Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Don Lapre posted:

The most likely reason GV is not in hangouts yet is because google is adding things one at a time.

Nah, the reason is that Google has not decided which features of Google Voice they are going to arbitrarily discontinue when they integrate it in to Hangouts.

My money is on the number 9. No phone calls to any phone number with a 9 in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
That Motomaker deal is making me almost, ALMOST, wish I hadn't jumped on the 32gb N5.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
Not sure if this is the right thread.

I just updated my AT&T Galaxy S3 to Android 4.3 and I don't get these new text notifications. It will put up a box that says "Jack Mehoff (3 messages)". If I swipe this box it gets big and then the bottom circle area lights up, and if I swipe that it takes me to the message. Am I doing this wrong? Is there a better way (other than root your phone idiot :jerkbag:)?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Wojtek posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread.

I just updated my AT&T Galaxy S3 to Android 4.3 and I don't get these new text notifications. It will put up a box that says "Jack Mehoff (3 messages)". If I swipe this box it gets big and then the bottom circle area lights up, and if I swipe that it takes me to the message. Am I doing this wrong? Is there a better way (other than root your phone idiot :jerkbag:)?
That's the way it is now since they added lockscreen widgets in TouchWiz. You have to maximize the widget by swiping down, then you're able to tap on the "communication notification" (that is apparently what they call it) to launch the app. It's not intuitive at all and I figured it out by accident after my wife kept asking me about it.

I wish Motorola would make a Note-sized phone.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Anand and Brian of AnandTech wrote an article about some of our favorite things to argue about. I think it would be nice if the OP linked to it.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7543/a-post-about-removable-storage-removable-batteries-and-smartphones

Done.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

api call girl posted:

That Motomaker deal is making me almost, ALMOST, wish I hadn't jumped on the 32gb N5.

Me too. The one thing keeping me on the N5 is the wireless charging. So drat useful. I'm still within the return period on Monday so maybe I'll change my mind before then.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Tunga posted:

How many browser tabs are your crazy people opening on your phone?

Chrome is slow as balls with one tab. I open it and it takes like 15 seconds to load the page I had open last.

Load from the cache that is, it's not actually downloading the current page. I have to refresh and do some more waiting. It's not exactly an agile and sprightly bit of code.

But that said the number of tabs shouldn't matter at all, they're passed off to the cache when memory usage gets too high, it's not like they're all pootling away in the background tearing chunks out of the battery. They're basically bookmarks without the intention of keeping them

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

baka kaba posted:

Chrome is slow as balls with one tab. I open it and it takes like 15 seconds to load the page I had open last.

You are still on a Galaxy Nexus are you not?

Seriously, that phone has not aged well, it's slow as ALL hell compared to anything released in 2013.

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008

lags posted:

I wish there were a hard button on the front of my phone that I could mash that would wake my display instead of having to claw my device when it's sitting on my desk to find the power button. I like the clean front - but that's something I do miss. I wish the power button were not opposite the volume buttons. (Nexus 5)

I don't have a moto x, but I do have a nexus 4 running dynamic notifications. And it's set to wake whenever i pull it from my pocket, but really it's just polling the proximity sensor. When I have a notification and it's sitting on my desk I can just wave my hand over the prox sensor and it wakes the phone.

There must be a way to get the same thing going using Tasker even when I don't have a notification just to turn the screen on, but it looks like for me on the N4, the option isn't available :\

But if I wave my hand over the phone and it doesn't wake up then I obviously don't have any notifications

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

bull3964 posted:

You are still on a Galaxy Nexus are you not?

Seriously, that phone has not aged well, it's slow as ALL hell compared to anything released in 2013.

Yeah but Chrome was always slow. The phone's fine for most things, there's no real reason for a Wordpress blog mobile page to take something like 15 seconds to load from the cache. It just always felt really bloated, obviously throwing processing power at it will help but it shouldn't really be necessary for the most basic activity.

Shame that the old AOSP browser is janky because it's blazing fast in comparison, starting up anyway

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, the GV team is obviously quite concerned with a quality product.

Do they even have a dedicated GV team? I assumed they called it good. When was the last time there were any updates? I stopped using it once hangouts took over talk, because my phone would ring, then gv, then my computer w/ hangouts, then the phone again, THEN voice mail.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

deong posted:

Do they even have a dedicated GV team? I assumed they called it good. When was the last time there were any updates? I stopped using it once hangouts took over talk, because my phone would ring, then gv, then my computer w/ hangouts, then the phone again, THEN voice mail.

No, they probably don't have a dedicated one.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I think this thread has finally convinced me to buy a MAXX over the Note3 I had my heart set on. Its a full $200 cheaper off contract and in addition to the accolades it gets here it just feels nicer to hold. I just don't trust the hollow plasticky feel of the note. I also realized that with the exception of my washing machine I've been let down by every Samsung product I've ever bought. They aren't getting any more of my money.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I just got a notice in the mail for a class action settlement for the LG G2x. That's how bad that phone was.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

bull3964 posted:

That's google then and not the deal through Verizon.

Try clearing data for Play Music as well as uninstalling play store updates and then relaunch it. As soon as you sign into your account, you should be prompted for the deal.

Didn't work :(

It's okay, I still love this phone.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

I just got a notice in the mail for a class action settlement for the LG G2x. That's how bad that phone was.

loving :lol::lol:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

baka kaba posted:

Yeah but Chrome was always slow. The phone's fine for most things, there's no real reason for a Wordpress blog mobile page to take something like 15 seconds to load from the cache. It just always felt really bloated, obviously throwing processing power at it will help but it shouldn't really be necessary for the most basic activity.

Shame that the old AOSP browser is janky because it's blazing fast in comparison, starting up anyway

I had an install of Chrome Beta on mine, and it was noticeably faster. This new MAXX is obscenely better tho.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

$19 per phone, so $57 isn't bad. Not worth having to deal with a G2x for four months but still.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Am I the only person on the planet who never had any problems with a 2X/G2X?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

gariig posted:

Me too. The one thing keeping me on the N5 is the wireless charging. So drat useful. I'm still within the return period on Monday so maybe I'll change my mind before then.

What is the advantage of the Moto X over the N5?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Mu Zeta posted:

It has a suite of enhancements such as active display, driving mode, and the ability to resurrect your ancestors.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Smaller size as well. I've got small hands and can not comfortably use a N5 with one hand vs. the Moto X which I can.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
I'm fed up of the problems with bluetooth with 4.4, is there a simple way to downgrade my Nexus 4 back to 4.3?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Slimchandi posted:

I'm fed up of the problems with bluetooth with 4.4, is there a simple way to downgrade my Nexus 4 back to 4.3?

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

Flash 4.3 directly. You will have a constant notification to update.

Alternatively, you can do a full ROM install of something like CyanogenMod and use a 10.2 build (which is Android 4.3) and just not update it ever.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
Thanks. Some YT video tutorials suggest I would need root or unlocked bootloader, is that right? I hadn't rooted or made any alterations to the phone in 4.3 or 4.4.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Alternatively, you can do a full ROM install of something like CyanogenMod and use a 10.2 build (which is Android 4.3) and just not update it ever.

Cyanogen owns and you should at least try it once for a day or 2 to see everything. I've been hooked for 2 years. So many neat little tweaks.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Slimchandi posted:

Thanks. Some YT video tutorials suggest I would need root or unlocked bootloader, is that right? I hadn't rooted or made any alterations to the phone in 4.3 or 4.4.
The process involves unlocking the bootloader which will wipe your device.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

baka kaba posted:

Chrome is super fast on the Nexus 5 so it is a huge difference upgrading from a GNex. Hell, my keyboard was slow popping up on the GNex. Took me forever to even start writing a tweet.

Also I do a lot of Wikipedia reading on my phone which inevitably means I end up with like 6 tabs of related articles I want to read later. Suck it, haters

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Cyanogen owns and you should at least try it once for a day or 2 to see everything. I've been hooked for 2 years. So many neat little tweaks.

I agree. CM is badass and fairly trivial to install, especially if you have a nexus device. Its definitely worth the time to check it out. The only issue I've ever had with it was a few weeks ago when a nightly update borked the radio and the only solution was to flatten and revert to stock.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

inpheaux posted:

It's totally doable, but not the easiest process ever. Also the process depends heavily on exactly what bootloader and rom are on your phone right now, which could vary depending on how old it is.

It requires:
  • Ability to use the Android SDK (adb & fastboot)
  • Rooting and getting S-OFF
  • Wiping your phone a few times
  • Voiding your warranty
  • Slogging through a bunch of terrible XDA Bullshit
This guide is the one I followed to get the device unlocked, rooted, and install a custom recovery (so you can do full-device backups). Then you need S-OFF, you can get that via revone, or rumrunner on windows, or moonshine (depending on your OS / bootloader version / rom version). (I downgraded to 4.2.2 and used revone.) Then once you've got S-OFF, you can RUU it into a Google Play Edition by fiddling with your Model ID and Cell ID (more info on all that). Then it's a GPe phone and will get future OTA updates.

Welp, I went through all this trouble and finally got my HTC One to be a GPe device. It was actually a big pain in the rear end, I thought I bricked my phone at one point also! Haha, it's cool now though. Kit Kat is really swell and the transparent stuff is really slick.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.
I'm using a Nexus 4 right now, with a Moto X on the way. Once I get my X, I should be able to install the GEL without messing up the stuff like Active Notifications and Touchless Control, right?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Update to Kitkat first, but yeah, you should be able to. I don't know why you'd want to, though. You can get to Google Now by swiping up from the home softkey and you can activate it via voice at any time. I can't think of any other benefit it has.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Speaking of 4.4 on the Moto X, anyone know why the updated dialer isn't included? Thinking about picking one up sometime but this really kind of bugs me since it's on the Nexus 4 and the GPE phones and all...

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I know they're vastly unpopular amongst most goons, and I'm not a huge fan myself, but I'm considering putting a screen protector on my new MAXX when it comes, and was wondering what people have liked/disliked in the past.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

big mean giraffe posted:

I know they're vastly unpopular amongst most goons, and I'm not a huge fan myself, but I'm considering putting a screen protector on my new MAXX when it comes, and was wondering what people have liked/disliked in the past.

I put one on my G2.
I took it off after 2 days.

1) finger prints were way worse.
2) not as smooth to the touch when swiping.
3) even perfectly installed I could see it near the camera cutouts.
4) standard ones seemed to glare in the sun more than just the screen.

All in all. I'd say put one on. If you hate it. Peel it off. Even at retail pricing you're only out 15 bucks unless you buy one of those stupid invisashield rubber things and gently caress those things.

On the flip side. My roommate still has hers on. It don't bother her at all and she chucks her phone Into her purse with keys and poo poo. We both have flip covers but still.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

It's going to be great when Google Voice is integrated and nothing works at all. Then Google will turn off whatever allows my Obi100 to continue functioning, rendering me completely incapable of communication beyond terrible forum posts. My friends will probably be happy, though.

The obi poo poo will stop working in may 2014, already announced.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

The obi poo poo will stop working in may 2014, already announced.

Google needs to buy/clone Obi and create a GV @ Home brand or something. Have everyone want a GV number tied deeply into Google/Hangouts, whatever. I rely on it like no other. Ah well I suppose, one of the best inventions for using actual home telephones with your GV number is dying soon. Not surprised.

It's the future man. Gone too soon :smith:

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Allow me to give you free stuff, or I will stalk you and poison your family.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Nah, the reason is that Google has not decided which features of Google Voice they are going to arbitrarily discontinue when they integrate it in to Hangouts.

My money is on the number 9. No phone calls to any phone number with a 9 in it.

I've been thinking about this and I think you may be wrong. The problem with the number 9 is that it would mean whole area codes with a 9 in it would be essentially blocked. That's why I'm pretty sure it's going to be number 4.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Maker Of Shoes posted:

$150 dollar discount on any off contract Moto X this Monday.

https://plus.google.com/+Motorola/posts/7pBuo1GaxKu
So so so wish it had Qi charging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

EbolaIvory posted:

I put one on my G2.
I took it off after 2 days.

1) finger prints were way worse.
2) not as smooth to the touch when swiping.
3) even perfectly installed I could see it near the camera cutouts.
4) standard ones seemed to glare in the sun more than just the screen.

All in all. I'd say put one on. If you hate it. Peel it off. Even at retail pricing you're only out 15 bucks unless you buy one of those stupid invisashield rubber things and gently caress those things.

On the flip side. My roommate still has hers on. It don't bother her at all and she chucks her phone Into her purse with keys and poo poo. We both have flip covers but still.

Oh I've used them before, I'm more looking for brands or something.

• Locked thread