Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

BooLoo posted:

and why does it look so much like win 8

it's not gender neutral, it's metrosexual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

:eyepop:

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
so i just briefly looked at some android period tracking apps and i guess they have a point about them being gendered...

this is my fav:

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
also what is the purpose of tracking every single aspect/symptom of your period? is that a fertility thing?

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
hey, u know what london really needs?!! another fish and chips place!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

WorkingPeer posted:

also what is the purpose of tracking every single aspect/symptom of your period? is that a fertility thing?

basically they're all minorly relevant to various aspects. most of these apps are just glorified journals with some low level prediction stuff

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

WorkingPeer posted:

better that than yet another wanky clothes shop that sells £200 t-shirts

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
oi mate. wanky fackin t shirt bollocks innit

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
cor blimey pop a fishy crisper intew yer gob whydontcha

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

HAL 219000
Nov 27, 2013

number 219
is alive

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

WorkingPeer posted:

by and large its just a journal i think. i'm not sure what my wife gets out of it except knowing when she's about to start shark week (which she dismisses anyway so idk why even bother)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
clever girl

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

WorkingPeer posted:

loving hipster fucks leave fish and chips alone they're loving fine, they got it right about 150 years ago, they don't need reinventing, and you loving hoxton twats aren't going to just swan in and loving tell people they've been doing it wrong all this time

also there's no such thing as "locally sourced" fish in london it's 50 miles inland and the only fish for a hundred miles in any direction are eels and you loving hipster cunts have driven all the eel shops out of business already. oh you mean you're going to buy them from billingsgate? well guess what so does every other good chippy in london, whoop-de-loving-do. oh you've locally sourced the potatoes? you mean buying them from kent like EVERY loving POTATO SOLD IN ENGLAND? HOLY loving poo poo!

god the amount of trendy fish and chip shops that charge you 15 quid for a tiny, overcooked bit of loving cod in an underwhipped bit of batter and 14 anemic chips with the skins still on is beyond a loving joke, and i want everyone who owns one and everyone who has ever eaten in one to die in a massive loving fire

yeah i know that's a lot of words about fatty food. everyone has to have one thing that they're willing to die for, and a good chippy is mine, even if the death is from congestive heart failure, idgaf.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

underwhipped bit of batter

what's this

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

fish in fish and chips is fried in batter, not breadcrumbs - basically the same stuff as pancake batter but slightly thicker and obviously unsweetened. it has to be heavily whisked to get air into it, otherwise you get a hard crust rather than a light crunchy one. for some reason every single "proper" chef manages to miss that step and it just loving ruins it

(alternatively they try and make a beer batter where the co2 from the beer replaces the whipping but they forget to let it stand and all that happens is all the co2 explodes out the moment it hits the oil so you're left with the same hard, stodgy crust but with the taste of stale beer too)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

goddamnedtwisto posted:

fish in fish and chips is fried in batter, not breadcrumbs - basically the same stuff as pancake batter but slightly thicker and obviously unsweetened. it has to be heavily whisked to get air into it, otherwise you get a hard crust rather than a light crunchy one. for some reason every single "proper" chef manages to miss that step and it just loving ruins it

(alternatively they try and make a beer batter where the co2 from the beer replaces the whipping but they forget to let it stand and all that happens is all the co2 explodes out the moment it hits the oil so you're left with the same hard, stodgy crust but with the taste of stale beer too)

beer battered chicken is even better than beer battered fish

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

goddamnedtwisto posted:

or you can use beer and vodka and soda water and a soda siphon like heston blumenthal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr3Rrzrv8vU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yo you're not supposed to heavily work batter that's why you're supposed to use soda water or beer, whisking a lot is the wrong thing to do.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Yo you're not supposed to heavily work batter that's why you're supposed to use soda water or beer, whisking a lot is the wrong thing to do.

yes overworking anything with flour forms gluten which makes the batter tough/chewy and thick

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
this is why you knead bread dough (strong, hearty dough, a bit of chew - stuff you want in bread) whereas you never want to knead pastry/pie dough (because you want it to be tender, and you'll also melt the little pieces of fat, taking away the flakiness)

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
we have some super awesome fish n chips here on bumfuck island :canada:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

that's almost certainly where they're going wrong then - you don't over-work it but you do whip it a lot more than you would a pancake batter. also you always let it stand at least half an hour then whip it again quickly before you coat the fish - that's where they always go wrong with beer batter.

like i say this seems to be a universal thing whenever a "proper chef" tries to make fish batter, it always comes out far too thick and stodgy. also they always overcook it but that's probably just an effect of the too-thick batter not browning properly.

(e.g. look at the fish in that lovely kickstarter - looks like it's been loving breaded and toasted)

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
also, why the gently caress aren't they using a pressure fryer. . . goddamn

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

enotnert posted:

uh i think you mean a broaster

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i bet a fish corndog would be pretty tasty

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME

WorkingPeer posted:

it's handy to track mood and pain levels for awhile when you start new contraception to see if it's working out for you, to gauge regularity if you're not, plan beach holidays, all kinds of mundane poo poo really

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i'm glad i don't fart blood out of my frontbottom

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Dr. Honked posted:

i'm glad i don't fart blood out of my frontbottom

now i know why they call you doctor honked and not mister honked

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

enotnert posted:

chippies never use pressure fryers. they use gigantic, purpose-built fryers that look like this:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
this just in, mormons are the furries of christianity

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
has anyone linked this yet?
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/142892610/original-steampunk-a-poster-tribute-to-a-gaming-cl?ref=home_location

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

WorkingPeer posted:

or you can use beer and vodka and soda water and a soda siphon like heston blumenthal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr3Rrzrv8vU

this is the best thing about modernist cuisine

X is good but nobody knows why
let's investigate it scientifically
cool now let's invent a repeatable process

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

hubris.height posted:

this just in, mormons are the furries of christianity

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

quote:

The poster will be artisanal - No digital shenanigans here. Screenprinted using the best inks through the finest mesh stencils, because laser printers are for suckas.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

goddamnedtwisto posted:

loving hipster fucks leave fish and chips alone they're loving fine, they got it right about 150 years ago, they don't need reinventing, and you loving hoxton twats aren't going to just swan in and loving tell people they've been doing it wrong all this time

also there's no such thing as "locally sourced" fish in london it's 50 miles inland and the only fish for a hundred miles in any direction are eels and you loving hipster cunts have driven all the eel shops out of business already. oh you mean you're going to buy them from billingsgate? well guess what so does every other good chippy in london, whoop-de-loving-do. oh you've locally sourced the potatoes? you mean buying them from kent like EVERY loving POTATO SOLD IN ENGLAND? HOLY loving poo poo!

god the amount of trendy fish and chip shops that charge you 15 quid for a tiny, overcooked bit of loving cod in an underwhipped bit of batter and 14 anemic chips with the skins still on is beyond a loving joke, and i want everyone who owns one and everyone who has ever eaten in one to die in a massive loving fire

i love it when english people get good and mad :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

i always wanted a bespoke artisinal screen printed steampunk poster

• Locked thread