Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
It was a few pages ago, but on the topic of Malamar I think some of it's major advantages got over looked. Malamar is great for preventing the opposing team from setting up sweepers, which is great because many teams rely on that. I always lead with Malamar and if I suspect the opposing Pokemon has a bug move I use protect as my first move or switch to a Pokemon that resists bug. If the opposing Pokemon probably doesn't have a bug move I throw a superpower, which is great if the trainer swaps out their Pokemon because I get a free stat boost and a free hit.

A lot of the time you don't even need to have topsy turvy on your Malamar because just the threat of it tends to make the other trainer (human, not NPC) not even bother attempting to set up. Additionally, Malamar is super easy to boost in doubles and triples by having its teammates hit it with moves like metal sound, screech, etc.

Also, any Pokemon with stat lowering abilities like intimidate or gooey will boost Malamar's stats, which is awesome.

A large part of Malamar's appeal is that it fucks up many common strategies. Rain dance team? Turn swift swim into a disadvantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
So I'm just about to fight the Elite Four, how do I generate those fancy images of the Pokemon I used to defeat the Elite Four? I need to be ready when the time is upon me!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

MustelaFuro posted:

A large part of Malamar's appeal is that it fucks up many common strategies. Rain dance team? Turn swift swim into a disadvantage.

Wait, would topsy turvy actually work on swift swim? I thought it wouldn't interact with it at all.

I really wanted to use Malamar online, but I only do doubles and can't find much of a use for him there. He has a bunch of good moves, but his stats are painfully average. He doesn't have the speed to use any of his moves before getting torn to shreds, nor the bulk to spam super power to noticeable effect. As a pure support he is overshadowed by basically every Prankster. Man if his HA had been Prankster he would be amazing though.

Using moves on him doubles just for the sake of boosting him sounds like a god awful idea. You're wasting your partners turn just to boost a pokemon with very average stats that could easily die in one hit from a surprise bug move.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 28, 2013

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Wildtortilla posted:

So I'm just about to fight the Elite Four, how do I generate those fancy images of the Pokemon I used to defeat the Elite Four? I need to be ready when the time is upon me!

Hook up your game with Global Link and check your logbook.

Orchids!
May 17, 2009

Thanks for the link, I'll keep an eye on it in case he posts his script. :)

Happy Thanksgiving Amerigoons!

Source Oh god why did I search Deviant Art for "Pokemon Thanksgiving" :negative:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Orchids! posted:

Source Oh god why did I search Deviant Art for "Pokemon Thanksgiving" :negative:

:psyduck: I think I should be glad I have no idea what painful images this would dredge up. Other than a bunch of crappy MSpaint pictures, I'm sure there are plenty of those.

EDIT: To add some content, here's a battle I had against Baalfrog; 4Q7W-WWWW-WWW2-C28E

I can't figure out what to do with my Drapion. I've never had a pokemon feel quite as ineffective as he does. Every game I've sent him out he dies before doing anything.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 28, 2013

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
I want to take a moment to appreciate the Wonder Trade feature. I just traded away 20 reject Charmander from my breeding project and got 20 interesting Pokemon in return, including a :swoon: Japanese Protean Froakie :swoon: with 3 perfect IVs. All of my genetic failures finally have a purpose!

literally real IRL
Apr 28, 2008
Starting today and until June 30, 2014 you can get a special Garchomp (for X) or Scizor (for Y) when you buy it at walmart. Anyone know anything else about this? I can't seem to find out what they mean by "special."

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pokemon-X-Wal-Mart-Exclusive-Nintendo-3DS/33060453
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pokemon-Y-Wal-Mart-Exclusive-Nintendo-3DS/33060454

The Mechanical Hand
May 21, 2007

as this blessed evening falls don't forget the alcohol

Ratspeaker posted:

I want to take a moment to appreciate the Wonder Trade feature. I just traded away 20 reject Charmander from my breeding project and got 20 interesting Pokemon in return, including a :swoon: Japanese Protean Froakie :swoon: with 3 perfect IVs. All of my genetic failures finally have a purpose!

For real. I got an adamant tyrunt, 4 or 5 IVs, with ice fang, fire fang, thunder fang, and dragon dance once in return on Wonder Trade. The Japanese player who gave it to me had to just be giving them out since it was a level 1 hatched. Awesome.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
In my dragonite breeding program I've now produced 5 5iv females... all with shed skin :negative:

The Mechanical Hand posted:

For real. I got an adamant tyrunt, 4 or 5 IVs, with ice fang, fire fang, thunder fang, and dragon dance once in return on Wonder Trade. The Japanese player who gave it to me had to just be giving them out since it was a level 1 hatched. Awesome.

Definitely. In order to produce one 5iv female you'd end up with dozens and dozens of 4iv males. I have almost ten bins full of various 3 or 4iv breeding rejects.

I actually picked up a 5iv sheer force nidoran F from wonder trade.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Crossposting from the trading thread.

Can anyone help me evolve a couple Pokemon?

My FC is 0387-8872-9394.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I traded away more Chespin today, some with Bulletproof, via Wonder Trade and almost everything in return was great. Even the Fletchling someone sent was a Gale Force with 4IVs-I love people who mark the perfect IVs on their 'mon since I can't check myself yet. Got a Timid Gastly with 5IVs too and considering using that in my game, since I've never used a Gengar before.

Oh, and it will probably have terrible stats/has a random nature, but if anyone wants a female Bulletproof Chespin I've still one left. A non-English Ditto would be nice, especially if it has a nice nature/IVs, but mostly want it just for the increased likelihood of hatching shinies.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Crossposting from the trading thread.

Can anyone help me evolve a couple Pokemon?

My FC is 0387-8872-9394.

I can do that now if you still need someone. FC is 4957 2837 4540

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

TastyAvocado posted:

In my dragonite breeding program I've now produced 5 5iv females... all with shed skin :negative:

Ahhhh, finally after 6 with shed skin I get one with marvel scale, dragonite breeding program complete. I now have 5iv breeding pairs of larvitar, whismur, dratini, axew and honedge. Gonna have to do some trading tonight.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.
I love how absolutely lucky or unlucky you can get while breeding. I'm currently breeding Gastlys, and was checking a batch of them. I check one, and the guy says "This Pokemon's potential is relatively superior overall!" I thought "Here we go, this could be a new one to stick in the day care, because I knew it wasn't going to be a perfect one, but perhaps one to start breeding with. "This Pokemon's highest stat is in attack." OK...and? "These stats are pretty good, that's how I see it."

A 0IV :negative:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

My Pangoro requires elemental punches.
Is there a tutor hidden anywhere? Or do I need to do some breeding gymnastics?

Immer
Aug 11, 2009

It's what they were born for.
They serve no other purpose in life.
Keep doing what you're doing.

the_steve posted:

My Pangoro requires elemental punches.
Is there a tutor hidden anywhere? Or do I need to do some breeding gymnastics?

The latter. We'll most likely get Move Tutors with the next Pokemon game(s).

vvv edit: Oops I didn't even bother to check Pancham's egg moves. But yeah, the lack of Move Tutors in general hurts.

Immer fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 28, 2013

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Pangoro can't learn any elemental punches currently, not even as egg moves. The only moves it learns that benefit from Iron Fist are Comet Punch, Sky Uppercut, Hammer Arm and Power-Up Punch.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

TastyAvocado posted:

In my Nidoking breeding program, I wound up with 4 5iv male Nidorans, the first two with the wrong nature, the last two with Hustle, and 3 5iv female Nidorans, 2 Hustle and one with Poison Point I think.

I'm thinking about running a Contrary Superpower Malamar, is that pretty viable? Would Infiltrator be better, then just run Topsy Turvy with Superpower?

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

MissileWaster posted:

I'm thinking about running a Contrary Superpower Malamar, is that pretty viable? Would Infiltrator be better, then just run Topsy Turvy with Superpower?

I think the most viable set malamar has is contrary plus choice scarf. Topsy turvy is kind of cool as a move, but Malamar's usually too slow to get it off without being hit, and too frail to survive a boosted hit. Think Dragonite's outrage after a dragon dance or Kangaskhan's return after powerup punch.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I am thankful for the kickass battle I had. It was a ton of fun and it let me show off my youkai theme team!

Code: H34G-WWWW-WWW3-C6CN

Figured seeing it in action would assist in feedback. So here's the whole set-up:

Tamamo the Ninetails (Drought) @ Choice Scarf
-Sunny Day
-Solar Beam
-Psyshock
-Fire Blast

Mr. Koi the Gyarados (Intimidate) @ Gyraradosite
-Waterfall
-Ice Fang
-Roar
-Dragon Dance

Konoha-Tengu the Shiftry (Chlorophyll) @ White Herb
-Growth
-Leaf Storm
-Dark Pulse
-Rock Slide

Shuixiu the Mienshao (Reckless) @ Black Belt
-Hi-Jump Kick
-Poison Jab
-U-Turn
-Quick Guard

Toofiepegs the Mawile (Intimidate) @ Mawilite
-Iron Head
-Sucker Punch
-Play Rough
-Power-up Punch

Yuki-Onna the Froslass (Cursed Body) @ Life Orb
-Ice Beam
-Ice Shard
-Attract
-Shadow Ball

There are refinements I could make; Choice Specs is probably better on the Froslass but I don't have those yet. Mawile could use Fire Fang at least, but I keep pushing my Mawile breeding project back. Does anyone run more than one Megastone? Those two are actually meant to deploy on the same turn in a double battle to keep opponents guessing but I have no idea if that's strategically sound or not. Thoughts? Feedback?

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

GeckoMissingo posted:

I think the most viable set malamar has is contrary plus choice scarf. Topsy turvy is kind of cool as a move, but Malamar's usually too slow to get it off without being hit, and too frail to survive a boosted hit. Think Dragonite's outrage after a dragon dance or Kangaskhan's return after powerup punch.

That's more or less what I figured. I've got an idea for its moveset, but I can't think of the fourth move. By the looks of it, one of Malamar's worst enemies could probably be U-Turn Scizor, so Flamethrower is what I would pick there, even though it's a special attack, and Malamar will probably be long dead to a U-Turn Scizor before it gets the chance to attack it. Seeing a Scizor would be an immediate switch out, but I just can't think of something for the fourth move. Its best option against Fairy types would probably be whatever Psychic type attack it has (thinking Psycho Cut here). Finish up with Foul Play, and I think this will work pretty well for what it'll be used for.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Rangpur posted:

Toofiepegs the Mawile (Intimidate) @ Mawilite
-Iron Head
-Sucker Punch
-Play Rough
-Power-up Punch

No Swords Dance?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I'm just picking this up again after putting it on hold for Ace Attorney, so... I've barely gotten all that far in. I've two related questions:

Is the Flabebe line worth using during the main storyline?

What's a generally recommended level to use the stone on the second in the line? I'm asking more because Bulbapedia has the final form's leveling moves... But not the levels they're learned at.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Regalingualius posted:

I'm just picking this up again after putting it on hold for Ace Attorney, so... I've barely gotten all that far in. I've two related questions:

Is the Flabebe line worth using during the main storyline?

What's a generally recommended level to use the stone on the second in the line? I'm asking more because Bulbapedia has the final form's leveling moves... But not the levels they're learned at.

That's because the final forms don't have level-up moves. Those are all base moves they can "remember".

Typically, it's best to evolve after the second form has learned all the moves you want it to have.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.

Rangpur posted:

Tamamo the Ninetails (Drought) @ Choice Scarf
-Sunny Day
-Solar Beam
-Psyshock
-Fire Blast

Forgive me if I'm missing something, but why do you have Sunny Day on a scarfed Ninetails with Drought?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I took the first Flabebe I caught on Route 7 to the Elite 4, so they're perfectly usable. Floette learns Moonblast at lv. 46 and Petal Dance at 51, which are the key attack moves. Not gonna lie, you'll be hurting for decent Fairy-type attacks early on but its final form is an absurdly good special tank.

heytallman posted:

Forgive me if I'm missing something, but why do you have Sunny Day on a scarfed Ninetails with Drought?
Honestly? I fought a ton of people online who opened with a Tyranitar while I was planning the team. I wanted a move to turn the momentum back in my favor before she inevitably gets KO'd.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, Flabebe is definitely worth using once she gets up to speed.

You can use literally anything you want, though, it's not an especially hard game. Just pick who you think is cool. (And turn off the Exp. Share if you're just gonna be using six dudes.)

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.

Rangpur posted:

Honestly? I fought a ton of people online who opened with a Tyranitar while I was planning the team. I wanted a move to turn the momentum back in my favor before she inevitably gets KO'd.

In looking at your team, I honestly don't see too much that benefits from sunlight (edit: except for Chlorophyll on Shiftry). I'd probably just stick another move on her and switch her out in the case of a lead Ttar. You have some safe switches in on Ttar, like Shiftry or Mawile. Plus, most lead Ttars are going to spend the first turn setting up Stealth Rock anyway, so I wouldn't worry about getting hit by Pursuit or something like that. Save her for bringing sun back in later.

heytallman fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 28, 2013

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
Thinking of starting an HP Lovecraft themed team, so far I'm thinking Malamar, Tangrowth and Omastar. Any suggestions? I'm thinking a ghost type would easily fit the theme but I don't know which one.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Trevenant as a dark young of Shub-Niggurath maybe?

EDIT: wait you've got Tangrowth in there already. I dunno, Banetite is pretty horrifying in general and you could always spin it as a Byakhee.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

I'm breeding Deerlings with Grass Whistle and Synthesis, and right now I have two females with xx/31/31/xx/31/31 IVs but with different abilities (Chlorophyll and Sap Sipper).

Which ability is better for a Sawsbuck? Does Sap Sipper even trigger with spores and the like despite being immune to it?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Bulbapedia says the only Grass move that doesn't trigger it is Aromatherapy. So it'd probably work? Thing is, Deerling looks like a Grass type and Sap Sipper isn't a hidden ability. So anyone even passingly familiar with the thing ain't using a grass move on it, and a Breloom can knock it out with Mach Punch the following turn, even if you do switch into a Seed Bomb/Bullet Seed. Chlorophyll is leagues better if you want to run a Sunny Day team, but you could breed either since neither is a hidden ability. You'll get some of both.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

That's good to know, I'll go with the Chlorophyll one, thanks.

I think I'm having bad luck with IVs though, hatching a pokemon with max IVs in the dump stat despite the parents having almost 0 in said stat is normal, right?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Anyone have Slurpuff/Swirlix or Poliwhirl FS? Trying to get a Slurpuff with Belly drum (and as a corollary an Azumarill with Belly Drum and Aqua Jet) and I've got a 3 IV Azumarill ready to bread for Belly Drum.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
I thought I was having terrible luck breeding, but then on my fifteenth Tyrunt this happened

He's not perfect, but he's so pretty and blue I can't not keep him. :3:

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Waverhouse posted:

Thinking of starting an HP Lovecraft themed team, so far I'm thinking Malamar, Tangrowth and Omastar. Any suggestions? I'm thinking a ghost type would easily fit the theme but I don't know which one.

Cradily, Spiritomb, and Muk fit the best appearance wise, but I'm not sure what they would bring to the team.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Anyone have Slurpuff/Swirlix or Poliwhirl FS? Trying to get a Slurpuff with Belly drum (and as a corollary an Azumarill with Belly Drum and Aqua Jet) and I've got a 3 IV Azumarill ready to bread for Belly Drum.

Poliwhirl can be caught in the water at Pokemon Village. That's where I got mine.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Nessa posted:

Poliwhirl can be caught in the water at Pokemon Village. That's where I got mine.

Looking for a FS to get those Guaranteed 2 IV's so breeding is easier. Also super need the Swirlix Safari because the ability I want is actually his hidden ability. Did not know that.

Choray
Oct 31, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Looking for a FS to get those Guaranteed 2 IV's so breeding is easier. Also super need the Swirlix Safari because the ability I want is actually his hidden ability. Did not know that.

I've been breeding Unburden Swirlix lately and got a spare 5 IV (dump Attack) female you can have if you want.

e: my FC is 4055-4071-0422

Choray fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Choray posted:

I've been breeding Unburden Swirlix lately and got a spare 5 IV (dump Attack) female you can have if you want.

Oh sweet! Thanks, man! FC: 0989-2944-5596 In Game Name is Clue. I'm coming online right now!

EDIT: Thanks!

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 29, 2013

• Locked thread