Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

If they actually pushed this show onto a network over here, I think it could catch on enough with its target demo. Might even see kits in stores again.
Of course that ship has totally sailed already, though. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

It really is. I wonder if there's any other pen and paper systems well suited to a Gundam RPG where it takes me 6 hours to do the stats on a single mobile suit because I have to calculate the weight, the fuel weight, how much armor is on each limb, how much space all these systems are going to take, and so on.

On the plus side, most things in the OYW are variants of the Zaku and GM so once you have those two down you just modify the rest but it's still complicated as all poo poo.

In the US they would probably do that, but with Transformers and Marvel Super Heroes and Star Wars guys probably.

I did this awhile back:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/2brd80jhmk2a071/Gendum+1.0C+Stats.ods
(Probably not viewable in any decent format online)

For modified SilCORE. A lot simpler system, very deadly.

(Took forever to go through all the various pages to check up stats to get at least a rough idea... never did finish the stats for all the weapons and special rules needed for some of the more "exotic" Zeon gear - "This aquatic mech has how many torpedo/missile/claw tubes?").

I still hold out hope to see the Gyan Krieger in this show :v:

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 26, 2013

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
With all the Plavsky Particles talk, I hope they got full YuGiOh with it. It would be glorious.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's almost guaranteed after this episode to go the Danball Senki route given that Nils mentions how plavsky particles are made using antimatter and the interest the Finnish probable villain has in the sport, along with PPSE's own machinations. By Danball I mean turning gunpla in to weapons, if not making full on mechs using it with the Gunpla winners the pilots and mechanics.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

If the plot does escalate to its logical conclusion then we really are in it for the second coming of G Gundam.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.
I'm perfectly alright with this show turning into G Gundam part 2.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Perhaps the final upgrade can be a Build God Gundam, with a backpack full of extra arms.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The backpack is Fuunsaiki.

Also, the winners for the real life Japanese Gunpla World Cup were recently announced. Was it that awesome as hell Flag? The customized Destiny Impulse? The amazing Z'Gok diorama?

Nah it was just some guy's slightly modded Nu vKa. :geno:

Don't get me wrong, it's really well done. But considering some other dude just finished a much more ambitious Nu vKa, I just can't be as impressed. And that Z'Gok diorama was awesome, totally should have won. :argh:

Oh, and in the junior division a girl won with this CCA diorama. Pretty cool!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Gammatron 64 posted:

It really is. I wonder if there's any other pen and paper systems well suited to a Gundam RPG where it takes me 6 hours to do the stats on a single mobile suit because I have to calculate the weight, the fuel weight, how much armor is on each limb, how much space all these systems are going to take, and so on.

On the plus side, most things in the OYW are variants of the Zaku and GM so once you have those two down you just modify the rest but it's still complicated as all poo poo.

In the US they would probably do that, but with Transformers and Marvel Super Heroes and Star Wars guys probably.

Nope, it would be Gunpla only because PPSE owns the secrets behind utilizing the Plavski Particle and chooses only to make Gunpla with it.

Also expecting anyone to know what a methane hydrate tycoon to be is the most Japan thing ever.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

BlitzBlast posted:

Oh, and in the junior division a girl won with this CCA diorama. Pretty cool!

A 10 year old girl is better at gunpla than I am.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...

Gammatron 64 posted:

A 10 year old girl is better at gunpla than I am.

She just understands the Heart of the Gunpla better.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Don't feel bad, she probably trained at a gunpla dojo from a young age.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Yeah, she kinda looks like a girl version of Mao:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Kid is totally going to grow up to be a crazy art lady and is awesome.

Would be nice if she had a proper role model in the show, I've been watching the older episodes and the treatment of the female characters in ep4 was loving appalling.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eh, I wouldn't go that far. It was a dumb episode but I do like how Reiji didn't mock or shame Kirara for getting into gunpla just because she had to.

And with her showing up again, I'm hopeful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If it was just Kirara it wouldn't be so annoying but so far the show's just been really weird about it. Even characters who can and should know a lot about Gunpla don't seem to. Next episode at least has the potential to make it a bit better but there's a lot of annoying little things the show is doing. They could at least be including random female extras in the random Gunpla battles they're doing but instead they've been universally dudes unless they're plot-bearing.

It's probably not even intentional, they just don't think about it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 28, 2013

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Bimmi posted:

Kid is totally going to grow up to be a crazy art lady and is awesome.

Would be nice if she had a proper role model in the show, I've been watching the older episodes and the treatment of the female characters in ep4 was loving appalling.

I think appalling is going a little far, considering she just wanted a ticket to be famous.

China's not so bad either and the mom's fun. Plus Aila looks extremely competent.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

They could at least be including random female extras in the random Gunpla battles they're doing but instead they've been universally dudes unless they're plot-bearing.
Yeah that's a fair point, but how many normal Gundam shows have had faceless female pilots? If a female pilot exists her death is usually meant to be uber tragic instead of just 'here is a faceless dude the protagonist fought for a bit and then killed.' Not that that excuses it, mind, but it's kind of endemic to the series as a whole.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

Yeah that's a fair point, but how many normal Gundam shows have had faceless female pilots? If a female pilot exists her death is usually meant to be uber tragic instead of just 'here is a faceless dude the protagonist fought for a bit and then killed.' Not that that excuses it, mind, but it's kind of endemic to the series as a whole.

I believe Turn-A had a few, I know SEED had a few, and there's a lot of minor/background characters in various shows. It's not overly common but especially for a show like this that shouldn't really matter. Even just from a "hey kids, buy our toys" perspective you should be pushing everyone who can to buy your stuff so... well, you get more girls like the awesome little girl above.

They're doing a Girl episode next week, which is good because it will at least mean female characters show up onscreen and get to do stuff that isn't coded Cyber Newtype Plot, but it's still annoying that it's being shuffled off to the side. They couldn't exactly have China being a major contributor when she's newer to Gunpla than Reiji and Nils (and presumably not a super-ace talent like they are) but that's also a writing decision they made.

Basically it annoys me only because it is such an incredibly simple problem to solve and makes your product more marketable, so it's mostly just thoughtlessness that makes it an issue rather than anything malicious or misogynistic. It's not deliberate willful poo poo like AGE had.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 28, 2013

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Can someone point me to the episode where China's been anything other than the simpering, timid wannabee girlfriend? Because I haven't seen it yet.

Kirara was an awful character in every respect, don't even try to rationalize that poo poo.

The only female character who's portrayed anything like a real human being is Sei's mom, and even there YES SHE'S GOT BIG TITS ALREADY I loving GET IT.

It's probably dumb of me to get mad at anime for being being rife with sexist bullshit, but Gundam had competent, well-rounded female characters thirty years ago so why is this show so loving regressive?

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 28, 2013

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
This show has a refreshingly low amount of sexism compared to gundam age.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Clever Spambot posted:

This show has a refreshingly low amount of sexism compared to gundam age.

So does reddit.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bimmi posted:

Can someone point me to the episode where China's been anything other than the simpering, timid wannabee girlfriend? Because I haven't seen it yet.

Next episode has Bearguy-san fighting SD Knight Gundam, so wait until then to see if China can recover?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Yeah, I'm hoping the fact that she's going to fight will mean her damp-sponge personality is part of a character arc rather than lazy writing, but there's no reason she couldn't have had an interesting character from the start. It's as if Sunrise was so horrified that SEED attracted a sizable female following they've been doing their best to erase it ever since.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Bimmi posted:

It's as if Sunrise was so horrified that SEED attracted a sizable female following they've been doing their best to erase it ever since.

Girls watch Gundam for girls?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I don't think the female fans that SEED had were super interested in seeing female characters. That is like saying Wing had a lot of female fans because Relena was such a strong roll model.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It isn't a case where it's either/or. People don't watch things only for one thing.

Gundam SEED had a large cast of female characters who got to do things. It also had a large cast of 'hot' (not my usage but whatevs) men engaged in melodramatic soap opera action. Both contributed to its success. You can have one without the other but you also can risk repelling an audience if you make it distinctly unwelcoming to them.

To reverse it: Men will watch shows both for male characters (either likable/power fantasy characters, sympathetic characters, or bland audience insertion characters) and for female characters who they like either as characters or in that oh-so-otaku waifu way. It works both ways. People don't engage in media on only one level unless it's a level they really like.

Admittedly the ratings seem to show that Build Fighter's audience is 20-40 year old men almost exclusively so it probably doesn't matter at this point.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 28, 2013

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
A fair point, but even those shows had female characters who weren't just there to adore the hero, be cartoonishly evil or wave their tits around, i.e. characters who might actually be relatable and positive for girls viewing the show. Nothing of the sort on display in GBF as of yet.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Bimmi posted:

A fair point, but even those shows had female characters who weren't just there to adore the hero, be cartoonishly evil or wave their tits around, i.e. characters who might actually be relatable and positive for girls viewing the show. Nothing of the sort on display in GBF as of yet.

I don't know if Aila can be categorized as completely evil yet. There hasn't been anyone in the show yet that's just completely evil. We'll have to wait on China- she may turn out to be a decent builder/pilot.

I'll withold judgment on the shows treatment of female characters until later.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Bimmi posted:

Kirara was an awful character in every respect, don't even try to rationalize that poo poo.

The only female character who's portrayed anything like a real human being is Sei's mom, and even there YES SHE'S GOT BIG TITS ALREADY I loving GET IT.

It's probably dumb of me to get mad at anime for being being rife with sexist bullshit, but Gundam had competent, well-rounded female characters thirty years ago so why is this show so loving regressive?

I legitimately love the scenes when Sei's mom is just gushing over the fact that Sei is hanging out with a girl and her boy is becoming a man, because that is a totally mom thing to do and I get such a big goofy grin when she does. Sei's mom is the breast.

Erm, I mean, Sei's mom is the chest.

...The best. I meant to say the best. Yeah.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sei's mom is genuinely great most of the time. She is such a mom.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Sei's mom is genuinely great most of the time. She is such a mom.

Sei's mom is probably my 2nd favorite character after the really obvious one who is so awesome he started chilling out in my avatar, but it just kind of dawned on me that this is the first Gundam show in recently memory that has almost an entire cast full of likable characters. There really isn't anyone I find particularly loathsome like a Katz or a Quess or basically anyone in Gundam Wing who isn't Duo, or absolutely everyone in Gundam SEED. Sure, China is kind of a typical lovely, submissive non-character but I don't find her particularly offensive, if anything she is just a complete and total void whom you forget exists when she's not onscreen.

Yeah China is a crap character and not at all progressive but as far as sexism goes, this show is pretty tame, at least relatively.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kirara was pretty bad but she's about it. The worst I can say about other characters is that they were boring and that isn't really the worst problem. There's nobody I just want to go away forever which is a huge step up from... um. Wow. I can't remember the last Gundam show that didn't have a couple characters like that. 0080?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Turn A was pretty decent for me in that way.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Kirara was pretty bad but she's about it. The worst I can say about other characters is that they were boring and that isn't really the worst problem. There's nobody I just want to go away forever which is a huge step up from... um. Wow. I can't remember the last Gundam show that didn't have a couple characters like that. 0080?

You got me there, I forgot about the idol episode. Yeah, that was pretty bad. Starting going into FAKE NERD GIRL territory. Other than that though, it's been fairly tame.

Yeah, 0080 might be the last Gundam show I've seen where there wasn't anyone I wanted to see die in a fire. That was made in... what, 1989?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

You got me there, I forgot about the idol episode. Yeah, that was pretty bad. Starting going into FAKE NERD GIRL territory. Other than that though, it's been fairly tame.

Yeah, 0080 might be the last Gundam show I've seen where there wasn't anyone I wanted to see die in a fire. That was made in... what, 1989?

who'd you hate in G-gundam?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Monaghan posted:

G-Gundam being great in every way is assumed. Like the unspoken "You" at the beginning of an imperative sentence.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Monaghan posted:

Aaahhh, nobody I can think of off the top of my head.

...I-I forgot G Gundam for a second.

...Yeah, I know. It's time to turn in my Gundam fan badge. Oh father, I have sinned.

OH! Oh, wait! There was this little fat kid in one episode who was a shithead and tried to steal the God Gundam. I'll go with that. I totally didn't forget G Gundam there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

Sai Sici's voice made me want to drive hot knives into my ears. The same goes for most of Kappei Yamaguchi's voice roles though. I just can't stand 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'd also like to point out that the poster girl of STRONG FEMALE CHARACTER in Gundam, Haman Karn, is motivated out of revenge for Char spurning her. Also that weird attraction to Judau.

I never found the Kirara episode bad. I actually found it great, inasmuch as Sei and Reiji's reaction to her character weren't "FAKE NERD GIRL" but more of "um, if you don't really enjoy doing this then maybe you shouldn't?" There's the whole using her wiles to wrap guys around her finger but no one made a huge fuss out of it within the show. The lesson of the week was "your motivations for getting into this hobby are screwed up, please reexamine yourself", and not "girls are ruining our beloved hobby!"

• Locked thread