Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Top Gym Pumper posted:

I played Chex Quest today for the first time since it came out and it was pretty sweet. Are there any good map packs that work with it?

I don't know about any Chex Quest maps, but the weapons of Chex Quest can be easily used in any map wads that don't have gameplay changes just by also loading the Samsara mod. It has separate weaponpacks of various early FPSes like Chex Quest, Heretic, Marathon, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The "Chex Quest community" has mostly just adapted existing doom maps to fit into chex quest graphics/monster set.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
There was actually a decent DM mod for chex. The maps were cool, and they added in chex quest versions of the Skulltag weapons.
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=27666

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

I feel like posting Andrew Hulshult's latest doom music because I think it's really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL387flPi9Q

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Those tracks are amazing, but holy poo poo does that new artwork on the left suck.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's from here.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Finished the Duke Nukem Forever mod today. I enjoyed it, but there were several parts I got lost in and some of the new enemies felt a bit too tough, plus some levels shook way too much.

Started on the DLC maps that just came out, on the second of three maps. The first map... isn't very good. I has some good set pieces, but the game play just isn't very fun. As far as the second, it's a motorcycle level, and I wasn't terribly fond of the motorcycle in the main bit, so I'm already a bit disappointed there. I hope the third level is amazing.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Not sure why I didn't just post this here earlier since I'd imagine there would be some people here who would be interested but about a month ago in the Old School RPG/Thief threads I posted about how I converted a level of Ultima Underworld from an ancient level viewer into Blender and then into the Dark Mod. So after posting that I got my thinking cap on cutting the middle man out and writing a program to do the job for me. I've been documenting my progress and sharing my code in this thread over the Dark Mod forums and I've made some decent progress on it and I now have a basic tool that can convert Ultima Underworld 1/2/Demo maps with some minor kinks into DarkMod/Doom3(untested) compatible .map files. As a bonus to all of that as of today I have added very basic System Shock 1 support.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Hank Morgan posted:

Not sure why I didn't just post this here earlier...

Holy poo poo, that's cool.

Finished the DLC maps. The first thing I met in the third map was a window that enemies could shoot through but I couldn't.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

toasterwarrior posted:

One hell of a Guns 'N Roses situation we had with id Software, and now even Axl Rose has left the building.

(for the record, Carmack is more Slash than Axl, but you know what I mean)

John Romero was Axl. :ssh:

And Daikatana was Chinese Democracy.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

JackMackerel posted:

On top of that, publishers (especially 2K and Ubisoft) hate modding, for some reason,
I imagine the poo poo Rockstar got in for the Hot Coffee mod has something to do with that (even though that case has little to do with the publisher supporting modding or not).

wa27 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 26, 2013

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Alien Vendetta only started kicking my rear end at Map 28 on HMP. It has inspired me to get to this level though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3WWle7eeLY

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

JackMackerel posted:

On top of that, publishers (especially 2K and Ubisoft) hate modding, for some reason, and modders tend to be scattered all over the place. I've seen people take commissions just to port over certain models to Source for Gmod or CS:S. And now not a lot of people can afford a monster rig to model, which is why there's too many lovely reskins everywhere.
It's probably because it's a lot harder nowadays than just dumping the editor EXE and some vague documentation into a zip file. Everything's tied into propietary or expensive tools and everything breaks when you try to separate it for public use. Even some of Valve's mod tools scream shrilly about not being able to connect to Valve's internal Perforce server.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

So here's an interesting gameplay mod I found through The Goddamn Doomguy on Tumblr: Fractal Doom

It has some of the typical weapon modifications we're familiar with (dual pistols, faster rockets, etc.), but the mod gets it's name from the tendency of enemies to split into multiple tiny versions of themselves when killed. It's stupid fun. You thought you hated Pain Elementals before? :haw:

It also changes up some enemy behavior in interesting ways. Imps attack you by... well, throwing more imps at you. Cyberdemons sometimes fire spread rockets and even rockets with cowboy hat-wearing Revenants riding on them. You owe it to yourselves to play it!

EDIT: The gameplay videos in that link are absolute trash. Here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWBBzcY3wOA

EDIT 2: I forgot to mention that you can bud mini marines from your body and use them as projectiles and the chainsaw is replaced by a Shop-Vac that can suck up mini monsters and gibs to use as alt-fire ammo!

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 26, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

So here's an interesting gameplay mod I found through The Goddamn Doomguy on Tumblr: Fractal Doom

It has some of the typical weapon modifications we're familiar with (dual pistols, faster rockets, etc.), but the mod gets it's name from the tendency of enemies to split into multiple tiny versions of themselves when killed. It's stupid fun. You thought you hated Pain Elementals before? :haw:

It also changes up some enemy behavior in interesting ways. Imps attack you by... well, throwing more imps at you. Cyberdemons sometimes fire spread rockets and even rockets with cowboy hat-wearing Revenants riding on them. You owe it to yourselves to play it!

EDIT 2: I forgot to mention that you can bud mini marines from your body and use them as projectiles and the chainsaw is replaced by a Shop-Vac that can suck up mini monsters and gibs to use as alt-fire ammo!

On the difficulties with fast monsters situations escalate out of control at a crazy speeds. Fun wad. :haw:

e: also hadn't heard of this Hellbound wad that he was talking about on that tumblr and it looks pretty awesome.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 26, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

The Kins posted:

It's probably because it's a lot harder nowadays than just dumping the editor EXE and some vague documentation into a zip file. Everything's tied into propietary or expensive tools and everything breaks when you try to separate it for public use. Even some of Valve's mod tools scream shrilly about not being able to connect to Valve's internal Perforce server.

This is one of the main reasons I have continued to buy and support Bethesda's IPs (specifically the TES series and Fallout series): They are not always the greatest games out of the box, but the thousands of mods and utilities that crop up around them is capable of fixing virtually every aspect of each game, and the variety keeps things fresh long after most games have been permanently shelved. I seriously consider whether or not people will be able to mod a game when I think about purchasing it. It's probably why I still keep playing Doom, which has a huge community built up around it, but only occasionally return to Duke 3D or Blood, whose communities are dwarfed by comparison.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

Haha, even the pickups are smaller. That's adorable.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Fallom posted:

Haha, even the pickups are smaller. That's adorable.

Mini marines use the mini ammo! :kimchi:

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
I was playing through Memento Mori and felt like making an addon that adds the real map names to the game, replacing the stock Doom II ones. How do I go about this? I tried DeHacked but it seems like a relic from 1995 that won't run in Windows 7. Can I do it in DoomBuilder?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Nope, definitely not Doom Builder. Simplest way to do it would be with Dehacked, but not necessarily the old DOS tool. First, there's a Windows version (Whacked). Secondly, if you use the BEX mnemonics, it's easy enough to do it by hand.

code:
HUSTR_1 "Name of MAP01"
HUSTR_2 "Name of MAP02"
And so on. More info here.

An alternative, if you play with ZDoom, is to use MAPINFO. In that case, you might be interested by this since the work is already done.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Thanks, Whacked got the job done :)

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Not sure if it got mentioned anywhere, but a final(?), tuned-up version of Winter's Fury was released. More generous ammo placement is probably the biggest gameplay tweak. It used to be surprisingly easy to run dry before. Now you might get low at points, but never really have your back to the wall.

Still one of the best Doom mods released in ages. It's a really good showcase of what Doom is like nowadays.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I definitely ran out of ammo in Winters fury at points, especially on boss fights. Really great wad, go get it! The level design and atmosphere is great.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I've been playing a lot of UT99 Carry the Flag (CTF variant where you need to carry the flag back if an enemy drops it) with bots lately, and I've found that, the more bots there are, the harder it is to capture the flag. Even in 5v5 it can be a pain to get the flag in maps like CTF-LavaGiant and CTF-November unless you leave yourself or a single bot as defense. With 8v8, pretty much anything except the maps specifically built for it (CTF-Orbital and CTF-HallofGiants) and the Face maps are really hard to capture the flag in. I did some 4v4 and it was a lot smoother, mostly because you didn't have 3 or so bots camping the flag room that would murder anyone as soon as they came in.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Only tangentially related, but I've been playing Rage recently since I just got my cable internet and I bought Rage during the free weekend last week. Honestly I don't know why people don't like this game. The technical graphics are pretty impressive, tuned for consoles or not. The game's colors look great, light shafts actually look bright and contrast great against the rest of the dark, dingy rooms, and the people (especially faces) look pretty drat good. The weirdest thing that blew me away about the graphics are Dan Hagar's sunglasses: the way the green tint colors his face behind them looks real and natural, not like other translucent surfaces in other games. Sure, I get some texture pop-in, but honestly every Unreal Engine 3 game does the same loving thing.

The art direction, BROWN-N-BLOOM aside, is pretty good. It doesn't feel all samey like Borderlands does. Hagar's settlement looks different from Outrigger territory looks different from Wasted territory looks different from Wellsprings... If you show me a screenshot from the game's first couple of hours or so, I could almost instantly tell you where you took that screenshot.

The shooting feels good, too. Enemies fly back when you hit them with a shotgun, they'll slump down if you peg them in the head with a pistol shot, the weapons all feel satisfying to use. I wish more enemies would charge you if you stay back, the health regen would only do maybe half your health, and that your death "penalty" isn't "shock the gently caress out of everybody around you," but honestly I'm happy with the game. It feels more like what I wanted from Borderlands, random gun stats notwithstanding.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Rage is a fun game with some issues, I think the main problems pc gamers had with it was that the PC port was a disaster on launch, horribly unoptimized if you didn't have an Nvidia GPU. I thought upgrading to a quad core and a beefier GPU would fix it, but nope, people with ATI cards were hosed until patches were released. Second, the game felt half finished, as if the developers forgot to program the last half of the game. Third, the market is saturated with FPS games so people probably glanced over it as another boring shooter in a wasteland, which in some respects is. Fourth, the driving/racing really didn't add too much to the game according to most people. Personally I thought it helped break up the FPS gameplay a bit.

Despite these flaws, I really do like Rage and it's a fun game that was worth upgrading my PC for, but I think ID was being overambitious and bit off more than they could chew when making this game.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 30, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The thing in Rage that stuck with me was the fact that even after all this time, id still knew how to make shooting and movement feel real good. The shotgun and enemy hit reactions were a big part of that, as you've seen. Unfortunately, the map design did not lend itself to that sort of experience for me; I felt that the game really could've used more open space in the "dungeon" maps instead of trash-strewn hallways that'll trip you up with your Quake-esque movement.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 30, 2013

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The levels are boring as heck. Run down a straight corridor until you eventually reach a boss. The shooting was good though, yeah. It's for sure worth 5$ (which is also what I paid).

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Speaking of boring levels, sometimes I wonder if the reason levels in FPS games went from sprawling mazes to linear shooting galleries is due to increasing graphical complexity. It takes more power to render a hallway from Modern Shooter #2453 than it is to render a whole level in Doom. I wonder if this problem can be solved with a procedural generation method of making maps.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Well, partly. When you spend millions of dollars making a game and individual areas take massive teams months to create, that time and money is wasted if the player doesn't see them. So, you don't give them the choice. Procedural generation will never take hold in big studio games for the same reason.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

I'm forcing myself to finish Rage out of boredom and the levels are awful and super linear. Also what's the point of having an ~open wasteland~ if you have no real map or any real reason to explore anything outside of QUEST TELLS YOU TO GO TO POINT X. Bleh. A really good game could have been built on this but it wasn't.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Dominic White posted:

Not sure if it got mentioned anywhere, but a final(?), tuned-up version of Winter's Fury was released. More generous ammo placement is probably the biggest gameplay tweak. It used to be surprisingly easy to run dry before. Now you might get low at points, but never really have your back to the wall.

Still one of the best Doom mods released in ages. It's a really good showcase of what Doom is like nowadays.

I just tried this out and absolutely love the general aesthetics. Probably will be something I'll point to when showing how far Doom modding has come.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

I just tried this out and absolutely love the general aesthetics. Probably will be something I'll point to when showing how far Doom modding has come.

It's easily one of the best campaigns out there. Even the boss fights are fun, especially now that you don't really have to count every shot.

The v1.2 version also went and took an editors hatchet to the story. Now it's a lot shorter and snappier. Less awkward exposition, more 'here's where you need to go and what you need to do'.

It totally deserved the Cacoward it won last year, but it's even better now. Between it and ZDCMP2 (new build out three days ago, BTW), it's clear just how far Doom has come.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 30, 2013

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Rage should've ditched the "open world" attempt and just went full linear with some back-tracking like Doom 3. Fights in some areas were really fun but traveling before and after each fight was such a chore.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Also the invisible walls. Ugggggggh the invisible walls.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

I saw this a while back and decided to wait until a more complete version was released. This is one sexy mod.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Mak0rz posted:

I saw this a while back and decided to wait until a more complete version was released. This is one sexy mod.

It's pretty amazing how well a fresh coat of paint can liven things up. I'm sure I wouldn't enjoy it as much if it didn't look so good.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

jerkstoresup posted:

Rage should've ditched the "open world" attempt and just went full linear with some back-tracking like Doom 3. Fights in some areas were really fun but traveling before and after each fight was such a chore.

I agree for the most part, but there still should've been a town or two to break up the action. I like pissing around in towns and buying supplies. :shobon:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

closeted republican posted:

I agree for the most part, but there still should've been a town or two to break up the action. I like pissing around in towns and buying supplies. :shobon:

Oh, like how Metro 2033 did it? That would have been pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I played through a bit of the DLC. I got the nailgun, and the rebar launcher/railgun attachments for it. :syoon:

Why the gently caress do people not like this game?