Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tony Montana posted:

That Odo guy's 'turn into anything' ability is a bit lovely though. Data was at least an android and robot mens being hardcore is always welcome to a scifi nerd, but Odo is like magic and you can see how you can just write plot from it whenever you need to.

Peter David wrote a pretty good* DS9 novel called "The Siege" about a shapeshifter serial killer coming to DS9, wreaking havoc and fighting Odo, in fact it was the first original DS9 book ever. That should get the changeling ex machina out of your system.

*Take that assessment in context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Do not worry Odo being a shapeshifter is really not important to the series to all. It is something that they should have taken out.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

bobkatt013 posted:

Do not worry Odo being a shapeshifter is really not important to the series to all. It is something that they should have taken out.

:psyduck: what!?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

There is no way that lets say his people are going to be important to the series. Him being a shapeshifter is just them trying to make a Data like character.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

CPColin posted:

Move Along Home?

Clearly the episode where Sisko builds a clock.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The shittiest plot twist was when Odo got sick and turned into black goo after being shot back through time by the Prophets.

Poor Tasha. She never knew what hit her. :sigh:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

bobkatt013 posted:

There is no way that lets say his people are going to be important to the series. Him being a shapeshifter is just them trying to make a Data like character.

:doh: welp I'm too used to reading other people's bad opinions here

and my own :ssh:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Duet you pathetic targs.

Followed closely by that board game episode you (we) all love.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

Tony Montana posted:

I don't know who Gerrold is, without going and hitting up Memory Alpha, but I get the point that it's not all Gene. It's got Gene and only Gene's name on the front, but shall I guess this is a recurring theme (Gene taking credit for other peoples work)?

You have to admit though, this is a strikingly succinct, intelligent and insightful manual of how to create good scifi television. Just the bit about how you should use the litmus test of if the action would fly on a real battleship's bridge hit me so hard - that's whats so loving great about lots of TOS and the TOS movies, that WW2 movie feeling of battleship action (watch Sink the Bismark! if you haven't seen it people, it's quite amazingly good for how old it is, you'll see lots of paralells).

I just am quite amazed how it's a lot of whyTOSowns.pdf

Do you think JJ actually read this thing, or was aware of it?

If you go find Gerrold's book The World of Star Trek it's clear who wrote some of the most influential parts of that bible.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
I'm going to assume it was Gene who put in the bit about "the female need to be needed" in Riker's more detailed description part of the bible.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Guys, it was a different time. Heterosexuality was all the rage in the 60's and 70's.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I love how there's very little description of the men but every single woman gets "her very feminine figure" stashed somewhere in their blurbs. Oh, Gene :allears:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Teri Hatcher's character:

Memory Alpha posted:

The script for "The Outrageous Okona" describes her as "the very feminine and graciously endowed Transporter Commander B.G. Robinson. Everything she has two of are perfectly matched, coordinated, and move with a wonderful grace that is called 'woman.'" It goes onto say she always displays a "very professional manner."

:swoon:

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Apollodorus posted:

Teri Hatcher's character:

Memory Alpha posted:

The script for "The Outrageous Okona" describes her as "the very feminine and graciously endowed Transporter Commander B.G. Robinson. Everything she has two of are perfectly matched, coordinated, and move with a wonderful grace that is called 'woman.'" It goes onto say she always displays a "very professional manner."

:swoon:

:gowron:

This is probably one of the creepiest things I've ever read. Creepy and rather unnecessary for the role. It reads like a goddamn fanfic.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

kelvron posted:

:gowron:

This is probably one of the creepiest things I've ever read. Creepy and rather unnecessary for the role. It reads like a goddamn fanfic.

The line between profic and fanfic is much thinner than people like to believe. It all comes from the same creative impulse.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

kelvron posted:

Aw comon, are you that much of a nerd? We were saying it before, Trek has beautiful women throughout it. Gene loved beautiful women. I love beautiful women. We all remember Teri Hatcher from that episode, she was a complete knockout.

The women don't have to be frumpy so you're not intimidated or it maintains some level of 'realism'. It's American TV, American TV is all beautiful people and still is today. Yay for Trek being cool and fun and also pretty consistently hot. Sorry, but I just read you reply as whiteknighting in a bloody Trek thread (we're mostly middle aged males).

Gene probably did take it too far, but I think you also get my point. If we need an extra to hand the Captain a thing, and I see the headshots, this TV. A terrible place where aesthetics trumps all, bloody glad I don't work in it, but I'm going to pick the hottie.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Male Gaze: The Next Generation.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I was really pissed about Alice Eve having such a tidy body in Into the Darkness. She looked like a model or something.. geez!

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Tony Montana posted:

Aw comon, are you that much of a nerd? We were saying it before, Trek has beautiful women throughout it. Gene loved beautiful women. I love beautiful women. We all remember Teri Hatcher from that episode, she was a complete knockout.

The women don't have to be frumpy so you're not intimidated or it maintains some level of 'realism'. It's American TV, American TV is all beautiful people and still is today. Yay for Trek being cool and fun and also pretty consistently hot. Sorry, but I just read you reply as whiteknighting in a bloody Trek thread (we're mostly middle aged males).

Gene probably did take it too far, but I think you also get my point. If we need an extra to hand the Captain a thing, and I see the headshots, this TV. A terrible place where aesthetics trumps all, bloody glad I don't work in it, but I'm going to pick the hottie.

The description just seemed really over the top creepy to me. :shrug:

They could've just said "Attractive woman" without describing her specific attributes and endowments. Maybe I've just been reading too many mock threads recently.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It is a bit detailed, I'll give you that, but don't forget you're reading internal stuff on what they want to the actors to look like.

I assure you for Into the Darkness on the headshots of the other actresses to play Alice Eve's role would have been scribbled 'boobs too small' or 'not HOT enough' and then it all would have been trashed and they moved on.

edit: basically, Hollywood Objectifies Women. News at 11

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Nov 28, 2013

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Tony Montana posted:

(we're mostly middle aged males).

Speak for yourself. I plan to live forever.

And Farecoal is 8

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Yeah, it was the details that weirded me out. Seemed like too much for me. Doesn't help that I've read that poo poo unironically in mock threads.

I'm not disputing that any of that stuff happens, just seemed a bit much to write it down where anybody could get a hold of it. Liability purposes and all that. Then again acting jobs fall under slightly different rules than say, a corporate job.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

kelvron posted:

Yeah, it was the details that weirded me out. Seemed like too much for me. Doesn't help that I've read that poo poo unironically in mock threads.

I'm not disputing that any of that stuff happens, just seemed a bit much to write it down where anybody could get a hold of it. Liability purposes and all that. Then again acting jobs fall under slightly different rules than say, a corporate job.

An I'm sure every one of JJ's casting notes were shredded by an intern bound by a NDA and threatened with Universals (I don't even know the studio that did JJ Trek, and I don't care) lawyers if a word was breathed. It's a different time and you're reading the notes of a dead guy from decades ago.

Trickjaw posted:

Speak for yourself. I plan to live forever.

And Farecoal is 8

He said 'and I saw 2009 in the cinema and I was 15' and I had to do a double-take. Hey, gently caress it, if there is a single youthful person seeing the value in Trek and not dismissing it as fuddy-duddy bullshit, I guess we got a chance.

Heliotropic
Mar 16, 2005

earthbound
Which series is the most similar to Lexx?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Heliotropic posted:

Voyager for painful watchability
DS9 for bondage-wear
TAS for special effects

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
TOS for over the top and camp.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
TNG for sexy android :quagmire:

I just watched Who mourns for Morn and I wondered about the guy under that big loveable rubber face, and I think it's hysterical that the actor was in that episode as the unnamed Bajoran who Quark first plants in Morn's chair during his heartfelt plea that it never be empty.
Great stuff.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
No, that description really is too over the top and gushy. It's also too vague to be useful as a physical description for an internal reference document. If that was what they were going for, it should've read something like: "Height: such and such; Eyes: So and so; Physical proportions: etc." It being Hollywood makes no excuse for it being one of the worst examples of male gaze, just like TOS being something from the 60s and 70s does not excuse it from accusations of sexism and homophobia.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Yeah, it's extremely weird and over the top. "Everything she has two of moves with the grace known as woman" is pretty loving creepy. How do your kidneys move with the grace known as woman?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Yeah, it's extremely weird and over the top. "Everything she has two of moves with the grace known as woman" is pretty loving creepy. How do your kidneys move with the grace known as woman?

I am sure that her two big toes are extremely graceful. :colbert:

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I disagree. I think it's an imaginative way to describe a beautiful woman, beyond 'large tits and long hair'.

"the very feminine and graciously endowed Transporter Commander B.G. Robinson. Everything she has two of are perfectly matched, coordinated, and move with a wonderful grace that is called 'woman.'"

First part says she needs to have a chest. The second part is about being physically perfect, perfect symmetry, skin colour, proportions. This is what we commonly refer to as a model or a woman capable of selling her appearance alone. The last part is about a grace, a certain way a woman can carry herself that will make you notice her every move, and not forget.

We are describing a beautiful woman, not a pretty girl. This takes some specifics to do. That fact it actually goes beyond simply 'long hair and big tits' indicates some thought into what a beautiful woman is, rather than completely a piece of meat.

As for male gaze, I don't think Gene or whoever wrote really cares that they're putting their male, heterosexual view on it. Who is the target market for the show? We need to be able to identify and give our target market what they want. It's not an exercise in feminism or equality - it's network television.

edit: on the other hand, I have no idea who I'm actually talking to and therefore I'll stop now. Is using colourful and striking language, perhaps a bit of hyperbole and insight creepy now? Oh hang on, you're actually taking the two of everything part literally.. haha holy poo poo.. Goons!

Young guy: Everything she has two of are perfectly matched, coordinated, and move with a wonderful grace
Steve Urkel from Family Matters: I bet her kidneys aren't graceful!
*audience laughs*
Young guy: oh Steve!

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 28, 2013

Grope-A-Matic
Nov 16, 2008

sigh... you really suck at hand
to hand combat i wont lie and
this is way more challenging
then i thought it would be. to
teach you hand to hand combat,
alright i will try to teach you
some more hand to hand combat
Geez guys, give Gene a break. He only wrote that because legal nixed "She has to be young and hot and willing to sleep with me."

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

Tony Montana posted:

Sorry, but I just read you reply as whiteknighting in a bloody Trek thread (we're mostly middle aged males).

Hey, watch it. 27 here.

And, if you read Gerrold's The World of Star Trek you'll wonder who, exactly, wrote that description. Gerrold has (had?) a flair for the poetic and eve though it goes off the rails here, sounds a lot like his descriptions of the main TOS cast.

Dammit I have to find my copy of that book again.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
The creepy part is knowing what Gene was thinking about when he...you know

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Also, Teri Hatcher wasn't given screen credit for that role.

I wonder if B.G. Robinson is descended from A.G. Robinson? And if either of them is descended from Andrew G. Robinson?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Apollodorus posted:

Also, Teri Hatcher wasn't given screen credit for that role.

I wonder if B.G. Robinson is descended from A.G. Robinson? And if either of them is descended from Andrew G. Robinson?

Naw, given the pattern they would have to be descended from a Z. G. Robinson.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Tony Montana posted:

You have to admit though, this is a strikingly succinct, intelligent and insightful manual of how to create good scifi television. Just the bit about how you should use the litmus test of if the action would fly on a real battleship's bridge hit me so hard - that's whats so loving great about lots of TOS and the TOS movies, that WW2 movie feeling of battleship action (watch Sink the Bismark! if you haven't seen it people, it's quite amazingly good for how old it is, you'll see lots of paralells).

That sounds more like Nicholas Meyer's version of Trek rather than Roddenberry's. Those classic war movie elements weren't introduced until Wrath Of Khan effectively rebooted the franchise, which was a movie Gene hated for being such a departure from his vision.

From what I've read Roddenberry's own proposed sequel storyline was something about Klingons going back in time and trying to assassinate JFK. That would've been an interesting Trek movie, but it wouldn't have been WoK.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Spock on the grassy knoll. :allears:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Heliotropic posted:

The only way I can think to replicate Lexx without watching Lexx is to chug cough syrup, chase it with hard liquor and try to watch that lovely Kevin Sorbo sci-fi show I can't recall the name of in the ensuing unpleasant delusion.

If done right, all you should be left with is a blur of odd as gently caress and sometimes unpleasent memories, which is all you are left with having watched Lexx. So mission accomplished.

EDIT: In all serious I remember.. things about Lexx.. I cannot remember an entire episode. Not much else to watch at 2AM before streaming media was popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Blazing Ownager posted:

The only way I can think to replicate Lexx without watching Lexx is to chug cough syrup, chase it with hard liquor and try to watch that lovely Kevin Sorbo sci-fi show I can't recall the name of in the ensuing unpleasant delusion.

If done right, all you should be left with is a blur of odd as gently caress and sometimes unpleasent memories, which is all you are left with having watched Lexx. So mission accomplished.

EDIT: In all serious I remember.. things about Lexx.. I cannot remember an entire episode. Not much else to watch at 2AM before streaming media was popular.

That would be Andromeda. It was not very good.

• Locked thread