Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

geera
May 20, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

Definitely.

Of course, I'm debating returning mine for an iPad Air. The Mini fits better in to my job, but the Air would be better for reading and general web surfing.

I needwantneedwant both.
I did this and don't regret it. The form factor on the Mini is great, but the Air is better for reading (I was experiencing strained/dry eyes while reading on the Mini). It's a little more annoying to hold at length one-handed, but it's worth it to not have to constantly pinch and zoom all over the place when reading (especially in Safari).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

geera posted:

I did this and don't regret it. The form factor on the Mini is great, but the Air is better for reading (I was experiencing strained/dry eyes while reading on the Mini). It's a little more annoying to hold at length one-handed, but it's worth it to not have to constantly pinch and zoom all over the place when reading (especially in Safari).

Yeah, the thing that's stopping me is that the form factor of the mini is just so handy. It slips in to my whitecoat pocket and I hardly know that it's there.

geera
May 20, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah, the thing that's stopping me is that the form factor of the mini is just so handy. It slips in to my whitecoat pocket and I hardly know that it's there.
There are times when I would prefer to have the Mini form factor... mostly when I'm playing a game on the couch and want one-handed use to be a little less cumbersome. But that's just the trade-off. I don't travel enough to care much about portability. I would like to give the Mini another shot some day and try to find a way around the eye strain issues. I didn't have them with the original Mini, so it's definitely due to the switch to retina screen in that size.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I held onto my iPad 2 for the longest time cause I thought I barely benefitted from Retina and preferred lightness to power. I got the Air because I wanted the lightness, but now I really, really agree the screen is a major step up. It was a real significant difference the first time I loaded up the forums on my Air. I think I literally just clicked around the forum soaking in how nice the text looked for a while.

Get Retina. If you enjoy your internet reading and you iPad is your main device for that, you will get your value out of it.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Maybe a little off topic, but has anyone heard of any MFi controllers that are compatible with the iPad? I'm using the Moga Ace on my iPhone but I'd love to play games like Oceanhorn on a bigger screen.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Hasters posted:

Maybe a little off topic, but has anyone heard of any MFi controllers that are compatible with the iPad? I'm using the Moga Ace on my iPhone but I'd love to play games like Oceanhorn on a bigger screen.

No word yet. We may see one at some point, but that would be a very costly accessory with a limited audience.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

computer parts posted:

Would people say the iPad Retina Mini is worth the extra $100 over the regular Mini? I haven't had a chance to look at the Retina one in person but my sister has a regular Mini and it seems okay for what I want to do (generic web surfing replacement for my laptop).

The Retina Mini is ~5 times faster than the old mini, according to benchmarks. It's worth it for the A7 alone. The A5 is getting long in the tooth.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Out of curiosity is it possible to use my iPhone 5S AT&T sim in my mini retina? The 5S has an unlimited plan, so I am betting on no, but I was just wondering.

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

Definitely.

Of course, I'm debating returning mine for an iPad Air. The Mini fits better in to my job, but the Air would be better for reading and general web surfing.

I needwantneedwant both.

Hey RE, I went the opposite direction - I got the air and returned it for the mini. It was a miniscule weight difference but seemed a lot less convenient to whip out of my white coat than the mini. Loving the mini - the form factor is perfect and papers and poo poo are pretty easy to read on it.

Edit - Also worth noting - I rarely put my ipad down on a surface, so portability of the mini meant more to me than the greater screen real estate. Also I guess I have smallish hands but the Air still felt a bit clumsy and large for me to use while holding it.

CerebralDonut fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 28, 2013

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Is there any reason to have a smart cover AND a bluetooth keyboard case? I'm getting an iPad Mini for my g/f for christmas, and I want to get the bluetooth keyboard case for her so it can function as a mini laptop..but I'm wondering if there is any reason to get a smart cover too or if the keyboard case is sufficient?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

unlawfulsoup posted:

Out of curiosity is it possible to use my iPhone 5S AT&T sim in my mini retina? The 5S has an unlimited plan, so I am betting on no, but I was just wondering.
It should be. It doesn't take but a couple seconds to swap them. Why not find out?

EDIT: In the time it took you to come to the forum, write a post, and wait for this answer, you could have done it and found out.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Endless Mike posted:

It should be. It doesn't take but a couple seconds to swap them. Why not find out?

EDIT: In the time it took you to come to the forum, write a post, and wait for this answer, you could have done it and found out.

Maybe he's scared of extra charges or something.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
One thing I have noticed with the Air vs my iPad 2 is just how the buttons and touch screen feel a lot less substantial now. The screen especially, it just doesn't feel as solid. I guess it is to get the weight down but it is my only one minor quibble with it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
It does kinda tap hollow, yea.

But that's the slimming and shrinking iteration process for you...

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah it's just different after being used to the 2. The lightness is fantastic, though.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Endless Mike posted:

I google searched and got all kind of mixed messages, and figured someone here could give a quick answer.

illcendiary posted:

Maybe he's scared of extra charges or something.

Basically this, I have a grandfathered unlimited and I do not want to lose it because I was curious.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Obscurity posted:

Is there any reason to have a smart cover AND a bluetooth keyboard case? I'm getting an iPad Mini for my g/f for christmas, and I want to get the bluetooth keyboard case for her so it can function as a mini laptop..but I'm wondering if there is any reason to get a smart cover too or if the keyboard case is sufficient?
Only reason I can think of is if the keyboard case isn't sufficient and she doesn't want to use it all the time, like cause the size/weight addition and/or it's hard to use cause they're tiny rear end keyboards.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

unlawfulsoup posted:

I google searched and got all kind of mixed messages, and figured someone here could give a quick answer.

Basically this, I have a grandfathered unlimited and I do not want to lose it because I was curious.

It should work fine, it's mostly a matter of whether AT&T s system identifies the new device as a tablet and switch you to a tablet plan. Although unlimited data was offered for tablets for a bit, so that might not matter to the system either. Honestly, it's an unknown, although ATT Corp can recover a grand fathered plan within 14 days.

Spacely Sprockets
Nov 4, 2013
Looking to buy a new iPad soon... Are there any good deals coming up? Online preferable but will go to walmart or best buy if it's worth it

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Spacely Sprockets posted:

Looking to buy a new iPad soon... Are there any good deals coming up? Online preferable but will go to walmart or best buy if it's worth it

It's literally the craziest shopping day of the year in the US. Several places are bundling giftcards and cutting prices, discounting older generations even more heavily. Look at a deals site.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Well, I managed to gently caress up my photo backup so that (long story short) I now have a whole number of duplicates. Is there a way or an app that easily let's me delete them?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

eddiewalker posted:

It's literally the craziest shopping day of the year in the US. Several places are bundling giftcards and cutting prices, discounting older generations even more heavily. Look at a deals site.

Just keep in mind that a lot of the really good "deals" you'll see from Walmart or Best Buy and so on are gonna be for the older generations. My roommate was so happy to have picked up an iPad mini for whatever cheap price plus a gift card or whatever, only to find out it's the iPad mini 1 and not the iPad mini 2.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
You're roommate didn't get tricked. He just didn't pay enough attention if he intended to get the retina model. Both are currently in production and Target has gift cards bundled with both.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Apple Store has the Air with a free $75 gift card. Not the Retina mini though. The old versions come with a $50 gift card but don't buy them.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Anyone looking for a really cheap nice case for their Air should look at the Poetic Slimline.

http://www.amazon.com/Poetic-Slimline-Generation-Manufacturer-Warranty/dp/B00CW1N6CY/

For $10 it's really well made, and works as well as my Smart Cover. I don't know if I will use it all that regularly since I am pretty happy with the Smart Cover for day to day use, but I wanted an ultra light case that covered all sides of the iPad for travelling, and this is perfect. Wish it didn't have the brand logo on it but whatever, it's not overly offensive. For the price saved compared to the Apple Smart Case I'm pretty drat happy.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
You can pop those silver letters of the logo right off with the tip of a knife and it doesn't look as tacky. No glue or residue underneath.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Thanks for that idea! I bought one of these from Amazon for 5 bucks and now it looks a million times better without that logo.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
My Air still crashes all the way to the boot logo once every other day, always at the most annoying times. For the first few week it seemed Safari related, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Anyone else getting this on the Air? I'm trying to guess if it's hardware or iOS7. I'm still running 6 on my phone so I don't have anything to compare with.

I'm ok with hoping 7.1 fixes it, but if it's hardware, I've got no idea how I'd reproduce the issue at an Apple store.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

eddiewalker posted:

My Air still crashes all the way to the boot logo once every other day, always at the most annoying times. For the first few week it seemed Safari related, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Anyone else getting this on the Air? I'm trying to guess if it's hardware or iOS7. I'm still running 6 on my phone so I don't have anything to compare with.

I'm ok with hoping 7.1 fixes it, but if it's hardware, I've got no idea how I'd reproduce the issue at an Apple store.

I'm getting it on a 5S, an iPad mini and an iPhone 4S. It seems to be WebKit related, not Safari, so it's happening in any app with an embedded browser view.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Sound like I'll hold out hope for 7.1 then. Thanks.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation
Definitely miss the stability of v6.0.whatever my original mini had. The rMini crashes a lot in Safari.

djhaloeight
Jan 23, 2007

techno mafia.
There's definitely memory management issues with Safari. My Air crashes to the home screen every time I load a large web page with lots of content. I read you can recreate it by loading a twitter feed or a page that loads comments indefinitely at the bottom and scrolling to the bottom and continue clicking "load more" or whatever and eventually it will crash. My diagnostics and usage screen in settings is full of low memory logs. Quite annoying. This thing needed at least 2 gigs of RAM.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Bloated rear end wikia pages love to crash my browser, but not my ipad entirely.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'm debating upgrading my 3 to an air. I'm really not a huge fan of not having the touch ID stuff, but the $75 apple credit is tempting me.

Is the lack of a RAM bump that obvious? I've seen a lot of people complaining about safari reloading pages left and right. Is this a thing?

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'm debating upgrading my 3 to an air. I'm really not a huge fan of not having the touch ID stuff, but the $75 apple credit is tempting me.

Is the lack of a RAM bump that obvious? I've seen a lot of people complaining about safari reloading pages left and right. Is this a thing?

The lack of a RAM bump is obvious. I don't think it's too much worse than the 3, but I notice it. That said, I think the Air is substantial upgrade over the 3. I sold my 3 before the announcement, and was initially underwhelmed by the Air, but bought one because I still wanted a tablet. It's awesome, and the increased speed ands decreased weight and size really do make a big difference. That said, I'm looking forward to next year's model, which should hopefully have Touch ID and 2gb RAM.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Having recently done that, it's like night and day - mostly owing to the fact that the SOC in the air is five times faster than the 3.

Everything is noticeably smoother, and games in particular are obviously running at a higher, smoother frame rate.

As for the ram, it feels like every other iPad I've had in terms of reloading pages and the like. Except a reloaded page on the air takes a quarter the time it was on the 3, so.....

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
I'm usually a unitasker on my iPad so the reload thing isn't such a big deal to me. The weight, smaller size, and improved battery life or appearance of such means so much more.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Returned my day one iPad air to Target and bought another one at Target and got the $100 gift card. iCloud backup rules. Really does.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thanks for the replies.

Two more questions. Does TMobile still do the free 200mb/month thing? Of so, are there any catches or is it as straight forward as it seems?

Can you use a TMobile iPad on any of the other LTE networks if you get an appropriate SIM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranbe
Dec 9, 2012

Thanks for the replies.

Two more questions. Does TMobile still do the free 200mb/month thing? Of so, are there any catches or is it as straight forward as it seems?

Can you use a TMobile iPad on any of the other LTE networks if you get an appropriate SIM?

No catches, although when I went into the T-Mobile store to do it, I had to argue with them that it is, in fact, a thing. They haven't done a good job of instructing their sales reps about it.

Basically, you set up a pre-paid data account (whether you're an existing customer or not), and don't buy any data. You get 200MB/month for free, after which it automatically shuts you off. You can buy one-off or recurring data after that. Seems like a really good deal to me. I figure I might need a fair amount of mobile data only rarely, so I can buy it then if I need it--and just use minimal mobile data most months.

The standard suggestion is to get the Verizon iPad, so that Verizon will never refuse to activate it--which may not be true vice versa. That's what I did, swapped in the T-Mobile SIM, and it works perfectly.