Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

whatever7 posted:

The fake prism serve no purpose. It's like the fake air in take on the Mini Cooper S. Camera with a "forehead" like that its a hell lot harder to get out of a jacket pocket.

Fake prism housing serves as a place for better, bigger EVF. It serves a "purpose". Someone is angry their "Like-Ah" wont look much like a Leica anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

SMH if you don't think olympus/fuji is stuffing that "wasted space" full of electronics and poo poo anyways.

Or that you're going to fit your giant rear end camera with it's giant rear end lens into a pocket whether or not it has a prism hump. Buy a loving s100.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I suggested a while ago they should do a SLR styled version and call it the Fuji X-Sport 1. The sport moniker is still a bit optimistic but the hybrid autofocus on the X-E2 shows they are at least making progress in the right direction. With the X-Pro2 (and with this rumoured camera) they really ought to be targeting the photojournalist sector. Which means passing the war-zone test; a tank that can be relied on to keep on performing. Serious weather sealing is a step in that direction.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

We'll see how it compares to the X-Pro 2, my biggest concern is that it will result in the X-Pro line never getting weather sealing. That is a critical issue for me personally, and I will with no questions end up switching to whatever one has weather sealing. I just hope it's both, because I love the X-Pro, and don't want anything bigger if I can avoid it.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fart Car '97 posted:

We'll see how it compares to the X-Pro 2, my biggest concern is that it will result in the X-Pro line never getting weather sealing. That is a critical issue for me personally, and I will with no questions end up switching to whatever one has weather sealing. I just hope it's both, because I love the X-Pro, and don't want anything bigger if I can avoid it.

This is the 2nd time I hear the "in between" body rumor slot between the XE2 and XPro1 without the OVF. I can't figure out why would Fuji give up such a distinct and popular feature. The OVF can't be that expensive to produce.

Last weather proof thing I got was a Sony Xperia Z. I think its an useless feature to me.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

whatever7 posted:

This is the 2nd time I hear the "in between" body rumor slot between the XE2 and XPro1 without the OVF. I can't figure out why would Fuji give up such a distinct and popular feature. The OVF can't be that expensive to produce.

Last weather proof thing I got was a Sony Xperia Z. I think its an useless feature to me.

Have you ever produced an OVF before?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

whatever7 posted:

IDK if you have ever used an X100/X100s/Xpro1 but its not as simple as slapping an OVF in there. Its a pretty costly feature. Its apparent cost is the difference between the Xpro and the XE line-up. ITs useable with any lens but cumbersome to use outside of Fuji X prime glass. Using the OVF sucks with zooms and prime tele-lenses. They also want to keep costs down and attract secondary body purchases from current users and attract new users who want something they can take out in a fine mist. I dont worry too much about weather and my camera gear because gear insurance. Im not everyone and everyone is certainly not me.

Having an in-between target price is nice. Can market the Xpro to leica enthusiasts going for body design with a great sensor, the XE-x lineup is nice for everyone who doesnt need/want an OVF but likes the RF body, and the Fuji XST(or whatever) for those who need a weather sealed body.

People who dont need weather sealed bodies are people who stay in their grandmas basement shooting catte pics.

Musket fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 26, 2013

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
Speaking of Leica enthusiasts without Leica money, who's buying an A7 or A7r?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr. Despair posted:

Have you ever produced an OVF before?

How hard can it be. Just reuse the one on X10. ;)

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Musket posted:

People who dont need weather sealed bodies are people who stay in their grandmas basement shooting catte pics.

Sure I've love to have it, but my X-E1 has seen a bunch of tornadoes. If I don't need weathersealing, that's a pretty good argument for most other people not needing it.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

whatever7 posted:

How hard can it be. Just reuse the one on X10. ;)

Ugh.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

thetzar posted:

My A7 should be here Monday.

Speaking of which, Kai at DigitalRev compares the two, pretty seriously. Then he does some epic trolling at the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUJc83wV6iA

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

thetzar posted:

:toot:

prolly Jan / Feb tho. I have an expensive-rear end bill coming to repair a Zeiss lens that was botched.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I tried an A7 today, the shutter release button is in such an awkward position for my taste. I hope they come out with a nex7 style body.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

teraflame posted:

I tried an A7 today, the shutter release button is in such an awkward position for my taste. I hope they come out with a nex7 style body.

They both have an aggressive shutter sound. Like Sony put a beefier shutter than was necessary. The M240 has a nice shutter sound to it - just a "snick". The M9 would probably hold best shutter sound title if it weren't for the recock noise.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Helicity posted:

Sure I've love to have it, but my X-E1 has seen a bunch of tornadoes. If I don't need weathersealing, that's a pretty good argument for most other people not needing it.

Mine hasnt seen that extreme of weather, but it doesnt stay in a dust proof clean room like some un-named wannabe scientist pentax lover.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
When the Nikon digital FM2 rumor came out, I was very excited. But I thought the actual product Df was a pretty awful design. It's way too thick and heavy, with way too many dials. The design language also borrows too much from the AF-D era instead of the AIS era.

I hope Fuji won't half-rear end this new body design like Nikon did.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I think Nikon's problem is they have too many people and departments with inputs on camera design. Fujifilm seems to be driven by engineers who also love photography. I don't think they will create a monstrosity with 20+ buttons, switches and dials while somehow claiming it to be "pure photography."

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

thetzar posted:

I am, once I sit down and figure out which one I want! I also need to apply for an American Airlines credit card so I can snag an extra 30k miles and cancel it a few months later :getin:

Since I'm stuck at work with 0 actual work today (kids taking exams), might as well type out my thought process:

A7: cheaper, better AF, kit lens option (I'm not super stoked about it, but otherwise my widest lens would be 50mm, and I don't want to buy any wider primes right now).
A7r: more expensive, better IQ, AF not as good. Kinda the option for more manual focusing, although it's not as if my OG NEX-3 is even that terrible at AF.

I've got some rangefinder glass I'd use on whichever body I got: a Canon 50mm f/1.2 (not the sharpest lens on the block, but decent) and a Russian 85mm f/2 for portraits. I've also got a Sony 35 1.8 OSS, which would be shooting in crop mode as a poor man's Zeiss 55 1.8 (which I'm actually kind of interested in, despite the availability of cheap, fast 50mms via adapter).

But the thing is, I'm actually not actually a prime guy. I'm perfectly happy to throw a fast 50mm equivalent on whatever body and take it out drinking with me (I reckon my OG NEX-3 and 35 1.8 would remain in service for this, probably take a while before I was comfortable risking a pricey new body against drunk Rhombus), but when I'm walking around doing travel-type stuff, I really want the flexibility of a zoom/not to gently caress around with changing lenses. I did a lot of searching and there really aren't any constant f/2.8, compact manual-focus zooms I could adapt. Not really interested in adapting an AF lens through an adapter; the bulk of something like my 24-70L would be ridiculous on a mirrorless camera.

I have a feeling I'm gonna get the A7 + kit zoom, and sell the latter once the 24-70 comes out. Of course this is all academic at this point, as I've probably waited so long that I'll be pretty far behind in the preorder queue.

Comedy option of A7r and using the original NEX 18-55 OSS kit lens in crop mode until the 24-70 comes out. Actually...

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Out of the two I would probably choose the A7. In theory PDAF will benefit you in manual focus too - it should improve the accuracy of the focus peaking.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

thetzar posted:

I have zero interest in A7R, was going to pick up an A7 until I heard that shutter sound in person, which sounds like someone loving clapping their hands every time you hit the shutter button compared to Fuji cams.

So I went with the XE1 + 35mm combo instead. I will wait and see what sony does with the A7 in a year when they release a updated version and hopefully a couple more lenses. I can't justify spending $800 on a 35mm f2.8 when the same money gets me the Fuji 23mm f1.4.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

thetzar posted:

Maybe when they have more than 3 lenses.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

Maybe when they have more than 3 lenses.

28/35/50 or death.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

krooj posted:

28/35/50 or death.

The more I shoot, the more I realize the importance of a 'portrait length' lens. If I could only have one lens, it would be a 50; but if I could only have two, it would probably be a 28 and an 85 or 100. Of course, every FE lens now costing a brazillion dollars cools me on the system, period.

It's a sad thing that digital sensors, even with microlenses, can't handle light hitting them from an oblique angle as well as film can. It means that even if you have a tiny full-frame body like Sony has made, the lenses have to be huge and fairly telenormal (as Sony-Zeisses are). I keep hearing that the organic sensors that will be hitting in about two years will radically change this -- and I wonder if that's why a lot of the big boys are holding off on releasing full-frame mirrorless systems.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

krooj posted:

28/35/50 or death.
Yeah buddy you can pry my 85 from my cold dead hands.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
35/50/85

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pompous Rhombus posted:

A7: cheaper, better AF, kit lens option (I'm not super stoked about it, but otherwise my widest lens would be 50mm, and I don't want to buy any wider primes right now).
A7r: more expensive, better IQ, AF not as good. Kinda the option for more manual focusing, although it's not as if my OG NEX-3 is even that terrible at AF.

I don't know how reliable this is, but the people at DPreview mentioned that they actually had trouble getting in-focus images with the A7 and the kit lens, while the A7r was good. It sounds like there may be some issue specifically with that lens but it might be worth getting some more impressions on the AF before giving the A7 points for it.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

quote:

29 EV on organic sensors

poo poo like that makes me want to start saving now and not spend any money on these inferior 15 EV sensors.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

15/50/90. yall got it wrong.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
75mm + on a rangefinder. a.k.a.: test your eyesight.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
20/35/85
50mm is overrated.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Are the samyang/bower/rokinon fisheye lenses the same (apart from the name tag)?

All else being equal I'd get whichever is cheapest but if there are subtle differences I'd like to know.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

spankmeister posted:

Are the samyang/bower/rokinon fisheye lenses the same (apart from the name tag)?

All else being equal I'd get whichever is cheapest but if there are subtle differences I'd like to know.

Yes, they are.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

powderific posted:

I don't know how reliable this is, but the people at DPreview mentioned that they actually had trouble getting in-focus images with the A7 and the kit lens, while the A7r was good. It sounds like there may be some issue specifically with that lens but it might be worth getting some more impressions on the AF before giving the A7 points for it.

They are the only ones to mention this problem so far so maybe it was just their copy or something.
The A7 is apparently better at low light/high ISO than the A7r as well.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

whatever7 posted:

50mm is overrated.

And here I used to think you were cool :colbert:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

RustedChrome posted:

They are the only ones to mention this problem so far so maybe it was just their copy or something.
The A7 is apparently better at low light/high ISO than the A7r as well.

Actually just got to try an A7 in the store this afternoon (popped in to make some prints, surprised to see one out, my local Kitamura Camera is pretty small). I really liked it, shutter noise isn't as bad as internet hyperbole makes it out to be, etc. I'd throw down for one right now if it weren't for Sony's lovely region-locking (Japanese only menus, no way to change it, so resale value will be poo poo once I leave), it's actually a bit cheaper than the US one to boot.

Gonna apply for an American Airlines CC (so I can charge it to that and reap the 30,000 bonus miles, then cancel that sucker) and hopefully still be able to snag a US model and get someone going home for Christmas to be my camera mule (don't wanna pay duty). I thought about digitalrev but lol at those prices.

edit: brought my SEL3518 in, focus was hella zippy. I'm smitten.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Nov 28, 2013

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Helicity posted:

Yes, they are.

Sweet, thanks.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Actually just got to try an A7 in the store this afternoon (popped in to make some prints, surprised to see one out, my local Kitamura Camera is pretty small). I really liked it, shutter noise isn't as bad as internet hyperbole makes it out to be, etc. I'd throw down for one right now if it weren't for Sony's lovely region-locking (Japanese only menus, no way to change it, so resale value will be poo poo once I leave), it's actually a bit cheaper than the US one to boot.

The A7 is still ok, it's the A7R that sounds like a woodchopper chopping twice.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

alkanphel posted:

The A7 is still ok, it's the A7R that sounds like a woodchopper chopping twice.

Why wouldn't they have the same shutter component?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

whatever7 posted:

Why wouldn't they have the same shutter component?

Apparently the A7r doesn't have the electric front shutter, for whatever dumb reason. This makes the normal shutter have to fire twice, and might even cause the titular ominous shutter shock at slower shutter speeds. If you already have a NEX, I'd assume it sounds just like when you turn the front shutter off on those, it's a very loud and noticable double click, and it sounds completely terrible at anything over 1/30.