Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

This may seem like a stupid question but I don't know a lot about hardware. How noticeable is difference between the dual core in a 13 and a quad core in a 15?

This is actually a good question in my opinion. I've been wondering this too. I have the base 13" model with the dual core, and i'm pretty happy with the performance, especially after upgrade to 10.9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

This may seem like a stupid question but I don't know a lot about hardware. How noticeable is difference between the dual core in a 13 and a quad core in a 15?

Are you doing poo poo that needs 4 cores? For most tasks they will feel about the same

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Bob Morales posted:

Are you doing poo poo that needs 4 cores? For most tasks they will feel about the same

That's part of the 'don't know poo poo about hardware' comes in. I'd be using it more as a learn tech skills device. Html and sql coding, photo and video editing. I might game a little but nothing too demanind. I imagine the video editing is that only thing that might hang up?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That's part of the 'don't know poo poo about hardware' comes in. I'd be using it more as a learn tech skills device. Html and sql coding, photo and video editing. I might game a little but nothing too demanind. I imagine the video editing is that only thing that might hang up?

Take a look at some benchmarks:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6409/13inch-retina-macbook-pro-review/9

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Thanks, I'm not a professional by any means so I think a difference of a few seconds here and there isn't going to hurt me.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Thanks, I'm not a professional by any means so I think a difference of a few seconds here and there isn't going to hurt me.

What's your day to day usage going to look like?

If you're surfing the web, writing emails in Mail.app/Outlook.app, manipulating your calendar, writing some text in Word, watching some movies, and playing some games you can do just fine with a 13" dual-core. I use a 2013 Macbook Air 11" as my primary computer at home and I play Civ 5 on decent settings, develop software, write emails, watch movies, and so on just fine with it. That sucker has less power than the 13" Macbook Pro so you can probably get away with similar.

Things you might do to warrant a quadcore: mining bitcoins :smug:, using software like Aperture or Blender or Photoshop, running virtual machines (if you don't know what it is, you don't need it).

Note that these days, for gaming on a laptop, the more interesting piece of hardware is the video card.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Wasn't sure if this should land in the Hardware or software thread, but here goes:

I have a newer iMac on a wall mount in my kitchen and despite my greatest intentions never seem to play any of the steam games that I loaded up on in the last sale. I figure because it's not a great location to game and would really want to do some couch gaming. I'm thinking about running a long HDMI from the thunderbolt port with an adapter and USB cable to my living room and plugging the HDMI into my Soundbar (handles all the video switching) and then putting a USB hub on the other end for a keyboard/mouse/Xbox controller in order to play some games on the big screen. On the surface, I can't think of any reason that this wouldn't work, at a minimum in mirrored monitor mode. Would sound travel over the HDMI or would I need to split off the stereo cable I have going to a set of speakers in the kitchen?

Another thing I just considered, I typically boot into Bootcamp to game, I know that this is a Mac thread but can anyone think of any potential issues that could come up from this set up? The only thing that I have white space around is how Windows treats the Thunderbolt port.

Appreciate any feedback, this could be a sweet weekend project!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
There's no reason the iMac wouldn't work exactly like a PC would--they have the same hardware.

Thunderbolt was developed by Intel, not Apple.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

There's no reason the iMac wouldn't work exactly like a PC would--they have the same hardware.

Thunderbolt was developed by Intel, not Apple.

Ah, there goes my ignorance over hardware in the past decade! So audio would travel over the TB/HDMI?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Audio travels over HDMI just like it does in Windows.

Macs literally use the same hardware as PCs.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

Audio travels over HDMI just like it does in Windows.

Macs literally use the same hardware as PCs.

Sweet, thanks! Can't see any reason for my plan to come together then.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have experience with getting hairline hinge cracks on Macbooks replaced out of warranty? I've read people's experiences where Apple simply replaces the part for free and others where they refuse. The nearest Apple store to me is 90 minutes away, so I'd probably have to go to a third party Apple shop. If I can't get it done for free I'm probably just going to use it until I can't use it any more then get one of those sexy new rMBPs.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

TraderStav posted:

Sweet, thanks! Can't see any reason for my plan to come together then.

You might have to set the sound to "output over HDMI" in the system prefs (or possibly menu bar? I'm not sure) but everything should come together fine.

You're not the first person to try this and the results should be great. In fact, Steam (on both Windows and OSX) has a special setting just for this purpose.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

fleshweasel posted:

Anyone have experience with getting hairline hinge cracks on Macbooks replaced out of warranty? I've read people's experiences where Apple simply replaces the part for free and others where they refuse. The nearest Apple store to me is 90 minutes away, so I'd probably have to go to a third party Apple shop. If I can't get it done for free I'm probably just going to use it until I can't use it any more then get one of those sexy new rMBPs.

Right now, Apple still has an open service program for any MacBooks not declared vintage that have cracks on the bezel or hand rest area.

As long as you have a MacBook 13-inch (Late 2007) up to a MacBook 13-inch (Mid-2009) you can get a new top case/keyboard or bezel for free ASFAIK. Any other models and you are SOL.

And in December the Late 2007 models will likely be dumped from the list, so if you have one of those I'd go to the Fruit Stand or AASP stat.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Got my 13" rMBP, and holy poo poo, this thing is nice. This is my first mac, so I'm still learning the OS a bit, but it's been great so far. Is there some kind of a cheat sheet for keyboard shortcuts across the OS though?

edit: I've got the laptop charging right now, and it feels like there are mini static shocks on the palm rest. Is this normal?

Another question. When I tried to press F5 to refresh, it lowered the brightness as if I was using the fn key. Do I need to turn some setting off to switch this?

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 27, 2013

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Aw man! I'm so bummed out. I just got my iMac back from the Apple store. Got the video card replaced out of apple care cause it seemed like the GPU was dying (coloured blocks flashing all over the screen). I just brought it home and plug it in and it's the same issue. Did they not check? Is there a way for me to check if they even changed the video card?

This sucks!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Binary Badger posted:

Right now, Apple still has an open service program for any MacBooks not declared vintage that have cracks on the bezel or hand rest area.

As long as you have a MacBook 13-inch (Late 2007) up to a MacBook 13-inch (Mid-2009) you can get a new top case/keyboard or bezel for free ASFAIK. Any other models and you are SOL.

And in December the Late 2007 models will likely be dumped from the list, so if you have one of those I'd go to the Fruit Stand or AASP stat.

I just called up my nearest AASP, and they told me that if the computer's more than 5 years old, Apple won't do the free replacement (dude quoted me $150). I'd been meaning to replace the topcase on my old 2007 blackbook, and sorta just let it pass. I feel like a bit of a dumbass now.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Binary Badger posted:

I have a mid 2010, the last one they made before they nixed the line. Sounds like the odds look good. I went to my local AASP, they photographed it and they said they'll get back to me about options.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Super Dude posted:

Got my 13" rMBP, and holy poo poo, this thing is nice. This is my first mac, so I'm still learning the OS a bit, but it's been great so far. Is there some kind of a cheat sheet for keyboard shortcuts across the OS though?

edit: I've got the laptop charging right now, and it feels like there are mini static shocks on the palm rest. Is this normal?

Another question. When I tried to press F5 to refresh, it lowered the brightness as if I was using the fn key. Do I need to turn some setting off to switch this?

You could install this program to show shortcuts for apps. http://www.mediaatelier.com/CheatSheet/

Are you charging using just the 2-prong plug? I guess that shock thing happens if you aren't using a grounded plug.

And you can toggle the function key behavior in sys prefs>keyboard.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Super Dude posted:

One tip that I usually give our guys who are new to Mac OS is that if you look through the File, Edit, etc menus at the top of the screen you'll see that there are a bunch of symbols to the right of a lot of the options which correspond to the shortcut key for them. Here's the list of symbols and what they correspond to that I've got up on our wiki at work:
⇪ - Caps lock
⌘ - Command
⌃ - Control
⌫ - Delete (backspace)
⌦ - Delete (forward)
⏏ - Eject
⎋ - Escape
⌥ - Option
⇧ - Shift
␣ - Space

If you're coming from Windows some useful key combos are:
  • Fn+Delete will give you the forward delete behaviour
  • Command (⌘) is generally used in place of Control for shortcuts e.g. ⌘+C is copy, ⌘+V is paste
  • ⌘+arrow keys are the same as Home, End, PageUp, PageDown for most programs
  • Holding down Option (⌥) with a context menu option will often change the commands offered e.g. holding Option with the File menu open will change Duplicate to Save As
  • In Finder, ⌘+Delete will move things to the trash, Return/Enter renames your current focus and ⌘+Up/Down Arrow moves up and down through the filesystem or if you have an application selected, ⌘+Down Arrow will open it
  • I think ⌘+R is refresh in Safari rather than F5 for when you want to :f5:

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

I have a mid 2010, the last one they made before they nixed the line. Sounds like the odds look good. I went to my local AASP, they photographed it and they said they'll get back to me about options.

That replacement program is for the non-unibody white MacBooks. There is no REP for the hinge area of the unibody white MacBooks.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Mercurius posted:

Oh poo poo I love this. Been using macs for like ten years and I never knew! Also only learned Cmd+Delete for move to trash recently. :doh:

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Mercurius posted:

if you have an application selected, ⌘+Down Arrow will open it

I was going to ask if you actually meant cmd+O here, but holy poo poo that worked! :monocle:

There's an app called PresButan that rebinds return to open stuff instead of renaming it, but it's probably not maintained anymore and honestly I'd recommend trying to learn to live with the quirks instead

also, rest in peace ctrl-cmd-opt-8, the best newbie-confusing shortcut ever

edit: can't think of much to add, but:
• Not a standard shortcut, but I like binding ctrl+` to show and hide airmail. It's never taken by anything else ever.
• In web browsers, you probably used alt-D to get to the address bar. It's cmd-L in os x

Mercurius posted:

Command (⌘) is generally used in place of Control for shortcuts e.g. ⌘+C is copy, ⌘+V is paste

On this, notice that there is no cut and paste for files. Better get used to unsafely dragging and dropping poo poo, or alternatively copying them and deleting the original when you're done :v:

In an amazing feat of inconsistency you are still allowed to cut text, however.

My PIN is 4826 fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Nov 28, 2013

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
General keyboard shortcut thing, option is used as a modifier a lot, and if you look through menus there's occasionally stuff hidden as a result. Like if you're in the Finder, click on the File menu and press/release option, you can see a bunch of commands changing.

Apple has a list of shortcuts too:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

A quick search brought up this page, a bit out of date (only up to 10.7) but nicely organized:
http://www.danrodney.com/mac/

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

You might have to set the sound to "output over HDMI" in the system prefs (or possibly menu bar? I'm not sure) but everything should come together fine.

You're not the first person to try this and the results should be great. In fact, Steam (on both Windows and OSX) has a special setting just for this purpose.

Just wanted to chime in and say how well this all worked out. After finally figuring out how to get the screen size adjusted to fit my TV in windows I was on my way. Last strange thing I have to troubleshoot is that if I use a hub and plug in both the Xbox controller and a Bluetooth dongle for a mini keyboard mouse the controller trips out and switches to player two. I unplugged the dongle and was gaming away like mad. Thanks!

I will find a more Windows/Steam centric location to discuss the remaining issue.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind
Are people generally happy with their new Mac Minis? And hidden problems I should be aware of? I'm eyeing one as a replacement for my dead iMac. Seems like a more cost effective bang-for-my-buck than a new iMac.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Do the various Western Digital etc USB powered external drives shut off when not in use? I'd like to leave one hooked up all the time for Time Machine, but not if it's going to be spinning incessantly.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Argali posted:

Are people generally happy with their new Mac Minis? And hidden problems I should be aware of? I'm eyeing one as a replacement for my dead iMac. Seems like a more cost effective bang-for-my-buck than a new iMac.

It's long overdue for an update.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

It's long overdue for an update.

Is it? The latest model is only a year old and the specs are pretty good.

EDit: Nevermind, you're right.

Argali fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 28, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lexicon posted:

Do the various Western Digital etc USB powered external drives shut off when not in use? I'd like to leave one hooked up all the time for Time Machine, but not if it's going to be spinning incessantly.

I have one of their USB3 externals and it goes into a sleep mode after inactivity.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Argali posted:

Is it? The latest model is only a year old and the specs are pretty good.

EDit: Nevermind, you're right.

"Days Since Update 401 (Avg = 381)"

It's just even more likely than normal that something new will drop right after you buy.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mercurius posted:

• Command (⌘) is generally used in place of Control for shortcuts e.g. ⌘+C is copy, ⌘+V is paste
  • ⌘+arrow keys are the same as Home, End, PageUp, PageDown for most programs
  • Holding down Option (⌥) with a context menu option will often change the commands offered e.g. holding Option with the File menu open will change Duplicate to Save As
  • In Finder, ⌘+Delete will move things to the trash, Return/Enter renames your current focus and ⌘+Up/Down Arrow moves up and down through the filesystem or if you have an application selected, ⌘+Down Arrow will open it
  • I think ⌘+R is refresh in Safari rather than F5 for when you want to :f5:

Also option-key will give you special characters instead of Alt+XXXX

eg, ß is option-s, Ó is option-H, etc (there are also different characters if you do shift-option-key as well).

and if you use something with emoji support (like safari 🎃), control-command-space will open that window.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 28, 2013

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Lexicon posted:

I have a shitastic Orico USB 3.0 enclosure along with a Hitachi Travelstar 1 TB I use for backing up a MacBook Late 2009, it always sleeps after 10 minutes if not explicitly accessed, but comes right back up when I access it via Finder or any other app. Pretty sure it's a default part of the USB 3.0 spec.

WDC and Seagate provide utilities with some of their USB 3.0 drives to set sleep time in increments of ten minutes.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

"Days Since Update 401 (Avg = 381)"

It's just even more likely than normal that something new will drop right after you buy.

True, but you never know. Look how long it took them to upgrade the iMac. Either way, I won't be in the market for a while so I'm not stressed about it. Seems the thing most people are speculating about with the new Minis - whenever they arrive - is that they'll probably have all Flash memory.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

IMHO they'll continue to provide SSDs as an option rather than a default. They do currently offer a Fusion drive option for the high end Mini and SSDs for the server edition.

Apple's attitude towards the Mini is pretty much 'whatever we can sweep off the floor is what we'll put in a Mini'

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

empty baggie posted:

That replacement program is for the non-unibody white MacBooks. There is no REP for the hinge area of the unibody white MacBooks.

Binary Badger just said it was through the 2009 models which is the same case design as what I've got. It's unlikely to be worth it to go the nearest Apple Store 90 minutes away to find out for certain, so I'll just have to see what the local AASP wants to do.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

fleshweasel posted:

Binary Badger just said it was through the 2009 models which is the same case design as what I've got. It's unlikely to be worth it to go the nearest Apple Store 90 minutes away to find out for certain, so I'll just have to see what the local AASP wants to do.

There is an REP for hinge cracking on the unibody plastic MacBooks, it is unpublished and Geniuses should not offer the repair unless someone asks. Same thing for cracking near the Ethernet port.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Xabi posted:

For how long do we think 8gb ram is gonna be enough? 2-3-4-5 years?

enough for what? It's already not enough for some people, but for others who don't need to upgrade and are just going to use a browser it will be fine for years.

I would guess 3 years before the OS system requirements make 8 GB sub-standard, but I don't really have anything to base that on beyond my own personal gut feeling.

Supgaiz
Jun 27, 2011

My PIN is 4826 posted:

On this, notice that there is no cut and paste for files. Better get used to unsafely dragging and dropping poo poo, or alternatively copying them and deleting the original when you're done :v:

Cmd+C to copy, then option+cmd+v to move the copied files to the location. Pretty unintuitive but there you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Supgaiz posted:

Cmd+C to copy, then option+cmd+v to move the copied files to the location. Pretty unintuitive but there you go.

wow, thanks! I was completely convinced it didn't exist, because I had even read a lengthy forum thread on some random apple boards where people complained about it, and nobody came up with this... :monocle: