Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Wolverine, definitely, but Storm's growing role waaaaay overshadowed Rouge. Holy poo poo Storm was bad in those movies. Especially the toad scene in the first one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qrLqCOPQng
Ugh. And then Halle Berry kept getting her role expanded and she never really got any better, either.

I've heard third-hand that not only that a case of awful line delivery, but it was apparently the punchline of an otherwise cut running thing of Toad having lines throughout of "Do you know what happens when a toad does X" before doing X thing, which makes the whole "The same thing as everything else" a payoff to an extremely obnoxious character tic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

The X-Men films are just misnamed. They're The Tepid Adventures of Wolverine and Rogue. The rest of the cast (aside from Xavier and Magneto, I guess) are pretty much irrelevant except to pick up comic book cred.
Last time I watched X-Men I thought it was a really really good take on comic superheroes in real life right until the exact point Cyclops and Storm showed up in costumes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

hyperhazard posted:

Bill Nighy. :allears:

Speaking of, I saw the trailer for I, Frankenstein , and even though I know everything about it it will be terrible, I'm mostly annoyed by the title. It's from Aaron Eckhart's point of view, but he's Frankenstein's monster, not Dr. Frankenstein. So technically it should be I, Frankenstein's Monster.

That's a nitpick that always irritates me. The monster is Frankenstein Senior's son, so of course he has the last name.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Choco1980 posted:

I've heard third-hand that not only that a case of awful line delivery, but it was apparently the punchline of an otherwise cut running thing of Toad having lines throughout of "Do you know what happens when a toad does X" before doing X thing, which makes the whole "The same thing as everything else" a payoff to an extremely obnoxious character tic.

Also Halle Berry didn't realise it was meant to be a joke. For which she can be forgiven, because it wasn't funny anyway.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

RyokoTK posted:

I know that. You would think that Wolverine, the guy with a metal laced skeleton, would probably not try to engage him directly.

Magneto is the primary antagonist in X-Men 1 through 3, and I'm pretty sure every film has a scene of Wolverine charging straight at him and getting stopped effortlessly. Character arc, what's that?

But they beat Magneto in the third movie by doing that sooooo...

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Tunicate posted:

That's a nitpick that always irritates me. The monster is Frankenstein Senior's son, so of course he has the last name.

Well he is Adam Frankenstein, so calling him Frankenstein works.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Tunicate posted:

Ok, I'll give you that. Jut because it helps me sleep better at night. :colbert:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

KoB posted:

The worst part is that the culprit always admits it instead of just keeping quiet and getting off with insufficient evidence.

Or how when first confronted with the crime, they never say,
"Nope, I didn't do it. I'd like a lawyer please."

It's always,
"Well...you can't PROVE it." :smug:

Uhh...that's basically a confession.

Edit: Oh...beaten, that'll teach me to not refresh before posting.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Cyclops dying offscreen is one of my bigger irritating moments in X-men. Nothing is worse than a sequel that has to do something hackneyed and obvious due to being unable to get an actor back.

Actually the entire third movie is my irritation with X-men.

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's always,
"Well...you can't PROVE it." :smug:

I swear this happens in every other episode of Law and Order, except most of the time it's the defense lawyer smugly saying it.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Well it would be a pretty annoying program if they just went "Well we'll see you in court" and then you had to watch 30 hours of legal proceedings to get the pay off.

Or a really successful one.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Well it would be a pretty annoying program if they just went "Well we'll see you in court" and then you had to watch 30 hours of legal proceedings to get the pay off.

Or a really successful one.

If you pay attention to the dates on the title cards in Law & Order, you'll notice that during the courtroom sections time does actually advance in huge swaths. Like it will go a month between two sequential scenes.

So it's basically assumed all the boring parts of lawyering happened In between.

The Duke of Ben
Jul 12, 2005
Listen, if you're not going to tell me how the entire world economic, political, and social order can be completely replaced in every detail, then I think maybe you should consider that this is the best of all possible worlds.

Check and mate.

Blast Fantasto posted:

If you pay attention to the dates on the title cards in Law & Order, you'll notice that during the courtroom sections time does actually advance in huge swaths. Like it will go a month between two sequential scenes.

So it's basically assumed all the boring parts of lawyering happened In between.

I enjoyed Homicide for the way that at the end of the day, there were always a bunch more murders that were still unsolved. There usually wasn't some big payoff smug win with a one-liner thrown in, but that continuous grind of a day to day stressful job.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

One of the many things I love about The Wire is that they'll often have really solid evidence against a criminal, but they have a high-priced enough lawyer that they end up walking on most of the charges because the States Attorney is so overworked that they'll take any kind of deal that gets SOME prison time and allow them to move onto the next case.

In the first season, they end up arresting the kingpin of a drugs organization that makes millions and kills with impunity. They have an eyewitness, hundreds of hours of wiretaps, financial paperwork coming out the rear end etc.... and the kingpin ends up getting 7 years and serving barely 2 before getting out on parole. <- Season One spoilers.

Jerusalem has a new favorite as of 07:35 on Nov 29, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The Duke of Ben posted:

I enjoyed Homicide for the way that at the end of the day, there were always a bunch more murders that were still unsolved. There usually wasn't some big payoff smug win with a one-liner thrown in, but that continuous grind of a day to day stressful job.

Also they showed the lawyer character was just as hardworking and overwhelmed as they are. It was still weird to see Željko Ivanek as a decent guy since I am so used to seeing him as a shithead in other things.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

One of the many things I love about The Wire is the massive spoilers I post in other threads so I can ruin the experiences of others. Suck it, nerds.

Use spoiler tags next time.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

LeJackal posted:

It finished over five years ago. Anyone who wanted to see it spoiler-free has had plenty of opportunity by now.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jerusalem posted:

One of the many things I love about The Wire is that they'll often have really solid evidence against a criminal, but they have a high-priced enough lawyer that they end up walking on most of the charges because the States Attorney is so overworked that they'll take any kind of deal that gets SOME prison time and allow them to move onto the next case.

In the first season, they end up arresting the kingpin of a drugs organization that makes millions and kills with impunity. They have an eyewitness, hundreds of hours of wiretaps, financial paperwork coming out the rear end etc.... and the kingpin ends up getting 7 years and serving barely 2 before getting out on parole.

One could easily argue that Levy is the most despicable character in the show and the guy hasn't touched a gun in his life. It's really frustrating. I look at someone like Wee Bey and he's this terrifying guy but at least he has a code, twisted as they may be. Levy doesn't care about anything except money. And I think at one point McNulty points out that Levy is pretty much invincible and no one will go after him.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 09:10 on Nov 28, 2013

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Jerusalem posted:

the kingpin ends up getting 7 years and serving barely 2 before getting out on parole.
I always liked the epilogue at the end of the Dragnet movie (with Tom Hanks and Dan Aykroyd) where it says that the main villain was convicted of various crimes and is sentenced to "43 consecutive 99-year sentences, which makes him eligible for parole in seven years."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LeJackal posted:

Hey dude, I'm sorry I spoiled you, I know it bugs me a lot when it happens to me. The show has been over for half a decade now so I basically didn't even think that anybody who wanted to watch it wouldn't have done so by now, but I can imagine how annoying it must have been to come into a thread that is supposed to be about movies and get spoilers for the first season of a television show. I hope it doesn't put you off watching, there is still a ton more to the show and the events that occur are probably only half as important as the characterization and exploration of themes that the show does so well.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Watching the Alien collection on BR and seeing certain scenes over and over has revealed something that I think'll bug me more than it should:

So, the chestburster. Hell, I'll even show an image of a really fancy model. How the gently caress is a flat-faced, flesh-foreheaded thing getting through a sternum? The drat thing is designed to prevent stuff from the Outside to getting to the Soft Bits inside, and while I'm not a doctor, I figure the same bone prevents a Soft Bit from getting out.

This shouldn't bug me, but it kinda is :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Like this, but with aliens.

edit: Serious answer: Who knows.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Acid blood, or something. Worst heartburn you'll ever have.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
If the AvP games are a reliable source, the chestburster chews its way past the bone of the sternum, then forcibly rams itself through the soft, squishy tissue beyond. Apparently they have the bitey-tongue already at that stage.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Watching the Alien collection on BR and seeing certain scenes over and over has revealed something that I think'll bug me more than it should:

So, the chestburster. Hell, I'll even show an image of a really fancy model. How the gently caress is a flat-faced, flesh-foreheaded thing getting through a sternum? The drat thing is designed to prevent stuff from the Outside to getting to the Soft Bits inside, and while I'm not a doctor, I figure the same bone prevents a Soft Bit from getting out.

This shouldn't bug me, but it kinda is :(

Eggs are designed to keep the outside world from getting inside and smushing the baby chick, but the baby chick can easily pierce its way through. The ribcage has pretty good compressive strength, but that doesn't mean it has to have....un-compressive strength. Rupture strength. Explosion strength. Something like that

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Malachite_Dragon posted:

If the AvP games are a reliable source, the chestburster chews its way past the bone of the sternum, then forcibly rams itself through the soft, squishy tissue beyond. Apparently they have the bitey-tongue already at that stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g79LLNFG40

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011
In Fight Club in one of the fight scenes, maybe the one where Jack beats the face off of Angel Face(I think that's the one), I am convinced that David Allen Grier is standing in the yelling crowd. He's toward the back, but I'm pretty sure its him and I'm pretty sure you can hear his voice in there somewhere.

Its only for a split second, and I'm not even sure if its him, but holy poo poo does it irritate me.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Huh, some of those examples work, kinda, to reduce my annoyance!

I have another example of an irritating moment, but with a twist: the moment became irritating because of a third party.

There's a scene in Catching Fire where the main character, played by Jennifer Lawrence, has put a spigot into a tree. She's looking up at it, eagerly, waiting for the water to come out, which she eagerly consumed.

The problem? I saw this movie with my roommate, who has known me long enough to know that while I can dish out dirty jokes, I can't take them. The fact that I have a bit of a crush on Jennifer Lawrence didn't help.

So during that scene, my roommate leans over and whispers something along the lines of "Pretty hot, eh?". After a second of confusion, I got the joke. The end, right?

Nope! I took someone to see the movie last night (since they didn't have any family around), and sure enough, my brain decided to see that scene in that context. My normal brain knows its not like that, but the Crude Male Brain can't help but make that joke. And it annoys the hell out of me.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Just thought of another one. When television shows do cliffhanger endings at the climax of an episode, only for the cliffhanger to fail to pay off at the start of the next episode. This creates a situation where the scene is ONLY tense because of where the episode ends. Earlier series of 24 did this a lot and it's pissing me off because I can't think of any specific examples, but it will be something like this.

Character A pulls a gun on their best friend - Character B.
"I've been waiting to do this a long time..."
Intense staring, bassy music, credits.
At the start of the next episode you get a 'previously on' that shows the same scene again and rolls into...
"Here, you know I could never shoot these things," Character B hands the gun to Character A. "Now let's go get that son of a bitch."

It's obvious how writers use this to create tension, and its not inherently bad writing I guess, but it really irks me.

The Duke of Ben
Jul 12, 2005
Listen, if you're not going to tell me how the entire world economic, political, and social order can be completely replaced in every detail, then I think maybe you should consider that this is the best of all possible worlds.

Check and mate.

Captain_Indigo posted:

Just thought of another one. When television shows do cliffhanger endings at the climax of an episode, only for the cliffhanger to fail to pay off at the start of the next episode. This creates a situation where the scene is ONLY tense because of where the episode ends. Earlier series of 24 did this a lot and it's pissing me off because I can't think of any specific examples, but it will be something like this.

At the start of the next episode you get a 'previously on' that shows the same scene again and rolls into...
"Here, you know I could never shoot these things," Character B hands the gun to Character A. "Now let's go get that son of a bitch."

It's obvious how writers use this to create tension, and its not inherently bad writing I guess, but it really irks me.

I couldn't keep watching 24 for that reason. The "need" to have each episode end with a tense climax meant that a lot of episodes had things happen which would have ruined Jack Bauer's career, or worse. Instead, an episode or two later, he's okay with whoever he beat up, disobeyed, or whatever else to an hour or two before, their time.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Jerusalem posted:

Hey dude, I'm sorry I spoiled you, I know it bugs me a lot when it happens to me. The show has been over for half a decade now so I basically didn't even think that anybody who wanted to watch it wouldn't have done so by now, but I can imagine how annoying it must have been to come into a thread that is supposed to be about movies and get spoilers for the first season of a television show. I hope it doesn't put you off watching, there is still a ton more to the show and the events that occur are probably only half as important as the characterization and exploration of themes that the show does so well.

speaking of the wire, that scene with Avon & Daniels in s2 is so weird, it's way outside the norm of the show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMjWuEi_zwI

No spoilers in the clip really.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Captain_Indigo posted:

Wait, this actually happened in 24? That sounds like something out of Goosebumps.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Sailor Viy posted:

Wait, this actually happened in 24? That sounds like something out of Goosebumps.

Yeah I was going big Goosebumps here. "She felt a cold hand grab her shoulder" END CHAPTER

It was her brother. They talk about dinner.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

MJBuddy posted:

Yeah I was going big Goosebumps here. "She felt a cold hand grab her shoulder" END CHAPTER

It was her brother. They talk about dinner.

Best goosebumps one was in the book where the guy gets brain switched with a bee. The chapter ends with him getting bit in half by a bigger bug. then the next chapter starts with him admitting it didn't happen and he only imagined it.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Most appropriate comment/avatar combo I've seen in a while.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiHvu4RfNNw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bszMsPl-EHY

These videos about the Goosebumps TV show are pretty much the funniest way I can get across to you that that poo poo was just nuts sometimes. I used to LOVE Goosebumps when I was younger, but looking back on the books and the show now, man was it retarded!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

CJacobs posted:

These videos about the Goosebumps TV show are pretty much the funniest way I can get across to you that that poo poo was just nuts sometimes. I used to LOVE Goosebumps when I was younger, but looking back on the books and the show now, man was it retarded!

was it goosebumps where like there was a cursed uh lighthouse and this one kid had to finish any sentence with like "with(out?) my pants". i remember some kind of supernatural show like that

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010

Carthag posted:

was it goosebumps where like there was a cursed uh lighthouse and this one kid had to finish any sentence with like "with(out?) my pants". i remember some kind of supernatural show like that

That was Round the Twist.

Episode here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul9JseIEEyI

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

hyperhazard posted:

Bill Nighy. :allears:

Speaking of, I saw the trailer for I, Frankenstein , and even though I know everything about it it will be terrible, I'm mostly annoyed by the title. It's from Aaron Eckhart's point of view, but he's Frankenstein's monster, not Dr. Frankenstein. So technically it should be I, Frankenstein's Monster.

Maybe it's meant to be deep, like, the invention becomes the inventor. Or maybe they just went with the title because it's about gargoyles fighting demons and who the gently caress cares.

The supernatural elements are what really bother me about that movie, because Frankenstein is science-fiction, not fantasy. Yeah, now we know that shocking a dead body won't revive it, but back in the 1810s people didn't know everything that electricity can and can't do. Mary Shelley wrote at a time when galvanism was scientifically postulated, so it counts as science fiction. If Frankenstein waved a magic wand over Adam or bound a demon into Adam's body, then Frankenstein would be a fantasy and I'd be okay with throwing gargoyles and poo poo into the mix, but I think it's inappropriate to put magic elements into what's been well established as scifi.

EDIT: 'Course, my English major boyfriend would respond to my complaint by reminding me of death of the author and how context doesn't matter when analyzing a text, but I was a history major and I'm ALL ABOUT CONTEXT. :colbert:

Pththya-lyi has a new favorite as of 11:56 on Nov 30, 2013

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Death of the Author is one essay and my irrational irritation is that it gets thrown around every time you want to call an author on an opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
It's not really an adaptation of Frankenstein is it? I thought it was just "this character in an action movie," like Van Helsing or something.

Plus, the life-by-electricity thing is from the movies. In the book, it's some vaguely described process involving alchemy. So to me the better question is not "is the source material science fiction or fantasy," since that's imposing modern-day genres on something from a time before they existed, but rather "does this movie look like a big bunch of bullshit"

• Locked thread