Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
It was 70 the other day in Seoul and I died and cried. 15 today, much better but getting cold as gently caress. How did Harbin goon survive, i can't imagine Chinese window and door technology is that far ahead of Korea (my curtain ripples in front of a closed 2 year old window.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

DontAskKant posted:

It was 70 the other day in Seoul and I died and cried. 15 today, much better but getting cold as gently caress. How did Harbin goon survive, i can't imagine Chinese window and door technology is that far ahead of Korea (my curtain ripples in front of a closed 2 year old window.)

Public heating. And drafty windows are easy to fix up with about 10 kuai of silicone caulk and some new seals on the trim.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I would buy a shirt that says "Climbed a mountain of knives, dove into a fire ocean" honestly

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Honestly any tshirt that lets this laowai leave a party with two local girls gets my money.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TheBuilder posted:

Honestly any tshirt that lets this laowai leave a party with two local girls gets my money.

Results may vary. Offer not valid within Anhui Province.

B-Rad
Aug 8, 2006
Yeah he kept on insisting on finding a factory that treated workers fairly and all that, so the profit margin isn't huge even on a 30 dollar t-shirt.

The material is as soft as the foreskins of angels, though. They are made in some factory in Tongzhou that pays the workers twice as much as my girlfriend's monthly salary. I think some of your teacher's salaries in Henan might be lower.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

DontAskKant posted:

How did Harbin goon survive, i can't imagine Chinese window and door technology is that far ahead of Korea (my curtain ripples in front of a closed 2 year old window.)

I (the Harbin Goon) wear a ridiculous crazy mask almost every day. Pretty much whenever the AQI is over 100. Which is practically every day.

You will have to forgive the strange angle and clothing. I was going out for the evening.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Stay safe fellow goon, and write some stuff about harbin from time to time.

Arglr bargles twin brother spotted! But then again I get easily confused with peoples faces.

Hey man get WeChat and hang with us or LAN it out

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

How often do most of you guys sport the masks? Moving to China is a possibility for me down the line but I'm not really looking forward to the idea of living in an apocalyptic wasteland where you need a breathing apparatus to go outside.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

How often do most of you guys sport the masks? Moving to China is a possibility for me down the line but I'm not really looking forward to the idea of living in an apocalyptic wasteland where you need a breathing apparatus to go outside.

(This is true for Harbin, which has worse air of late than the rest of China)

In my case, about 5/7 days a week, for between 1-3 hours depending. I've got a mask with a filter that needs changing about every month at this rate. A colleague I have who is a heavy smoker doesn't wear one, stating he "doesn't really notice". Most of the locals don't seem to, unless the days are particularly...smoky smelling. When you don't wear a mask, and blow your nose, your snot will be noticeably grey or black. You'll also feel the need to spit alot, and cough. It took about 3 weeks for my singing voice to recover just from the initial air shock, even with a mask on.

Did I mention you can both see and smell the air pollution? It's like the smell of burnt toast beyond the point of being burnt. Just carbonized ashes roasting.

On the plus side, the mask does keep the wind out of your nose and mouth, and the cold is less biting.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Move to Shenzhen, where the air is very rarely bad enough to need a mask. I've never worn one!

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/design/2013/11/china-keeps-it-classy-designer-smog-filtration-masks/7673/

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Grand fromage, try going to edb hk. Being.a Native English Teacher nets you a housing allowance too!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hong Kong is definitely top of my list, despite the poo poo weather. But there aren't any sorts of real plans at the moment, just thinking about the future. Chengdu seems nice too, and Qingdao. Shanghai was always attractive but all I hear about the food sucking is off-putting with my love of Chinese food.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
The Hong Kong recruiters said I needed more experience, and suggested I work in the mainland first :negative:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'd have four years full time in Korea plus a year and a half part time at my university by the time I'd be looking to move. What kind of experience did the HK recruiters want?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

I'd have four years full time in Korea plus a year and a half part time at my university by the time I'd be looking to move. What kind of experience did the HK recruiters want?
Most of them seemed to want at least 1-2 years teaching minimum, with university degrees and certifications. I was a fresh university graduate/TESL Certificate so no such luck. Sounds like you're fine.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I think the message gets repeated quite a few times in the thread. Recruiters / agents have their own agendas and sometimes it's different from your own. Lots of people come to Hong Kong fresh off the boat and do all sorts of random gigs. Teaching included. Goons don't sell yourselves short. Every city has its group of gently caress ups so if the opportunity is right you can go in and set things right

caberham fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 28, 2013

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't know about HK, but Mainland universities were unnecessarily impressed with my 1 year in Korea. They didn't even know about EPIK, so after I explained it they liked it even more.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
I'm in Shijiazhuang and I never wear a mask. YOLO

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Actually it was looking pretty bad last weekend so I did wear one, then when I got home and checked the AQI it was 898.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

That is some Bane poo poo you're sporting right there.

:nolan:When Harbin is ashes, then you have my permission to die.:nolan:

Looks like your to-do list for tomorrow is:

1. Wake up
2. Die

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
(bane voice) Actually (deep breath) Mao had some good ideas, too.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Grand Fromage posted:

The mask isn't for pollution. Chinese believe that cold air and wind is bad for you so it's more for internal regulation. Kind of goes along with never drinking a cold thing.

Anyway, if there's enough solid waste in your area that you think wearing a mask is helpful..why? Why did you go there?

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Rong posted:

Quality brother. I promise you will have never looked better.

Really, I could use a few quality t shirts at this point. Last time I found anything I liked was at a Volcom store in Indonesia two years ago.

TheBuilder posted:

Honestly any tshirt lets any laowai leave a party with two local girls.

Here, I fixed this for you..

ZombieParts fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Nov 28, 2013

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Shanghai has air you can breathe without a mask and the food ranges from a to z, so pull in here if you can't get to Hong Kong.

Really, what is it people say about the food here?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

They say it's bad and gross and too sweet. Mind you, this is only the local Shanghainese food. They're not talking about how you can probably find most any food you want in Shanghai.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

You can get anything. From 1.50RMB bao zi or 4rmb shao long bao portions or McDonald's or KFC or sushi or overpriced western food or this decent dong bei place around the corner from my place.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Yeah but that's not what people are talking about when they talk about Shanghai food. They're talking about the local cuisine native to the region.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Tom Smykowski posted:

unnecessarily impressed

This is a great little phrase for so many things in Asia.

MeramJert posted:

They say it's bad and gross and too sweet. Mind you, this is only the local Shanghainese food. They're not talking about how you can probably find most any food you want in Shanghai.

Yeah, it's the Shanghainese food. I've always assumed you can get anything you want in Shanghai, but I also always hear from everyone who goes to Shanghai that the food sucks (exception: soup dumplings) and I've never been there so it's not like I have any idea.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Depends on the chef really and person's standard. I'm skeptical of people not liking seafood/some vegetable or dish. My girlfriend grew up near Shanghai and never liked the sweet vinegar spare ribs very much. However when I took her to the four seasons hotel Chinese restaurant, the ribs were phenomenal. The sugar and vinegar balance perfect and the bone is easily separated.

I'm a sushi and Cantonese food snob. Where as other people just like large quantities and sacrilegious toppings like mayonnaise and cream cheese. However I'm easily impressed with Korean and was floored by lots of regular restaurants when I was in Korean. Of course, Andro was an awesome host and mostly picked the famous restaurants and not any average one.

In my eyes, most restaurants serve average food. Which is fine because dining can sometimes be more of a social function than culinary critic one.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
Walked home from the movie theatre last night in all-consuming fog. Got home and couldn't see a thing out the windows. The locals tell me it used to be worse before they started switching from coal to gas for power around here. My little ipad app says Urumqi's AQI was 175.

The pattern I'm seeing is the stuff drifts off or whatever by morning and the rebuilds throughout the day. My sinuses are all out of whack, but I don't even know if I've caught a cold or what.

In summary, yay pollution!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
If you're new here, you probably have a cold. Wait until you know you're clear and the air pollution is bad so you can really get a feel for how it affects you.

For me: not much until it gets into the 200s. I start thinking about wearing a mask over 150 if I'm going to ride my bike or spend a long time outside. But I grew up in a valley full of forest fires in summer and wood stoves in winter.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

caberham posted:

Depends on the chef really and person's standard. I'm skeptical of people not liking seafood/some vegetable or dish. My girlfriend grew up near Shanghai and never liked the sweet vinegar spare ribs very much. However when I took her to the four seasons hotel Chinese restaurant, the ribs were phenomenal. The sugar and vinegar balance perfect and the bone is easily separated.

I'm a sushi and Cantonese food snob. Where as other people just like large quantities and sacrilegious toppings like mayonnaise and cream cheese. However I'm easily impressed with Korean and was floored by lots of regular restaurants when I was in Korean. Of course, Andro was an awesome host and mostly picked the famous restaurants and not any average one.

In my eyes, most restaurants serve average food. Which is fine because dining can sometimes be more of a social function than culinary critic one.

I sort of agree about Korean food. I always liked Korean restaurants anyway, but when I actually went to Korea I was impressed by how everything was pretty good. I didn't have anything that really blew me away, like I sometimes get from Chinese food, but on the other hand I didn't really dislike anything. Even the crappy factory cafeteria I ate lunch at was pretty good overall. A million times better than the cafeteria in my office building, which sometimes serves dishes that I usually like but there they literally taste like dirt. Seriously, the seaweed and duck blood they serve in my office building taste like they were marinated in mud, and a while back over a hundred people suddenly got severe food poisoning. One of my coworkers lost like 25 pounds in 2 weeks because of it.

I guess what I'm saying is Korean food seemed more consistently good, but didn't get as high or low as food in China can get.

e: Actually, thinking about it more, the live octopus dropped into some sort of Korean hotpot was pretty great. Best octopus I've ever had, and I'm a cephalopod fanatic.

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 28, 2013

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
My girlfriend took me to a "korean" restaurant and I was treated to the worst kimchi I'd ever had. I hope next time we go to an actual korean restaurant with korean writing on the sign and the menus and such, rather than an imitation korean restaurant.

Are weird chinese versions of "ethnic" or "cultural" theme restaurants a big thing here? Like, can I get Franco-Chinese or something?

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

caberham posted:

I honestly don't much care about food anywhere I go. I've had a few things in China that I really liked (roast duck is admittedly amazing and there's a type of specialty noodle here in Yuyao that I love), but for the most part I'm just not interested. Trying new foods has generally always been lackluster for me because they inevitably disappoint or just seem bland, even when I know they shouldn't.

Obviously this has a lot to do with a frigged up palate in some way. I did read a pretty interesting article the other day that linked the development of this kind of apathy toward food with low socioeconomic status during childhood. Poor people tend to eat a lot crappy food, and consequently, when they get older, they tend to have pretty limited tastes. My family was poor as hell and Cheerios were as frequently dinner food as they were breakfast, so I wonder.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Ceciltron posted:

My girlfriend took me to a "korean" restaurant and I was treated to the worst kimchi I'd ever had. I hope next time we go to an actual korean restaurant with korean writing on the sign and the menus and such, rather than an imitation korean restaurant.

Are weird chinese versions of "ethnic" or "cultural" theme restaurants a big thing here? Like, can I get Franco-Chinese or something?

I've been to a French restaurant here that was clearly sinified.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I wonder if it's always better when you don't have it. I loved every bit of food I ate in China but lovely food is absolutely one of the top things I hate in Korea. I mean obviously there's great stuff but most restaurants are a pile of corn syrup and gross.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Ceciltron posted:

Hong Kong has tons of sinified foreign cuisine restaurants. It's pretty hilarious (and usually bad).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I thought you said 'seinfeld foreign cuisine restaurants" so nevermind.