Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Sorry for the double post, but for those of you who use IRC, I've setup a channel (as I couldn't see one, but I may have missed it, be it in the OP or not) for us all to hang out in, and maybe help out some new goons who seem to be taking up the hobby.

irc.synirc.net
#racinggoons

irc://irc.synirc.net/racingGoons

Or, if you don't have an irc program installed, just click this link!
http://mibbit.com/?channel=%23racingGoons&server=irc.synirc.net

I'll be around for a little bit tonight, but its almost 2 am here, so I'll be asleep before long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I played rFactor for years, I just broke my old wheel about 2 years ago and never replaced it. Right now I'm just doing offline test runs to mess around, and I'll do the same for a while after the G27 shows up.

I picked up the SK and Tour modifieds, along with Bristol and Martinsville, once I'm comfortable running offline I'll probably start at the Legends and Street Stocks and take it from there.

So don't worry An Enormous Boner, I won't Forza pubbie you in the first turn.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

I played rFactor for years, I just broke my old wheel about 2 years ago and never replaced it. Right now I'm just doing offline test runs to mess around, and I'll do the same for a while after the G27 shows up.

I picked up the SK and Tour modifieds, along with Bristol and Martinsville, once I'm comfortable running offline I'll probably start at the Legends and Street Stocks and take it from there.

So don't worry An Enormous Boner, I won't Forza pubbie you in the first turn.

I don't even play iRacing -- I just want everyone to have fun with their toys.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I get what you mean though, I hate the guys that learn how to play online in a race, too. I do have some good sim experience, though, so I'm hoping the learning curve won't be too steep.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wanna play iRacing again but don't currently have access to a desk where I can mount my wheel to. :(

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

I get what you mean though, I hate the guys that learn how to play online in a race, too. I do have some good sim experience, though, so I'm hoping the learning curve won't be too steep.

If you've got that much rFactor experience then you'll have no problem at all.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Assetto Corsa, liking it so far.

If you have crossfire and it doesn't seem to be using it wait until the games loads fully and your car is shown spinning around, at that point hit Alt and Enter and it does an odd thing - even though the game is already at full screen it puts it INTO full screen again and crossfire then works.

Also, for any Rift users looking to buy this, yes it does have native support and yes it is broken with no ETA on a fix.
Basically things in your right eye don't get rendered all the time. I have no right arm or steering wheel - it's odd and makes it a crappy experience.

The potential is there no no doubt at all, head tracking works well and it does look amazing apart from the bugs.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

An Enormous Boner posted:

If you've got that much rFactor experience then you'll have no problem at all.

Yeah, I ran a few seasons with the CRO guys, mainly doing dirt oval stuff like the Bandit sprints and Big Block modifieds. Both of which were made by 321 Development, which were a few guys from the CRO community. I was an early tester of those mods before they got released on rFactor Central. Before all that, I cut my teeth on GTR2 and GT Legends way back in the day.

I'm very excited now, I want my wheel here like yesterday, I need to knock the cobwebs off.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah, I ran a few seasons with the CRO guys, mainly doing dirt oval stuff like the Bandit sprints and Big Block modifieds. Both of which were made by 321 Development, which were a few guys from the CRO community. I was an early tester of those mods before they got released on rFactor Central. Before all that, I cut my teeth on GTR2 and GT Legends way back in the day.

I'm very excited now, I want my wheel here like yesterday, I need to knock the cobwebs off.

Oh man. GT Legends.

I got that in a bundle on Steam a ways back and had forgotten about it. I'm going to need to install that tomorrow and see how it holds up. God I loved that game.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

rFactor 2's historics are gold if you liked GPL. I love zipping around Lime Rock in the F3s.

edit: oh GT Legends. oops

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I dunno how many hours I spent in GTL driving the TVR Griffith 400, but it was a lot.

Also, rFactor 2 is out? I haven't really kept up on it, last I knew it was some kind of quasi-release.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
GT Legends, is ok but not great. The physics is terrible and no one plays it. My forza group got it because it was 8 bucks and tried it out one night. We were the only people online.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Yeah, it's almost a decade old at this point, and sims tend not to age well IMO. There are a few that have, but sims rely on physics and graphics much more than your average game. After a few years the stuff starts looking and playing ugly.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

Also, rFactor 2 is out? I haven't really kept up on it, last I knew it was some kind of quasi-release.

Yep, it's been out (well, first in beta and then "gold") and regularly patched for a year now. Take a look at their forums and here. I think it's the current best contender for new technology/modding content. Hopefully Niels makes some cars for it, but I think he's still in love with the old rF tire model. The new one is apparently complicated and difficult to work with.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Sweet, definitely gonna scoop that up. iRacing is gonna be my focus since a bunch of the SAS racing thread guys have it, but one can never have too many sims :colbert:

Plus the mod community always brings the wacky stuff, and that's what iRacing lacks.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Mazda Miata previews for Assetto Corsa

Looks like the mod content is already being previewed. Looks like a well modelled MX5 to me. Hopefully the physics will match up.

(Please someone make a Porsche mod with 924s, 944s2 & Turbo, 930, 964 and 993 911s... )

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

GT Legends, is ok but not great. The physics is terrible and no one plays it. My forza group got it because it was 8 bucks and tried it out one night. We were the only people online.

Physics aren't that bad IMO. Just stock rfactor, right? Dated, probably, but I'm still enjoying GTR 2 and GT Legends (although I only got into this stuff this year)

For multi, I assume all the people who like old gmotor games are playing rfactor with mods.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
iRacing is definitely my main sim right now. I'm putting most of my time into it because the racing is so good. I was doing pCARS for a while, but now they are focusing on car interiors or something and I haven't noticed many changes in the actual game. Assetto Corsa is a good way to kill a few minutes though.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

The thing about iRacing is that it blows everything else out of the water in terms of multiplayer structuring. It could be a lot shittier to drive and people would still be playing it, even if it was still expensive. They really figured out the "make a racing sim that actually has easy to access racing in it" formula. :haw:

I haven't played rF2 multi in a while but it was a nightmare to jump on a public server. I think they're doing a thing now where they run some servers with only ISI stock content (which is fine, their content is mostly great so far) to help get some pick-up races going. I wonder if trying to join a server with custom content is still so awful....

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I grew up playing Gran Turismo, but this is my first jump into PC racing. I'm thinking rF2 might be a better step for now but wanted to see what I could expect when I jump into iRacing

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Drunk Badger posted:

I grew up playing Gran Turismo, but this is my first jump into PC racing. I'm thinking rF2 might be a better step for now but wanted to see what I could expect when I jump into iRacing

When I was first getting into PC racing, the last thing I wanted was a sim where I had to pay to access individual cars and tracks. I wanted to drive as many different ones as possible.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Drunk Badger posted:

iRacing is good, but your access to content (multiplayer at least) is tied to your license class, which is tied to your Safety Rating (SR). SR is determined by corners per incident at the end of a race, qualifying or time trial. It takes into account all the corners you've taken (out to a certain number of most recent corners) and all the incidents you've had in those corners. So when you first start out, every corner you go around is added to the list, so any incidents you have stick and your SR and really only stays where it is or go down in the beginning. This is kind of frustrating, but you just have to keep driving cleanly and it will go up. Eventually you will get to the point where your first corners start dropping off the list and all your early incidents go away. Your SR will start shooting up. So if you do a race where you really kind of screwed up, your SR can still go up because you just dropped a race where you really screwed up badly.

Other than that, just do lots of testing and practice. Do testing to learn the track to the point where you can do at least 10 laps without going off the track, then go into practice. Chances are you will piss people off. Someone will be behind you wanting to pass, you think about that instead of the next corner and next thing you know, you're spinning and going off the track. The important part of practice is taking what you've done in testing and making sure you can still do it when you are around other people. This might all sound kind of basic, but it's something you have to keep in mind when going from one sim where it's a crashfest because no one cares to iRacing where everyone wants to be clean all the time so they can keep racing the spec they want.

And don't worry about the douchebags who get angry for no reason. You might be in qualifying or even a practice, and "ruin" some guys lap for simply existing. I was still learning the miata and driving around Summit Point. I was just putting my laps in and doing my terrible braking points when some get gets behind me and freaks out saying I owe him a certain time because I ruined his lap.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 28, 2013

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
ISI finally have their own public servers up for rFactor 2. Turn outs in the evenings are quite good, with 20-30 car grids in popular stuff like Meganes and the Brabham. The problem is holy hell is there ever terrible lag. EVERY race i've had yet, 20~ cars head for turn one, everyone disappears briefly, and then reappears as one big accident. It makes iracings multiplayer look flawless. Cars float, slide through walls etc also.

It's a start, but I hope they sort it out.

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer
One thing that helped me in iRacing was practicing by doing time trials. You don't screw anyone up, and you gain a little bit of SR.

Also, doing ghost races.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

The thing about iRacing is that it blows everything else out of the water in terms of multiplayer structuring. It could be a lot shittier to drive and people would still be playing it, even if it was still expensive. They really figured out the "make a racing sim that actually has easy to access racing in it" formula. :haw:

This is my experience as well, even the website based menus work in it's favour - it all adds up to make it feel like 'more' than just a game. It's hard to describe but in iRacing I always felt more like I was popping along to a local racing club than playing a game. The total lack of music, videos, menus all add up to make a completely unique experience I think.

The racing is also brilliant, there is a certain weight about the cars that I haven't felt elsewhere and while the psychics are a little flaky in places the cars feel better to me in that than other racing games / sims.

Best Rift support I have yet seen as well, it is really impressive.

Edit: it took me 4 weeks before I entered a proper race in iRacing and another month or so before I won one. The key is not to rush (I only road race though, oval you may be able to do quicker), learn the track properly and only when you can consistently drive fast laps without coming off should you race.

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 28, 2013

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

When I was first getting into PC racing, the last thing I wanted was a sim where I had to pay to access individual cars and tracks. I wanted to drive as many different ones as possible.

Yeah, this right here. For me, I'm looking for oval racing, both open wheel and tintops. iRacing is the game for that type of racing, and I don't have to buy all the cars and tracks, just the oval stuff as I progress.

If you're jumping into sim racing with no experience, though, rFactor or rFactor 2 would be the way to go. Really good baseline game physics wise, plus a huge mod community that provides tons of great cars and tracks. The drawback to this is mods vary in quality, but the positive is there's a poo poo ton of stuff, it's all free, and the good stuff is really, really good. You can use it to figure out what you want in a sim racer, and then eventually you can jump over to iRacing and focus on whatever niche you fit into. Then you do the serious multiplayer leagues in iRacing if that's your end goal.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

peter gabriel posted:

Edit: it took me 4 weeks before I entered a proper race in iRacing and another month or so before I won one. The key is not to rush (I only road race though, oval you may be able to do quicker), learn the track properly and only when you can consistently drive fast laps without coming off should you race.

I agree with this right here. It took me almost a year before I really got super into iRacing. I first got it, drove the miata and thought "This is bullshit, this car drives like poo poo. I can't believe I paid money for this." But I stuck with it. At least until I started getting worse and gave up for several months. Then iRacing gave me a deal to resub 3 for 1 and I got back in. I got my SR up and got promoted to D class and tried the new cars. I bought the Skippy and again thought "this is bullshit, why would they make a car like this?" But I stuck with it again. It took me a few months before I felt like I could control the Skip and just did my first race a few weeks ago at the start of the current season. I'm not turning back now.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I agree with this right here. It took me almost a year before I really got super into iRacing. I first got it, drove the miata and thought "This is bullshit, this car drives like poo poo. I can't believe I paid money for this." But I stuck with it. At least until I started getting worse and gave up for several months. Then iRacing gave me a deal to resub 3 for 1 and I got back in. I got my SR up and got promoted to D class and tried the new cars. I bought the Skippy and again thought "this is bullshit, why would they make a car like this?" But I stuck with it again. It took me a few months before I felt like I could control the Skip and just did my first race a few weeks ago at the start of the current season. I'm not turning back now.

On this note: wait for a special, if there isn't one already. They periodically do stuff like $50 for a year.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

On this note: wait for a special, if there isn't one already. They periodically do stuff like $50 for a year.

There's currently a special for 49 dollars for a year. You can do as many years as you want.

Coupon Code: PR-BF2013

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah. Thats on right now!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Cojawfee posted:

Totally agree. Even now after a long time my favourite car to race is the Miata. You really do settle into something you like in iRacing and just go with it, I like the slower racing where every corner feels like a puzzle game. You figure out each puzzle and after a while join the dots between the corners - then you have a good lap.

I've always felt that iRacing is as much a puzzler as it is a racing sim. You try a different car / track combo and you get a whole new puzzle to solve.

My top tip for a beginner in a race is to chill on the first corner, like set off leisurely almost. Let the first corner crash happen in front of you (it WILL happen in rookie) and pick your way through it.
Don't be so slow as to be an issue, just be very cautious. After the first half of the lap you'll find that you are now in a race, the people around you at that point are the people you are racing.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Double post, but does the 3 month free promo still work here:
https://cadillaccupracing.com/

I never used it myself.

eternity test
Apr 30, 2006
I started from the pits in my first 5 or so iRacing races. Safety rating is way more important than trying to finish high in the beginning and it allowed me to avoid the T1 crashes and just run my own race. People will always crash or spin out so you will get some good racing anyway and probably finish in the top 10 as long as you're a decent driver and avoid crashes.

I try to work on consistency in practice before racing. If you can do 5 or so laps in a row with no more than ~0.3 seconds difference in laptime (on a short track) you'll be ok in a real race and people will have an easier time predicting where you'll go when passing you. If you are starting from the grid, practice taking weird lines inside and outside through T1 a few times just to get a feel for how far you can push your car while maintaining control at the beginning of the race.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

tehsid posted:

Yeah. Thats on right now!

Yup, that's why I got it now.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Knivbjorn posted:

I started from the pits in my first 5 or so iRacing races. Safety rating is way more important than trying to finish high in the beginning and it allowed me to avoid the T1 crashes and just run my own race. People will always crash or spin out so you will get some good racing anyway and probably finish in the top 10 as long as you're a decent driver and avoid crashes.

Started 15/16 in a street stock race at Charlotte last night. Was 8th before the first corner and 3rd before lap 2 due to crashes. I ended up in second because an idiot coming out of the pits wrecked the leader. Went from 15th to 2nd without actually racing anybody!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Diplomat posted:

Started 15/16 in a street stock race at Charlotte last night. Was 8th before the first corner and 3rd before lap 2 due to crashes. I ended up in second because an idiot coming out of the pits wrecked the leader. Went from 15th to 2nd without actually racing anybody!

Welcome to iRacing Rookie League!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If it were possible to show you guys without iRacing my replay of the race I just had, I would. It's the reason why I play this game. I started 12/13 on Okayama in the SB. Immediate wreckage on the first corner, a car flies up in the air. Drive past and I fight my way up to fifth place in the first 2 laps. Boom, my engine blows a gasket and smoke screen everywhere. It's not totally gone so I get it back to the pits and get my instant engine swap. Back on track and I'm in 12th again. I fight my way back up through a couple people spinning but mostly legitimate (though not entirely smooth) passes. I'm in sixth place behind a guy that just slowed a train down by joining in front of everyone else. It comes to the last corner and I can just barely taste fifth place. The guy in front of me goes too wide and touches the dirt but comes back on. Too late, I'm already going faster and I pass him just 20 feet before the finish and take fifth. My heart was pumping for the entire last couple laps. I should also mention that on the first flying lap after my pit stop, I put in the fastest lap I've ever done on this track, 1:47.529.

I don't think you can get this kind of racing in any other game. You can get big groups of cars, yes, but I don't think any other game puts you with such a close group of people like iRacing does. Unless you are really terrible, it always seems to put you in a session where you are with other people that are around your skill level. So there should be at least one person you can pass, unless you are the slowest.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think you can get this kind of racing in any other game.

You really can't and that's one of the main reasons why I still play.

If you sign up to a similar race at a similar time every night you're going to see the same people as well and you get to know where they are fast, slow and when and who is OK to overtake and where etc.

It's a good feeling knowing that Andy Smith is slow in the last section of Laguna Seca and that you can and will pass him if you chill out a bit - and then you do :)

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I figured it wouldn't hurt to jump in an open practice so I got the Silverado and Daytona and Talladega, running 'Dega at the moment.

Drafting is really well modeled from what I can see. That makes me happy. Now I just need my wheel so I can get some real seat time in. A gamepad isn't terrible for ovals but I'd be more comfortable with a wheel.

I think I'm addicted already :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

VikingSkull posted:

I figured it wouldn't hurt to jump in an open practice so I got the Silverado and Daytona and Talladega, running 'Dega at the moment.

Drafting is really well modeled from what I can see. That makes me happy. Now I just need my wheel so I can get some real seat time in. A gamepad isn't terrible for ovals but I'd be more comfortable with a wheel.

I think I'm addicted already :smith:

If you have a semi decent or above wheel coming you'll be addicted quickly :)
I've got a G25 and it's brilliant, make sure you read a guide on setting up your wheel properly in iRacing, it's a night and day experience between default and well set up wheels.

I could literally only do full laps without coming off at speed after I read and followed a guide on their forums.

• Locked thread