Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

Cresce is a bunch of imperialistic, unempathetic dickwads, but even with that in mind Alderode still comes out looking like North Korea with wizards.

Don't forget commie necromancers! But Alderode is definitely winning the evil race so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

reignonyourparade posted:

Well I imagine one part of it is alderode is the only place his religion isn't illegal. That would probably cloud one's judgement.

Yes, that would certainly explain it before his death. But Duane now has a huge internal conflict with his religion, which makes it interesting he still holds onto it. I guess it's what he knows.

The Crecian religion (Gefendur), also involves canabalism as a ritual process, so that's another negative.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 25, 2013

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Can we talk about how :black101: Ssaelism is? I mean, this is a religion of "Nuh uh! Your gods aren't real 'cause mine's better and killed all of yours!"

Hell, it's kind of amazing, considering how famously Gefendur and Ssaelits get along that they managed to coexist within Alderode as long as they did.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
SO on reread I've noticed that in Jivi's dream he's already got cutter's knife. So how common is Legitimate Prophecy in the world of Unsounded, do we know?

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

Oxxidation posted:

I doubt it helps that one of the tenets of Ssaelism is that only the Aldish can become Ssaelit (and all non-Ssaelit are heathen infidels who should probably just die so they can hustle along reincarnation towards being reborn as Aldish).

Cresce is a bunch of imperialistic, unempathetic dickwads, but even with that in mind Alderode still comes out looking like North Korea with wizards.

That's actually not one of the tenets of Ssaelism; the whole "only Aldish are Ssaelits" is because every other country face-murders them. So theoretically, when you have reincarnated enough that your soul is ready to adopt Ssaelism as the one true religion, you MUST be reincarnated into Alderode because that's the only place where you might live a full lifetime as a devout of Ssael.

If Ssaelism were legal everywhere you could reincarnate anywhere without it being a problem.

reignonyourparade posted:

SO on reread I've noticed that in Jivi's dream he's already got cutter's knife. So how common is Legitimate Prophecy in the world of Unsounded, do we know?

Are you talking about the thing around his neck? That's not a knife, it's a whistle, and Cutter stole it from Jivi, who took it back after Cutter died. So Jivi is just dreaming he still has it.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Huh. Yeah, so Lemuel was in on this.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Do you know how long it was until I picked up on the mirroring of the "That ain't the way it should be!" line? It wasn't until someone linked to that dream sequence in here that I ended up seeing one shortly after the other and realized what was up.

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011
And he MIGHT have rambled to Duane at least a little bit about what was going on, but Duane was too what-the-gently caress-is-happening-to-me delirious that he doesn't remember.

And I'm wondering how much Mikaila dying disrupted whatever plan they had.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
So.. how old is Sette, anyhow?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Old enough to realize that bankers are truly the most feared creatures on this earth.

real talk like ten, twelve.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Benagain posted:

Old enough to realize that bankers are truly the most feared creatures on this earth.

real talk like ten, twelve.

In human years or in whatever she is years?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

In human years or in whatever she is years?

She must have grown up at a more or less regular pace or the Frummagems would've got to talking. More than usual, I mean.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Benagain posted:

I really really love this detail, that she sees bankers as the very pinnacle of a cool badass thing, out of control, playing it fast and loose etc.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Paramemetic posted:

I really really love this detail, that she sees bankers as the very pinnacle of a cool badass thing, out of control, playing it fast and loose etc.

It's in-character, cute as hell, and also very funny.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ashley dodges questions about Sette's age in the most intentionally hinting ways possible, and I recall seeing a formspring answer where she talks about how "old" her eyes look.

She also posted a picture of her as a rugrat and obviously the other "Family" members would've noticed if she didn't age properly so she's probably some weirdo reincarnating senet beast or the reincarnation of Tirna (my pet theory) or some poo poo. Thankfully this will get answered during the story.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Fabricated posted:

Thankfully this will get answered during the story.
Or you'll have to read an offsite short story to find out what happened. :v:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Jackard posted:

Or you'll have to read an offsite short story to find out what happened. :v:

Has that ever been the case? As far as I know everything character-wise off-site has been side content with the same characters but different continuity. There's been a bunch of world building stuff off-site for the comic, but that's perfectly fine as it's not necessary to the comic for most people.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Takezio posted:

And he MIGHT have rambled to Duane at least a little bit about what was going on, but Duane was too what-the-gently caress-is-happening-to-me delirious that he doesn't remember.

And I'm wondering how much Mikaila dying disrupted whatever plan they had.

I'm not sure Mikaila WASN'T part of the plan, Lemuel asked for her to come to the temple with Duane.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
While neither seems particularly healthy, Sette's method of dealing with her feelings is far more amusing.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The real question is where the hell did Sette learn the word dyspepsia?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm kinda annoyed she's still enough of a poo poo that she's still manipulating Duane. The gently caress needs to happen to her to properly get empathy?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fabricated posted:

I'm kinda annoyed she's still enough of a poo poo that she's still manipulating Duane. The gently caress needs to happen to her to properly get empathy?

She's not manipulating him anymore, she's straight-up asking for his help. All her cards are out now - they're in Cresce, Stockyard's wise to her, and she's got to wrap up this job with or without him. The only leverage she has left over Duane is Winalils' talisman, which probably won't help if Knock comes knockin' by sunset.

Hell, her dyspepsia line straight-up says that she is getting empathy and it's pissing her off.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Fabricated posted:

Am I missing something? I feel like she's pretty much above board with him at this point.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Oxxidation posted:

She's not manipulating him anymore, she's straight-up asking for his help. All her cards are out now - they're in Cresce, Stockyard's wise to her, and she's got to wrap up this job with or without him. The only leverage she has left over Duane is Winalils' talisman, which probably won't help if Knock comes knockin' by sunset.
Today's page gave me the impression she was using her new knowledge of his past to manipulate him and she was annoyed that she felt guilty about doing it, hence her cursing the gods/her dad about it. She's still manipulating him; she just actually feels bad about it now.

I imagine she'll finally get her real comeuppance whenever she gets the big origin reveal and finds out she's not really Nary's daughter or even human for that matter.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Today's page gave me the impression she was using her new knowledge of his past to manipulate him and she was annoyed that she felt guilty about doing it, hence her cursing the gods/her dad about it. She's still manipulating him; she just actually feels bad about it now.

Then it's the wrong impression. She feels bad about caring for Duane in any capacity at all. Even all the way back in the khert she made it clear that she never wanted to know his past.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
It's both things. She's saying "yes, I'm manipulating him, isn't that what I was supposed to do with that information", but she's actually manipulating him by being mostly sincere. And she is feeling lovely about the whole deal from beginning to end, and pissed off that she's feeling lovely about it because she's supposed to be A Hardened Criminal and not susceptible to those feelings.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Fabricated posted:

I imagine she'll finally get her real comeuppance whenever she gets the big origin reveal and finds out she's not really Nary's daughter or even human for that matter.

I hope she never gets comeuppance. I love Sette just how she is. As for not having empathy, she's a child, most don't.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Finally, Unsounded addresses the difficult issue of fantasy race relations & magic blackface.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
What, did Rahm think he was acting Aldish, or something else?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think he was just trying to teach him a quick lesson about calling people freaks. Though I'm not sure if making him look like a plat is a good punishment for him being insensitive to a plat kid really :shrug:

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I guess people have mentioned it in the comments on the site. But does anyone else notice that Rahm's legs appear to be invisible? It's obviously intentional, because it was the same way last comic too.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Jackard posted:

Cresce seems to have a thing for egalitarianism. In theory this should extend to acceptance of different races; for most Crescians this gets overridden by nationalistic pride and xenophobia, at least where the Aldish are concerned, but Rahm presumably believes in the ideals that most of his countrymen merely give lip service to (because he is The Best Character.) Calling someone a freak for their skin tone runs counter to all the principles that Cresce is supposed to be founded on even if most people happily ignore that part.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Anyone else think Matty's glamour sort of resembles a hypothetical child of Rahm and his amazing wife?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
What the hell... WHERE ARE HIS FEEEEEEEET?!?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Oxxidation posted:

Anyone else think Matty's glamour sort of resembles a hypothetical child of Rahm and his amazing wife?

Ghosts can't have kids (but I agree, by the way). Did I mention I think Rahm just might be a ghost?

geist hirsche
Jul 23, 2004

I also hadn't noticed Rahm's invisible legs till now. But going back they definitely were always there (or not there, I suppose), just easy to miss since there's so much going on in the pages.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ghosts can't have kids (but I agree, by the way). Did I mention I think Rahm just might be a ghost?

He's a lot more solid than the other ghosts though. Then again he is a spellcaster, which might change the dynamic up a bit as well.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jackard posted:

A.o.D. posted:

What the hell... WHERE ARE HIS FEEEEEEEET?!?

Huh, maybe this things are related; Rahm, rather than (just) putting the glamour on Jivi for being a bit racist to Matty, could have done that for him being a dick about Jivi being blind, he himself having lost his legs or something. And they did establish that you can get new (magic) eyes, so new (also magic) legs are likewise presumably possible.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
Glass actually answered the Rahm question on Formspring, it's not plot relevant but I'll spoiler it anyway:

Q: Oh, I thought Rahm's legs were maybe spectral limbs that were discussed on Formspring forever ago.

A: They kind of are. The khert dispersed a lot of superficial Aspects like everything to do with visibility but his legs and trunk are still THERE, for the most part. You can't see them or feel them (neither can he) but you can't pass through them. Because my feeble brain is capable only of thinking of things in terms of video games, the legs' hitbox is there but not their graphic T_T
Comments

Q: Is there any way to survive pissing off the khert, or does it just delete you the instant you become an irritant?

A: The way to survive is to be awesome. Leave the field of the khert until it's calmed down. That means putting a few hundred feet between yourself and the ground. It's doable but you only got a few seconds to make it happen, and you may wind up losing your legs if you're not fast enough.
Comments

Basically, Rahm was badass enough to survive massively loving up a spell and attempted khert dissolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Basically, Rahm was badass enough to survive massively loving up a spell and attempted khert dissolution.

Ahh okay, so he royally screwed up a spell, survived the khert backlash, but not before the khert had dissolved the fundamental visibility/feeling qualities of the lower half of his body.

Neat, though another reminder that magic in this setting is freaking dangerous.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 13, 2013