Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Martytoof posted:

Why can't I find a lens shaped travel mug that actually lets you drink with the lid on like a normal travel mug should? :(

http://www.nomorerack.com/daily_deals/view/272980

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

And maybe something in K-mount for us lonely Pentax people... It isn't happening, is it?

Ah well...

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Buy some grotty old K-mount 200mm, slather the rear element in food-safe hardening sealant (i.e. not silicone), then glue the rear cap on. Then, smash out all the glass, clean out all the shards and dust, and line the inside with food-safe goop that will dry to a nice, waterproof layer coating everything.

Then you just have to find a lid that can be glued to the the ring of an appropriate-diameter UV filter that you've already removed the glass from.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

ExecuDork posted:

Buy some grotty old K-mount 200mm, slather the rear element in food-safe hardening sealant (i.e. not silicone), then glue the rear cap on. Then, smash out all the glass, clean out all the shards and dust, and line the inside with food-safe goop that will dry to a nice, waterproof layer coating everything.

Then you just have to find a lid that can be glued to the the ring of an appropriate-diameter UV filter that you've already removed the glass from.

This sounds like the Pentax experience summed up pretty well.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

SoundMonkey posted:

This sounds like the Pentax experience summed up pretty well.

Words hurt.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Just got the Sigma 30mm in today. I love it. Build quality seems amazing and .. as far as my tests have shown me this guy has no back/front focus issues. I got it as part of amazon warehouse deals, out the door price @ $430.

Everything is complete: box, manuals, lens hood, bag. Not a single blemish on the lens like Amazon had reported ..

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ZippySLC posted:

Words hurt.

It could be worse, he could have taken a picture...
Or even worse: A video.

At the current exchange rate of 1000 words to a picture that is a lot of pain.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

No Gravitas posted:

It could be worse, he could have taken a picture...
Or even worse: A video.

At the current exchange rate of 1000 words to a picture that is a lot of pain.
I feel like with advances in sensor technology in recent years that exchange rate needs some adjustment. Pictures are going up uP UP.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Balanced out by everyone taking 100 x more pictures these days. At current exchange rates one picture can be exchanged for approximately 87 words.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
I have a Canon Rebel XT and am looking to buy a decent portrait lens for a project I'm working on. Basically I'm looking for a lens that can take nice photos of people posing from distances of about 5-15 ft in a variety of locations both indoor and outdoor. My budget is $200-500, what lenses in this pricerange would be a good bet?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Supersonic posted:

I have a Canon Rebel XT and am looking to buy a decent portrait lens for a project I'm working on. Basically I'm looking for a lens that can take nice photos of people posing from distances of about 5-15 ft in a variety of locations both indoor and outdoor. My budget is $200-500, what lenses in this pricerange would be a good bet?

The 50/1.8 is a pretty good length for portraits on crop sensor.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

Supersonic posted:

I use the 50 1.8 for that now, but am getting a Tamron 17-50 2.8 which hopefully will be able to replace it for portrait usage while still doing everything else, but we'll see.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I have both and prefer the nifty fifty for portraits, it's faster and so much sharper that it's not even funny. The Tamron is much more versatile, obviously, so keep that in mind if you can only have one lens.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

mobby_6kl posted:

I have both and prefer the nifty fifty for portraits, it's faster and so much sharper that it's not even funny. The Tamron is much more versatile, obviously, so keep that in mind if you can only have one lens.

Same for me. I've got both the 50 1.8 and the Tammy 17-50 2.8 and the 50 makes a much better portrait lens. I would still prefer an equally fast and sharp 30-35 1.8 on a crop though

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
If you had to have one which would you go with though?

Although if his budget is truly $500, you could easily get both used.

^^^Yeah, wouldn't trade my Sigma 30 1.4 for anything (except maybe a newer version). For portrait work though, just have to get in a little too close.

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 23, 2013

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Bob Mundon posted:

If you had to have one which would you go with though?

Although if his budget is truly $500, you could easily get both used.

^^^Yeah, wouldn't trade my Sigma 30 1.4 for anything (except maybe a newer version). For portrait work though, just have to get in a little too close.

For quality/performance/price then go for the 50 if you're doing head and shoulders portraits. For versatility then go for the 17-50 you lose some of the shallowness of the depth of field but you get all kinds of range.

To be honest I would rather have the 30 than the 50 if I could make that choice again.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan

Verman posted:

For quality/performance/price then go for the 50 if you're doing head and shoulders portraits. For versatility then go for the 17-50 you lose some of the shallowness of the depth of field but you get all kinds of range.

To be honest I would rather have the 30 than the 50 if I could make that choice again.

I'm going to be doing a mix of full and half body portraits, similar to these ones.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I have a 50mm f/2 manual focus lens that I use with a crop sensor camera. It works great for this kind of stuff, although I do often find it a bit narrow.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The 50 is a perfect shortish portrait lens. I'd never recommend one over a normal as a first (upgrade) lens, but for the usage you describe it should be perfect.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I bought and received my cheapo "Fotodiox" extension tube set and wow.. WHY DID I DO THIS YEARS AGO???

This is quite possibly the best $15 I've ever spent on photo gear. The results, considering the price, are amazing.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
I find that the DOF becomes unmanageably shallow using the extension tubes. Am I doing something wrong?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Bobx66 posted:

I find that the DOF becomes unmanageably shallow using the extension tubes. Am I doing something wrong?

I shot this handheld (granted, at f5.6 on the kit lens) with the extension tube set (28mm taken off). I don't think the DOF is all that bad at that aperture. But I haven't shot at 1.4 on my Sigma .. I can only imagine the shred of DOF you would have there.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

Bobx66 posted:

If you use a narrower aperture gives you a lot more room. Have to set it on the lens before taking it off with the DOF preview button first, then your good.

Not using all the tubes is good too if you don't want to get crazy close.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bobx66 posted:

This'll happen regardless of how you achieve close focus. Just stop down.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

Bob Mundon posted:

If you use a narrower aperture gives you a lot more room. Have to set it on the lens before taking it off with the DOF preview button first, then your good.

Not using all the tubes is good too if you don't want to get crazy close.

Nice tip for the auto lenses, what does the DOF preview accomplish though?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Bobx66 posted:

It steps the lens down to the selected aperture and holds it there. When you then power off the camera the lens is blades are kept in that place.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

Bobx66 posted:

Otherwise it'll go back to the default aperture when you take the lens off. It only goes to the aperture you have it set to if you release the shutter, or press the DOF preview button. For example on the lens I use with tubes, it's always on 2.8, so if you don't press the DOF preview you are using the tubes at 2.8 which will create that unusably thin DOF.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Hi guys. I'm looking to buy a cheap point and shoot to take decent looking shots of cocktails in low light.

I work behind a bar that focuses on great cocktails and basically making people happy. Pretty regularly, that involves creating and making custom drinks on the spot to suit a customers whims and desires. I'd like to start documenting these somehow because theres tons of great things that we come up with, and we're so busy that they're just gone again, completely forgotten by the end of the night. I don't want it to be a distraction behind the bar, and I don[t want it to take up any time either, so ideally I'm looking for something that takes great pictures in low light, without a flash, and can snap them in a hurry.

The bar is dimly lit but has a row of small, dimmed halogen spots (maybe 2" diameter each, 2-3' apart) providing a little light straight down onto the bar where we mix our drinks and have them sitting before we present them to customers. I'd like it to be as cheap as possible, but I understand good pictures don't get spat out of cheap gear. If it's possible, I'm hoping I can keep it under $200. Open to suggestions on things to check out or keep an eye on because there looks like a ton of great Black Friday deals popping up at the moment and I'd like to take as much advantage of that right now as possible. I am in Canada, if that helps, but don't mind getting one shipped from the US (I have a friend who gets stuff for me just south of the border) if it's the right deal.

Thanks a lot.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You'd be much better served by spending the money on a basic light tent and using a recent phone.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

yeah but I don't have room to set up anything in my workspace. Real estate is very valuable and we all move really fast for hours and hours on end. Looking for something I can stash within arms reach, just whip out and fire off a shot and put away again and get back to work.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Small LED-based light with diffused surface set up under the drink like a light-up bar coaster + decent camera phone? Any cheap point and shoot with flash in a dim bar is going to look like poo poo.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Specifically mentioned i don't want to use a flash though. It's a bar in a fine dining restaurant and I don't want a flash going off every few minutes. Want it to be as discrete as possible.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

nrr posted:

Specifically mentioned i don't want to use a flash though. It's a bar in a fine dining restaurant and I don't want a flash going off every few minutes. Want it to be as discrete as possible.

What you're asking for is pretty much impossible.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

That's cool, maybe I should change my required outcome from "decent pictures" to "pictures that don't look like poo poo." Any suggestions for a couple of models that are going to do the best/least bad job in that environment, in or around that budget? I've never bought a camera before, I'm just looking for a bit of a helping hand.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The best point and shoot in the price range is going to be an s90 through s110 from canon. You might be better off trying to find a cheap mirrorless as it'll do better in low light. Drinks tend to look really murky and not that nice unless you can get them backlit somehow. Usually I shoot a light into the back of them or cut out a piece of white card to match the liquid behind the glass.

Edit: also, I don't care for the way drinks and glass in general look in light tents.

powderific fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 28, 2013

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

voodoorootbeer posted:

Small LED-based light with diffused surface set up under the drink like a light-up bar coaster + decent camera phone? Any cheap point and shoot with flash in a dim bar is going to look like poo poo.

This sounds like the most reasonable idea to me. At $200 you aren't going to get a camera that will solve your problem, you're better off spending it on a non-obtrusive lighting solution that will make a less-good camera able to take good pictures.
As an added bonus, if you get just the drink lit up, it will be so much brighter than the background that it might look like it's just floating in darkness.

Example of a "drink" lit from below:

This is a really quick setup using a cheap cold-cathode light table and my low-end smartphone. (I also don't have any cocktail, wine or other stem glasses, so instead placed one on top of another.)

This was with the room lights on, the effect is even greater when I turn them off, just didn't occur to me to try that when taking to that picture in the first place.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

nrr posted:

That's cool, maybe I should change my required outcome from "decent pictures" to "pictures that don't look like poo poo." Any suggestions for a couple of models that are going to do the best/least bad job in that environment, in or around that budget? I've never bought a camera before, I'm just looking for a bit of a helping hand.

iPhone 5.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Ok, thanks guys. I'll look into the s90->s10 from Canon. I had some other people suggest my iphone as well but it's pretty frowned upon to be having our phones with us at work, and the one thing I've noticed is that the while the iphone camera can look great in daylight, it's not so great in low light.

I don't have the ability to set up a back or underlit type apparatus but there is a strip of ice that runs around the bar that could provide a solid white background if shot at the right angle that might give a similar effect. Here's some quick shots I took on my phone while I had time to breathe a little to give you a little bit of an idea of the environment.

So in the fourth one, in the bottom left corner you can see the edge of the black barmat that is where my drinks and prepped and made, and where I'll likely be shooting from. These are taken with the lights pointing down onto the bar that I mentioned, at their brightest. Don't know if you can see it very well but the lighting in the background is more consistent with our lighting levels while we're in service.

Maybe what I should be doing is showing you guys cameras that are on sale for good prices and getting your opinions on which one is going to be best for my situation.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There just aren't that many good options if you're not going to something with interchangeable lenses. Amazon has the s110 for $224 and the Fuji xf1 for $199, which are both pretty good. Dpreview isn't perfect by any means but they're extremely comprehensive if you see a deal on something and want to know if it's any good.

Edit: and, unfortunately, it's tough to say how well even they would do in that situation. It's just a combination of tough lighting with a tough subject.

powderific fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Ok, what do you think of these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_i=7258612011

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-WB250F-14-2MP-Digital-Optical/dp/B00B7UTB5C/ref=sr_1_6?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1385692955&sr=1-6

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-COOLPIX-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B00AW2P98E/ref=sr_1_8?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1385693189&sr=1-8