Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

I think an issue like this transcends personal opinions of quality. Whether or not you like the work he did, he still has rights.

Also, it shows that this problem of the value of art is not just isolated to ignorant crowdfund campaigners. Spike Lee is an established filmmaker who worked his way up from independent film productions, in theory he should be more sympathetic to the issues of struggling artists.

It's very much like the whole Amanda Palmer fiasco. It's troubling because you can put the blame for people asking for free art (or advertising, or programming, etc.) on ignorance, what's Palmer's and Lee's excuses because they're artist themselves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I'm pretty sure Spike Lee didn't gently caress this guy himself, the agency that contacted him did. IIRC in that "letter" to Lee, the guy says that the agency even outright lied to Lee about the situation too.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Lee's response via Twitter was basically "not my problem"

quote:

I Never Heard Of This Guy Juan Luis Garcia,If He Has A Beef It's Not With Me.I Did Not Hire Him,Do Not Know Him.Cheap Trick Writing To Me.YO

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Young Freud posted:

It's very much like the whole Amanda Palmer fiasco. It's troubling because you can put the blame for people asking for free art (or advertising, or programming, etc.) on ignorance, what's Palmer's and Lee's excuses because they're artist themselves?

Unless more specific information comes out I'd be hesitant to wag the finger at Spike Lee about this.

Unless you're talking about a very small self-managed independent production (I'm talking, like, Beasts of the Southern Wild the-director-is-in-charge-of-literally-everything small), even a director with "complete creative control" isn't going to have oversight over every aspect of the processes involved in making, distributing, and marketing a film.

As far as the information out there is concerned, the only contact that Lee and the creative material in question had was that the promotional team showed him some spec posters and he liked/disliked some of them and made suggestions. That's it. He never met the guy and most likely didn't say to the marketing people "use this art but don't pay for it."

The studio system is organized in such a way where it generally isn't the director's job to make sure that the marketing team is compensating freelance artists properly.

The Amanda Palmer situation is different because we're talking about a much smaller degree of separation between the aggrieved parties and the management. Amanda literally made the decision to not pay the musicians. I really don't think the same can be said about Spike Lee and the guy who's posters the marketing team used.

Edit: Beaten

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

TTBF posted:

Lee's response via Twitter was basically "not my problem"

quote:

I Never Heard Of This Guy Juan Luis Garcia,If He Has A Beef It's Not With Me.I Did Not Hire Him,Do Not Know Him.Cheap Trick Writing To Me.YO
This, on the other hand, is something Lee can get hosed for. And I'm not just talking about the Every World Is Capitalized poo poo either.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
man... spike lee? his "joints" are the only ones i won't hit. because of his unfair treatment of poster artists

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

TetsuoTW posted:

This, on the other hand, is something Lee can get hosed for. And I'm not just talking about the Every World Is Capitalized poo poo either.

Yeah, I wouldn't have said or be mad about anything unless I read this before. This has pretty much cemented Lee from "I'm willing to forgive your arguments with other filmmakers and such because you're a controversial dude" into "get hosed forever".

There's speculation in the Movie Posters thread is that this poo poo was done in-house, i.e. Forty Acres And A Mule Productions, and not some ad/marketing agency that specializes in movie posters (like the one fellow goon kiimo works at, although kiimo says Garcia might have been contracted with his company before).

If it was done in-house, that makes it even more skeezy on Lee's part.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I'm pretty sure I remember him posting the concept posters on his blog or something. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Those concept posters were never paid for? I don't know the guy, not my problem. Did you like them, by the way? See my film!

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Those Concept Posters Were Never Paid For? I Don't Know The Guy, Not My Problem. Did You Like Them, By The Way? See My Film!

Fixed that for you.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FlyinPingu posted:

Fixed that for you.

I know there's a way you can set a phone to text like that, but you know, just know, that that's how Spike Lee writes.

Also, it's unnamed, but apparently the agency that contracted Juan Luis Garcia was Spike Lee's own agency, Spike DDB. He wrote the open letter when Lee posted those designs on his Facebook account.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Young Freud posted:

I know there's a way you can set a phone to text like that, but you know, just know, that that's how Spike Lee writes.

Also, it's unnamed, but apparently the agency that contracted Juan Luis Garcia was Spike Lee's own agency, Spike DDB. He wrote the open letter when Lee posted those designs on his Facebook account.

No no, that's a different Spike, see. Like Spike TV Spike. That Spike hired him. He's got beef with Spike, he should take it up with that Spike.

But seriously, that's really funny. It's not Spike Lee's responsibility unless he's done the contracting personally. Not even if the goddamn contracting company carries his name.

And if he didn't know the specifics, maybe he should've made a single call and found out this info himself.

Dissapointed Owl has a new favorite as of 09:07 on Nov 29, 2013

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Get your credit cards ready guys, Doobies Doghouse will soon be running another Kickstarter.

quote:

We'll I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving day with family and friends .. Monday and tues of next week I do the classes and take my test for my license.. from the health dept... Wish me luck.... Also on a side note... I'm thinking of doing another KS campaign.. Just a short one to raise money to install this blasted vent hood.. If u can help that be wonderful.. If not that is fine too.. I'm working on a loan to get it installed. But it is taking too long... I need to move forward instead of sitting idle waiting.. It's all I have left to do before putting the finishing touches on the restaurant .. Like paint, and counter top.. And flooring.. Which is already paid for ...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tears In A Vial posted:

Get your credit cards ready guys, Doobies Doghouse will soon be running another Kickstarter.

Quick get Sound Monkey to ironically tell us to give thousands upon thousands ha ha what a great joke

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
The Doobie dream will never die.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Tears In A Vial posted:

Hang on a minute: all he needs to pay for is the vent hood? From what he'd been saying after his last Kickstarter I thought that all his plans had completely gone to hell and it was all our fault for "giving him too much money :qq:"

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

Tears In A Vial posted:

cool

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Tears In A Vial posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhhSd9q_wZk

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
A poo poo game that tried way too hard to be a wacky meme and was so bad it got pulled from Steam needs your help to make the sequel that absolutely nobody asked for.

lmao soooo wacky, take that casuals :iamafag:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I assume that they included this as an endorsement of how ~wacky~ the game is,

but it really just makes a lovely KickStarter look worse.

Plus an unironic "your mom" joke in tyool 2013.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Apparently "brutal mutilation" now means "hasty photoshop". Stalin would be ashamed.

Someone on these very forums has actually done a Let's Play of the original game if you want to see firsthand how completely awful the original was why you should totes back this waaaaaacky followup! Extremely dated internet reference goes here! Rape joke!

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
There should be some way to make an anti-donation. If I could pay money to not just passively ignore this bullshit but to actively hurt these people via electric shock or financial ruin or something, I would pay it a thousand times over.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I found a thing and i have no idea what the gently caress:

Six Secrets to Happily and the Zen of Happily Chair Kit Sex

Their page is incredibly long and packed with nonsense and I can't figure out if the person behind it is genuinely insane or if it's some sort of ironic insanity.

And for balance, here's a more mundane lovely kickstarter: Autocorrect Epic Fail Playing Cards. Every one of their 'epic fails' looks like it's come from the Fake Autocorrects thread that was in GBS a while ago and is completely cringe-inducing.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

cyberia posted:

I found a thing and i have no idea what the gently caress:

Six Secrets to Happily and the Zen of Happily Chair Kit Sex

Their page is incredibly long and packed with nonsense and I can't figure out if the person behind it is genuinely insane or if it's some sort of ironic insanity.

And for balance, here's a more mundane lovely kickstarter: Autocorrect Epic Fail Playing Cards. Every one of their 'epic fails' looks like it's come from the Fake Autocorrects thread that was in GBS a while ago and is completely cringe-inducing.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

cyberia posted:

nd for balance, here's a more mundane lovely kickstarter: Autocorrect Epic Fail Playing Cards. Every one of their 'epic fails' looks like it's come from the Fake Autocorrects thread that was in GBS a while ago and is completely cringe-inducing.

That just screams cash-in. No connection from the developer to either of the things they're combining, no explanation why it even improves on either autocorrect websites or playing cards, or what the point of mixing them is. I'm willing to bet any product development was along the lines of "autocorrect is popular, right? How can we make money out of it? Playing cards!" with absolutely no thought towards the final product. Why would you want terrible throwaway jokes on a product that is intended for repeated use? I can't believe they've made such a basic product so much worse as well; the last thing you want on a playing card is the central icon replaced with anything, never mind text that looks identical on every card.

The Supreme Court has a new favorite as of 12:18 on Nov 30, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Supreme Court posted:

That just screams cash-in.

This is actually their third Kickstarter project . Their first project was a horrible failure which didn't even raise 5% of its goal.

Their second project was nearly 1000% successful and was completed and sent out ahead of schedule but it was a reworking of a game they'd previously published (the reviews were pretty average but it looks like they actually put a fair amount of work into the retooling for the new version) and they'd set their goal really super low and their final pledge amount of $2,169 was chickenfeed. It also looks like they were going to reissue the game regardless of whether the Kickstarter campaign was successful or not so this KS project was super low risk, especially compared to their high risk first project.

I get the impression that these guys are just throwing poo poo at the KS wall and seeing what'll stick. After making a legitimate first attempt at a game project they're now testing the waters to see how much money they can rake in with as little effort as possible.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

quote:

Two aspiring American rappers said Saturday that they had filmed part of a music video in North Korea, hoping the novel locale will make a hit.

The rappers known as Pacman and Peso did not say where and how they filmed the footage, which their fundraising proposal suggested would be done on a karaoke party bus in Pyongyang.

Their custom trip was arranged through a travel agency specializing in taking Westerners to North Korea, according to the proposal.

Americans are able to travel to North Korea on arranged tours and are constantly accompanied by North Korea minders.

After an elderly American was detained in the country, the U.S. State Department issued a travel warning on Nov. 19, advising against all travel by U.S. citizens to North Korea.

The two rappers said their trip shied away from politics.

"I mean we did not go there to be political. We just go down there to shoot our video and that about the reason why we went, not political," said Pacman - whose real name is Anthony Bobb.

The duo from the Washington area spoke to reporters at an airport in Beijing upon their return from a five-day trip to North Korea.

"Nobody shot a video in North Korea, let alone thought of it. Nobody even thought of making a video in North Korea. You know what I'm saying?" said Peso, whose real name is Dontray Ennis.

They raised more than $10,000 on the crowdsourcing site Kickstarter to fund their trip.

The rappers said the unusual move could jumpstart their music careers. They hope to release the video next month.

North Korea has detained at least six Americans since 2009, including journalists accused of trespassing and others accused of trying to spread Christianity. North Korea state media claimed Saturday that 85-year-old Korean War veteran Merrill Newman had apologized for committing "hostile acts" against the state during a trip in October, but the report could not be independently verified.

The rappers said they encountered no problem while in North Korea. "They treated us well, like I was sick out there for good two days and they took care of me until I got over the sickness," Peso said.

http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_307136/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=OGDAW8c2

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
North Korea has pretty strict rules as to what can and cannot be filmed within their country. For instance, if you want to take a photo of a statue of Kim Il-Sung, you have to take it from a specific spot at a specific angle. Before you leave, North Korean guards confiscate your cameras, look over anything you shot or filmed, and delete anything they find objectionable, especially if you're an American.

Not saying they won't be able to film whatever they want there, just saying I wouldn't be surprised if what footage they capture gets deleted. If I were to do it, I'd take several shots in hopes that some wouldn't get deleted, and try my best to work with the minders to get acceptable footage. But I wouldn't do it because I'm not some jerk capitalizing on a bad situation.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Brian Griffin Memorial Statue in Providence

This speaks for itself, really.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
Did the RoboCop statue ever happen?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

burritolingus posted:

Did the RoboCop statue ever happen?

It'll be installed and unveiled next Summer
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/25/detroit-robocop-statue_n_3991275.html

quote:

I've set the target sum to accomplish this at $10,000. Based on the initial figures I've been able to pull together, this seems like a reasonable amount to cover all the costs.

quote:

Flexible Funding

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

burritolingus posted:

Not saying they won't be able to film whatever they want there, just saying I wouldn't be surprised if what footage they capture gets deleted. If I were to do it, I'd take several shots in hopes that some wouldn't get deleted, and try my best to work with the minders to get acceptable footage. But I wouldn't do it because I'm not some jerk capitalizing on a bad situation.
They've already been. That article discussed their trip in the past tense. So either they've already filmed or they're full of poo poo. Or both.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

TetsuoTW posted:

They've already been. That article discussed their trip in the past tense. So either they've already filmed or they're full of poo poo. Or both.

Either they went and their footage was confiscated, or they just went on the government approved tour and didn't film anything, just to say they went. My money's on them filming something that looks like it was on site, right down to paying South Koreans to hang around.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Elysiume posted:

I assume that they included this as an endorsement of how ~wacky~ the game is,

but it really just makes a lovely KickStarter look worse.

Plus an unironic "your mom" joke in tyool 2013.

What is it about bad Kickstarters that think including an "endorsement" that is obviously not an endorsement is a good idea? I made fun of a really terrible, racist, and sexist board game on Reddit last week and the guy running it replied to me, proceeded to argue with me about how wrong I was and how I just "don't get jokes", then used my quote to promote his kickstarter. Then told me I was ruining his life by criticizing his board game. Then proceeded to delete every comment he ever made on Reddit.

The best part is when I sent him a message on Kickstarter asking him to remove my quote and my internet name from his Kickstarter, he made a passive aggressive threat to use my real name since he now had that. Of course when I called him on it and told him I was reporting his project for abuse, he told me once again that it was just a joke and he wasn't actually threatening me. Really. He swears. Why do I keep ruining his life? Fortunately, he did remove my name. Also, fortunately, there's no way in hell this game is actually being made.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/423544014/imba-a-board-game-by-poison-tip-games?ref=live

He actually did, apparently, take some of my criticism to heart because he's apparently removed the literal tentacle rape monster (or at least not advertising it as a feature of his game anymore), complete with school girl raping powers from his game. Unfortunately he still has the gay joke archer and the totally not sexist zombie mom and the totally not racist pimp.

My favorite part of this terrible Kickstarter is that he really should have listened to his mother. She seems like a smart woman, and obviously tried to warn him about how terrible and not funny he is. It's a shame he didn't listen, and instead used her anti-endorsement on his page as well.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Frozen-Solid posted:

What is it about bad Kickstarters that think including an "endorsement" that is obviously not an endorsement is a good idea?

Thing is, if your game is called Stalin vs. Martians IV then the fact that it's a sequel to SvsM is the biggest anti-endorsement that you can get. If they want to fund that thing through crowdsourcing then they can't really avoid adressing the issue that the entire franchise is a worthless dog turd "but this time it'll be different, we promise!"

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Ever Jane, the Jane Austen MMO has met its funding goal of $100,000.

What?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Ville Valo posted:

What?

Are we really going to poo poo all over an attempt to do something with a legitimately unique concept, in a world where everything triple-A is yearly sequels and zero innovation?

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

DStecks posted:

Are we really going to poo poo all over an attempt to do something with a legitimately unique concept, in a world where everything triple-A is yearly sequels and zero innovation?

Sure, it's a neat concept, but I already know exactly what the playerbase is going to be like: endlessly fighting over what truly fits the setting in between bouts of hardcore Victorian era erotic role-play.

It happens in World of Warcraft, and yet somehow I get the distinct impression the literary aspect, on top of being a purely social RPG, is going to make it a thousand times worse.

edit: make that a million.

Anoia has a new favorite as of 22:19 on Dec 3, 2013

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

DStecks posted:

There's nothing innovative about it besides the lovely setting. It's paperdoll character dress up, fetch quests and profession gathering sans combat.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Ville Valo posted:

What?

I'm not sure why anyone finds this surprising. Austen fans are pretty rabid. Have you honestly not noticed the ridiculous amount of spin offs published this past decade? You can't take two steps in a bookstore without tripping over The New and Slightly Porny Adventures of Lizzy & Darcy's Second Cousin Betsy. There's been several films in the last few years as well, like Austenland, Lost in Austen, Jane Austen Book Club, etc. Apparently it all does well enough that more stuff keeps getting made.

Honestly, I'm only surprised nobody tried to cash in this way sooner.

(edited because I can never spell 'Austen' properly.)

FoxTerrier has a new favorite as of 23:17 on Dec 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Glippets: The Animated Series! It's like Garfield with aliens, but actually way, way worse in every way.

The pitch video is really OUT OF THIS WORLD. I'd also like to point out Michelle's downright Freudian head and eyes.