Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

:siren: It will probably be cheaper when it almost certainly goes up as a daily :siren:

That said, Sons of Abraham and the other new DLC isn't on sale. I expected as much, but still! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

https://www.humblebundle.com/store CK2 Collection for 20USD for about as long!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

AfroSquirrel posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com/store CK2 Collection for 20USD for about as long!

Is that everything but the Sons of Abraham themed DLCs? Pretty good deal for someone just getting into the game.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is that everything but the Sons of Abraham themed DLCs? Pretty good deal for someone just getting into the game.

It doesn't have TOG either. It's still a good deal.

e: It does include Sunset Invasion. For any new players, :frogsiren: TURN SUNSET OFF IMMEDIATELY. :frogsiren:

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 27, 2013

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I let the game run in observer mode for a while and some really strange things happened.

Not sure what happened here:

Byzantine Empire turned Sunni trade republic:

The Caliph somehow turned Ecumenical Patriarch:

The Patriarch is back, now as a Catalan duke of Barcelona:

I didn't know the Knights could have a succession crisis:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

TjyvTompa posted:

I let the game run in observer mode for a while and some really strange things happened.

Not sure what happened here:

What the gently caress. There are 22 provinces in that "county". I'm trying to think through the implications of this, because gently caress me if Paradox will have...

Fake Edit: Gavelkind is obviously going to wreck it, unless counties in those regions don't start with gavelkind. She's got to be getting the mother of all demense size penalties, but if you're just a count, with no vassals but barons, that might be a non-issue. And with her being a deceitful, arbitrary, greedy woman, yeah, all of her vassals must hate the poo poo out of her. So she's totally hosed if anybody wants to carve out some of her holdings.

But goddamn, think of the claims her children are going to get. That's gonna be a clusterfuck for the next century. :pcgaming:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Alectai posted:

In case it wasn't clear, I just want to know if it's physically possible to beat a Usurper if, or some reason or another, you can't stab them before they show up.

Can't you stab them after they show up?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

DStecks posted:

What the gently caress. There are 22 provinces in that "county". I'm trying to think through the implications of this, because gently caress me if Paradox will have...

Fake Edit: Gavelkind is obviously going to wreck it, unless counties in those regions don't start with gavelkind. She's got to be getting the mother of all demense size penalties, but if you're just a count, with no vassals but barons, that might be a non-issue. And with her being a deceitful, arbitrary, greedy woman, yeah, all of her vassals must hate the poo poo out of her. So she's totally hosed if anybody wants to carve out some of her holdings.

But goddamn, think of the claims her children are going to get. That's gonna be a clusterfuck for the next century. :pcgaming:

She created a single duchy after a couple of years and it was primogeniture for some reason. She only kept 2 counties when creating the duchy so there were a lot of claim-less autogenerated people so it's actually extremely stable.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Is there a way to easily see which CK2 DLCs I still need, without clicking on each and every one in the Steam store?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

TjyvTompa posted:

She created a single duchy after a couple of years and it was primogeniture for some reason. She only kept 2 counties when creating the duchy so there were a lot of claim-less autogenerated people so it's actually extremely stable.

Lame. :smith: It would have been incredible if she'd stayed a count, had 10 children, then dropped dead. Each of whom would obviously get claims on all ~22 of her holdings. That would have been magical.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

Can't you stab them after they show up?

You can do either, but once they show up, they have a temporary ducal title (Some Guy's Host) and jump up to at least 150g per diplo-stab. Before than, if they're a nobody who is related to nobody, it can be as cheap as 50g.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Does the Ecuminical Patriarch own ALL of Barcelona? It looks that way. Can you check and see if it's de jure drifting into his demesne? I'm curious to see if that's even possible.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

Does the Ecuminical Patriarch own ALL of Barcelona? It looks that way. Can you check and see if it's de jure drifting into his demesne? I'm curious to see if that's even possible.

I don't think that would be possible. Religious headship is always a titular title, and those can never hold de jure territory.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

alcaras posted:

Is there a way to easily see which CK2 DLCs I still need, without clicking on each and every one in the Steam store?

The DLCs you have should be listed on ck2 the launcher, the store is awkward about showing what you do and don't have, for whatever reason.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Hey, I'm trying to get VIET to work, but it crashes whenever I choose any starting point besides the default. Is it probably just the patch and the version conflicting or something else?

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

WEREWAIF posted:

The DLCs you have should be listed on ck2 the launcher, the store is awkward about showing what you do and don't have, for whatever reason.
You can also right click your game in Steam, click properties then click the DLC tab.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Giving a second shot of my run, had a promising start, then some douchebag with a 1K stack shows up.

I figure "Hey, no problem, I can manage three to one odds with some mercs..."

My levy just /Bounces/ off of it, despite me having more generals, each of a higher rank then the other stack.

Not really sure what happened there. They had a slight terrain advantage, but it shouldn't have been that loving decisive given the numbers and general quality I threw at it. A five percent combat advantage probably shouldn't equate to crushing the other side and killing most of their dudes when you're outnumbered that badly.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

What are the requirements for Ironman Mode? I've deleted all my mods and verified my game cache but it still won't let me use it.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

alcaras posted:

Grab the Enhanced Steam plugin for Firefox and go to the store page, it'll highlight anything you have already.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Grab the Enhanced Steam plugin for Firefox and go to the store page, it'll highlight anything you have already.

Perfect! Thanks, this makes it easy to see what I have and what I still need.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Galaga Galaxian posted:

:siren: It will probably be cheaper when it almost certainly goes up as a daily :siren:

That said, Sons of Abraham and the other new DLC isn't on sale. I expected as much, but still! :argh:

The two DLC on sale I don't have are Sunset Invasion and the Customization pack, and I find it pretty funny that they are priced the same.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Also if you click 'buy all' steam will highlight the ones you already have so you can remove them.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

DStecks posted:

I don't think that would be possible. Religious headship is always a titular title, and those can never hold de jure territory.

It's a king level title, though, like the Papacy, as opposed to the ducal level titles of the pagan religions, Miaphysites, and the two branches of Islam. The pope can and DOES get de jure drift. I've had a game where the Pope owned most of what's normally Andalusia.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There's 23 dollars worth of DLC I don't have. They are nearly all "Songs of X" ones. Plus some portrait packs and unit packs. Are the songs of ones worthwhile?

Happy Fun Bollocks
Aug 4, 2007

by Ion Helmet

LordPants posted:

There's 23 dollars worth of DLC I don't have. They are nearly all "Songs of X" ones. Plus some portrait packs and unit packs. Are the songs of ones worthwhile?

Listen to them on youtube and see if you like them?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Happy Fun Bollocks posted:

Listen to them on youtube and see if you like them?

I knew that. Couldn't you see I was joking.

:negative:

Also, I should get the portrait packs because my dudes a racist, all people who aren't Norse or English look the same. Literally.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

LordPants posted:

They're good songs, and they aren't a bad price at all. Keep in mind though that most of them have requirements in order to play normally, so I personally just throw all the game's music into a folder and put them on a playlist.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Is that a bug? Aren't you supposed to need to be in power for 10 years before you can even change laws?

The only explanation I can think of is that a faction made him lower it + change the law. There were a couple of medium sized factions that disappeared so maybe he caved to their demands.

Torrannor posted:

Player is deposed = -1 CA
New ruler lowers CA the "normal" way = 2-CA in total

Additionally: New ruler switches to gavelkind, because I think you can still change your succession laws even if you already used your once-in-a-lifetime crown authority change. I'm not even sure that you have to wait 10 years between them.

I didn't know that overthrowing a ruler lowers CA. It makes sense since he overthrew me and then I overthrew him. I dunno how he changed to gavelkind though since there is a "no vassals fighting each other requirement" that is impossible to fulfill in an empire that size.

Knuc U Kinte fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 28, 2013

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I kind of wish Paradox would just release music bundles for all the song dlc.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I didn't know that overthrowing a ruler lowers CA. It makes sense since he overthrew me and then I overthrew him. I dunno how he changed to gavelkind though since there is a "no vassals fighting each other requirement" that is impossible to fulfill in an empire that size.

He probably wimped out and gave in to a gavelkind faction.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

DStecks posted:

Titular titles can become non-titular through de jure drift, actually. It's only tribal titles which can never have de jure territory. I once saw the Papacy have the duchy of Latium drift into it.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Were you running elective before being overthrown?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I didn't think i'd like the old gods. Holy poo poo, was I wrong. Started as a custom Ivar the boneless, ended up taking the majority of Britain by the time I was 30. My only problem now is that I don't have any boats so i can't go reform the faith.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I heard that Paradox was offering anyone who bought expansions through GamersGate Steam keys. Is that correct? If so, how do I get them so that I can continue buying new expansion packs.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Has there been a good Zoroastrian strategy guide made anywhere? I can consolidate my power pretty well at the start, swearing fealty to the Muslims to the east, gobbling them up from the inside, independence faction once I've got all the provinces not directly owned by the Shah of Khiva, usurp the title, take the rest by force. Then I managed to Holy War for Birjand when the Saffarids had a big civil war. Then I lost Birjand and stand to lose far more because the Saffarids and other assorted Muslims pounce on me the instant I have any internal strife, since the Holy War casus belli means they've constantly got a bullet with my name on it.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
Like you said, pledge to the big dudes. Have some kids and create some courtiers. Invite/marry to get as many Zoroastrians in your court as you can. Convert yourself to Islam after your kids are born and keep raising your kids as Zoroastrians with Zoroastrian tutors and Zoroastrian wives. This also allows you to have multiple wives, and have more kids, they'll also be born Muslim but most should convert if you have enough tutors of the proper faith. Once you've got a strong enough country from within Persia, take it over as a Muslim. Imprison and take over everyone who is difficult in terms of attributes, zealous people, ambitious people, gather as many titles to yourself as you can before you die, then when your Zoroastrian kid inherits, pass out the titles to courtiers/family members, bribe anyone you can who will convert. You're set!

My most successful Zoroastrian game I also set up a Zoroastrian steppe kingdom to the north in Cumania. They expanded on their own all the way into Perm and Russia. You want to set up another Zoroastrian kingdom or two just to have someone for alliances and such, it's more fun if you're not the only one.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

Were you running elective before being overthrown?

I started as Byz so I'd been running primo the whole game.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

QuoProQuid posted:

I heard that Paradox was offering anyone who bought expansions through GamersGate Steam keys. Is that correct? If so, how do I get them so that I can continue buying new expansion packs.

They will offer them in the future if everything works out. Not right now though.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I just turned back the Aztecs without losing a county (unfortunately, it looks like another, less awesome country might lose a few). It took pretty much all of my resources, but I was able to grind down their stacks and outmaneuver them into a bunch of losing situations. I kept going into debt, but I pulled out. Not a week later, my emperor dies at the ripe old age of 78, having lived to see the terrifying menace from beyond the sea put in its rightful place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fall Sick and Die posted:

Like you said, pledge to the big dudes. Have some kids and create some courtiers. Invite/marry to get as many Zoroastrians in your court as you can. Convert yourself to Islam after your kids are born and keep raising your kids as Zoroastrians with Zoroastrian tutors and Zoroastrian wives. This also allows you to have multiple wives, and have more kids, they'll also be born Muslim but most should convert if you have enough tutors of the proper faith. Once you've got a strong enough country from within Persia, take it over as a Muslim. Imprison and take over everyone who is difficult in terms of attributes, zealous people, ambitious people, gather as many titles to yourself as you can before you die, then when your Zoroastrian kid inherits, pass out the titles to courtiers/family members, bribe anyone you can who will convert. You're set!

My most successful Zoroastrian game I also set up a Zoroastrian steppe kingdom to the north in Cumania. They expanded on their own all the way into Perm and Russia. You want to set up another Zoroastrian kingdom or two just to have someone for alliances and such, it's more fun if you're not the only one.

Ooh, that's a good call, I had never considered converting (well, I did, but just out of frustration with all the holy wars, I never thought it could be advantageous to Zoroastrianism). It somehow never occurred to me that the conversion would only be temporary. Thanks for the advice!

• Locked thread