Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more

VomitOnLino posted:

I usually just stick to my guns, mostly. I've gotten good results that way.
I had a similar example except with clouds, it was a night photo and the light giving car drove away. It was meant to be a 3 minute exposure... I tacked on another 30 seconds (it was raining, I was wet and cold... ) and called it a day. Worked out fine.

For example I also shot some Fomapan 400 and some Tri-x 400 in the same scenario. Whereas Tri-X still gave me a nice image, brightness with Fomapan just dropped off a cliff and there was little useable in the almost transparent neg.

What I'm trying to say with my long-ish rant here is, that shooting film with long exposures is not that scientific. The best way to learn is just to experiment (And probably fail a couple of times, such is life.). Some films are also more forgiving than others. For example Fuji's T64 slide is super forgiving for long exposure stuff, more so than Portra. Which is really weird to me.

Most of the fuji slide has very good reciprocity failure characteristics actually.

Pretty good chart here:
http://tsmalley.com/blog/reciprocity-failure-on-slide-films/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Foma has god awful reciprocity failure so I am not surprised that it didn't do as well as Tri-X. We are talking talking 3 minute exposures becoming 60 or 70 minute exposures with that stock. I can't find a chart for the 400 but here's the 100's compensation table: http://consumptive.org/technical/Fomapan_100_Schwarzchild_Effect.pdf

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sludge Tank posted:

Have a question regarding long exposures and reciprocity;

What do you do if you have started a long exposure from a metered scene (say from 1/125 which ends up being say 4:32 with filters and recip failure taken into account) and then the light changes from a cloud moving over the sun down 1-2 stops halfway through the exposure? What do i do? On some films this changes the time from 4:32 to 20+ minutes. But if i just add on the difference surely it will be over exposed. Any tips as im sure this is a common issue ran into withLE's
Your base time changes with exposure, so yeah if it was 5mn and you lose 2 stops now it's 20.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

evil_bunnY posted:

Your base time changes with exposure, so yeah if it was 5mn and you lose 2 stops now it's 20.

You also need to take into account the amount of time exposed before the light changed. So if the base is now 20 mins and you were half way through a 5 min exposure you only need 10 more mins. Also alway error on the side of overexposure with neg film.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

8th-snype posted:

You also need to take into account the amount of time exposed before the light changed. So if the base is now 20 mins and you were half way through a 5 min exposure you only need 10 more mins. Also alway error on the side of overexposure with neg film.
That's a very good point, which I conveniently overlooked when assuming the light changed before the exposure started.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Daily reminder to get the Reciprocity Timer iPhone app. It kicks rear end.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Kinda sucks until they let you have custom film types

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is there an app like that I can get for my Macbook? I have a piece of crap Nokia phone from like 2004 so I've no way of accessing decent film apps.

Also if anyone knows of one for Macbook that lets you enter manual info for rolls of film (like shot 1 = F/2, 1/100s or whatever) please let me know :) (something easier than just Notepad that is)

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

How do you guys keep the right temperature for C-41 development? Just make a big water bath and put the bottles in it? It's only got to stay at 38 for the 3 minutes it's in the dev, the other steps are more flexible, right?

plannerpirate
Apr 21, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Also if anyone knows of one for Macbook that lets you enter manual info for rolls of film (like shot 1 = F/2, 1/100s or whatever) please let me know :) (something easier than just Notepad that is)

I know it sounds simple, but maybe some kind of spreadsheet with the top row set to stay on the page all the time? At any rate, it's going to be easier than having to manually separate values in notepad. I'll end up doing this (and add some extra things like scanning notes, final filename) when I start scanning film.

You could probably get fancy with databases and a pretty GUI interface bundled into an application, but a formatted spreadsheet is going to be simple solution where you can add extra fields if you want (and not rely on a developer).

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

eggsovereasy posted:

How do you guys keep the right temperature for C-41 development? Just make a big water bath and put the bottles in it? It's only got to stay at 38 for the 3 minutes it's in the dev, the other steps are more flexible, right?

I just use a big deep laundry sink with hot/warm water to get the temps right, and when they settle at 38C I go for it, making sure I push the tank into the warm water between inversions to keep the temp as stable as possible. With a nice big volume of water it's going to take a while before the temp varies larger than the proceeding process steps limits.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

eggsovereasy posted:

If you have the technical skills, the low tech aquarium heaters are usually very hackable but also accurate enough to maintain 38C in conjunction with an aquarium pump to circulate the water.

It has served me well and my own efforts are (two or three drying spot on my first roll aside) neigh indistinguishable from those i got from my lab. Using Rolleis Digibase for that matter, as Apug folks seemed to be of the opinion that bleach and fix steps are best kept separate for max longlivety.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

VomitOnLino posted:

If you have the technical skills, the low tech aquarium heaters are usually very hackable but also accurate enough to maintain 38C in conjunction with an aquarium pump to circulate the water.

I looked at aquarium heaters, but none of them get hot enough. How do you go about modding one?

Spedman posted:

I just use a big deep laundry sink with hot/warm water to get the temps right, and when they settle at 38C I go for it, making sure I push the tank into the warm water between inversions to keep the temp as stable as possible. With a nice big volume of water it's going to take a while before the temp varies larger than the proceeding process steps limits.

I'll probably just end up using this really big pot I have for now.

edit: I just found this: http://www.aquacave.com/300W-Titanium-Heater-withD-58-Controller-by-Won-Brothers-P988.aspx which can get more than hot enough, kind of expensive though.

eggsovereasy fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 27, 2013

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

eggsovereasy posted:

I looked at aquarium heaters, but none of them get hot enough. How do you go about modding one?

If it's a cheaper, regulated one, but not a super cheap one it likely has a "remote" section with a spinning dial, where you can dial in the temperature.

The first thing you can attempt is to take the plastic dial off, usually there are indents molded into the dial or the case that prevent you from spinning it all the way. Remove those. Spin to the hottest temperature you can. Measure. It may already be enough.

If it isn't you need a little bit of electronic skills, basically the dial is connected to a variable resistor that changes resistance as it turns. You can change the range by adding or removing (adding resistors in parallel, remember?) resistance. Do that until the dial spinning range includes your desired temperature range. Done.

I did this for myself and for a friend who had a different heater, his only even required the first "hack", mine required soldering a single resistor and then marking the sweet spot on the dial with a sharpie pen.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I used a bathtub filled with water before (cumbersome if you're doing more than one roll though), but I'm working on making an arduino powered heater, using a relay to control a submersible heater and a waterproof temp probe to measure the water temp (probably with a simple PID loop to keep things stable).

I've got a lot to do before I get that far though.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

That sounds pretty neat though.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Mr. Despair posted:

I used a bathtub filled with water before (cumbersome if you're doing more than one roll though), but I'm working on making an arduino powered heater, using a relay to control a submersible heater and a waterproof temp probe to measure the water temp (probably with a simple PID loop to keep things stable).

I've got a lot to do before I get that far though.

I was actually considering using electric valves to control the temperature mix coming out of the faucet. Once I get a plumber in, the sink will be dedicated for darkroom purposes, so why not make it fancy.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

When I first started colour processing I used one of these setups a friend lent me:
http://www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk/products/946/nova-fp-film-processor

It worked quite well, but a new one is a little over priced.

With all the chat about getting aquarium heaters and modifying them, Nova also do a ready to go temp probe/heater/controller that looks pretty nice and isn't too expensive:
http://www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk/products/785/nova-water-heater-protronic

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I'm guessing since the prices are in GBP that it's all 220V, so you'd need an adapter too. But that's a lot cheaper than a JOBO processor.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Are the Patterson tanks light tight when the rubbery liquid tight cap is not installed? I've always kept the lights off when exchanging fluids for fear of light leaks into the tank.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Mr. Powers posted:

Are the Patterson tanks light tight when the rubbery liquid tight cap is not installed? I've always kept the lights off when exchanging fluids for fear of light leaks into the tank.

Yes they are.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

8th-snype posted:

Yes they are.

I feel dumb.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Better safe (or dumb) than sorry.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Mr. Powers posted:

I feel dumb.

You shoot and develop your own film. You are superior. :smug:

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

ExecuDork posted:

First, that's an awesome find.

Second, are you saying you finished off a partially-exposed roll that had been sitting in the camera for who-knows-how-long? Anything interesting come out of that? Find a second-hand scanner (with light in the lid for film) for $20 or whatever and put that poo poo up, man!

Yipes, this was a while back. Better late than never.

Unfortunately, it was a fresh roll. It seems like someone had loaded it and forgot about it before they put it up for sale. Kind of weird, but I'll take it. Free practice, right?

Since then, I've run two rolls through it, and it performs admirably for a 15 dollar camera. You can't get a lot in photography for 15 bucks. These are a couple shots from it. I'm not great at shooting film, and the iffy Walgreens development doesn't help, but it's a proof of concept.

Pizza King by AmericanScumbag, on Flickr

Narrows by AmericanScumbag, on Flickr

The Catte by AmericanScumbag, on Flickr

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

eggsovereasy posted:

Sous vide heater and pump in the laundry tub. Second thermometer in there too, just to be safe.

Develop film while cooking delicious, delicious trout.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Any tips for shooting Provia 400x in the 120 format? I'm guessing there's not a lot of give so I just have to nail exposure but I've never shot slide film in 120 before or Provia at all.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

eggsovereasy posted:

I have dedicated heaters but with time I've found they bring little to nothing to the table. Just keep the developer inside a basin with hot water (I settled on 50 C) until it reaches the temp you need, then start processing. Keep the tank out of the basin between first and second inversion, then inside the basin between the second and third and so on and so forth.

Everything else can be thrown inside the basin when you put the developer bottle in it and kept there the whole time.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Any tips for shooting Provia 400x in the 120 format? I'm guessing there's not a lot of give so I just have to nail exposure but I've never shot slide film in 120 before or Provia at all.

If it's anything like Provia 100F, avoid contrasty scenes/lighting and err on the side of underexposure. Overcast days are magic.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

voodoorootbeer posted:

Overcast days are magic.

Oh cool, I live in Ireland so it's pretty much overcast 10 months of the year.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Ehh, finally got done with my first roll of Portra and there's kind of this line running across the top of every picture. Did I do something wrong when loading it? Did Costco gently caress up the development? Cloning it out of every picture I took is gonna be a bitch... :suicide:

Edit: Didn't see this problem on the roll of Tri-X I shot, so I don't think it's the camera...

404notfound fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 30, 2013

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

404notfound posted:

Ehh, finally got done with my first roll of Portra and there's kind of this line running across the top of every picture. Did I do something wrong when loading it? Did Costco gently caress up the development? Cloning it out of every picture I took is gonna be a bitch... :suicide:

Edit: Didn't see this problem on the roll of Tri-X I shot, so I don't think it's the camera...

Is it visible on the negatives? If so, they probably hosed development, if not it's bad scans.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
I think the when Costco processes the film, the machine they use imparts that line when it goes through. It's there on a bunch of my shots, but $1.41 processing is too hard to turn down.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

nielsm posted:

Is it visible on the negatives? If so, they probably hosed development, if not it's bad scans.

I don't think I can see it on the negatives. I got both prints and scans, though, and it's in both of those. So maybe whatever machine they use to scan/print is doing it?

Chill Callahan posted:

I think the when Costco processes the film, the machine they use imparts that line when it goes through. It's there on a bunch of my shots, but $1.41 processing is too hard to turn down.

That's kinda balls, but yeah, it's super cheap. $9 total for development + prints + scans. Assuming you already have a membership, of course. And the scans are 3087x2048 jpegs, if anybody was curious.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

404notfound posted:

I don't think I can see it on the negatives. I got both prints and scans, though, and it's in both of those. So maybe whatever machine they use to scan/print is doing it?

Minilab prints today are usually made from scans, so yes it sounds like their scanner might be dirty.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I don't know how those minilab scanners work, but on a flatbed there is a small 'calibration area' and I'll get a line like that if there is some dust in that area. I have to wipe it down then rescan. I guess theirs was dirty.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

70740033 by khyrre, on Flickr

All right, I think I'm on board with this film thing. Time to buy a V600 :retrogames:

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Anyone tried developing HP5+ at 1600? I've got a roll I decided to shoot at 1600 but having loaded it into the tank and pulled out my bottle of Ilfosol 3 I've found that the Massive Dev Chart only has times for 200, 400, 800 and 3200. I'm assuming that somewhere midway between the 13.5 for 800 and the 24.5 for 3200 should be about right but it would be good to be certain.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Holistic Detective posted:

Anyone tried developing HP5+ at 1600? I've got a roll I decided to shoot at 1600 but having loaded it into the tank and pulled out my bottle of Ilfosol 3 I've found that the Massive Dev Chart only has times for 200, 400, 800 and 3200. I'm assuming that somewhere midway between the 13.5 for 800 and the 24.5 for 3200 should be about right but it would be good to be certain.

18-20 minutes will probably work okay, but looking at Ilford's own product pages it doesn't look like Ilfosol 3 is intended to be good for push processing. Consider getting some Microphen for that, one litre of mixed stock should be good for about 10 rolls of film and can keep a month or more if you store it carefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Another Ilford developer to try with pushing is DD-X, I rather like it.