, such as oozes, cannot be backstabbed.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Factor_VIII posted:

You need to walk up right behind an enemy's back, then attack. Enemies without a back, such as oozes, cannot be backstabbed.
So you just have to physically position your thief behind the enemy during a fight? Or do you mean sneak up behind them while hidden in shadows?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Orgophlax posted:

So you just have to physically position your thief behind the enemy during a fight? Or do you mean sneak up behind them while hidden in shadows?

Successfully hide in shadows (or be invis from some spell effect), move right behind an enemy BEFORE telling the character to attack the enemy, then select to attack the enemy.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
The "leaving shadows" message is fine if you are planning on backstabbing. There is a fade time after you decide to attack (or if you otherwise fail to remain hidden) during which you are still invisible. If you are right behind a dude just before attacking, you should have enough time to get 2 tries at hitting him before fade time runs out and you are fully visible.

Also, once you are successfully hidden, you will remain so regardless of how "sneaky" you are. You can be off to the side skulking around some shadows, hide, then literally run circles around people in broad daylight. Every few seconds you will automatically roll to try to remain hidden. As long as you pass that, you're fine.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

MrTheDevious posted:

The only attack they got off was a disintegrate on Jahira and I just kept going since she was being a bitch anyway. So much sick loot :dance: Is there eventually a point where you can't cheese even really hard encounters just by laying down a ton of disables then spamming cloudkills and fireballs?
A few, but later on you get to cheese encounters by casting Time Stop->Alacrity->All your Dragon's Breaths, Horrid Wiltings, Fireballs and Skull Traps at once, then waiting for Time Stop to run out and them all to trigger on top of each other.

edit: from memory you need a certain set of caster robes to make this work but it's hilariously good if you have them.

edit2: drat this thread is making me want to replay Planescape. That game was so amazing. If there's a widescreen/hi-res patch then I'm sold.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

OK, thanks for all that. One other question: Is there another mage to pick up at some point? I want a mage in my party, and as much as I like Xzar, his buddy is useless to me. But I can't get rid of him without losing Xzar as well.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Zephro posted:

If there's a widescreen/hi-res patch then I'm sold.

There is, including a big font mod.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I was attacking the guys that wanted to set viconia on fire in government district. They are just normal humans.

gdsfjkl
Feb 28, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

Hey is shadowdancer backstab broken? With a 3x backstab modifier I was getting backstabs for 8, 11, 11 damage etc.. When my normal damage is listed at 7-11 damage. It said backstab for triple damage in the combat log but was still only doing 11 damage.
Strength bonus isn't multiplied when you backstab, only weapon damage and other bonuses (proficiency, assassin's +1 damage)

Factor_VIII posted:

Actually oozes can be backstabbed :v:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Orgophlax posted:

OK, thanks for all that. One other question: Is there another mage to pick up at some point? I want a mage in my party, and as much as I like Xzar, his buddy is useless to me. But I can't get rid of him without losing Xzar as well.

Have you tried killing him and then removing him? For some reason, companions don't seem to mind accidents as much.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

There is, including a big font mod.
Awesome. Now to dig out my CDs.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I've got CHARNAME as F/M, Jaheira, Minsc and Yoshimo (eventually will be swapped to Imoen)

Which two characters would be good for party interactions? Will there be a meltdown if i pick up both Hexxat and Rasaad? :v:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Does Shadowkeeper still screw up ThAC0 and such when changing a character's class? I tweaked Khalid to F/M for some dumb reason, and uninstalling that component doesn't revert him back even if I load a save before meeting him.
Afaik, yes. I'm using EEKeeper for the enhanced edition but this process should be similar to the vanilla process. Set the characters base thac0 back to 20, base AC back to 10 (I think this only changes for monks anyway), number of attacks back to 1, and remove all proficiency points and thief abilities if applicable. Then set their base hp to the level 1 base hp of whatever class you are setting (so for fighter, that'd be somewhere within a 1d10). Leave their experience total alone, and set the class you want, and then set the level to 0. Save the game and now load it up in game.

You should now just level up the character normal and everything should be pretty much correct. Saves are pulled from a table so that should allocate correctly. I think spells will also take care of themselves but if not, just do the same as above and manually remove all their spells/abilities.

vvv err yeah, sorry, fixed.

[e]Also you will have to add the default proficiency points back in, the ones you get when you select the class. It's a lot of work I guess.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 27, 2013

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Rascyc posted:

base AC back to 20

Don't you mean 10?

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Just purchased the enhanced editions since I had some extra money to burn. Do these automatically update if a patch is released or would I have to pay attention and update manually?

Action Jackson! posted:

If you run the launcher instead of directly starting the game it will check to see if you have the latest patch.

Good to know, thanks!

Jive One fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 27, 2013

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

Jive One posted:

Just purchased the enhanced editions since I had some extra money to burn. Do these automatically update if a patch is released or would I have to pay attention and update manually?

If you run the launcher instead of directly starting the game it will check to see if you have the latest patch.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

uwu culture posted:

Strength bonus isn't multiplied when you backstab, only weapon damage and other bonuses (proficiency, assassin's +1 damage)

I would think that a longsword +1 would do more than 11 damage on triple damage multiplier? Otherwise what would be the point when that is the same same as normal damage.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rascyc posted:

Afaik, yes.

Thanks for the answer - I'll restart my game now that the component is uninstalled, and see about fixing it if it doesn't work for some reason.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

uwu culture posted:

Really? I could swear I tried to do so in BG1EE but failed to get it to work. Maybe I wasn't stabbing their "backs".

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

I would think that a longsword +1 would do more than 11 damage on triple damage multiplier? Otherwise what would be the point when that is the same same as normal damage.

You got a lovely damage roll (either a 1 or a 2) to begin with. Longsword +1 will do 1d8+1 base, so the minimum Backstab x3 non-crit is 6 (before strength and other additions) and the maximum is 27.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Scent of Worf posted:

My main guy is a half-orc (I think) Barbarian who is dual wielding axes, I have Minsc, of course, with a two handed sword, Yoshimo with a bow and some fire arrows, the girl mage from that awesome circus quest and a dark elf cleric I helped back in the city. Oh and also a druid elf woman.

The circus mage has slow but I am not sure if it is level 3.. would it still work?

If you're still stuck with the fight, here are some more tips:

- Use Yoshimo to lay down some traps before the fight, then draw the enemy to the room before.
- If Jaheira (the druid) has level 5 spells, have her cast Iron Skins and equip her with the best armor and shield you have. Have her atract the enemies to the traps, and when you fight, she should be tanking the enemy.
- If she isn't, have your clerics memorize 5x Animate Dead and use the skeletons to try and tank the trolls. Animate Dead is a 3rd level Cleric spell, so you want to use Viconia's (the dark elf) slots for those and have Aerie (the girl from the circus) memorize Holy Smite instead. Holy Smite is an AoE nuke that only hits evil creatures (so it's mostly party friendly) and has a chance to blind the opponents.
- Use your Barbarian rage in this fight.
- If either of your clerics has 5th level spells, use those slots for Flame Strike.

So, summon skeletons, lay down traps, prebuff and use a tank to engage the enemy and draw them to the traps. Have your other melee fighters stand back a little until you're sure the trolls are attacking either Jaheira or the skeletons, then attack with them as well. Focus fire TorGal. Have Aerie try to slow the trolls, Viconia uses flame strikes (or sling if no casts) and Nalia casts whatever damage spells she has. After you're out of slows/succeed in slowing TorGal, have Aerie switch to casting Holy Smite (and whatever damage spells she has as a mage if she runs dry). Use Yoshimo's fire arrows to finish downed trolls.

The door to TorGal's room makes a good bottleneck where you can lead the enemy and take them 1-by-1, but your party is so melee heavy that it's not ideal in this situation.

verybad fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 27, 2013

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Zephro posted:

A few, but later on you get to cheese encounters by casting Time Stop->Alacrity->All your Dragon's Breaths, Horrid Wiltings, Fireballs and Skull Traps at once, then waiting for Time Stop to run out and them all to trigger on top of each other.

edit: from memory you need a certain set of caster robes to make this work but it's hilariously good if you have them.

This sounds even more awesome than the way I'm killing everything now :allears: I think I might've just broken the game though. Accidentally drank 2 Master Thievery pots and noticed they stacked, so I bought every potion I could find, chugged them all, then cleared out every single item that wasn't nailed down. Gonna have more money than God himself once I fence it all.

Regarding TorGal fight, how'd you manage the Umber Hulks before him? TorGal fight wasn't poo poo compared to those awful Hulks for me :( TorGal you can just open the door, throw in a bunch of webs/entangles, drop a cloudkill, then run in with Keldorn (Free Action) and bait them into the hell pile, run Keldorn back out, then spam fireballs and lightning into the hellpile until it's all dead. So far I've only found one fight where this didn't work immediately, but tossing a couple of Keldorn's dispels and a breach fixed that issue too.

Druid elf woman and circus girl have entangle/webs but I'm not sure if you have cloudkill/fireballs with them yet. My PC's a mage and I had Edwin at that point

vvv What's an ironman? No reloading?

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 27, 2013

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
I'm curious, would people be interested in another Ironman thread? It's been a while since the last one (or I've just missed any thread that has popped up since like the one in 2011). Would there be some interest in getting another one going? I really enjoyed reading it last time even if I didn't end up participating and would like to see folks do it again.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

MrTheDevious posted:

This sounds even more awesome than the way I'm killing everything now :allears: I think I might've just broken the game though. Accidentally drank 2 Master Thievery pots and noticed they stacked, so I bought every potion I could find, chugged them all, then cleared out every single item that wasn't nailed down. Gonna have more money than God himself once I fence it all.

Regarding TorGal fight, how'd you manage the Umber Hulks before him? TorGal fight wasn't poo poo compared to those awful Hulks for me :( TorGal you can just open the door, throw in a bunch of webs/entangles, drop a cloudkill, then run in with Keldorn (Free Action) and bait them into the hell pile, run Keldorn back out, then spam fireballs and lightning into the hellpile until it's all dead. So far I've only found one fight where this didn't work immediately, but tossing a couple of Keldorn's dispels and a breach fixed that issue too.

Druid elf woman and circus girl have entangle/webs but I'm not sure if you have cloudkill/fireballs with them yet. My PC's a mage and I had Edwin at that point

You can skip the umber hulk fight by using the dog stew the servant tells you about. That being said, you can draw the umber hulks one at a time if you're careful about how you enter the room. Just get someone with a bow to slowly peak around the corners and shoot at them and you'll generally draw them back one at a time.

Edit: vvvvv I was not actually aware they were less than 6 HD. Welp. :v:

Lilli fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 27, 2013

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Failing that, use the one charge on the wand of cloudkill from Chateau Irenicus to kill them all in one fell swoop.

gdsfjkl
Feb 28, 2011

John McCain posted:

You got a lovely damage roll (either a 1 or a 2) to begin with. Longsword +1 will do 1d8+1 base, so the minimum Backstab x3 non-crit is 6 (before strength and other additions) and the maximum is 27.
Yeah, this. I assume the backstabbing character has 18 strength, so a roll of 1 gives (1+1)*3+2 = 8 damage, while a roll of 2 gives (2+1)*3+2 = 11 damage. Try again!

edit: If you want to avoid crappy backstab rolls, a dual-classed Kensai/Thief can use Kai and still have time to try to backstab before stealth breaks. I think the Kensai damage bonus also gets multiplied by the backstab, and I'm certain the grandmastery proficiency bonus does.

gdsfjkl fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 27, 2013

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
It's everything but the strength bonus that gets multiplied.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Davoren posted:

Failing that, use the one charge on the wand of cloudkill from Chateau Irenicus to kill them all in one fell swoop.

I never did figure out how to make that drat wand key turn into actual wands, but just regular casting cloudkill is how I did finally beat the assholes. Just took about 8 tries because one kept running through the door before I could get the cloudkill down because I hadn't yet realized Keldorn had perma free action :downs:

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Protip: Bring Viconia with you when you do Rasaads quest. Near-lethal levels of snark.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

MrTheDevious posted:

I never did figure out how to make that drat wand key turn into actual wands

In the hallway of undetectable traps where you see an invading thief trigger a trap and die with a duergar calling him an idiot, double click on the pillars that line the wall to turn your keys into wands and disable the traps.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Lilli posted:

I'm curious, would people be interested in another Ironman thread? It's been a while since the last one (or I've just missed any thread that has popped up since like the one in 2011). Would there be some interest in getting another one going? I really enjoyed reading it last time even if I didn't end up participating and would like to see folks do it again.

It might be fun, I have serious trouble actually finishing up my playthroughs. Ironman playthrough with some communal support might be just the thing.

MrTheDevious posted:

vvv What's an ironman? No reloading?

Yes.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Illegal Username posted:

Protip: Bring Viconia with you when you do Rasaads quest. Near-lethal levels of snark.

Can't say he doesn't deserve it.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Can't say he doesn't deserve it.
There's some charm to his Worst Undercover Investigator in Faerun thing.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Lilli posted:

That could be fun. I'm used to playing with SCS installed, so dropping down to an unmodded enhanced edition should be doable.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I've been considering adding an "Ironman Tactics" section to my ongoing LP, but given my terrible update schedule any ironman thread would probably peter out long before I got to the really hard stuff.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
I like the Ironman idea. I'd be down for doing one, would make a nice challenge.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

An Ironman thread sounds fun. I'm feeling the itch to reinstall, so it'll be fun getting my arse handed to me by SCS in a game I haven't played all the way through in a few years!

Planning a small team "Bhaalspawn" run (with a Yoshimo cameo) which I've run through along time ago without it being Ironman. Fully expecting to die to Tarnesh or something equally humiliating.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

I remember my first Ironman attempt. I made a mage and he got one-shotted by a crit from one of the two assassins in Candlekeep. In my best Ironman game, I finished all the main game but the final battle, then went to do ToSC. On the werewolf island I wasn't paying attention and forgot that the sirine queen summons more sirens. They managed to charm about half the party, which got me killed. One moment of inattention can have pretty unpleasant consequences.

Illegal Username posted:

There's some charm to his Worst Undercover Investigator in Faerun thing.
At least he did manage to convince his own side that he was a traitor, even if he did fail to convince the group he was trying to infiltrate. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

My most successful Ironman run to date took an Archer all the way to Yaga-Shura's lair in ToB before biting it. Having a PC that avoids the frontline is pretty handy.