Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

cat doter posted:

And I gather the active adapters are expensive rather than $2 little doohickeys? This is what happens when you buy cheap TVs with overscan on every resolution folks.
Are you sure it's every resolution? If it's a 720p TV with 1366*768 panel then you might be able to output that res (or close eg 1360*768) and you may find that overscan is absent (because that's the res those TVs typically run VGA at, hell my TV calls that resolution "VGA" regardless of which input I am using).

Another option is to adjust your vidcards overscan settings - basically the card will output a black border around the image, and you adjust it such that your TV crops only the border (returning your image it back to normal).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Any good deals on video cards for Black Friday?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Fuzz1111 posted:

Are you sure it's every resolution? If it's a 720p TV with 1366*768 panel then you might be able to output that res (or close eg 1360*768) and you may find that overscan is absent (because that's the res those TVs typically run VGA at, hell my TV calls that resolution "VGA" regardless of which input I am using).

Another option is to adjust your vidcards overscan settings - basically the card will output a black border around the image, and you adjust it such that your TV crops only the border (returning your image it back to normal).

This takes a little explaining, but basically since it's such a cheap poo poo TV, at least on my nvidia card there was overscan on every resolution, and the native resolution was reported as 720p, even though it's a 1080p screen. Even on its supposed native resolution there was a hideous amount of overscan and using the nvidia options to reduce the overscan was literally just reducing the resolution to fit the screen, so you'd have like 1136x650 or something weird if you set it to 720p. Forcing it to 1080p would have similar amounts of overscan and there's no manual 1:1 pixel mapping option on the TV at all, so it's up to the video card/EDID to figure out what the gently caress is going on. The only way to circumvent this is to connect the display via VGA and create a 1920x1080 resolution manually which while not perfect, fixed the problem well enough for basically anyone but the most fastidious viewer.

Now since the VGA converters I have are useless, I have to use HDMI again, but strangely enough this AMD card seems to handle display resolutions on TVs with overscan/underscan a little differently and it looks WAY better than the same TV did on an Nvidia card. But, there's some residual blurriness that I can't seem to fix, especially with white text on black backgrounds. It seems the picture is slightly off by a few pixels horizontally but there doesn't seem to be an option in the AMD control panel to move the picture around and try to clear it up.

Basically my dream solution to this problem is to somehow edit the EDID manually and magically have just a 1080p resolution with absolutely no reported overscan or underscan and I could finally have a clear loving picture on this piece of poo poo TV. I wish I could afford something better.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

fletcher posted:

Any good deals on video cards for Black Friday?

NCIX had a Powercolor 7970 for $230 ($210 AR), but that is unsurprisingly sold out.

Newegg has a MSI 2GB GTX 770 for $295 ($280 AR). They also had another MSI 770 with a custom cooler for $5 more, but that is sold out.

NCIX has a Zotac GTX 780 for $450. That is the best price I've seen on a 780, and I'm tempted to pick one up. Probably overkill for 1200p gaming, but I could always get one of those ASUS VG248QE's and a G-Sync module when they come out and not let all of those extra frames go to waste...

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I just installed a Radeon 7970 in my PC and when I play a game I get these lines across the screen - lines of lesser and greater brightness. They don't obscure the game but they're a little distracting. They only appear when I play a 3D game like Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty. When I'm browsing the web I get no problems.

My monitor uses a VGA adapter (blue-to-white). It operates at 60Hz

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thinking of finally checking out team Red with these new releases. I have a GTX 680 and since I'm gaming at 1080p I think I'll just be moving to the R9 280X instead of the 290X. Won't be 3D gaming anymore after this, but my experiences with the Oculus Rift had me basically tossing my glasses in the trash anyway. That tech is dead. Having trouble finding benchmarks that even mention the 680 anymore... didn't know it fell out of favor that quickly! Just looking for more solid frames in Battlefield 4, though I am interested to see what comes of Mantle in terms of cross platform ports down the line. I already have a dedicated sound card (ASUS Xonar Essence STX) that I use with a pair of Sennheiser HD 800s. I am still reading up on what the new audio technology on these cards is supposed to be, but it looks like it is just a way to let developers assign the work to that dedicated audio part of the card. I'd still be using the Xonar in the end, afaik.

Edit: It seems that the 280X doesn't actually have that True Audio feature, anyway? How random...

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 29, 2013

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Thinking of finally checking out team Red with these new releases. I have a GTX 680 and since I'm gaming at 1080p I think I'll just be moving to the R9 280X instead of the 290X. Won't be 3D gaming anymore after this, but my experiences with the Oculus Rift had me basically tossing my glasses in the trash anyway. That tech is dead. Having trouble finding benchmarks that even mention the 680 anymore... didn't know it fell out of favor that quickly! Just looking for more solid frames in Battlefield 4, though I am interested to see what comes of Mantle in terms of cross platform ports down the line. I already have a dedicated sound card (ASUS Xonar Essence STX) that I use with a pair of Sennheiser HD 800s. I am still reading up on what the new audio technology on these cards is supposed to be, but it looks like it is just a way to let developers assign the work to that dedicated audio part of the card. I'd still be using the Xonar in the end, afaik.

But an R9 280X is almost identical in performance to the 680. Maybe Mantle will help your FPS in BF4, but so would a minor overclock on the 680. The 680 will have that G-Sync support pretty soon too. I don't think it would be prudent to drop $300 for the 280X and then have to sell the 680 at a loss for what won't amount to a vast improvement.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I knew it was a rebadge of the higher end 7000 series but wasn't aware the performance was that close. Thanks for the heads up! Looks like a 290X would make more sense, then. Half the cost of a titan... what a crazy world we live in.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Only one person has shown interest in a single of my 760s, goddamn you black friday!

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

I knew it was a rebadge of the higher end 7000 series but wasn't aware the performance was that close. Thanks for the heads up! Looks like a 290X would make more sense, then. Half the cost of a titan... what a crazy world we live in.

The 290 in general makes a lot more sense than the 290x - the performance difference between the two in no way justifies the $100 price difference.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

There's been a bunch of people in this thread who have managed to buy an R9 290 non-X and then flash the BIOS to get a 290X, you should read up on it. Certain revisions of cards can do this so you're playing a lottery for a free $100 in extra performance.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Woah, will do. If I could get lucky that would be a monstrous value...

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
Not sure how late I am on this, but Newegg is carrying the Gigabyte GTX 780 Ghz edition now.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125488

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

nnngggg, someone talk me out of veedubing my setup with a homebrew external radiator.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

deimos posted:

nnngggg, someone talk me out of veedubing my setup with a homebrew external radiator.

Bury a geothermal loop instead, much better, more environmentally friendly.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Factory Factory posted:

Bury a geothermal loop instead, much better, more environmentally friendly.

Until you take the electricity prices from the monster pump I'd need for all that head pressure into account!

(Don't think I haven't looked into it)

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Blanket your property in solar panels and refine biodiesel in the garage. Come on, man, you're leaving hertz on the table.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

deimos posted:

Until you take the electricity prices from the monster pump I'd need for all that head pressure into account!

(Don't think I haven't looked into it)

Couldn't you use the heat pressure from the geo-thermal vent?

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

There's been a bunch of people in this thread who have managed to buy an R9 290 non-X and then flash the BIOS to get a 290X, you should read up on it. Certain revisions of cards can do this so you're playing a lottery for a free $100 in extra performance.

Any idea on what those revisions are and where to find them?

yanthrax
Oct 18, 2004

straight in wit da barney rubble ridin spinnaz
So I posted a few pages back about the strange issue with games running like poo poo when I move them onto my secondary display. I have matching 23" ASUS monitors, connected to a 770GTX so it shouldn't be an inadequate GPU. I confirmed today that it has to do with refresh rates when I ran League of Legends and moved it over to the second monitor, and turned on vertical sync: my FPS counter sat locked at 30.

Is this standard behavior for dual displays on Nvidia GPUs? Both my Windows Display and Nvidia settings all state that both displays are set to 60Hz, so this is really baffling me. Is there any sort of way I can force a refresh rate on the second monitor just to test if that fixes my problem.

Edit: Disabled Desktop Windows Manager, game runs at 60fps on second screen.

Edit 2: Turns out the root of the cause is Transparency. If it's disabled, I don't get any performance issues. Is there any way to still keep it without the annoying 30hz issue?

Edit 3: Ended up fixing it with a few registry keys. I don't know why other people don't have this problem, or haven't noticed it but after 6 months of thinking all my problems were the result of my Nvidia card, I can now safely say "eat a dick, Windows".

yanthrax fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 29, 2013

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

nrr posted:

Any idea on what those revisions are and where to find them?

http://www.overclock.net/t/1443242/the-r9-290-290x-unlock-thread

Can also hit the "?" under my avatar.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Yeah, thanks. That only really tells you how to find out if the card you have is going to unlock, it seems like it's a bit of a crapshoot if you're looking for which one to buy.

Welp, I picked up the Powercolor AXR9 290 and I'll see what happens I guess. I don't know what the AX on the front means but looking on the Powercolor website, it's the only one they're offering so I guess I'm either in the pool or they yoinked the one that was unlocking and replaced it with this. Either way I got a pretty damned good card but now we get to play the waiting game.

I hate the waiting game.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

VorpalFish posted:

The 290 in general makes a lot more sense than the 290x - the performance difference between the two in no way justifies the $100 price difference.

Well the 670 and 680 had similar performance gap. Consumers in this end will drop the extra $100 no matter how much we bang on the drum that its a waste of money.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

This post has utilities and better ways of finding out compatibility, my V 1.1 XFX flashed! WOO http://www.overclock.net/t/1443242/the-r9-290-290x-unlock-thread/610#post_21243519

edit for XFX 290 goodness: http://imgur.com/a/1EdJA

deimos fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 30, 2013

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai
Well, just got my refund for the Xtreme III, and I decided to look on Amazon instead of Newegg for an Antec 620 out of curiosity, and it's currently $63 or less (vs. the $100 Newegg wants for it).

WELL SHIEEEET. Guess I'm going for "The Mod" after all. Just need to get some decent heatsinks and thermal tape.

Actually... maybe not. The cooler itself is cheap, but goddamn are those heatsinks pricey and really add on to the cost.

Rahu X fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 30, 2013

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

get a Kraken G10? $92 for a hybrid cooler is extremely good.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I just installed a Radeon 7970 in my PC and when I play a game I get these lines across the screen - lines of lesser and greater brightness. They don't obscure the game but they're a little distracting. They only appear when I play a 3D game like Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty. When I'm browsing the web I get no problems.

My monitor uses a VGA-to-DVI adapter (blue-to-white). It operates at 60Hz.

When I use Linux, I have a different problem. The games do not display the lines of varying brightness, but they run VERY slowly. Unplayably slow.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Nov 30, 2013

wasp_f15ing
Feb 27, 2004

For once you must try not to shirk the facts: mankind is kept alive by bestial acts
I got a slick deal on a EVGA 780ti over the consumerism weekend..
What are safe / stable OCs for this bad boy.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

wasp_f15ing posted:

I got a slick deal on a EVGA 780ti over the consumerism weekend..
What are safe / stable OCs for this bad boy.

Any overclock you do with the stock BIOS is safe, even with the voltage bar maxed. Stable is something you need to discover yourself. Increase the core clock until you get instability, then increase the voltage, and then increase the core clock until you become unstable again. Repeat until you max the voltage and cannot get a higher stable clock. Then work on the memory, it is of a lower priority. Once you stress test it for as long as you need to reassure yourself at the highest stable clocks, save the overclock and forget about it :D.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

deimos posted:

The Kraken G10 is just a $30 bracket+fan that you can mount a list of closed-loop coolers on, you'd have to buy the cooler itself separately.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

deimos posted:

This post has utilities and better ways of finding out compatibility, my V 1.1 XFX flashed! WOO http://www.overclock.net/t/1443242/the-r9-290-290x-unlock-thread/610#post_21243519

edit for XFX 290 goodness: http://imgur.com/a/1EdJA

Welcome to team awesome, fellow flasher.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

The Kraken G10 is just a $30 bracket+fan that you can mount a list of closed-loop coolers on, you'd have to buy the cooler itself separately.

Yeah, no poo poo, and it's $30 which when you add $62 it's $92.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

deimos posted:

Yeah, no poo poo, and it's $30 which when you add $62 it's $92.

People have a choice as to whether they'd want a different-brand or higher-model cooler to attach to it. Ergo, total price can be variable, or if you already have one of the coolers compatible with it, just $30. I just wanna be Captain Obvious to clarify for those who don't browse tech sites as often, gawrsh--coincidentally, its fan is also a proprietary 92mm fan, which is also where I thought you got that number from.

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai

deimos posted:

Seems decent, but at the same time, very lacking. The bracket package itself only seems to be just the bracket, and does not include heatsinks for some of the memory and especially the VRMs in the back (the ones that are believed to spike up fast). It also essentially makes the card 3 slots, whereas just tying an Antec 620 to the GPU and throwing on some heatsinks still keeps it a 2 slot.

I think I'll just look around for some less expensive mosfet sinks. Those are the ones that are mostly killing me on the price. The Enzotechs are so expensive, but they're the only ones that appear to be small enough to fit the VRMs in the back.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

People have a choice as to whether they'd want a different-brand or higher-model cooler to attach to it. Ergo, total price can be variable, or if you already have one of the coolers compatible with it, just $30. I just wanna be Captain Obvious to clarify for those who don't browse tech sites as often, gawrsh--coincidentally, its fan is also a proprietary 92mm fan, which is also where I thought you got that number from.

The G10 comes with the fan, it really is just a bracket with a fan for compatible asetek AIOs, seems like a decent price for what you get. Not sure how the 92mm fan is proprietary, seems like a standard 92mmx25mm

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

deimos posted:

The G10 comes with the fan, it really is just a bracket with a fan for compatible asetek AIOs, seems like a decent price for what you get. Not sure how the 92mm fan is proprietary, seems like a standard 92mmx25mm

Rahu X isn't interested and I shouldn't have used that word, what else do you want from me :suicide:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

El Scotch posted:

Welcome to team awesome, fellow flasher.

Easy Peasy 1100/1350 overclock too with the poo poo cooler, loud as hell but I don't care because it doesn't go through my sealed cans enough to intrude. Although I'll be changing it up soon I still need to figure out what changing it up means.

Rahu X isn't interested and I shouldn't have used that word, what else do you want from me :suicide:

It was an honest question (the fan).

deimos fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 30, 2013

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

-Malaysian King Kai

It's not so much that I'm not interested, it's just that without any other accessories, it seems rather pointless for the price.

That being said, I think I'm just going to forget about the VRAM heatsinks for now and perhaps get them at a later date. VRAM doesn't get all that hot anyway, and the VRMs are MUCH more important to cool properly.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
VRAM isn't heatsinked in reference and semicustom cooled cards, is it? Just cooled by airflow through the heatsink generally. I think the 92mm fan would go a long way to accomplishing the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I've never tried to overclock a gpu before, am I going to need to buy some sort of cooling if I flash this r9 290 to a 290x?