Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

TopherCStone posted:

I wouldn't say they usually have a longer scale. Most are 34", but it's far more common to find a longer scale on a 5 than it is on a 4. Realistically, getting a heavier B-string will make more of a difference than simply adding an inch to the scale length (based on playing an extended scale bass with standard gauge strings and playing a 34" with Circle K's).

It is a whole lot of extra neck to get around and unless you know that you really want to be playing a 5 string in the future I see no need to have to put up with more expensive strings. What kind of music do you like to play? If, say, you want to play Beatles songs your needs will be different than if you want to play modern gospel or doom metal.

I like the Acoustic B30 (though it was the B20 when I bought mine) http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/acoustic-b30-30w-bass-combo-amp
Good price, big speaker, good tone controls, and it'll be more than capable of rattling your windows if you crank it up. I don't think I've played a better bass practice amp.

I play a bunch of random junk on guitar, but lets say rock and folk or something more than metal or prog. One of my guitars has a wide neck that I like a bit better than a standard neck so the width may not bother me. I'll obviously go and play and see.

I was looking at the B15 since I'd only ever play with a 4 watt guitar amp - good to get a bit of confirmation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

ashgromnies posted:

So I want something with the flexibility of being able to play MIDI bass patches or regular bass sounds; mix them together, etc.

I saw the Industrial Radio MIDI Bass and it looks really cool: http://www.industrialradio.com.au/ but it's expensive as hell($4000 for the 4-string model)

I did some Googling and found this Bass to MIDI converter box: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sonuus-B2M-Universal-Bass-to-MIDI-Converter-105797088-i1521569.gc

Anyone use anything like that ever before? How reliable are they, and what would the benefits of going for something like the Industrial Radio MIDI Bass be versus just using a P-bass and that converter?

The Industrial Radio bass should have no latency, that is delay between sounding the string and the trigger of a MIDI note. By splitting the frets into 4 sections, fretting a note closes a circuit telling the on board processor what note to play. Then the piezo element in the bridge will determine the intensity of the note. Therefore, the transmission of the MIDI note should be near simultaneous with the regular bass signal. Peavey actually tried making basses like this before with the same technology. But they made the mistake of putting this expensive feature on cheap, import basses. Also I don't think you will be able to do string bends with this system, but I'm not sure.

The Sonus box will take your 1/4" signal, attempt to do quick pitch matching of your signal, then transmit the MIDI note. The pitch matching creates latency and you may have delayed MIDI signals. I have not used one of these boxes and I'm hesitant to even try, especially live. The low frequency nature of bass makes pitch matching take even longer (low frequency means longer periods to determine the frequency). At least bass is monophonic so you may be able to use it.

I always wanted a bass that could do MIDI easily, but I don't think we're there yet for live use. That said, I think there are plenty of pedals out there that can close to synth-like sounds (perhaps a Pitchfactor pedal with a solid envelope filter).

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

havelock posted:

I play a bunch of random junk on guitar, but lets say rock and folk or something more than metal or prog. One of my guitars has a wide neck that I like a bit better than a standard neck so the width may not bother me. I'll obviously go and play and see.

I was looking at the B15 since I'd only ever play with a 4 watt guitar amp - good to get a bit of confirmation.

They're a fair bit wider, bass necks are already pretty big and you're adding another third or so with the extra string gap and the fat string. Definitely best to at least try one out.

Once I was trying out fivers and I picked up a six-string by mistake. You know about it immediately, let me tell ya. You could row a boat with one of those necks

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

ashgromnies posted:

So I want something with the flexibility of being able to play MIDI bass patches or regular bass sounds; mix them together, etc.

I saw the Industrial Radio MIDI Bass and it looks really cool: http://www.industrialradio.com.au/ but it's expensive as hell($4000 for the 4-string model)

I did some Googling and found this Bass to MIDI converter box: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sonuus-B2M-Universal-Bass-to-MIDI-Converter-105797088-i1521569.gc

Anyone use anything like that ever before? How reliable are they, and what would the benefits of going for something like the Industrial Radio MIDI Bass be versus just using a P-bass and that converter?

I'm pretty sure my Line 6 Varibass does that. Fairly certain they're not produced anymore but I've seen them pop up time to time on the used market.

Also more affordable at the under $500 price point.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 24, 2013

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Rifter17 posted:

The Industrial Radio bass should have no latency, that is delay between sounding the string and the trigger of a MIDI note. By splitting the frets into 4 sections, fretting a note closes a circuit telling the on board processor what note to play. Then the piezo element in the bridge will determine the intensity of the note. Therefore, the transmission of the MIDI note should be near simultaneous with the regular bass signal. Peavey actually tried making basses like this before with the same technology. But they made the mistake of putting this expensive feature on cheap, import basses. Also I don't think you will be able to do string bends with this system, but I'm not sure.

The Sonus box will take your 1/4" signal, attempt to do quick pitch matching of your signal, then transmit the MIDI note. The pitch matching creates latency and you may have delayed MIDI signals. I have not used one of these boxes and I'm hesitant to even try, especially live. The low frequency nature of bass makes pitch matching take even longer (low frequency means longer periods to determine the frequency). At least bass is monophonic so you may be able to use it.

I always wanted a bass that could do MIDI easily, but I don't think we're there yet for live use. That said, I think there are plenty of pedals out there that can close to synth-like sounds (perhaps a Pitchfactor pedal with a solid envelope filter).

Thanks for the advice. I looked at some demo videos of the converter on YouTube; it seems pretty glitchy -- for example it was consistently chopping sustained notes up into multiple smaller notes.

They have an iOS app, depending on the price I might give it a shot to see.

I own lots of synths already and want to control them with my bass guitar, as well as get some live bass signal mixed in. Sounds like my best bet for recording is gonna be to play and record the synthesized bass and live bass separately still. Thanks!

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

So after reading about the stories behind some of Chuck Rainey's bass lines, I decided to pick up "Shirley Scott & the Soul Saxes" and I haven't been able to stop listening to it. This is some of the funkiest bass playing I've heard in a while. Check this out, but don't get run over by the funk!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpcN5SGZqxE

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Still Amp shopping... my needs have changed.

I also play keys - so now I've decided to look for an amp that I can plug both my Bass and a Keys setup into.

This looks like its on the lower end of power (150watts, 200watts with external speaker), but I really like Peavey as a brand and it looks so nice:

http://www.peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/1072/72508/KB%26nbsp%3B5

How does this compare to the suggestions I got two pages back? I'm aware it's lower in power, but I'd take a 50-100w trade off to be able to plug my keys and bass into the same amp.

Suggestions from before included the Carvins: http://www.carvinguitars.com/bassamps/brhalfstacks.php

Ampeg BA115, and Fender Rumble 150.

Has anyone else tried the keyboard/bass combo before? Or something similar, like acoustic guitar / bass on the same amp?

Edit: Here's a slightly more powerful Keyboard amp - this looks functionally identical to the KB 5, yes? http://www.audiolinks.com/tek9/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jnhrjrhoo

Elephunk fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 25, 2013

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES
Getting back into bass and it really needs a string change, but I have no idea what to get. I have a Fenix by Young Change if that helps.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Gushing Granny posted:

Getting back into bass and it really needs a string change, but I have no idea what to get. I have a Fenix by Young Change if that helps.

What style of music do you play?

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Gushing Granny posted:

can't go wrong with either GHS Boomers or Ernie Ball Slinkys. String gauge is more down to what kind of tone you like, heavy gauge is darker, light gauge is brighter etc.

Elephunk posted:

Still Amp shopping... my needs have changed.
[...]

In your case you will probably want to get a keyboard amp over a bass amp. Bass amps tend to be biased towards low frequencies whereas (decent) keyboard amps should have an even response across all frequencies. Your keyboard will sound great through a keyboard amp, muddy-to-lovely through a bass amp; your bass will sound bright and possibly sterile through a keyboard amp, and great through a bass amp.

I'm also assuming your keyboard outputs in stereo which makes using a conventional bass amp more convoluted.

fwiw I occasionally use an electric guitar through my Carvin B2000 with the sub and bass turned down and mids/highs flat, and it sounds good (not great), however, this same setup with my Peavey TNT115 sounds awful... just so so awful in every way. The Carvin, though still bass-leaning, is pretty neutral as far as bass amps go, whereas my Peavey is stupidly boomy. The carvin is also terrifically more powerful than the peavey, which helps. My point is that a bass guitar should sound good through a decent keyboard amp, maybe not mind-blowing, but good enough. Both of the amps you linked should be fine unless you play with a loud band, in which case the bass guitar will get drowned out. If you have more cash to spend, this Roland would probably fulfill your needs. Its hard to say though without listening to them all in person.

One more thing: I mentioned earlier that your bass might sound sterile through a keyboard amp: if this turns out to be true, consider getting a bass preamp (rack mount or pedal) to go in your signal chain before it hits the keyboard amp.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Ericadia posted:

One more thing: I mentioned earlier that your bass might sound sterile through a keyboard amp: if this turns out to be true, consider getting a bass preamp (rack mount or pedal) to go in your signal chain before it hits the keyboard amp.
Sansamp VT Bass + keyboard amp = good/great idea for this situation?

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

The Leck posted:

Yes. VT Bass is always the answer.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

The Leck posted:

Best idea. Keyboard amps are basically (more) portable power amps with built in speakers so if you've got a bass preamp you like, problem solved.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I ended up going to guitar center and playing around. The 5 string felt like...a 4 with an extra string. I ended up buying a vintage modified 70s jazz bass in natural and the acoustic b15. I got the black friday coupon applied without the rush, which was nice. It sounds nice enough to me for $300 and feels great in my hands.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

havelock posted:

I ended up going to guitar center and playing around. The 5 string felt like...a 4 with an extra string. I ended up buying a vintage modified 70s jazz bass in natural and the acoustic b15. I got the black friday coupon applied without the rush, which was nice. It sounds nice enough to me for $300 and feels great in my hands.

Although some builders actually use math and ergonomics testing (hello Ibanez), a lot of em will build a 5-string bass exactly like that; take a 4-string, make the neck wider, and slap another string on there. Glad to hear you found something you like, the VM basses have a good rep with this thread :)

The Leck posted:

The Bunk posted:

Yes. VT Bass is always the answer.

Declan MacManus posted:

Best idea. Keyboard amps are basically (more) portable power amps with built in speakers so if you've got a bass preamp you like, problem solved.

I really love this thread :D

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

This is a SansAmp VT Bass? Bad price?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=used

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
Anyone compare the VT to a Sansamp BDDI? My friend lent me a BDDI and I can't get it to sound decent. Seems like people like the VT more.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Not the same one I use.

http://m.guitarcenter.com/Item/Default.aspx?itemno=1145273&source=4WWRWXGP&urx=1

I seem to recall the VT sounded better, but lacked a direct line to a PA? Probably?

Good price though. The amount of time mine has spent "on" is the same as the amount of time I've spent with a bass in my hands since buying it.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Yeah that's it. Everyone calls it "sansamp" but that's just a line of products from Tech 21. That's a mediocre price for a used one... Not great, but not bad.

And there are newer versions that have built in DI, but they are over $200 new. Honestly though, if you really want a DI, just use a standard VT Bass with a direct box on the end of the chain... That's what I do.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

The current VT Bass has a 1/4" output at line volume, which can be plugged into a PA; I typically run it into my SWR because most house PAs use pre-existing XLR rigs.

The VT Bass's drive is modeled after the Ampeg SVT, although it boasts to cover a range of different Ampeg and vintage bass amp tones; the BDDI is more of a vanilla drive with a modern tone. It's good to use with other amps as a drive, but I wouldn't rely on it specifically for its tone. It does fuzz great, that's about it. I prefer the VT; I kinda wish, in retrospect, I had gotten it as a rack unit, but I picked it up used for a bit less and I wasn't gonna turn down the opportunity.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I need a bass guitar to play basslines to my guitar tracks. Of all bass guitars, I like the sound of a jazz with flatwounds the most, and I am considering a fretless for that wonderful tone. Since I would be using this as a secondary instrument: providing basslines to my main forte of guitar playing, and some extra fun jazzy diversion - how does this sound as ideas go, for those of you who have experience with it?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

With fretless, you really have to be vigilant when it comes to intonation. You can't really jump into it the way a guitarist would with a fretted bass. There are lots of "those guys" who grab a fretless thinking they're good to go and everything they play is out of tune. That said, I'm not saying don't do it - but it will probably take a bit of practice to develop the muscle memory to play in tune consistently.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I did play bass for about a year, a few years ago and was at an early intermediate level so i wouldn't be jumping in totally dry, but I'd like to know about "those guys" actually, honestly. I would feel just as great if you could convince me out of it, or convince me to go for it.

I'm a bedroom musician and for creating music my focus is not on using the bass guitar as a driving force, rather to provide accompaniment to guitar/synth/vocals and probably be relatively simple. I would have thought I could handle intonation on the first few frets of the first few strings, even as a one-again beginner? I would take advantage of the sliding jazz fusion fretless wonder as a separate vocation, where it would be most likely solo or solo/drum improv.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Southern Heel posted:

I did play bass for about a year, a few years ago and was at an early intermediate level so i wouldn't be jumping in totally dry, but I'd like to know about "those guys" actually, honestly. I would feel just as great if you could convince me out of it, or convince me to go for it.

I'm a bedroom musician and for creating music my focus is not on using the bass guitar as a driving force, rather to provide accompaniment to guitar/synth/vocals and probably be relatively simple. I would have thought I could handle intonation on the first few frets of the first few strings, even as a one-again beginner? I would take advantage of the sliding jazz fusion fretless wonder as a separate vocation, where it would be most likely solo or solo/drum improv.

Will you be using a lined fretless and looking (after making sure that the lines are in tune, which only the really low ones will be) or would you be using an unlined one? If unlined, you'll need a lot of practice to play in tune. If you want to just pick up and play the day you get the instrument I think a fretted one would work better.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Definitely a lined fretless, i.e. http://www.andertons.co.uk/electric-basses/pid29895/cid682/squier-fretless-vintage-modified-jazz-bass-in-3-colour-sunburst.asp . When you say 'only the low ones will be', do you mean the fret markers won't be at the right points closer to the bridge?

Honestly, if not a fretless then I would aim for full versatility - a Squier VM P/J (probably with flats too). This would be 60 pounds cheaper, but is the idea that it's more versatile a false assumption? I enjoy both of the following sounds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y38C30bleOI&t=8s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFjA0cshhvc

Would I be able to get the sound in the second video using a PJ? Or is it a combination of both J pickups that's allowing it to happen?

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Nov 30, 2013

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Southern Heel posted:

Would I be able to get the sound in the second video using a PJ? Or is it a combination of both J pickups that's allowing it to happen?

You can get drat close. But a P/J won't sound exactly like a P, or exactly like a J.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Southern Heel posted:

Definitely a lined fretless, i.e. http://www.andertons.co.uk/electric-basses/pid29895/cid682/squier-fretless-vintage-modified-jazz-bass-in-3-colour-sunburst.asp . When you say 'only the low ones will be', do you mean the fret markers won't be at the right points closer to the bridge?

Honestly, if not a fretless then I would aim for full versatility - a Squier VM P/J (probably with flats too). This would be 60 pounds cheaper, but is the idea that it's more versatile a false assumption? I enjoy both of the following sounds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y38C30bleOI&t=8s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFjA0cshhvc

Yeah, basically on a lined fretless unless you have it set up perfectly the lines past the 12th fret are really unhelpful because they'll be out of tune. Intonation is a lot more noticeable on a fretless for some reason, so you really want it taken care of if you're gonna be using the visual cue.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Based on all of your advice, I've gone ahead and ordered a CV 60's P-bass. Many thanks guys,

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Southern Heel posted:

Based on all of your advice, I've gone ahead and ordered a CV 60's P-bass. Many thanks guys,

Good choice, I love the CVs.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If you still want to screw around with a fretless bass in the future a few different fender authorized parts suppliers make fretless necks. You could get one of those and swap back and forth between the two.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

SA ate quite a long reply, so excuse my brevity: that's a great idea and something I hadn't considered. I've already dropped an order for some Labella flats, is there anything else that I should be aware of with this instrument upon receipt?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Southern Heel posted:

SA ate quite a long reply, so excuse my brevity: that's a great idea and something I hadn't considered. I've already dropped an order for some Labella flats, is there anything else that I should be aware of with this instrument upon receipt?

Check the setup. Action, intonation, fret ends, etc. But that goes for anything that you haven't played. Squier's made big strides in consistency but you can still end with spotty setups.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

OK, am I likely to get it right myself following a video online? I've not had any success EVER with any truss rod adjustments! The reason I'd ask is, that those La Bellas were quite pricey, and I'd rather not have to re-buy them if I have to give the guitar in to get setup!

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 1, 2013

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Southern Heel posted:

OK, am I likely to get it right myself following a video online? I've not had any success EVER with any truss rod adjustments! The reason I'd ask is, that those La Bellas were quite pricey, and I'd rather not have to re-buy them if I have to give the guitar in to get setup!

Can you turn a door handle clockwise if I tell you to turn a door handle clockwise? Congratulations, you can adjust a truss rod! It's not hard or scary once you find a good video/writeup about the type of truss rod you have. Always adjust less than you need to and wait a day if you're nervous.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Fair enough, I've reviewed a few videos and it seems to be pretty much along the lines of the following, could you confirm if I'm barking up the right tree?:

1. Get the neck as straight as possible while still having some relief (quarter turns, wait a while between jumps) - capo the first and hold the last fret and check for clearance on the 7th/8th
1b. Check the nut by fretting the second fret and tapping the first and ensuring some string travel
2. Adjust the saddle height and intonation (Same as guitar)
3. Adjust pickup height to around 4mm below strings if necessary

Are there any special provisions for stringing flats instead of roundwounds? My very last question: I'll be recording through an eight-track (and using my monitors/headphones for sound) - down the road is there any reason for me to get a Sansamp Bass Driver? (I was thinking if god forbid I end up gigging, or maybe some kind of improved recording tone). Just a thought :)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Scarf posted:

You can get drat close. But a P/J won't sound exactly like a P, or exactly like a J.

With the J pickup all the way off a PJ will sound distinctly like a P, taking into account all the little differences between individual instruments, strings, phases of the moon, etc, and the back pickup will sound like a Jazz with the back pickup soloed. Both pickups on 100% is a totally different beast, though.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
If you love something, set it free. If it comes back...

Finally got my 1978 Ibanez Silver Series bass "Nola" back. The surgery to repair the headstock was a success. The guy here did an amazing job, and in addition to having the bass back, I'm pumped that there's a great luthier in the area.

Sounds just as good as I remember it :unsmith:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Do you have a 'before' ?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Southern Heel posted:

Do you have a 'before' ?

Before I sold it or before it got repaired?

If the latter, they're on the last page:

As to how it looked before I sold it... Identical. But, it also looks good naked :mmmhmm:

I'll see if I can get some close-up shots of the finished repairs. Dude said he was able to get a ton of glue up in there. Also said he took a lot of pics to put on his website since this was the first time he can remember that he's had to repair a maple neck/headstock break... FedEx must have wanged it pretty loving hard.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I felt a huge pit in my stomach when I saw that headstock break. Glad to see it's back in action!

Does anybody here have a Kala U-Bass? I kind of want one, but I'm not sure. If I do it'll probably be secondhand because $350+ is a bit too much for what would just be a fun toy for me.