Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It's pretty good, you guys should give it a read, digs into Naoto's character some more and the new guy is actually a cool dude.

For real?

The synopsis and the pictures make it look like pandering fanservice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

For real?

The synopsis and the pictures make it look like pandering fanservice.

That's because that's exactly what it is.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Oh. Well, poo poo, never mind I guess.

Slithy Toves
Oct 29, 2007
"Somehow it seems to fill my head with ideas--only I don't exactly know what they are!"

MrAristocrates posted:

I know people who assert it's completely unambiguous that she's trans, and that Kanji is also gay, but I feel like they're missing large parts of what makes those characters interesting by focusing entirely on their sexuality.

I think--no, I know, because I'm friendly with a lot of people who hold such opinions--that it's often less that they're "missing" anything and more that they're tired of fake-out PSYCH YOU GUYS THEY WERE TOTALLY NORMAL ALL ALONG LOL PHEW THAT WAS CLOSE bullshit in their entertainment and want this one to be the Progressive Tale of Their Dreams. It's basically just a cross between projection and lamenting what could've been, which is unproductive and depressing at best. (At worst, it's "Here, let me tell you how I would've written it" and then you get to read their embarrassingly ham-fisted after school special.) My counter-argument to them is "find different entertainment", but oh well!

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Mustach posted:

Oh, I thought you meant "in the end" as in "overall". Gotcha. I can't remember the picture, though; yet another reason to finish the game again, I suppose.

Yeah, no. Believe me Kanji is my favorite character in Persona 4 and if I didn't like him, I wouldn't have sunk hours or practice to get good with him in Arena. However I'd be lying if I said that upon finding out who his japanese VA is didn't help influence that decision.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Kanji? In Japanaese? Thats disgusting

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Kanji? In Japanaese? Thats disgusting

I weep for the man who doesn't like Tomukazu Seki.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

I weep for the man who doesn't like Tomukazu Seki.

You say that, but stuff like 未 and 末 being two different characters are complete assholes. It's a language joke.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Technically the Naoto novel and the Yosuke manga were canon as part of the whole "year of Persona 4" campaign, but the fan response to them was so negative that Atlus has decided to politely ignore them. Of course, they're both set after Arena so it's unlikely this'll ever come up unless P5 is more connected to the other games than we anticipated.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Strange Quark posted:

You say that, but stuff like 未 and 末 being two different characters are complete assholes. It's a language joke.

Straight over my head.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Technically the Naoto novel and the Yosuke manga were canon as part of the whole "year of Persona 4" campaign, but the fan response to them was so negative that Atlus has decided to politely ignore them. Of course, they're both set after Arena so it's unlikely this'll ever come up unless P5 is more connected to the other games than we anticipated.

That's the one wish I have for Persona 5 is that it's comepletely isolated from the other sets of Persona characters. I like the guys from 3 and 4. A lot. 3 held my spot for favorite RPG until 4 came along, but as it stands I'm really tired of seeing the characters every drat where because the series blew up and I really want some fresh blood for the series.

SethSeries fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 27, 2013

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

404GoonNotFound posted:

The Yosuke manga was a prequel to P4, though. Saki even shows up a lot in it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is Saki actually treated like a reasonable character or is she just treated as psycho bitch because she hated Yosuke? I'm assuming the latter.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Strange Quark posted:

The Yosuke manga was a prequel to P4, though. Saki even shows up a lot in it.

Ah, my mistake. I heard it was bland enough to not read in the first place. The "new school" thing in the synopsis just made me think it was after summer vacation, not a flashback to him arriving to Inaba :doh:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

That's the one wish I have for Persona 5 is that it's comepletely isolated from the other sets of Persona characters. I like the guys from 3 and 4. A lot. 3 held my spot for favorite RPG until 4 came along, but as it stands I'm really tired of seeing the characters every drat where because the series blew up and I really want some fresh blood for the series.

I'd rather them realize that it's called Persona 3 for a reason. I'm fine with P3 and P4 characters showing up if P1 and P2 characters show up too.

In fact, I'm fine if the party members consist almost entire of P3 and P4 characters if Eikichi is in it.

I just really want Atlus to remember Eikichi exists. Hell, I'd take Maya.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
gently caress Eikichi, where's Baofu?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Hellioning posted:

I'd rather them realize that it's called Persona 3 for a reason. I'm fine with P3 and P4 characters showing up if P1 and P2 characters show up too.

In fact, I'm fine if the party members consist almost entire of P3 and P4 characters if Eikichi is in it.

That may just be a nitpick from me, but honestly I'd rather see the 2 characters in a new game, even if it's just a side story, or something neat for the Vita than just show up in P5 and possibly not be super relevant. As I said I'm down for fresh blood, but the world could use more of the Persona 2 cast in other venues.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Is Saki actually treated like a reasonable character or is she just treated as psycho bitch because she hated Yosuke? I'm assuming the latter.

She's mostly portrayed as polite and kind of distant, I guess. We don't really get to see too much characterization since the manga gets in four chapters before it rolls into the early events in the game.

The manga itself is also pretty short, if you're interested in taking a look yourself.

Cloche
Mar 4, 2010

404GoonNotFound posted:

gently caress Eikichi, where's Baofu?

The Eternal Punishment cast really was great, wasn't it? Baofu, Ulala(? i don't remember if that's spelled right), and Katsuya were all awesome. Maya wasn't as fun as a silent protagonist, but I still liked her.

It would actually be super cool to have another mainline Persona game starring adults, too, but I can't really see that happening after the huge success of 3 and 4's school setting.

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.

Slithy Toves posted:

I think--no, I know, because I'm friendly with a lot of people who hold such opinions--that it's often less that they're "missing" anything and more that they're tired of fake-out PSYCH YOU GUYS THEY WERE TOTALLY NORMAL ALL ALONG LOL PHEW THAT WAS CLOSE bullshit in their entertainment and want this one to be the Progressive Tale of Their Dreams. It's basically just a cross between projection and lamenting what could've been, which is unproductive and depressing at best. (At worst, it's "Here, let me tell you how I would've written it" and then you get to read their embarrassingly ham-fisted after school special.) My counter-argument to them is "find different entertainment", but oh well!

I was with you until that last sentence.

Most media aimed at minority sexual/transgender groups is terrible as hell, and portrayals in other media tend to also be Pretty Bad, so,

edit: unless I'm misreading what you meant by entertainment

Cheap Diner Coffee fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 27, 2013

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hellioning posted:

IIRC aren't all the kids (excluding Tatsuya) completely unable to summon their Personas after Eternal Punishment? P3 did give minor shoutouts to the entire P1/2 cast in Trish's Corner, and Eikichi's living it up as some kind of quasi sushi chef/judo master/visual kei rock star right now. Kid turned out alright.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Policenaut posted:

IIRC aren't all the kids (excluding Tatsuya) completely unable to summon their Personas after Eternal Punishment? P3 did give minor shoutouts to the entire P1/2 cast in Trish's Corner, and Eikichi's living it up as some kind of quasi sushi chef/judo master/visual kei rock star right now. Kid turned out alright.

I'm fairly certain Tatsuya is the only one who CAN'T, given he lost his memories. Restoring Jun/Eikichi/Lisa is a choice, I think.

Bold is not spoiler.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Hellioning posted:

I'm fairly certain Tatsuya is the only one who CAN'T, given he lost his memories. Restoring Jun/Eikichi/Lisa is a choice, I think.

Bold is not spoiler.

Jun also loses his because he's the only one who can't get his memories back, no matter what choices you make.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Cloche posted:

The Eternal Punishment cast really was great, wasn't it? Baofu, Ulala(? i don't remember if that's spelled right), and Katsuya were all awesome. Maya wasn't as fun as a silent protagonist, but I still liked her.

It would actually be super cool to have another mainline Persona game starring adults, too, but I can't really see that happening after the huge success of 3 and 4's school setting.

They could keep the school setting while inching closer to adult characters by putting the game in a university instead of a high school. Persona: The College Years. Or even flip the script by making our characters the teachers instead of the students.

But I too would be perfectly happy with another cast of adults who aren't necessarily linked by any particular school, workplace, or other setting, as in Eternal Punishment.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

TurnipFritter posted:

Jun also loses his because he's the only one who can't get his memories back, no matter what choices you make.

Really? Man I need to replay EP.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Hellioning posted:

Really? Man I need to replay EP.

Yeah, because if you let Ginko and Eikichi get their memories back, then it means Jun is literally the only thread that's holding the deal in place. So if you could restore his memories, I guess the world would end (again) and everyone would just be completely hosed.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Proto Cloud posted:

Romancing with Kanji is a bad idea to begin when I never saw any sign of him being interested in being in a relationship with Narukami. On the other hand, the women in the party just crazy for Yu like dogs in heat before you know it. Kanji wanted Naoto and that just didn't quite pan out like he wanted to.

I'm not a huge fan of forcing homosexual romances just because, like Bioware does. If you're gonna do it, do it right, not because of PROGRESS.

In Golden, if you choose to wear the bathhouse towels and talk to Kanji, he'll comment on your chest and ask if her can touch it because your muscles are just that amazing.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Nessa posted:

In Golden, if you choose to wear the bathhouse towels and talk to Kanji, he'll comment on your chest and ask if her can touch it because your muscles are just that amazing.

That's cheating, Yu can turn even the straightest man gay for him.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Don Gato posted:

That's cheating, Yu can turn even the straightest man gay for him.

This is true.

I also tend to think of Kanji as being bi (though I might be biased, being bi myself), because of his attraction to Naoto. I'm one of the few people who appreciate the ambiguity of his sexual identity because 1) having Kanji be straight up gay would only serve to reinforce the negative stereotypes about sewing and fashion making you gay and 2) Kanji's sexuality is for him to figure out and the audience doesn't necessarily have to be privy to that.

The correct answer is to always flirt with Kanji all the time.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

You should always pick the Kanji option, always.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't like doing that because it feels like I'm making fun of Kanji, but I do it anyway because it freaks out Yosuke.

Slithy Toves
Oct 29, 2007
"Somehow it seems to fill my head with ideas--only I don't exactly know what they are!"

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

I was with you until that last sentence.

Most media aimed at minority sexual/transgender groups is terrible as hell, and portrayals in other media tends to also be Pretty Bad, so,

edit: unless I'm misreading what you meant by entertainment

No, and I agree with you, actually! It's just...well, you can either be really upset that a thing that never intended to live up to your ideals didn't, or you can look elsewhere for something that might get closer (or at least tried). This isn't to say that criticizing the failures and missed opportunities is wrong or stupid--much to the contrary, that's fantastic, being intellectually engaged with pop culture is a good thing!--but there's a difference between saying, "The 'flirt with dudes' dialogue choices in Persona 4 would've been better if they weren't presented as wacky joke options" (though I guess you don't have to read them that way...) and feeling betrayed by the resolution of Naoto's character arc. The story the game set out to tell isn't the story they're looking for; yeah, 90% of the stories that are "the story they're looking for" are poo poo, but they're there. Kind of.

I'd really just recommend that they get out there and start creating the stuff they want to see, but then I remember The Arkh Project. :v:

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

MrAristocrates posted:

I don't like doing that because it feels like I'm making fun of Kanji, but I do it anyway because it freaks out Yosuke.

I always read those responses as being straight up flirting, rather than teasing. I also enjoy making Yosuke incredibly uncomfortable. Yosuke is not man enough to be cool with checking out another dude in his swimsuit.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Dude there needs to be a flirt with everyone option, come on now.

And goddamn, I think Yosuke's head would explode if he met Jun aka Fantabulous Flowers Dude

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Would he, though? He seems to have mostly got over it by the night at the inn and if memory serves me right, entirely by the "Where are they now" part in Golden. I mean, not that he isn't a huge jackass for a good chunk of the game, he is, but he does improves over the course of the game.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Yeah, Yosuke is cool in that you can just watch him grow over the entire game from a stupid high school boy to a kinda alright dude.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Hell, his relationship with Naoto is even more proof of that. He liked her before he knew she was a girl because he liked her as a *person*, not a gender. Which as far as lessons go, that is a drat good one

He didn't know her as a person at all. He thought she was cute and was confused, then relieved when it turns out she's a girl.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

The_Frag_Man posted:

He didn't know her as a person at all. He thought she was cute and was confused, then relieved when it turns out she's a girl.

Maybe they had some small talk after she was done questioning him about the murders during both times he talked with her. Even though Kanji kind of has a hard time speaking without getting agitated, he can still hold a decent conversation, especially if it's going to be with someone who's working with the cops. Who can really say?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The_Frag_Man posted:

Fair enough, I meant that in the sense that he was attracted to her as a "man" and didn't *completely* lose his poo poo over it because boys are gross. He was more worried about what that would make him than anything else, which is a common worry with that kind of thing (seeing that he was already insecure about his adorable bunnies).

I always wrote off him being relieved as him being glad that he could still say he was a totally hetero guy forever, rather than have to deal with all of that right then. Which is reasonable, that stuff can be scary at the start.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

BrightWing posted:

Yeah, Yosuke is cool in that you can just watch him grow over the entire game from a stupid high school boy to a kinda alright dude.

This is one of the few things I sort of liked about Arena's story is that you could see Yosuke is clearly just tired at that point and just wants to chill out. Compared to the start of Persona where he's bored so he's using the deaths of girls to try and play hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, I would not blame any of the P4 guys for being sick of this poo poo. How many times did they think things were solved and WHOOPS, NEW BULLSHIT INCOMING, between P4 itself, the Golden additions, and now P4 Arena.