Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Level 5 Iron Hammer makes it less practical but it wins out on the cool factor. "Oh -- you wanted this board? Too bad." *THWAM*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

What is the best setup for Iron Man 35? 5/5/3? It seems like his blue is too expensive and competes with a lot of stuns and utility moves, but I keep tripping over blue covers for him.

Also, I am on the verge of dropping ten bucks on HP to buy more roster space. I blew through all the easy HP in the campaign just buying more spots, and it only got me to 9. And NOW I find Wolverine and Classic Storm. Is there anything else I should buy to help get me off the ground?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
Most people figure that 5 blue is the best not because it's good, but because they don't need Recharge to get more expensive and you gotta level him to max somehow.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

vibratingsheep posted:

Most people figure that 5 blue is the best not because it's good, but because they don't need Recharge to get more expensive and you gotta level him to max somehow.

Wrong IM. IM35's blue is worthless, it's a good nuke attack but you're far better off taking 5/5/3 for the quick yellow attacks and free protect tiles. Keep in mind that only flies of you are substituting him for Thor, if you use both on the same team then you may as well not have IM35 at all

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Reading this thread has severely hit my confidence in my roster. I thought I was doing well by levelling up my default heroes, but I probably need some feedback. Here's what I've got so far:

code:
lvl 30 Wolverine X-Force (-/1/-)
lvl 29 Thor Marvel NOW! (3/3/2)
lvl 22 Iron Man Model 35 (5/4/4)
lvl 20 Black Widow Modern (5/5)
lvl 20 Wolverine Astonishing X-Men (1/2/4)
lvl 18 Storm Classic (2/-/5)
lvl 18 Black Widow Grey Suit (-/1/1)
lvl 16 Captain America (3/1/2)
lvl 15 Spider-Man Classic (2/-/-)
lvl 15 Iron Man Model 40 (-/-/1)
lvl 15 Loki Dark Reign (1/-)
lvl 06 Moonstone (1/1/-)
lvl 06 Daken (1/-)
lvl 06 Magneto NOW! (1/-/-)
lvl 01 Venom (2/-)
Here's the question - what should I get rid of here? I've got Spiderman who can only use Web Bandages, and my Iron Man Model 40 can only recharge his systems without having any attacking abilities.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

vibratingsheep posted:

I think you're referring to IM40 and he was asking about IM35?

Starrett
Mar 22, 2006

Forum Oddity
I think you are confusing your Iron mans.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Zero Star posted:

Reading this thread has severely hit my confidence in my roster. I thought I was doing well by levelling up my default heroes, but I probably need some feedback. Here's what I've got so far:

code:
lvl 06 Moonstone (1/1/-)
lvl 06 Daken (1/-)
lvl 01 Venom (2/-)
Here's the question - what should I get rid of here? I've got Spiderman who can only use Web Bandages, and my Iron Man Model 40 can only recharge his systems without having any attacking abilities.

Spidey is pretty great once you get some blue covers, and he's fairly rare. Venom is really only useful as a gimmick (with Spider Man or Bag Man), and his covers are really common. I'd dump that since you haven't spent any ISO on him yet. You should be spending all hero points on cover slots for a while still of course.

I think Moonstone and Loki are terrible too, but they are more rare.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Zero Star posted:

code:

lvl 06 Moonstone (1/1/-)
lvl 06 Daken (1/-)
lvl 01 Venom (2/-)

Keep IM40, he can be a tank that lets you recharge AP quickly alongside Thor. I would either grind out the covers to upgrade your Venom, or just ditch him. They're all over the place as rewards, so it's pretty easy to get a 5/4 or 4/5 or whatever pretty quickly. Just don't max out his purple, it makes it more expensive when you could be easily dropping down five web tiles to devour somebody, or even the whole team of you're lucky.

Otherwise Loki is extremely unlikely to ever see action in your party.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
I'm having trouble getting any headway into the lightning rounds. The best I can get up to is around 250. It takes five minutes if skipping to find a team that doesn't have 85 Thor/85 Storm/Guest, and half the other teams are mid-leveled boosted villains.

My main team is level 79 Thor whom im pouring every spare iso into, level 50 wolverine, and the guest. My main problem is the lack of iso. I use the two regular boosts (ap all and yellow/red) every match, and that cancels out any iso gain matches. After the facebook rewards nerf my iso gain has been obliterated.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
The Thor-Storm teams are crunchy and good with ketchup and Thor-Wolverine is the logical progression from that. You're graduating from "please hit me to trigger massive counters" to race-to-the-damage-tiles, and with boosts you should win that race pretty often and benefit from Wolverine's healing to last a lot longer.

If you can run with two boosts (+3/all and +3 Red/Yellow) and win you should come out slightly ISO-positive, which sounds nasty but isn't. Get that Wolverine level up to Thor's if you can, you'll want him out front more often than not.

That said, yeah, getting to 250 can be a struggle at times. If you're frustrated enough, cherry-pick some easier fights and go without boosts to build some ISO for leveling or go beat on SHIELD Versus for a bit.

Kravdraa
Jun 10, 2002

Zero Star posted:

code:
lvl 06 Moonstone (1/1/-)
lvl 06 Daken (1/-)
lvl 01 Venom (2/-)

If you really have to get rid of things, Daken shows up a lot and you could probably get more later if you ever decide you want to run him. As has been said, Venom is also common as hell. One day worth of lightning rounds, even if you just fight enough to get the 50 point token (2 or 3 wins) and you'll be rolling in Venoms.
I'd be reluctant to get rid of most of the 2 or 3 stars, especially Spider-Man. Mine has sat idle for ages, but I know I'll get a blue cover some day...

Your Thor and Wolverine (2*) are pretty well advanced, I'd suggest pushing those as high as possible. Having a couple of powerful guys will serve you better than keeping everyone around the same level.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I just grinded down a level 30 IM40 with my team of level 20 starter Iron Man, Spiderman with only yellow, and level 11 Black Widow to get 100 HP from the Reinforcements matches... and I still can't buy a roster slot? I got a notification that resupply had arrived and I got 50 HP and some cover free, but they're not there?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Wolverine is wonderful when you manage to get a nice stock of red and a bunch of green. Why yes, I would like to fill the board with Strike Tiles and do 500+ damage even with the lovely colours.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Deep Winter posted:

Which wolverine? Old man Logan? X-23? Hellverine? Plain clothes? Yellow and tan original costume? Patch? House of M? Had his adamantium ripped from his bones by magneto, almost killing him, but increasing his healing factor and feral beastness? Ultimate? Future ultimate cable with the laser claws? Anime version with the katana claws?

Because, I mean, there are a lot to choose from.

A couple of pages back. But no one mentioned the best Wolverine.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

delfin posted:

The Thor-Storm teams are crunchy and good with ketchup and Thor-Wolverine is the logical progression from that. You're graduating from "please hit me to trigger massive counters" to race-to-the-damage-tiles, and with boosts you should win that race pretty often and benefit from Wolverine's healing to last a lot longer.

If you can run with two boosts (+3/all and +3 Red/Yellow) and win you should come out slightly ISO-positive, which sounds nasty but isn't. Get that Wolverine level up to Thor's if you can, you'll want him out front more often than not.

That said, yeah, getting to 250 can be a struggle at times. If you're frustrated enough, cherry-pick some easier fights and go without boosts to build some ISO for leveling or go beat on SHIELD Versus for a bit.

Yeah I used to think Cstorm was overpowered. But she just comes into her build very quickly and she is given drop. Almost every 2* hero, not called bagman, is as powerful or more when you finally get max covers and max level.

Now I see her as the soft nougat in a crunching chocolate team. I can take her out in about 2-4 turns. If I see a Cstorm on a team that will give me at least 20 points then it is loving on.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Shwqa posted:

Yeah I used to think Cstorm was overpowered. But she just comes into her build very quickly and she is given drop. Almost every 2* hero, not called bagman, is as powerful or more when you finally get max covers and max level.

Now I see her as the soft nougat in a crunching chocolate team. I can take her out in about 2-4 turns. If I see a Cstorm on a team that will give me at least 20 points then it is loving on.

Classic Storm is the combo piece for my 5/0 Ragnarok. I'm running 5/0 Ragnarok with 5/2/2 Storm and 4/4/3 Thor and the number of turn two or three wins I get is insane.

The only problem is that anyone can walk all over my team because the computer doesn't know how to dump all its red in one turn.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Jibo posted:

Classic Storm is the combo piece for my 5/0 Ragnarok. I'm running 5/0 Ragnarok with 5/2/2 Storm and 4/4/3 Thor and the number of turn two or three wins I get is insane.

The only problem is that anyone can walk all over my team because the computer doesn't know how to dump all its red in one turn.

Oh yeah that would make sense. Ragnarok is stupidly broken. You can't be the best damager, best tile creator, and best tank.

Kravdraa
Jun 10, 2002

Shwqa posted:

Oh yeah that would make sense. Ragnarok is stupidly broken. You can't be the best damager, best tile creator, and best tank.

One reason I was kinda hoping that they'd make a fresh start with the PC version. They could tone certain characters down (and improve others) without complaints from people who've spent real money. Sadly they're going cross-platform. It's going to be rough when all the new Steam players start their first tournament and the *easy* teams are the ones with 85 Thor/85 Storm...

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Kravdraa posted:

One reason I was kinda hoping that they'd make a fresh start with the PC version. They could tone certain characters down (and improve others) without complaints from people who've spent real money. Sadly they're going cross-platform. It's going to be rough when all the new Steam players start their first tournament and the *easy* teams are the ones with 85 Thor/85 Storm...

Hahaha yeah that is a train wreck waiting to happen. Course they have that problem with all new players. They really need a few more chapters out to get newbies up to snuff for pvp.

Anyways the max stats list is complete. If you want to see which hero truly kick rear end. http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=590

Edit: Holy mooly the new patch hit and its a big one

quote:

New Character!
[*]New Legendary (4-Star Character): Invisible Woman
[*]She is only available as a placement reward in the Unstable Iso-8 event.

Loki
[*]Loki's Illusion ability now moves tiles around the board rather than changing their color.
Illusions - Purple 5 AP
You can't count on anything when Loki's around. Changes the location of 14 colored tiles.
Level Upgrades
Level 2: Changes the location of 18 colored tiles.
Level 3: Changes the location of 22 colored tiles.
Level 4: Changes the location of 26 colored tiles.
Level 5: Changes the location of 32 colored tiles.

Cover Packs
[*]Heroic Cover Packs now cost 300 Hero Points

Reinforcements Tournament
[*]Captain America's buff is now set to 200%

Unstable Iso-8 Event is back! (Starting today!)
[*]Each phase of the event now has 2 replayable missions
[*]Buffed characters: Spider-Man (Classic) - 50%, Captain America (Modern) - 200%
[*]Special Packs available for this event:
[*]2 Star & Better: Hero Point Pack with Heroic Pack contents and an increased chance of Spider-Man (Classic)
[*]Spider-Man: Hero Point Pack with a Guaranteed Spider-Man (Classic)

Invisible Woman (Classic)
4 Star Rarity (Legendary)

Grant Invisibility - Yellow 23 AP
The Invisible Woman hides the weakest member of the team. Turn a chosen basic Yellow tole into an Invisibility tile. While it's on the board, the invisible character can't be targeted.
Level Upgrades
Level 2: Costs 1 AP less
Level 3: Costs 1 AP less
Level 4: Costs 1 AP less
Level 5: Costs 1 AP less

Force Bubbles - Blue 14 AP
Susan concentrates deeply, locking one chosen tile plus one for every 10 tiles bearing her symbol.
Level Upgrades
Level 2: Reduces tiles required for each additional Force Bubble to 9.
Level 3: Reduces tiles required for each additional Force Bubble to 8.
Level 4: Reduces tiles required for each additional Force Bubble to 7.
Level 5: Reduces tiles required for each additional Force Bubble to 6.

Force Field Crush - Green 12 AP
Invisible Woman shatters a 3x3 area around 1 random Force Bubble, unlocking but not destroying it. If there are no Force Bubbles on the board, she creates 1 in a random location. This ability ends the turn.
Level Upgrades
Level 2: Creates 2 Force Bubbles in none exist.
Level 3: Targets up to 2 Force Bubbles.
Level 4: Creates 3 Force Bubbles in none exist.
Level 5: Targets up to 3 Force Bubbles.

Edit2: The red iso tournament has begun. I got excited and now I'm stuck in a match. I don't want to win for fear of being put in a bracket with whales

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 27, 2013

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
So for red iso events. Do you wait until it is nearing the end, it start from the beginning?

Kravdraa
Jun 10, 2002

I don't want to start thr new red ISO until I know whether there's going to be rubberbanding - not after the Venom event.

Is that a buff for Loki? Illusion seemed pretty bad before, but the new version still seems random as hell. You may get a massive cascade, or nothing.
They really need to give him a third power, maybe something blue for his frost giant heritage...

Also ouch at the price increase for heroic covers, not that I was planning to buy any.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Magneto Top 8, yay! Maggie Red is now 2/1/4 and I have a purple cover I'm staring at with trepidation. 4/5/4 sounds like a drat good build -- Magnetic Field at 6AP, Magnetized Projectile at 2AP for spamming, up to 9 swaps for Magnetic Translocation. The fifth purple doesn't help its damage unless there are 10+ red and 10+ blue on the board.

Or I could just leave the red for Thor and go 5/3/5.

EDIT: Started Unstable ISO and this is the same drat event, cutscenes and all!

delfin fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 27, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yup. Oh well at least players who missed it the first time around can enjoy it. And I get to do it agai. With a better team.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Yup. Oh well at least players who missed it the first time around can enjoy it. And I get to do it agai. With a better team.

It's actually been quite fun for me. This event was really hard last time, this time I'm stomping it into the floor.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

So should I just do the red iso event now or wait until the last day? I don't want to waste my time if the values on the last day are 3000% more.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I think I want the hawkeye modern rewards more than invisible women. Sure a 4* is nice, but I'm never going to finish that. So I'm going to take this easy get my progression rewards to max cover the Captain and sit back hoping to be knocked down. If I get a 500hp reward instead, that is cool too.

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

DrManiac posted:

So should I just do the red iso event now or wait until the last day? I don't want to waste my time if the values on the last day are 3000% more.

Assuming its exactly like the first time it was run, there is no rubberbanding, and new missions appear every other day, replacing old ones.

edit: Although now that I've run through the missions, I do seem to be getting slightly more points than I remember from the first time.

chrisf fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 27, 2013

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

chrisf posted:

Assuming its exactly like the first time it was run, there is no rubberbanding, and new missions appear every other day, replacing old ones.

It is, it says in the event description that new missions show up every other day. The first day has piss easy repeatable missions if your aiming high (oh no! yelena with a pyro or level 26 no names).

I got over 5,000 iso from doing all the mission. Get big IM40, get big.

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

Yeah, people are already farming the first day repeatables. Doing every mission once was enough to get me to #74, getting 1-3 is going to be impossible.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Invisible woman seems pretty bad considering, and I don't need any Modern Hawkeyes. I'll enjoy my weekend and just finish do the regular missions once for huge ISO.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
If you haven't tried out the Cold Snap environmental skill yet, do it. It's fun.

EDIT: Just noticed that I now have 17 health packs.

delfin fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 27, 2013

Kravdraa
Jun 10, 2002

chrisf posted:

Yeah, people are already farming the first day repeatables. Doing every mission once was enough to get me to #74, getting 1-3 is going to be impossible.

It's going to be another case of which chicken can peck the most times. I did each repeatable until the icon turned green, the rewards kept diminishing. Managed the Yelena one without boosts, managed the other one without using *powers*, so if I did nothing else for 24 hours I'm pretty sure I could get up there in the top ranks...

Edit: So Original Widow's new power still isn't live? I'm saving all of my recruit tokens (and most ISO) until it is.

Kravdraa fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 27, 2013

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I just got an IM40 and Grey Widow cover back to back in a 500 ISO lottery :psyduck:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Okay, I said gently caress it and dropped 20 bucks on the game. Still a little miffed about the IAP scheme, but I figure I've played it at least as much as I would on XBL already. I bought myself up to 15 roster slots -- how many characters are there? Also, are any of the HP cover lotteries worthwhile? I have a Yellow Spiderman, but I don't think I want to drop 3/4 of my remaining HP on a 1/3 change of getting his Blue ability.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
At present, both repeatables for me are worth... 0 points each.

I am in 34th place.

This is... not good planning.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I think I'm comfortable at around 20+ slots, but I'm a hoarder. Lotteries look tempting at the start, but you'll get plenty of chances with the contests. Do the Lightning rounds and you'll get 1 or 2 basic tickets. Events and story quests throw them out pretty regularly as well. Starting out, I'd recommend Iron Man, Modern Storm and Modern Black Widow as good starting characters to level. You'll get plenty of their covers. Keep in mind that you get 13 upgrades maximum, so you'll end up with 5-4-4 or 5-5-3 power distributions. Use the power list in the OP to guide you when upgrading. Two power characters max both anyway.

Once you get two or so maxed level and skill Characters, you'll find yourself getting steady hero point income anyway. In the long run, I think Thor and Wolverine 2* are my bread and butter. Classic Storm is another favourite, but I've put her on the backburner since she's not as durable. 2* Black Widow is quickly earning her spot in a 3 man team because she's got good AP steal abilities, she can heal for a lot, and her upcoming 3rd ability looks amazing. She's fairly rare though compared to Thor/Wolvie/CStorm.

Junk characters: Hawkeye Classic, Yelena, Juggernaut. Some argue for Juggernaut because he's a tank and has a green tile smasher, so YMMV.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 27, 2013

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
Finished in the top 100 in the last lightning round, and using that token got me a classic Spiderman!

purple classic Spiderman :smith:

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Seems like every other page someone asks about how they should level their characters or who to sell. Maybe throw some builds in the OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, will throw together some stuff soon.