Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Rasaad's quest had a pretty fun twist. Jump through the hoops, it's worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Illegal Username posted:

Rasaad's quest had a pretty fun twist. Jump through the hoops, it's worth it.
Was it the fact that he ends up the head of that heretical order? At least that's what happened in my game. Though I think I managed to convince him to convert the order to the teachings of Selune instead of remaining heretical.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Factor_VIII posted:

Was it the fact that he ends up the head of that heretical order? At least that's what happened in my game. Though I think I managed to convince him to convert the order to the teachings of Selune instead of remaining heretical.
That. Even though he was actually right and Collan was Alorgoth in disguise, everyone screwed the pooch with their respective cults so bad they needed to keep on keeping on with the heretic thing :v:

JohnnyBigPotatoes
Jun 8, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPENDING $732.49 ON DIABLO 3 GOLD AND THEN SELLING ALL THE ITEMS AND GOLD FOR $38.27 BECAUSE I WAS AFRAID OF THE TAXES AND IRS

Mitt Romney 2012
click here to find out more
Gotta say that the way my evil playthrough is going is pretty satisfying in a hosed up way.

So far I've Murdered Keldorn in the sewer, stood by while Viconia got burned, burst unnanounced into some guys wedding and slaughtered everybody (Dorns idea) walked into the druid grove, poisoned the water spoiling the land and then killed every one including Cernd and overall have been picking the aggressive/psychotic conversation options where ever possible which provokes a surprising amount of situations to just collapse into a straight brawl. When Nalias mother talked down her nose at me while I was risking my neck for her home that ended badly for her, Nalia was stood right there as well :(

The knights who had been made to appear as ogres got gibbed, as did the Umar hills bunch I know can be reasoned with. As a preist of Talos so far I've got one guy to murder his cheating wife and her lover then ratted him out to the city guard and when a woman came to me and confided she had began to question her faith I executed her on the spot for heresy.
The temple higher ups are really pleased with how I've chosen to discharge my duties and so far haven't mentioned Valgyrs dead body and a mercenary dwarfs severed head that I have stuffed in the chest at the foot of my bed.

Having to sneak into the city occasionally to donate to get my rep above despised is a pain and prices at the shops suck but tbh not having to pussy foot around people and actually kind of acting like the motherfucking Bhaalspawn that I am is great.

I did get Neb for the little kid though because gently caress that guy.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
One of the tweaks in the tweak pack mod will give you discounts for having very low rep, for what it's worth.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

MrTheDevious posted:

Oh man BG2 is STUPID awesome fun. Barely out of the intro dungeon, found some sewers, died to a Raksasha, reloaded and smashed him, then met some sewer bandits I refused to give 1k gold to and they promptly obliterated me. Went back and coated the whole area in entangles and webs, then cloudkilled and spammed lightning and fireballs.

The only attack they got off was a disintegrate on Jahira and I just kept going since she was being a bitch anyway. So much sick loot :dance: Is there eventually a point where you can't cheese even really hard encounters just by laying down a ton of disables then spamming cloudkills and fireballs?

Just so you know, that rakshasa you killed drops a cloak, right? The cloak lets you turn into a mustard Jelly. Mustard Jellies have 100% magic immunity. Suddenly mage battles got a liiiiiiiitle bit easier.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
I did not, in fact, realize that was a thing. I just slapped that cloak on someone and forgot about it. They're seriously immune to magic?

Not that mage battles right now are all that hard, honestly. My PC's a F/M who memorizes nothing except self buffs, breach type stuff, and a couple area disables...combine that with Keldorn and his bustedass dispels and mages normally can't even make it to my party before they're stripped of everything and being pounded. I've only hit a couple mages so far with the ridiculous contingency sequences and I just make sure Edwin has a backup breach.

Kinda hoping it gets hard again later. BG1 raped me sideways repeatedly through the whole game but BG2 just turned into me rampaging through everything once I'd filled out my party. Been doing nothing but NPC/sidequests though, still haven't even paid the guy 20k for Imoen yet

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
It'll take damage from some spells that aren't targeted at it, sometimes (It's kinda iffy like that) but direct spells aimed at the transformed guy will just fail.

If you want a challenge and you happen to loot a gem called a rogue stone from somewhere then you might want to go try opening random doors in the bridge district while you have the gem in your backback. Only good things will happen. Oh, and there's a house in the temple district where you found the sewer entrance with a pretty fun fight in it too. The quest it was part of never got finished so you never get told to go there by anyone.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

What exactly are the rules of an ironman run? I am interested in trying one out from BG1 to TOB.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

cheesetriangles posted:

What exactly are the rules of an ironman run? I am interested in trying one out from BG1 to TOB.
No reloading. You die, you start over.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

King Doom posted:

It'll take damage from some spells that aren't targeted at it, sometimes (It's kinda iffy like that) but direct spells aimed at the transformed guy will just fail.

If you want a challenge and you happen to loot a gem called a rogue stone from somewhere then you might want to go try opening random doors in the bridge district while you have the gem in your backback. Only good things will happen. Oh, and there's a house in the temple district where you found the sewer entrance with a pretty fun fight in it too. The quest it was part of never got finished so you never get told to go there by anyone.

Aw poo poo yeah thanks, doing both of these asap. Seem to be stuck inside the first part of Hexxat's quest until I finish and I have a pretty strong suspicion I'm going to be finding a different thief after this...

Also, can somebody spoiler where the rogue stone is? I don't have that puppy yet and I'd rather just go pick it up and anger something sicknasty. I don't want to google it because I'm sure I'd end up spoiling whatever is waiting to eat me

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Orgophlax posted:

Only core rules or higher. Better get lucky on those level ups, son! :colbert:

(it's a drat shame what happened to your only scroll of stoneskin)

verybad fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 27, 2013

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Keldorn just obliterated Viconia out of nowhere 30 minutes into a dungeon that doesn't allow you to leave or save the game :suicide:

Selane
May 19, 2006

MrTheDevious posted:

Also, can somebody spoiler where the rogue stone is? I don't have that puppy yet and I'd rather just go pick it up and anger something sicknasty. I don't want to google it because I'm sure I'd end up spoiling whatever is waiting to eat me

Just go to Mae'var's guildhall in the docks and pick all the locks on all the doors on the second floor, you can find one in there. Alternatively you can buy one from the fat guy on the first floor.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Orgophlax posted:

Are you allowed to have other party members or does it have to be solo?

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

cheesetriangles posted:

Are you allowed to have other party members or does it have to be solo?

There really are no other rules except no reloading.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Can someone elaborate on the typical mage fight defense dismantling? Not running Keldorn for the easy 2x Dispel Magics that I imagine trivialize these fights. I should be using Invisibility Purge/Jan's Goggles/Gem of True Sight to disarm their Shadow Doors/Improved Invisibility so I can land some Spell Thrusts or Breaches because otherwise their invisibility means I can't even target them? And I can't just spam Dispel Magics because Spell Mantle/Invulnerability Spheres/Spell Turning will just ignore that poo poo?

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Huh i think the item randomizer mod didn't work for me, i must have dungeon b gone'd too fast or something. The special merchants with Balduran items and stuff aren't randomized and i think they're supposed to be.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Selane posted:

Just go to Mae'var's guildhall in the docks and pick all the locks on all the doors on the second floor, you can find one in there. Alternatively you can buy one from the fat guy on the first floor.

Right on, thanks!

Selane
May 19, 2006

steakmancer posted:

Can someone elaborate on the typical mage fight defense dismantling? Not running Keldorn for the easy 2x Dispel Magics that I imagine trivialize these fights. I should be using Invisibility Purge/Jan's Goggles/Gem of True Sight to disarm their Shadow Doors/Improved Invisibility so I can land some Spell Thrusts or Breaches because otherwise their invisibility means I can't even target them? And I can't just spam Dispel Magics because Spell Mantle/Invulnerability Spheres/Spell Turning will just ignore that poo poo?

If someone is using illusions, True Sight will always work, Dispel/Remove magic can work but only if the caster is high level. Spell protections don't work on Dispel/Remove Magic, except for Spell Immunity which I don't think even gets used by enemies normally.

For combat protections like Stoneskin and Protection from Magical Weapons, just use Breach, but again you can use Dispel/Remove if the caster is high level. The tricky part is certain cheap enemies like Liches that are immune to spell levels 1-5. So Breach won't work. Dispel/Remove bypass just about everything so they'll still work.

edit: Ok, since I'm bored here's a longwinded breakdown on how this poo poo works. Feel free to ignore this unless you really care :words:

You can consider there to be 5 main types of buffs: combat protections, specific protections, spell protections, illusions, and 'miscellaneous effects'.

1. Combat Protections: This is anything that makes it hard to hit someone in physical combat. Like Protection from Magical Weapons gives complete immunity to anything +1 or higher(weapon ineffective message), Stoneskin makes it so that physical attacks do no damage until they are removed, etc. Breach will remove all of these effects at once. Dispel/Remove Magic can remove them, but might not work based on level difference.

2. Specific Protections: Basically what it sounds like, anything that protects against a specific thing. Protecion from Acid, Resist Fear, etc. Breach will remove all of these effects at once. Dispel/Remove Magic can remove them, but might not work based on level difference.

3. Spell Protections: Anything that directly blocks spells and stops them from working(spell ineffective message). Spell Deflection blocks, Spell Turning reflects, Spell Trap absorbs, etc. Most only work on single target spells, though some can stop area effect spells as well. The go to spell for removing these is the level 7 Mage spell Ruby Ray of Reversal, as it's the lowest level spell that can remove any spell protection. There are plenty of other options, however. Just remember that you probably don't need to dispel these at all unless you are going to be using single target offensive spells on someone.

4. Illusions: Self explanatory, stuff like Mirror Image or Invisibility. True Sight will dispel all of these at once. There are some lesser versions like Oracle and Detect Illusion that are less effective at it. Dispel/Remove Magic can remove them, but might not work based on level difference. You can also use the Thief ability Detect Illusions, it's pretty useful.

5. 'Miscellaneous effects': Any buff that doesn't fall into one of the previous categories, basically. Stuff like Regeneration and Haste. These can be removed by Dispel/Remove Magic.

So in summary:

Group 1: Use Breach/Dispel/Remove
Group 2: Use Breach/Dispel/Remove
Group 3: Ruby Ray is the most reliable option here
Group 4: Use True Sight/Thief Detect Illusions/Dispel/Remove
Group 5: Use Dispel/Remove

^This is why Inquisitors are overpowered and Remove Magic is even more overpowered in a solo game where the level difference works in your favor. It removes all buffs except for spell protections in a single casting from all targets in the area. Also it doesn't require targeting so Improved Invis/Shadow Door don't matter and you can even use it against enemies you can't see at all since you can just target the ground nearby and make them appear. Not to mention it bypasses spell level immunity so will work on things like Liches and Rakshasa that are permanently immune to Breach. And yet it's a level three spell :v:

Selane fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 27, 2013

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Like others have said, the only real rules of ironman are to not reload. If you have archives you can check out the last ironman thread I was talking about over here. Honestly I'll probably be stealing most of the OP from the last thread. However, I don't have the Enhanced Edition of either games, so if someone wanted to provide me with the relevant information for EE I'd update the post accordingly.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Anyone got a solution for Hexxat being perma-fatigued? like literally four seconds after the party rests she announces she needs to visit dragomirs respite and she gets the fatigued debuff again.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Well my half orc berserker ironman game is over just as quickly as it began. Silke hit me with 30 damage worth of magic missiles in one shot.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

MrTheDevious posted:

Not that mage battles right now are all that hard, honestly. My PC's a F/M who memorizes nothing except self buffs, breach type stuff, and a couple area disables.
What armor are you using for your PC by the way? For my solo FMC PC, I've currently managed to get an AC of -8 with a 19 Dex, the Robe of Vecna, Bracers of Armor 3, Ring of Gaxx, Ring of Protection +2 Cloak of the Sewers and Defender of Easthaven. Swapping the robe, bracers and ring of protection for the Red Dragon Scale gives a better AC and frees up 2 equipment slots, but it also means one can't cast arcane spells.

MrTheDevious posted:

Keldorn just obliterated Viconia out of nowhere 30 minutes into a dungeon that doesn't allow you to leave or save the game :suicide:
Time to recruit Anomen. Look at the bright side; you can have Anomen use Turn Undead without turning Keldorn. Not to mention I think it's easier to have a turn ability that gibs undead instead of controlling them since you don't have to kill them manually (and if a controlled undead dies to a monster you get no XP so using them as minions costs XP.)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

cheesetriangles posted:

Well my half orc berserker ironman game is over just as quickly as it began. Silke hit me with 30 damage worth of magic missiles in one shot.

Magic Missiles tops out at 25, I thought? 1d4+1 per missile, 5 missiles at lvl 9.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

sebzilla posted:

Magic Missiles tops out at 25, I thought? 1d4+1 per missile, 5 missiles at lvl 9.
He must have used a higher difficulty. Insane doubles the damage dealt to you.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Factor_VIII posted:

What armor are you using for your PC by the way? For my solo FMC PC, I've currently managed to get an AC of -8 with a 19 Dex, the Robe of Vecna, Bracers of Armor 3, Ring of Gaxx, Ring of Protection +2 Cloak of the Sewers and Defender of Easthaven. Swapping the robe, bracers and ring of protection for the Red Dragon Scale gives a better AC and frees up 2 equipment slots, but it also means one can't cast arcane spells.

Time to recruit Anomen. Look at the bright side; you can have Anomen use Turn Undead without turning Keldorn. Not to mention I think it's easier to have a turn ability that gibs undead instead of controlling them since you don't have to kill them manually (and if a controlled undead dies to a monster you get no XP so using them as minions costs XP.)

Ha I'm super cheesing it. I scout everything, then when I see something nasty coming, I dump all my PC's buffs in a big pile at once, then slap on full plate +1 and treat him as a mega-buffed fighter. I'm using Flail of Ages and a bitchin' long sword that lifesteals, the dex bracers, ring of prot, crapass helmet, crapass necklace, boots of speed, sewer cloak, and crapass belt. By blowing every spell I have buffing myself, I'm getting around -5 to -6 at level 9/10 F/M plus all the fancy spell protections.

Robe's still too pricy for me and this is my first time through the game, so I dunno where all the good poo poo is yet. Him, Keldorn, Edwin, Hexxat (Gotta replace), Rasaad (currently totally worthless and leeching experience while complaining about being worthless), and Viconia (now spread across half a dungeon, gotta replace) were doing pretty drat well though up until poo poo all hit the fan at once :smith:

I had Anomen for a little bit but I hated him and liked Viconia in BG1. Picked up Aerie and I think Keldorn is cruising for an appearance on How To Catch A Predator with her, so I might just stick with her. I miss Viconia :saddowns: Keldorn's lucky his rear end is so goddamn useful in nearly every encounter.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
She has a Minor Sequencer in SCS, that could do it. Silke is a huge pain in SCS, even bigger if that Sequencer has damage spells in it.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

MrTheDevious posted:

Ha I'm super cheesing it. I scout everything, then when I see something nasty coming, I dump all my PC's buffs in a big pile at once, then slap on full plate +1 and treat him as a mega-buffed fighter.
That's what I did for all of BG1 and most of chapters 1 and 2 of BG2. Be sure to use Draw Upon Holy Might while you still have it as a Bhaalspawn ability. My character has 20 cleric levels and can get 25 across all physical stats (which have a base of 19) thanks to it.

Aerie can serve as a cleric as well if you dislike Anomen.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Factor_VIII posted:

That's what I did for all of BG1 and most of chapters 1 and 2 of BG2. Be sure to use Draw Upon Holy Might while you still have it as a Bhaalspawn ability. My character has 20 cleric levels and can get 25 across all physical stats (which have a base of 19) thanks to it.

Only problem with doing this as a basic Cleric is that you have one attack. So you can get 25 across the board with your bullshit ultra scummed character who also happened to get all the books... on one attack per round...

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Unless you're running Boon of Lathander and have been Improved Hasted by your pet mage (or some swanky gauntlets).

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Factor_VIII posted:

Yeah I tore some scripting out of some creepy romance mod and built my own AI from it instead, so now I just mash a couple hotkeys and mass group/self buff. I was going insane manually casting 30 drat buffs for everything bigger than a wolf. It drops all my wiz stuff and also that glorious DuHM, can't imagine playing this game without it anymore.

Went with Aerie instead of Anomen just to watch the creepy pedo dialog (plus Anomen is irritating), but I really really miss Viconia talking poo poo to Keldorn constantly then getting scared and taking it all back when he prepares to shove his sword up her rear end :( Thinking about just console commanding her back in because I'm really not enjoying this nearly as much.

Very minor Hexxat spoiler question for somebody who's done more of her questline than I have, I just finished the first tomb part: So now she's a stupid vampire and way cooler, but her stats are loving AWFUL now from that cloak. Do her later quests improve that any, or am I just stuck either replacing her or dealing with a steaming pile of poo poo the rest of the game?

^^^ I can't get anywhere close to 25 in any of my stats, but I can get the important ones pretty high and I get 3 attacks/round already without just hacking all my poo poo to 19 to start (I did Google all the books in BG1) :smugdog:

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
As long as she isn't in an outdoor area you can take the stat draining item in question off her and you get a thief with massive stats.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Oh poo poo that's awesome, she stays for sure now. She just gave me the bag with the other cool thing in it and I was pretty drat happy at just that. The minute I finish this run, I'm starting BG2 over as the most evil loving party possible. I think I might dual class her since she's got ridic stats and is fine at all the thief stuff I care about already

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008

Factor_VIII posted:

Replace the Bracers and just use the Spirit armour buff, it matches full plate (AC 1) so 4 better than Vecna and 2 better than the Bracers, it also improves your magic saving throws and lasts 10 minutes.

You should be able to get an effective AC decently lower than -20 using your other short-term buffs.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

jBrereton posted:

Only problem with doing this as a basic Cleric is that you have one attack. So you can get 25 across the board with your bullshit ultra scummed character who also happened to get all the books... on one attack per round...
Oh yeah, I agree. I'm soloing as a Fighter/Mage/Cleric though, which means I get plenty of attacks thanks to dual wielding, weapon specialization and extra Fighter attacks. (And in higher levels there's Improved Whirlwind Attack.) And that's on top of all the Cleric and Mage buffs. Draw Upon Holy Might, Mirror Image, Stoneskin, Improved Invisibility (and as needed Remove Fear, Freedom of Movement, Negative Plane Protection, Chaotic Commands, etc) make for a real engine of destruction. The fact I can cast Sanctuary and fully heal and rebuff in the middle of combat if something goes wrong is really good, since Sanctuary isn't affected by casting spells on yourself like Invisibility is. Add to that the fact that the Robe of Vecna and Amulet of Power applies to all spells, meaning that casting Heal in the middle of battle is instantaneous.

Drowning In Terror posted:

You should be able to get an effective AC decently lower than -20 using your other short-term buffs.
Thanks for the tip. And I imagine that I could drop my AC even further with more buffs. Though that would take more prep time to cast them all, and even at the Insane difficulty my character is steamrolling everything in vanilla BG2.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

If we're being honest then by the time you hit Throne of Bhaal AC will have ceased being any sort of factor as a stat. When Yaga Shura swings he's going to hit you whether you're buck-rear end naked or buffed to the gills. At that point things that grant physical resistance become even more valuable, which is why Armor of Faith and the -skin spells are so essential.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Armour of Faith, Hardiness, Defender of Easthaven. Come at me, (half-)bro.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Took a head start on that Ironman challenge. Starts off a bit ominous, as Shank actually scores a hit on me before I even have the chance to take a swing at him. Well, no biggie. I finish Candlekeep, pick up Imoen, Xzar and Montaron. I stick to the road, avoid all wolf spawns and head straight for Friendly Arm Inn MOTHERFUCKER YOU'VE BEEN WAYLAID BY ENEMIES, BETTER DEFEND YO rear end

Yeah, bandits.

I live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

sebzilla posted:

Armour of Faith, Hardiness, Defender of Easthaven. Come at me, (half-)bro.
Do all of those stack?

Throw in Mirror Image, Stoneskin and Protection from Magical Weapons for added frustration to your enemy. I wonder if attacks negated from Protection from Magical Weapons count against Stoneskin.