Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Don't forget they have to add learning sick dancing skills to save the rec center defeat shadows in a dance off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

ImpAtom posted:

Man, I would not blame any of the P4 guys for being sick of this poo poo. How many times did they think things were solved and WHOOPS, NEW BULLSHIT INCOMING, between P4 itself, the Golden additions, and now P4 Arena.

They truly are the reincarnation of Scooby-Doo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Poonerman posted:

Marie being Scrappy Doo would explain so much.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Poonerman posted:

Honestly it would be hilarious (and amazing) if the series went in this direction.

"It was Mr. Morooka all along!"

Actually this is probably what the animation should have been.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

SEGA President talks about buying Atlus. The short of it: Atlus will keep on being Atlus, doing their JRPG thing. SEGA likes that Atlus is so successful in North America and are totally open to Atlus using some of their (SEGA's) dormant IPs (although he says they're not like, gonna force Atlus to use them or anything).

Everything's gonna be alright, y'all.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 28, 2013

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

TurnipFritter posted:

SEGA President talks about buying Atlus. The short of it: Atlus will keep on being Atlus, doing their JRPG thing. SEGA likes that Atlus is so successful in North America and are totally open to Atlus using some of their dormant IPs (although he says they're not like, gonna force Atlus to use them or anything).

So I'm guessing the dormant IPs are Sakura Wars, Skies of Arcadia, Panzer Dragoon, and Shenmue.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Gonna go look for sailors in Persona 5. And collect capsule toys of all the personas.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

TurnipFritter posted:

SEGA President talks about buying Atlus. The short of it: Atlus will keep on being Atlus, doing their JRPG thing. SEGA likes that Atlus is so successful in North America and are totally open to Atlus using some of their dormant IPs (although he says they're not like, gonna force Atlus to use them or anything).

I read this as Atlus's dormant IPs at first and am now once again disappointed by the continued absence of Trauma Center.

TurnipFritter posted:

Oh, sorry, my bad.

It's cool, man.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 28, 2013

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

The Taint Reaper posted:

So I'm guessing the dormant IPs are Sakura Wars, Skies of Arcadia, Panzer Dragoon, and Shenmue.

If it means getting a social link with Gilder then I'm all for it :swoon:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Strange Quark posted:

I read this as Atlus's dormant IPs at first and am now once again disappointed by the continued absence of Trauma Center.

Oh, sorry, my bad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jesus Christ, Atlus doing a Sakura Taisen game would be amazing.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

The Taint Reaper posted:

Panzer Dragoon isn't dead, it's a shambling empty husk propelled by Kinect and microtransactions.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

TurnipFritter posted:

SEGA President talks about buying Atlus. The short of it: Atlus will keep on being Atlus, doing their JRPG thing. SEGA likes that Atlus is so successful in North America and are totally open to Atlus using some of their (SEGA's) dormant IPs (although he says they're not like, gonna force Atlus to use them or anything).

Coulda been worse :gbsmith:

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

The Taint Reaper posted:

Wow that sounds awesome. SEGA and Atlus seem like a pretty good fit.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

404GoonNotFound posted:

Panzer Dragoon isn't dead, it's a shambling empty husk propelled by Kinect and microtransactions.

That game is a mere pretender to the throne.

Even more so than The Pern game for the Dreamcast.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yu Suzuki and Sony's Mark Cerny have been talking a lot about Shenmue 3, maybe this is some crazy wheels-in-motion stuff going on.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Still no announcement of when SMT IV is getting an Australian release. Considering that you can preorder it from most major game retailers, that's getting a little ridiculous.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah I could see this working really well. Much better than a goddamn browser game that's for sure.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Policenaut posted:

Yu Suzuki and Sony's Mark Cerny have been talking a lot about Shenmue 3, maybe this is some crazy wheels-in-motion stuff going on.

If we get Shenmue 3 before Half Life 2:Episode 3 That Steam Box has some explaining to do.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Please don't get my hopes up.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Hellioning posted:

Please don't get my hopes up.

It's a license to print money. That poo poo is still popular over there, it's bound to happen.

Also it's not Sakura Taisen, even the OG Sega Saturn CD spine says "Sakura Wars" in English. Sakura Taisen is what the English Anime Companies called it because they wanted that awful mix of English with Japanese words to sound unique.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 28, 2013

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Strange Quark posted:

I doin't think Trauma Centre has been dead quite long enough to be considered dormant.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

The Taint Reaper posted:

Don't tease me.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Don't tease me.

Valkiria Chronicles hasn't been dead long enough to count as dormant.

It's either one or the other.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pureauthor posted:

I doin't think Trauma Centre has been dead quite long enough to be considered dormant.

Maybe not, but the longest between entries hasn't ever been more a little over two years, and Trauma Team didn't get stunning numbers and wasn't even released in Europe.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Strange Quark posted:

Maybe not, but the longest between entries hasn't ever been more a little over two years, and Trauma Team didn't get stunning numbers and wasn't even released in Europe.

Everybody in Trauma Team yelled at each other and saved lives.

So much so the next game needs a giant robot to fix things instead of just having people. Because shouting like that is only reserved for giant robots.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

I think that one of the few things that kept me from going bonkers while playing Project x Zone (and while I think she's a pretty boss voice actress, I sincerely hope Yukari Tamura never plays thay game's main character in anything ever again) was the soundtrack that played when certain characters were on their turn. When both the Sakura Taisen teams got to move, their respective leitmotifs always put a goofy smile on my face. Also: Holy poo poo, Chisa Yokoyama is in her mid forties and can still bring the hotblooded, plucky lady voice like someone half her age. :3:

What I'm saying is that I, too, would be all over a Sakura Taisen by Atlus.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

404GoonNotFound posted:

Yeah not even the creator of Panzer Dragoon could make a new one at this point.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah not even the creator of Panzer Dragoon could make a new one at this point.

This is why you make Panzer Dragoon Saga II.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The Taint Reaper posted:

While it's not exactly a dormant IP, part of me is still wishing for a proper Phantasy Star V after all these years, even knowing that it'll never happen.

I'm the guy who replays Phantasy Star IV once a year, so...

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I would be totally okay with an Atlus-developed Skies of Arcadia 2.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 28, 2013

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I'd be okay with Atlus just running the entire company and SEGA just sitting around the office writing their checks.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Delsaber posted:

I'm the guy who replays Phantasy Star IV once a year, so...

You're good people. PS4 is an amazing game.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I would be all the way down with Atlus making Skies of Arcadia or Valkyria Chronicles sequels. Hell, if they insist on the dumb-as-gently caress school setting that VC2 had (I guess that was in 3 too, but that never came out here), Atlus would at least probably be able to pull it off a lot better than Sega did themselves.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Grozz Nuy posted:

Hell, if they insist on the dumb-as-gently caress school setting that VC2 had (I guess that was in 3 too, but that never came out here)

Nah, it wasn't. Three had you as a member of a squad of convicts that got sent on suicide missions because nobody cares about you. It was anime as hell all the same, but still.

3 was a much better game, and should have come out over here. (There's a patch in the works, fortunately.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A suicide squad is actually a pretty interesting premise, and from what I could tell in PXZ they were still anime as gently caress but at least vaguely able to be taken seriously.

VC2 was like someone had just yelled SCHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLS halfway through them making a normal-rear end game, and the result is bizarre. VC1 was anime WW2, but VC2 was like japanese high school but in war time and in the equivalent of the '40s.

EDIT: Also, Sega franchises that haven't had a a proper new game in about 8 years.

quote:

Sakura Wars (Last proper new game was in 2005, 5 just got a wii port and a US release in 2010ish)
Jet Set Radio (2003)
Panzer Dragoon (2002)
Space Channel 5 (2003)
Alex Kidd (1990)
Clockwork Knight (1995)
Dragon Force (1998)
Streets of Rage (1994)
Shenmue (2003)
Virtua Cop (2003)
Fighting Vipers (1996)
Space Harrier (2000)
Ecco the Dolphin (2000)
The Rumble Fish (2005)

So basically, look forward to Clockwork Knight 3.

Also, play Dragon Force, it rules.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Nov 28, 2013

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The best summation of how VC2 treated its subject matter was that at one point the students went to their lockers and opened them and you could see fully-functional anti-tank missile launchers inside.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Pureauthor posted:

The best summation of how VC2 treated its subject matter was that at one point the students went to their lockers and opened them and you could see fully-functional anti-tank missile launchers inside.

So it takes place in America?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I feel Valkyria Chronicles 2's main problem was that it focused too much on the 'school' part of 'military school'. I have a higher tolerance then most when it comes to anime, but even I had to get annoyed at how it felt like they were trying to shove every anime cliche into at least one character. Creepy stalker? Incest-but-not-really? Crossdressing? All of this and more!

I mean, 1 and 3 had ridiculous characters, but I at least felt they were MILITARY. (Even the pacifist chick from 1). The militia from 1 and 3 felt more professional then the actual army members from 2, and that just bothered me to no end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Testekill posted:

Still no announcement of when SMT IV is getting an Australian release. Considering that you can preorder it from most major game retailers, that's getting a little ridiculous.

Don't worry, it's not just Australia. Europe still has an incredibly nebulous "probably sometime in 2014, we guess" release date from most places it can be pre-ordered too. :sigh: