Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Ernie Muppari posted:

EU thinks Cyberdisks are way more scary than they usually are, and tends to hold back on throwing many/any at you until like, July or so.

Clearly, EW has no such compunction...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Anyone else watching Beagle's stream? Holy poo poo that terror mission :stare:

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

S.J. posted:

Does Beagle also upload his sessions to someplace later on? Because of the time difference, I'm not able to catch them live.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

richardfun posted:

Clearly, EW has no such compunction...

I should've clarified that I meant in story missions, which skew more towards the less-difficult end of the X-Com difficulty curve.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

richardfun posted:

Does Beagle also upload his sessions to someplace later on? Because of the time difference, I'm not able to catch them live.

It should be available his twitch channel afterwards, as far as I know.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

S.J. posted:

Yeah it's a shame he went down to easy difficulty for that mission

richardfun posted:

It'll be http://www.twitch.tv/miss_jamball/b/483621016 when it's over, he doesn't local record and upload which is a shame. Footage from the last few nights is near-unwatchable with the framerate from poor stream settings

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Yeah it's a shame he went down to easy difficulty for that mission

Eh? Floaters still had 6 HP, zombies still had 14. Someone even asked if he changed the difficulty.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

richardfun posted:

Anyone? For the record, I'm doing a Classic run for the first time.

This is not conventional but I had no trouble passing over Precision Lasers thanks to Reaper Rounds + Tactical Rigging. Heavy lasers are still totally worth it, but mostly for your Interceptors. On Classic you can get very, very far with ballistic weapons if you play it correctly. It was not unheard for a while to go straight to light plasma and afaik is still viable. I even hosed up doing that one time and made it a month fighting mutons with assault rifles. It wasn't pretty but it's doable.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
Is there any significance to the MEC nickname 'Ryle'? Is it a reference to something?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

S.J. posted:

Eh? Floaters still had 6 HP, zombies still had 14. Someone even asked if he changed the difficulty.
You seemed to have missed the joke regarding how the AI was acting throughout the entire mission.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Ok, I've been playing the crap out of Enemy Unknown all week, having only just started playing recently, a friend of mine bought me EW.
I am currently only just past the enemy base assault and have just built Psi labs in my EU game. I've been considering restarting as it is, seeing as learning the game (and doing the tutorial) cost me many men, women, and countries in the XCOM initiative.
My question is; Is there any reason not to start again and begin using Enemy Within, from a story standpoint?
Is it a continuation from the EU story, or does it merely enhance the standard storyline from the beginning?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

You seemed to have missed the joke regarding how the AI was acting throughout the entire mission.

No, I watched the whole thing. I thought you had missed the joke, actually :v:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Gilbert Ryle is a philosopher. "Ghost in the Machine" Was something he came up with.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Man so far all of my soldiers this campaign have gotten mediocre to outright bad training roulette results. All of my snipers have grenadier because it was preferable to the other choice.

It is kinda cool to see how cross-class skills mesh. I have a colonel assault with holo targeting that is actually pretty useful.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Spiteski posted:

Ok, I've been playing the crap out of Enemy Unknown all week, having only just started playing recently, a friend of mine bought me EW.
I am currently only just past the enemy base assault and have just built Psi labs in my EU game. I've been considering restarting as it is, seeing as learning the game (and doing the tutorial) cost me many men, women, and countries in the XCOM initiative.
My question is; Is there any reason not to start again and begin using Enemy Within, from a story standpoint?
Is it a continuation from the EU story, or does it merely enhance the standard storyline from the beginning?

I'll answer your question first: yes, Enemy Within simply enhances the standard storyline, it does not add new post-ending content.

However: you should finish your campaign. Losing huge numbers of people and countries is part of the XCOM tradition, and so is accepting that cost. You'll enjoy this game so much more if you take the hits instead of going for perfection. Remember, :xcom:!

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

dyzzy posted:

Man so far all of my soldiers this campaign have gotten mediocre to outright bad training roulette results. All of my snipers have grenadier because it was preferable to the other choice.

Ghost Grenades. :getin:

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

General Battuta posted:

I'll answer your question first: yes, Enemy Within simply enhances the standard storyline, it does not add new post-ending content.

However: you should finish your campaign. Losing huge numbers of people and countries is part of the XCOM tradition, and so is accepting that cost. You'll enjoy this game so much more if you take the hits instead of going for perfection. Remember, :xcom:!

Yea I think I shall, even if its just to see if my sniper hero makes it to the end. He's the only one I haven't lost yet (even when I save scummed a couple times starting out)
Pretty excited to get into the mec suits though, so maybe ill try finish it tonight.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

treat posted:

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but while Enemy Within isn't on sale on steam, it's 30% off on Green Man Gaming with the coupon code GMG30-4IMHC-3C8ST, or at least it was earlier today when I got it.
Why do I always have to read posts like these right after I buy EW for a friend?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Woozy posted:

Ghost Grenades. :getin:

:monocle: If I ever find myself with the money to spare, I am definitely going to do this.

e: VVV That moment made me kinda uncomfortable, I wasn't sure if he was genuinely irritated by the mission going south or just playing mad.

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 29, 2013

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I'm hoping Beagle's next videos are periodically filled with him apologizing profusely to Jamball :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I finally finish EW without getting weird panic bugs, but it kind of went the opposite direction this time. I was getting ridiculously simple spawns for most of the game. I didn't see anything tougher than a Muton until I downed the first Ethereal UFO and all my guys were kitted out with plasma weapons and top-tier Meld. It was almost a relief to see two Sectopods pop out of that UFO because every mission was just my invisible death-troopers stomping all over everything.

I really like XCOM but I wish it was a bit less feast or famine. I also wish there was a way to toggle Exalt off because they're really not a good addition to the game. Their AI is so god damned broken that it just becomes a turkey shoot and some easy leveling up my rookies.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

FauxGateau posted:

It is. I feel like I'm some mid-80s spy from a cartoon.

I just had a covert op and my agent had a messenger bag, and the first thing I thought of was that's Jack Bauer's bag.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
I have a confession guys. I can't seem to beat EW on Classic Ironman. I'm going have to drop back to Classic until I see all the missions/monsters. I'm sorry. :(

Out of curiosity, what's the general verdict on the value of live captures these days with the tech rebalances?

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Man, my 2 Heavy, 3 Support, 1 Assault team was handling Gangplank pretty well until the first Cyberdisk of the game hovered through a door and critically wounded my Major Support. Save for a couple lone Chrisallyds, Muton and Sectoids, it was almost nothing but Thin Men. Training Roulette graced my Major Support with Lightning Reflexes, and I really leaned on her to deal with the Thin Men and their endless patience for Overwatching.

Are preactivated Cyberdisks an addition to EW or just a frustrating bug?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brackhar posted:

I have a confession guys. I can't seem to beat EW on Classic Ironman. I'm going have to drop back to Classic until I see all the missions/monsters. I'm sorry. :(

Out of curiosity, what's the general verdict on the value of live captures these days with the tech rebalances?

I don't really think it's a matter of being unable to if you can beat regular Classic. Ironman's biggest challenge is not running into a game-breaking bug.

Live captures are worth it if you can pull it off but I don't think they're genuinely worth going out of your way for unless you need to build up your Plasma Rifle reserves. By the time you can pull them off reliably you're over the 'hump' where dedicating time to research is less of an issue.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Welp, finally beat EW on Classic Ironman. The Volunteer ended up being my ridiculously mobile Sprinter/drat Good Ground Heavy with jumpy-legs genemod, Colonel Cynthia 'Flash' Gordon, and the Ethereal Commander was downed in a single round by a double-tap Sniper and some lucky criticals.

I don't think I can ever go back to playing the game without Training Roulette. Now, to give the game a try with some of these new Second Wave options...

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO
Is it worth picking up slingshot and the elite soldier pack? I kinda like the decorative additions. Also, do they only apply after starting a new game or can pre-existing saves start using the DLC immediately? I already have EW.

Made a fool of myself on an abduction mission. 3 mutons hiding behind a small storage building, a wall between my units and the mutons. My units are surrounding the building as well, with cover. I didn't want to give them a chance to fire, so I bring my heavy up and luckily I can launch a rocket directly at the wall and it will damage the mutons. So I go ahead and launch the rocket. Little did I realize there were gas canisters inside the building, and one of those 2x2 gas tanks that my other heavy was using as cover, and they all subsequently blew up and destroyed all cover my units had, PLUS 6 damage to all 6 of my squaddies. Whoops.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kodo posted:

Is it worth picking up slingshot and the elite soldier pack? I kinda like the decorative additions. Also, do they only apply after starting a new game or can pre-existing saves start using the DLC immediately? I already have EW.

Made a fool of myself on an abduction mission. 3 mutons hiding behind a small storage building, a wall between my units and the mutons. My units are surrounding the building as well, with cover. I didn't want to give them a chance to fire, so I bring my heavy up and luckily I can launch a rocket directly at the wall and it will damage the mutons. So I go ahead and launch the rocket. Little did I realize there were gas canisters inside the building, and one of those 2x2 gas tanks that my other heavy was using as cover, and they all subsequently blew up and destroyed all cover my units had, PLUS 6 damage to all 6 of my squaddies. Whoops.

Slingshot is not really a fun mission set and it is borderline cheating if you complete it. The cosmetic additions are nice but they would have to be your primary reason to pick it up. (Steam sales are going on so wait and see if it shows up there.) Elite Soldier pack is a fun addition but, again, pick it up on sale. It's not worth much.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

ImpAtom posted:

Live captures are worth it if you can pull it off but I don't think they're genuinely worth going out of your way for unless you need to build up your Plasma Rifle reserves. By the time you can pull them off reliably you're over the 'hump' where dedicating time to research is less of an issue.
If you flashbang and suppress the last enemy of a squad, you can basically charge your stunner up to him in the goddamn open. Between the two penalties it's -80 to Aim. Even Thin Men have a nonexistant chance of hitting you, and panicked/last man standing aliens seem to respect suppression the way they used to respect being flanked/overwatched (they overwhelmingly choose to hunker down if they're in cover in my experience).

The trick of it is that it now requires minimum 2, preferably 3 soldiers to really pull off an effective capture. One to flashbang, one to suppress, one to close and stun. You also really do not want to be doing this on anyone except the last alien in a squad, but that's not exactly anything new so whatever.

My preferred tech order at this point honestly is to go Alien Biology -> Alien Containment -> Experimental Warfare. Then I'll start researching weapon fragments and hope that I have a Sectoid interrogated by the time that completes, which I'll admit doesn't happen often.

Kodo posted:

If you like the GI Joe dressup you really can't go wrong with those 2 DLCs. Slingshot is hit or miss for different people, mostly miss it feels like. You can totally use the dress-up portions of it immediately, but to get the missions you'd probably have to start a new game.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Both Slingshot and Progeny are cool for like a first-time Normal playthrough, imo. EU/EW has this need to spoonfeed you a story despite that being the exact opposite of what the original was all about, but they don't exactly fail at it (thanks to whoever did the music, really) and if you want to experience it you should definitely include those options in your playthrough. The missions themselves get old after you've done them 100 times but they do give a ton of free poo poo and some exciting moments so it's not all bad.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Slingshot gave me berets with sunglasses for when my dudes jump down from a skylight and start wrecking aliens and traitors.

Basically what I'm saying is that it was worth every drat penny at full price.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Coolguye posted:

If you flashbang and suppress the last enemy of a squad, you can basically charge your stunner up to him in the goddamn open. Between the two penalties it's -80 to Aim. Even Thin Men have a nonexistant chance of hitting you, and panicked/last man standing aliens seem to respect suppression the way they used to respect being flanked/overwatched (they overwhelmingly choose to hunker down if they're in cover in my experience).

Careful, Thin Men with -80 modifier still have like 40% aim at point blank range.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I like Slingshot and Progeny a lot, personally. I also like EXALT. There are definitely problems with them, and everyone highlighting the problems has not been wrong at all. Slingshot, however, is a really nice high risk/high reward gambit that you can run if you're feeling like a baller, with no downsides if you choose to ignore the opportunity. I also like EXALT because, like someone said, they end up being a good turkey shoot for low-skill soldiers. Functionally they're a nice break to get some experience on people you wouldn't normally bring along, and thematically it's outrageously satisfying to be able to duke it out with someone and win, instead of constantly relying on cheap tricks and traps to get poo poo done.

Don't get me wrong, I love my cheap tricks and traps, but the change of pace is not unwelcome.

amanasleep posted:

Careful, Thin Men with -80 modifier still have like 40% aim at point blank range.

If you're at point-blank, why haven't you stunned them yet? :v:

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Coolguye posted:

I like Slingshot and Progeny a lot, personally. I also like EXALT. There are definitely problems with them, and everyone highlighting the problems has not been wrong at all. Slingshot, however, is a really nice high risk/high reward gambit that you can run if you're feeling like a baller, with no downsides if you choose to ignore the opportunity. I also like EXALT because, like someone said, they end up being a good turkey shoot for low-skill soldiers. Functionally they're a nice break to get some experience on people you wouldn't normally bring along, and thematically it's outrageously satisfying to be able to duke it out with someone and win, instead of constantly relying on cheap tricks and traps to get poo poo done.

Don't get me wrong, I love my cheap tricks and traps, but the change of pace is not unwelcome.

If you're at point-blank, why haven't you stunned them yet? :v:

90% miss.

Just noting that you are still not safe to burn a turn on catastrophic miss.

To be really safe I drop a smoke grenade if my stun misses.

amanasleep fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 29, 2013

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

The Neal! posted:

Cheers, I'll keep on truckin.

Lost 3 good men and women on that drat mission that amounted to nothing. loving Thin men.

I did the last Progeny mission earlier and got 500 alloys and 300 elirium for my trouble. This was on normal.

(Or maybe it was 300 alloys and 500 elerium)

Edit - that was just the post mission hardcoded rewards. Still got regular mission loot , too.

Present fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Nov 29, 2013

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Do we have any idea what the % chance is for an alien who's been panicked by the flamethrower to continue panicking in their next turn? I've only had an alien live through the situation twice, once was a Muton who continued to panick and hunkered down on the next alien turn, once was, I believe, a chyssalid (I honestly don't remember) who definitely moved and attacked me the next turn. Is it based on will? Type of alien? Random chance?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Xcom, how is that a reaction shot?

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Windowed doors/cars allow Los...

In fact a lot of hard cover has gaps for Los. If you look closely you can usually tell but I have certainly lost my share to it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
RIP Lt. Janet 'Wildchild' Jackson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Like all problems in EW, failed stuns are solveable through Ghost Grenades, which you absolutely 100% must buy the second they become available and sell everything you need to sell to do it.

• Locked thread