Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elhondo
Sep 20, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I hesitate to mention this, but I don't think the reliance on mumble is helping things. I know for myself, voice comm either conflicts with whatever PUG I'm in or requires a level of attention to the game that I can't always support (need to be able to hear wife, kid, etc). So even though I'm online a lot, I never actually participate in goon things.

So, I hang out in cabal chat, or the LFG channel and lurk in the LoMSGlobal channel (public channel of a group of cabals) to find groups. /awful is so low traffic that I don't bother anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

You can hang in mumble without using the voice comm part of it. Hell, most of the time when I hung out in mumble, I didn't talk, just text chatted.

Most people will usually mention in chat what they say in voice, as well.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

elhondo posted:

I hesitate to mention this, but I don't think the reliance on mumble is helping things. I know for myself, voice comm either conflicts with whatever PUG I'm in or requires a level of attention to the game that I can't always support (need to be able to hear wife, kid, etc). So even though I'm online a lot, I never actually participate in goon things.

So, I hang out in cabal chat, or the LFG channel and lurk in the LoMSGlobal channel (public channel of a group of cabals) to find groups. /awful is so low traffic that I don't bother anymore.

The majority of the people who use mumble right now aren't using voice. Me, Zhaan, Orcane and hugh seldom communicate with voice. /awful has always been low traffic. I don't know why people even bother to use it.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.
So I reinstalled my client (again) in the new directory Funcom support told me to. Game works instead of blackscreening again, but I went to do a pubbie 18 and couldn't see the purple drops from the bosses until I reloaded my ui.

So uh, I guess I'm only doing elite groups with goons if I want any shot with augments. Lost rolls on a purple and four greens yesterday in a pub group.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

elhondo posted:

That might be true but I also don't care. I'm not prepared to change my routine for the sake of hypothetical strangers.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

guppy posted:

That might be true but I also don't care. I'm not prepared to change my routine for the sake of hypothetical strangers.

And here I thought you'd quit.

It's okay, elhondo, I have the thing that autojoins #awful. You're still better off than that one weird person who keeps messaging me with perfect punctuation.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Cheston posted:

And here I thought you'd quit.

It's okay, elhondo, I have the thing that autojoins #awful. You're still better off than that one weird person who keeps messaging me with perfect punctuation.

I did, actually.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

guppy posted:

I did, actually.

But then your routine already excluded logging in! This is some catch-22 poo poo you've brought, now I have to spend Thanksgiving on flowcharts.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cheston posted:

But then your routine already excluded logging in! This is some catch-22 poo poo you've brought, now I have to spend Thanksgiving on flowcharts.

Raiser hops into mumble and bullshits with us from time to time.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Cheston posted:

It will save you from the racist ramblings of a distance relative. You're welcome.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
New highlight pubbie argument:

"The people complaining about lag really should stop complaining & get a better graphics card with more memory.

It's extremely selfish to demand that an event which hundreds of other players enjoy should be shut down, just because you suffer from lag."

Why do I even bother, really.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

New highlight pubbie argument:

"The people complaining about lag really should stop complaining & get a better graphics card with more memory.

It's extremely selfish to demand that an event which hundreds of other players enjoy should be shut down, just because you suffer from lag."

That's not a new argument. They've been saying that since the original lovely golem event that all the pubbies love.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
There are people for whom they aren't massively laggy?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

guppy posted:

The opposite. Some fuckwits are still playing on their Commodore 64s, so they "lag" that bad all the time. Coincidentally, these are the shitlords who can never hit interrupts and/or move out of abilities during boss fights.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

guppy posted:

Me. I quite enjoy the golem events too. And I despise hopping in mumble. I'm the anti-goon goon.

EDIT: although I still think pubbies are retarded, so maybe I'm just anti.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
We're not that bad are we? :(

I got unbanned! And then my 1 month sub went through, and now I have the member claim items for both October and November despite only being subbed for the latter :iiam:

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.

Cleretic posted:

Guidelines to creating events pubbies will froth over

1.) Requires minimal effort, attendance is enough for credit.
2.) Rewards attendance with a bauble.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Marx posted:

3) Have drops in bauble
A) flares
B) clothes
C) pet

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Marx posted:

I wish this were true. Usually to get stuff you have to do some horrible grind.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

Len posted:

3) Have drops in bauble
A) flares
B) clothes
C) pet

I killed two golems and then bought a few bags off the auction house that ended up having all the clothes I wanted (and the Lunar Shem). Event success, I guess?

The doubled AP on the other hand, gave me about 350 AP from an elite group scenario run with the milkshake on, so that was amusing.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

guppy posted:

I quit, and I don't know if I'm coming back for Tokyo.

I'll probably come back for that. The one consistently good thing in this game has been it's writing and the way it doles out plot tidbits, and that's usually good enough for me to put with the other poo poo. :shobon:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Reading Cleretic's thread is depressing as hell. So many idiots spouting "I like it so there's no problem", "get a better computer", "it brings people together so it's awesome" :aaaaa:

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I'm grinding it out for the pet, but fuuuuuuuck this is not fun. The drops are kinda cool but I'm sure there's a better way to do them.

Edit: Oh yeah and making gobs of money (to me) off the green signet bags I open all the time.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Sell everything, buy the bags. I got half the pieces out of bags I bought, doing that by killing golems (as in, hit them then go afk till they're dead) would have taken take ages, considering how many 1-bullion bags and flares I got :argh:

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Remora posted:

I'm grinding it out for the pet, but fuuuuuuuck this is not fun. The drops are kinda cool but I'm sure there's a better way to do them.

Edit: Oh yeah and making gobs of money (to me) off the green signet bags I open all the time.

Sell the signet bags on the AH, and consider buying the golem bags off the AH unless your killing the golems for the AP. Selling the signet bags will usually net you more then what you could sell the random signet for.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I misspoke. I opened the bags from the purple event drops, then sold them unopened.

Edit: And yeah, I kinda need the AP.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Either way I bet signet bags go for more than the 2700 pax you can get for the blue signet of whatever (-threat on crit heals) I got from a bag earlier.

tank is raid leader O.K.
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck you say about the Emperor?

Okay Secret World Goons, help me out here.
I'm interested in playing this game with the Mrs, but some pages back there was a lot of talk about solo instancing. Is this game the kind of thing you can do a two person team run, or is it a bunch of single player quests with the occasional group/co-op quest shoehorned in?
Would be kind of disappointing if the latter.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

dasbrooner posted:

I'm interested in playing this game with the Mrs, but some pages back there was a lot of talk about solo instancing. Is this game the kind of thing you can do a two person team run, or is it a bunch of single player quests with the occasional group/co-op quest shoehorned in?
Overall the amount of solo instances is relatively low (and I think they changed some of them recently and took the solo-instance restriction off - or was that just a label change?). In general, the early zones have the highest density of solo instances for combat, sabotage or investigation missions. The story missions also use solo instances a fair bit.

You usually get out of these instances fairly quickly, so you can play together, do all the mission steps outside together, go into a solo instance each, do your thing inside, get out and rejoin your group. Dungeons/lairs aside, all missions are designed to be soloable but they don't actively restrict group play, except for some "solo instance" interiors.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

dasbrooner posted:

Mostly it's the former. There aren't that many solo instances after the first several. Some of them you can make non-solo by doing a Meet Up too. You'll have to do a bit of key plot stuff solo.

thwoompa
Nov 9, 2004

My fanfiction makes baby Jesus cry

dasbrooner posted:

You can mostly get by fine doing quests with 2 people although you will run into portions of quests which require solo instances(some can be meetup exploited). All this means is each person must be capable of killing a couple of mobs solo, not that big of an issue. The main problem area for this is savage coast, things get better after that.

My first character I leveled as a "healer" with multiple other people in group and every time a solo instance came up I just abandoned the quest and waited for everyone to finish then joined on next quest. Everyone leveling should be using a solo build no matter how many other people you are leveling with. This means you have to do some extra grinding to be able to tank/heal dungeons, get carried or wait till q10 to do elite dungeons.

tank is raid leader O.K.
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck you say about the Emperor?

Ah, cool!

Thanks for the explanation, guys. Sounds like it'll be fine after all. Looking forward to seeing what this game's all about. :getin:

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

If you held onto/didn't claim the Opera Magna (+100% monster kill xp) from the start of the Filth event, you can use it, the Time Accelerator, one of the store's double AP Boosts, and the Weekend double AP boost all together for 12x AP. I got over 700 AP from doing three scenarios.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

Cheston posted:

If you held onto/didn't claim the Opera Magna (+100% monster kill xp) from the start of the Filth event, you can use it, the Time Accelerator, one of the store's double AP Boosts, and the Weekend double AP boost all together for 12x AP. I got over 700 AP from doing three scenarios.

Just the weekend AP boost and the accelerator got me 400+. I attuned like five whole augments. It's pretty silly.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

thwoompa posted:

Everyone leveling should be using a solo build no matter how many other people you are leveling with. This means you have to do some extra grinding to be able to tank/heal dungeons, get carried or wait till q10 to do elite dungeons.
You can solo just fine with a tank build or just with the damage abilities you pick up from going for tank/heal builds. There's zero reason to min-max solo builds while levelling, certainly not for the handful of combat solo instances on the way.

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Service Guarantees Citizenship

Would you like to know more?

ALL HAIL THE NECKBEARD!

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Yes, perfect. 3D Glasses + that loving mask is the optimal combination.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Maybe we should complain about that mask on the forums and guilt Funcom into giving the community the choice of another future subscriber item. Get the pubs back for the horse head bitch fest last summer.

GoodPlatMurray, that's your que to get unbanned and make it happen.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

HughGRect posted:

Maybe we should complain about that mask on the forums and guilt Funcom into giving the community the choice of another future subscriber item. Get the pubs back for the horse head bitch fest last summer.

GoodPlatMurray, that's your que to get unbanned and make it happen.

I dunno I should probably lay low for a hot minute. If you guys can get the vote started I'll make so many parachute accounts to vote with we might be able to get something awesome and horse-compatible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.
How long does it take for veteran points to turn up after you refer a friend? My buddy bought the game and it says active/registered on my invite page, but no points or pending points show up.

• Locked thread