Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I'm not exactly doing that, though. I'm moving a bunch of shows that have ended to a new "archive" drive since there won't be any new episodes and then I'm keeping some on the existing drive. I guess I'll just delete and start over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

wolfbiker posted:

I need to move a bunch of TV shows around from hard drive to hard drive. This is going to gently caress with things in Sickbeard. Is there a way to update the location of the TV shows without editing each show's entry manually? Maybe just deleting the entire DB and rescanning everything?

The above poster seems to have covered SickBeard, but XBMC is going to be broken too I think...if you use it.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Rick Rickshaw posted:

The above poster seems to have covered SickBeard, but XBMC is going to be broken too I think...if you use it.

Yeah, I'll just have to clean the library and rescan.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don't see how that is any different from what I told you to do. Move your files from one drive to another, go to Mass Update and flag all the shows that have moved, hit the Edit button and tell it they've gone from one HDD to the Archive drive and everything updates internally without rescan.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
You can also edit each show, and tell it the new location of the root directory of the show. I've done it in the past when juggling drives. As long as you don't change the file names or directory structure within the root show directory, Sick Beard will keep track of everything just fine. I've done it both on linux and windows, and it works the same with both.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Anyone have a weird problem with XBMC when you lower or raise volume? If I change the volume on XBMC (instead of the tv), especially if i went up and down a few times to find the right volume, the whole rest of the time the audio fades in and out and in out an in out its really freaking annoying and I have no idea how to stop it. It's very strange and i've searched to see if anyone else has had this problem and apparently not.

Seems it was just some stupid setting on my TV!

Gozinbulx fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 23, 2013

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So I just set up XBMC on an old laptop that's standing in for my future HTPC. It's working pretty well for me so far, even got some emulators running. Yatse is probably the best use case for a tablet as well.

However, there are a couple of things I'm still looking into:
- is it possible to somehow jump around lists by pressing the key corresponding to the first letter, like in most lists in Windows, for example?
- or alternatively, just start filtering the list as soon as I start typing
- Can xbmc rename already recognized files according to some naming convention, to clean up some of the messes I have?

Cold Old
Jan 6, 2005

Two what?

mobby_6kl posted:

- Can xbmc rename already recognized files according to some naming convention, to clean up some of the messes I have?

Not to my knowledge, but try this:

http://www.therenamer.com/

After you rename your files they will rescan and you will see two library listings for the file (one for the old name, one for the new). If you select the listing for the old, it won't work. So after renaming and rescraping the files, be sure to go to system, Video, and select Clean Library. That will clean out all of the old library listings that don't have a corresponding file.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Could something like this be used for an XBMC device?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CRXZUCQ/

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Could something like this be used for an XBMC device?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CRXZUCQ/

Yes, it has Intel HD4000 for video which should be able to do hardware decoding of HD video, but I personally have not had experience with that first hand.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Thanks. I know everyone will say "just build one," but with some of the cheap prices for laptops and desktops I'm not sure if there's much of an advantage.

I dunno if I can build something like this including the OS for the same price: http://www.amazon.com/Gateway-SX2865-UR26-Desktop-Black/dp/B00CP18XDI/

If I can, I can't imagine I'd save much.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Lowen SoDium posted:

Yes, it has Intel HD4000 for video which should be able to do hardware decoding of HD video, but I personally have not had experience with that first hand.

The Intel NUC boxes also use the HD4000, and mine has never had any problem with decoding HD video. In fact, I think it's a bit overkill for that. So, go hog wild, I guess!

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Thanks. I know everyone will say "just build one," but with some of the cheap prices for laptops and desktops I'm not sure if there's much of an advantage.

I dunno if I can build something like this including the OS for the same price: http://www.amazon.com/Gateway-SX2865-UR26-Desktop-Black/dp/B00CP18XDI/

If I can, I can't imagine I'd save much.

I use one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Desktop-Graphics-Wireless-Keyboard/dp/B0056PDKXI (Acer Revo 3700) running Windows 7 for my XBMC box and it works flawlessly playing 1080p content. It also doesn't have a problem with the Aeon Nox skin, which I believe is quite demanding.

It can't quite keep up with HD youtube streams though if that's something you're interested in.

Slash fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Nov 26, 2013

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Anyone have any idea why thumbnails for tv shows and movies in my library don't work properly? I recently used a clean sweep utility to remove all preferences, addons and then reinstalled everything I was using minus some things I didn't need. Now when I go into movies or even just under files all of the movies that were cached in there prior to the wipe show blank thumbnails while newer additions seem to download the artwork fine. After searching around I found a fix. Went to File Manager> Databases> to remove some thumbnail23.db or something like that. It says to delete it and then everything should download again and be fine. However it won't let me delete the file, I just get an unable to delete error almost immediately.

What is the best way to completely uninstall XBMC and everything with it? I tried a simple uninstall but it seems to keep some things anyway and as far as I can tell the clean sweep utility just seems to rename all major preference and addon files so new ones are generated. It's getting pretty annoying and my library of video just doesn't look good without thumbnails :(

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Revol posted:

That's great and all, but I want my play button to have a play icon on it and so on. I don't want to have to learn how to use a remote, and I want other people to understand how to use it.

Has anyone used this one: http://dx.com/p/mele-f10-pro-2-4ghz-wireless-air-mouse-keyboard-remote-control-voice-mic-225844
It's called the Mele F10-Pro and the buttons appear to have useful symbols on them.
If it's as good as people say the Mele F10 is, it might be nice.

Does anyone know if the receiver on these things can be configured to wake the PC during suspend, assuming the USB ports aren't powered down?

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I'm planning on setting up XBMC on top of Ubuntu 13.10 in the next month to serve as my upgraded HTPC and I'm going to be doing a hardware upgrade to go with it. From what I can tell from the XBMC wiki, the audio module won't let me output DTS-HD MA via HDMI passthrough if I have an AMD APU, is that right? But it does work just fine with an Intel CPU + integrated graphics? I want to make sure I can get the master audio feed through to my receiver using just HDMI for video+audio.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

What "cleaner utilty" are you using?

To do a clean install you can just delete/move your userdata folder out of where it is located and boom new xbmc install.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Userdata

e: looks like Plex Home theater has been released, I kind of like it. http://elan.plexapp.com/2013/11/23/plex-home-theater-1-0-released/

kri kri fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 27, 2013

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Before I get too far in to this, should openelec installed through NOOBS pretty much work out of the box on a raspberry pi? I'm not getting any audio and wireless streaming is molasses slow.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

kri kri posted:

What "cleaner utilty" are you using?

To do a clean install you can just delete/move your userdata folder out of where it is located and boom new xbmc install.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Userdata

e: looks like Plex Home theater has been released, I kind of like it. http://elan.plexapp.com/2013/11/23/plex-home-theater-1-0-released/

hmm I'll give it a shot, the cleaner was just some thing i found on XBMC Hub, maybe I can just delete the texture db from the windows folder and then re-download everything and that will fix it. Not sure why I chose to have XBMCHUB configure everything for me, I had all my addons setup fine anyway, and then I ran that and it took over with basically the same poo poo.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Don't use xbmchub.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is there any reason why the xbmc remote would work over a browser but not an iPad app? I keep on getting a disconnected message in XBMC commander. It worked for a few hours but for whatever reason stopped.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Any UK goons using the PVR setup with Freesat? Im thinking of trying it as the freesat box I have is a pile of poo poo.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This plex home theater seems to be just a fork off XBMC... Tried to use it but apparently I need plex server to run, so now plex server is scanning.

bobsetsfire
Oct 14, 2005

They call me the American Eagle

Bigsteve posted:

Any UK goons using the PVR setup with Freesat? Im thinking of trying it as the freesat box I have is a pile of poo poo.

I do and it works pretty much flawlessly. An Openelec install with TVHeadend. I could never go back to my old setup with an off-the-shelf freesat box, everything works perfectly

Mr Crucial
Oct 28, 2005
What's new pussycat?

Residency Evil posted:

Is there any reason why the xbmc remote would work over a browser but not an iPad app? I keep on getting a disconnected message in XBMC commander. It worked for a few hours but for whatever reason stopped.

Are you specifying a hostname or an IP address for the XBMC host in your config? I've had some issues where my Android tab seems to forget or just plain ignore DNS, whereas my laptop and iPhone had no such trouble.

I gave my HTPC a fixed IP address in DHCP and used that in my config, had no issues since.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Speaking of the PVR setup, I'm getting confused on how to implement a HD Homerun with XBMC. When you read the article about using the add-on made specifically for it, it mentioned that the article is outdated because Frodo's built in PVR function has/will eventually supplant it.

What is the more contemporary, best way to use an HD homerun with XBMC?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Gozinbulx posted:

Speaking of the PVR setup, I'm getting confused on how to implement a HD Homerun with XBMC. When you read the article about using the add-on made specifically for it, it mentioned that the article is outdated because Frodo's built in PVR function has/will eventually supplant it.

What is the more contemporary, best way to use an HD homerun with XBMC?

Which HDHomerun and what tvsource.

XBMC does not care that you have an HDHomerun. It interfaces with a backend which is what interfaces with the hdhomerun. XBMC doesn't talk to the hdhomerun directly.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I dont have on yet, but it will be for OTA.

What backend should I use for the best results, hopefully easiest setup.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.
Out of the ones I've tried, NextPVR is your best bet, if you're running Windows. TVHeadend was pretty painless in terms of set up, but slow channel change times and the inability to pause live TV was enough to get me to switch back to MythTV while I was running Linux on my TV server. MythTV is a giant pain in the sack to get running properly.

edit: With NextPVR I've recently encountered issues with recordings not showing up in the list unless I reboot my XBMC client. Not a big deal if you're running the client on a machine you use for other things, but for an OpenELEC install, it's an inconvenience.

Fillerbunny fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 2, 2013

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
There is also a WMC backend now.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=PVR/Backend/ServerWMC

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Holy hell! That's awesome! NextPVR is a pain in the dick to configure EPG, where as WMC is mostly no-touch. Finally!

edit: the ServerWMC application doesn't seem to like my tuner card despite the fact that everything works OK in WMC itself. Bummer.

FormatAmerica fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 2, 2013

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
It took me like 15 minutes to setup the hd homerun and roughly an hour and a half to setup nextpvr. Once I got it going in xbmc, it was a buggy mess. Half the time get stuck switching channels or something. Then once it froze. What gives? Is it more likely the backend is to blame or xbmc itself?

walumachoncha
Jul 22, 2004
fraeulin doesn't like linux/GNOME :(
Bottom line is that pvr is a poorly implemented feature in xbmc because some of the main devs have a stick in their rear end about tv. Plus the fact that you have to deal with multiple OS permutations. It's sad that for a one box solution, the closest I can get is mce for tv, and xbmc for everything else.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I uninstalled NextPVR last night. What a loving nightmare.

For all this bullshit about backends and frontends, the best and easiest way to watch the channels from my HD Homerun is through their own QuickTV program, which is also the only god damned program thats gotten the channel listing right. For everything else I either need to use MS's EPG or a paid subscribed one or friggin XMLTV. What a disaster.

I'm gonna give WMC as a backend a shot, but i'm not keeping my hopes up.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Gozinbulx posted:

I uninstalled NextPVR last night. What a loving nightmare.

For all this bullshit about backends and frontends, the best and easiest way to watch the channels from my HD Homerun is through their own QuickTV program, which is also the only god damned program thats gotten the channel listing right. For everything else I either need to use MS's EPG or a paid subscribed one or friggin XMLTV. What a disaster.

I'm gonna give WMC as a backend a shot, but i'm not keeping my hopes up.

Why dont you just use WMC instead of loving with the poo poo beta PVR in XBMC.

Download http://xbmcwmc.teknowebworks.com/ this and install it. Works on 7 and 8. Gives you an XBMC link in WMC. When you click it it closes WMC and opens XBMC, when you exist XBMC it relaunches WMC.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

This got me excited and I was going to give XBMC PVR another chance this weekend after giving up on it last time I tried (pre-frodo)... Then Comcast flipped the switch on encrypting basic cable for me yesterday, so I guess I'm boned again.

*sigh*

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Don Lapre posted:

Why dont you just use WMC instead of loving with the poo poo beta PVR in XBMC.

Download http://xbmcwmc.teknowebworks.com/ this and install it. Works on 7 and 8. Gives you an XBMC link in WMC. When you click it it closes WMC and opens XBMC, when you exist XBMC it relaunches WMC.

I just set up an HDHomerunPrime and played with the WMC backend/frontend for XBMC for a few hours, an after comparing it directly with native PVR in WMC I decided to go this route as well. Windows media center changes channels quickly, has a decent EPG and is just a most polished experience.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
By the way, in case anyone was wondering, ClearQAM is still available in Miami through Comcast. Probably not for long though.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

walumachoncha posted:

Bottom line is that pvr is a poorly implemented feature in xbmc because some of the main devs have a stick in their rear end about tv. Plus the fact that you have to deal with multiple OS permutations. It's sad that for a one box solution, the closest I can get is mce for tv, and xbmc for everything else.

I was under the assumption that PVR was developed solely by the OpenElec devs and it was a side project compared to to development of the actual distro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Last night I got xbmc 12.3 setup on my Ubuntu box. The setup was simple so far, and I really liked that it has build in overscan fixing so I could resize my resolution perfectly. I couldn't test hd-ma pass through yet because my receiver hasn't been set up, but playback tests went well. I still have to configure my library which will be a pretty rough task, it seems. I need to find a good Linux batch renaming program to put all my shows and movies into the proper format with, hopefully, as minimal input as possible.

We'll see how that goes...