Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
Them grinders are totally at work right now. I've done every mission once and have done the two repeatables enough times to get every reward, and... I'm #96. Grind away, fellas, I only want Hawkguy anyway!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Wow, I think I hit the token lottery. I just did a couple of those red iso events, and I got a heroic token and a couple of standard tokens for event rewards. Red Ragnarok and Purple Classic Magneto. These guys are ridiculous, even at one cover. They come standard at 2k health and Ragnarok's Red is cheaper than Iron Man's and does more damage. They hit for ridiculous amounts. I'm not sure how on earth they're supposed to be balanced in the same game as some of the others.

Hey, is the starter Hawkeye any good? I hate him with a passion, but the guest Hawkeyes have been really useful against NPCs countdown tiles.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Phenotype posted:

Wow, I think I hit the token lottery. I just did a couple of those red iso events, and I got a heroic token and a couple of standard tokens for event rewards. Red Ragnarok and Purple Classic Magneto. These guys are ridiculous, even at one cover. They come standard at 2k health and Ragnarok's Red is cheaper than Iron Man's and does more damage. They hit for ridiculous amounts. I'm not sure how on earth they're supposed to be balanced in the same game as some of the others.

Hey, is the starter Hawkeye any good? I hate him with a passion, but the guest Hawkeyes have been really useful against NPCs countdown tiles.

Nope starter hawkeye is utter poo poo. Worst character in the game. And yes your heroic pulls were amazing. Ragnarok is the best hero in the game currently. Even spend the 4875 hero point to max his red is well worth it. And his green isn't too hard to get from lightning rounds.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
Captain America's red and blue skills can only affect countdown tiles at level 5, yes? Not below?

My cap's yellow is five...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I actually went and maxed out a classic Hawkeye after getting tons of his covers. A level 1 Hawkeye works for dropping a critical anywhere you want, and since his damage is so low, he's never in front. He's useful in particular situations like that, but I'll always have better use for that team slot.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

SynthOrange posted:

I actually went and maxed out a classic Hawkeye after getting tons of his covers. A level 1 Hawkeye works for dropping a critical anywhere you want, and since his damage is so low, he's never in front. He's useful in particular situations like that, but I'll always have better use for that team slot.
Yeah, I did the same. To me he comes off as a glorified HAMMER soldier. The grunts with the assault rifles, I mean.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Man, the slacker bracket trick worked absolute wonders with the reinforcements tourney, hit #49 in 20 minutes.

Anyone else find it slightly frustrating that the "2nd tier" tournament rewards are typically kind of pants? Take the red iso, for example - ok, Invisible Woman's skills don't look all that interesting, but hey its only the 2nd 4-star in the entire game so people will go for it. But then for the other 900 odd people, it's.....Hawkeye???

I'm sure it's just symptomatic of the likely reality that the top tier players are primarily whales / dolphins, and then basically the next 800 or so people probably either spend once or nothing at all, but man, some decent covers would be nice for those that can't play down to the wire (tourney's finish at 4am my time).

Then again, I'm pretty sure their DAU is on the up, so perhaps they give no fucks about giving out good covers. Standard covers are a pretty good reflection of that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I am a little confused about the business model they've got. I mean yeah, whales, but there's not much in it for occasional spender. I've put in ten bux at the start for gold which went into a few lotteries and upgrading slots, but past that the gold packs are too expensive at the amounts I need them now and I can get them through contests anyway, and the iso packs are way too low in the amounts. Even the top iso pack at $100 isnt enough to fully level up one dude.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Yeah, their pricing scheme in the store is completely out of sync with the current economy, particularly for anyone that's been playing for more than a week or so. Even when they have occasional deals on, it still seems to represent awful value. The crazy thing is that this is actually one of the few F2P ios games I would actually like to spend cash on, because I've gotten a shitload of fun out of it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's a problem I've seen in a lot of other f2p games, but I've never really given a poo poo about any of them. :v: Good for getting a return at a low level beginner, but little to keep you dropping in a few dollars a week or so. Once you've maxed out a Thor or CStorm, the heroic lottery just looks like a really bad idea.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Fat fingered the 300 gold coin healthpack kit. gently caress.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Yeah they've done a really lousy job of making spending money a reasonable value. Unlike something like PAD where if you roll a nice god during a Godfest you have all the pieces you need to level it into an excellent character, in Marvel you need way too many covers for a lotto based system to make sense to anybody but the whales. I'm sitting on about 20k ISO with a dozen different characters at something like 2/3/2.

Probably their best bet would be to reduce the cost of that last cover or two to max skill a character to a reasonable rate. I'm sure there are a bunch of people sitting on a 4/3/3 of something that'd throw a few bucks to get it up to 5/3/5 or whatever.

Starrett
Mar 22, 2006

Forum Oddity
I don't get these Red Iso Events. I completed all events. The fights are all locked now and i'm in 259th place with people having over double my score! I can't even TRY to catch up. How is that possible?

Wait nevermind I see a green check mark and I can replay it!

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
They're still screwing around with the rubberbanding. Like, earlier I had 0 on both repeatables. It crept up to 1, down to 0, up to 5, down to 1, down to 0. I went out for a couple of hours and the tougher one was up to 19, then 12, now 7 I think.

Translation: check before you hit Fight.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I did all the Red ISO missions and ended up #9 in my bracket, and then 10 minutes later dropped to #27. I used to get 8pts for the Hammer repeatable, now it's down to 5pts. I'm basically just in this for the ISO, tokens, and Captain America progression rewards.

Invisible Woman looks like a terrible gimmicky support character who is definitely not worth 4*. She feels like Bagman to me.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Let's see. For nineteen yellow MAXED, you can create one tile that hides a weak teammate until an opponent busts it on the next turn. Or you can burn fourteen blue and twelve green on what amounts to an inferior Twin Pistols with a touch of Bag-Man mixed in. Who wouldn't want to spend Hero Points leveling that?

Note that one of the non-repeatable missions had Spider-Man Classic Purple as a possible reward today. Maybe future days will have something similarly interesting.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Early today I beat all the red iso missions and beat yelena about10 times. Went to check my rank.... 443 :stare: gently caress that I'm sitting this one out.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Got a yellow classic Spidey from a token. :feelsgood:

What's the best Captain America setup? All the level 5 skill bonuses seem equally good to me.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Shwqa posted:

Early today I beat all the red iso missions and beat yelena about10 times. Went to check my rank.... 443 :stare: gently caress that I'm sitting this one out.

Slacker bracket supremacy.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Happy Bear Suit posted:

What's the best Captain America setup? All the level 5 skill bonuses seem equally good to me.

3/5/5 seems like the ideal to me. At 19 yellow it's unlikely the yellow ability will see much use, and being able to target any tile for the Red/Blue abilities outweighs the 4th yellow tile.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Happy Bear Suit posted:

The consensus seems to be 3/5/5. Both the Red and Blue abilities benefit strongly from going to level 5 because then they can target any tile, including Countdown tiles. Cap's Yellow improves a little going to 5 (4 tiles instead of 3) but with its cost you're not going to use it as much.

Well, at least we agreed.

delfin fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 28, 2013

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
If they ever do a balance pass and reduce some of the massively overpriced abilities like Cap's yellow it'd be pretty badass, kind of like Black Widow Grey's purple and Magneto Now's purple. 19 is just way too high for what it does. At 9 yellow it'd be good but still not likely to see a ton of use over Thor's big hammer.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

12 or 15 would me a more reasonable level. 9 would be nightmarish given how strong his shields are.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Anyone here with a triple digit character? I was disappointed to see my lvl 89 Grey Widow's best tile does less damage than a lvl 85 2-star character. I assume 50 is the highest damage you can get, regardless of stars?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

seravid posted:

Anyone here with a triple digit character? I was disappointed to see my lvl 89 Grey Widow's best tile does less damage than a lvl 85 2-star character. I assume 50 is the highest damage you can get, regardless of stars?

Nope check out the max stats thread on the game forum. 67ish seems to be the highest you can go.

Edit:
Black Widow (Grey Suit)

Sniper Rifle - Green
Damage: 3336 (Skill Level 5)

Pistol - Red
Damage: 741 (Skill Level 5)

Deceptive Tactics - Purple

Colour Damage: 11/12/60/10/67/52

Hit Points: 5075

The link:http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=590

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 28, 2013

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
The highest for each color when maxed:

Red: Iron Man 40 (67)
Yellow: Spider-Man Classic and The Hood (67)
Green: X-Force Wolverine (70)
Blue: Magneto Classic (67)
Purple: Black Widow Grey Suit (67)
Black: Black Widow Grey Suit and The Hood (52), Loki right behind at 51

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Nice, thanks for the link (which isn't in the OP. SynthOrange :argh:)

67 sounds good, now I just need the remaining 4 covers to get there. That or 44,99€ :v:

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
Did you guys know that level 125 im40s in the reinforcements arena has over 16,000 health?

The more you know.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

IM40 isnt that scary as long as he has teammates using up his AP before he does.

Now a max level Ragnarok in Lightning? :cry:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Deep Winter posted:

Did you guys know that level 125 im40s in the reinforcements arena has over 16,000 health?

The more you know.

Yeah the HP pools are rapidly getting rather insane. High level Ragnaroks in lightning rounds are consistantly 20k+. I want to say I saw one at 30k, but I hit skip the moment I see a Rag so I can't be sure.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

seravid posted:

Nice, thanks for the link (which isn't in the OP. SynthOrange :argh:)

67 sounds good, now I just need the remaining 4 covers to get there. That or 44,99€ :v:

To his/her credit they just finished the topic today. Yesterday they only had about 1/3 of the stats.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

IM40 isnt that scary as long as he has teammates using up his AP before he does.

Now a max level Ragnarok in Lightning? :cry:

Yeah lightning have really devolved into if you have ragnarok you win. I just managed to get top 25 in the recent doom tournament putting my dr. Doom at 3/0. I love that dr. Doom description is basically "dr. Doom doesn't have a degree."

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Can't decide when to leave red ISO to start, probably late night tonight hopefully get a fairly slack bracket of people who played a little during thanksgiving and then were busy.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Nice! I just got a Ragnarok (green, but I'll take it!) and a Magneto Classic purple cover from the last lightning round. Now my Ragnarok is 3/2 and level 51. Needs more red covers.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Shwqa posted:

Yeah lightning have really devolved into if you have ragnarok you win. I just managed to get top 25 in the recent doom tournament putting my dr. Doom at 3/0. I love that dr. Doom description is basically "dr. Doom doesn't have a degree."

One of the tricks to Lightning Round is to purposely tank the ones you don't want. Like, I made a point of getting 100 points and stopping in the three preceding Magneto and then got Top 8 in that. I jumped into Doom at the last minute and got Top 100 just now, and this Loki following it is a matchmaking nightmare for me.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

delfin posted:

One of the tricks to Lightning Round is to purposely tank the ones you don't want. Like, I made a point of getting 100 points and stopping in the three preceding Magneto and then got Top 8 in that. I jumped into Doom at the last minute and got Top 100 just now, and this Loki following it is a matchmaking nightmare for me.

What is the slacker bracket you guys keep talking about, and how do I get there? I am going against people with multiple 25-30 heroes and my goal was like, the 325 Heroic token in the Reinforcements tournament. It takes forever to luck into a match I think I have a chance in.

Is there some writeup for hero builds somewhere? I'm not sure whether to get level 4 in Modern Storm's Red ability, but it occurred to me that I'm going to end up asking for Classic Storm's build and everyone else's when I get there. I found out I probably shouldn't level Venom's Purple to 5 because of the cost increase by reading a random forum post - I probably would have said "whoopee" and leveled it without a second thought otherwise.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'll work on one for the OP when I get home.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Huh I lost all my iso. I only had 600 but not being able to buy boost is a pain in the rear end.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Anyone have any hot tips for getting tons of points in PVP events? I just hit ~920 in Reinforcements and the people who don't give single digits in points are few and far between and even if I wanted to grind lowbies out, they could just turn around and beat me for way more points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Put one finger over 'skip', the other finger over your preferred battle area. Press alternating fingers until you have a good match.