Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

razorrozar posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the inspiration.

Man remember sticks to snakes? You could totally get your Moses on as a cleric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

That's a spell in the D&D side scroller arcade game. Chronicles of Mystra was released on xbox live last year, great fun.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I don't think any of my clerics ever got a snake staff, but they all wanted one.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

prefect posted:

I don't think any of my clerics ever got a snake staff, but they all wanted one.

Man the art was the best thing about the 1st ed books. :allears:

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

They got rid of sticks to snakes? This is heresy!

edit: Phew.

Seldom Posts fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 29, 2013

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Seldom Posts posted:

They got rid of sticks to snakes? This is heresy!

Pathfinder ended up bringing it back though, so all's well that ends well.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Robviously posted:

Pathfinder ended up bringing it back though, so all's well that ends well.

poo poo, seriously?

I guess a stopped clock is right two times a day, because that decision is ideal.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
When trying to figure out just how many of the original cleric spells were biblical I was thinking to myself, "I'm pretty sure no one in the bible used Flame Strike."

Well...

2 Kings 1:9-12 posted:

Then the king sent to him a captain of fifty men with his fifty. He went up to Elijah, who was sitting on the top of a hill, and said to him, “O man of God, the king says, ‘Come down.’” But Elijah answered the captain of fifty, “If I am a man of God, let fire come down from heaven and consume you and your fifty.” Then fire came down from heaven and consumed him and his fifty. Again the king sent to him another captain of fifty men with his fifty. And he answered and said to him, “O man of God, this is the king's order, ‘Come down quickly!’” But Elijah answered them, “If I am a man of God, let fire come down from heaven and consume you and your fifty.” Then the fire of God came down from heaven and consumed him and his fifty.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
My fav is the guy who used summon nature's ally to have a pack of bears maul a bunch of kids who were mocking his bald head. Druids are dicks in the OT.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

LightWarden posted:

Then the fire of God came down from heaven and consumed him and his fifty.
I just love how goddamn straightforward the Old Testament is about that poo poo.

"Yeah, they tempted God, and then they burst into loving flames." :colbert:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I also love how the king apparently didn't give a poo poo about his soldiers.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mikl posted:

This is true of most kings in the OT, even ones aligned with God. David said he'd rather all of his soldiers die if it meant his traitor son lived.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

My fav is the guy who used summon nature's ally to have a pack of bears maul a bunch of kids who were mocking his bald head. Druids are dicks in the OT.

Same guy as Flame Strike guy. He was really an rear end in a top hat, kind of!

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Mikl posted:

Well think about it, one case of divine intervention is probably pretty rare, but two in a row is just ridiculous. Flame never strikes the same place twice.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
:siren: 933: Getting a Little Carried Away :siren:

Man, everyone would be dead if Laurin did anything other than restraining them for Tarquin, huh.

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 30, 2013

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

You know, that IS Tarquin's major problem.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Haha this is great way to end the fight. Julio is the best. While I like this arc, I hope it is truly over now. This is a really good stopping point, and any more would cheapen this last scene.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Incoming Tarquin total meltdown scene in the next strip? :v: Something tells me that parting shot from Julio is going to get to him more than, y'know, almost being impaled with a loving harpoon.

...Great, now I have the mental imagery of Tarquin actually getting hit, then engaging in a sword fight with Julio as the line is being pulled back to the airship.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I've been wondering this for a bit. Are those dots around Laurin's head ioun stones? I can't think of anything else they could be, unless there's some psionic power that gives you floating dots. Kirby's Mental Pencil, perhaps.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

razorrozar posted:

I've been wondering this for a bit. Are those dots around Laurin's head ioun stones? I can't think of anything else they could be, unless there's some psionic power that gives you floating dots. Kirby's Mental Pencil, perhaps.
Yeah, they're almost certainly Ioun Stones. There was some slightly spergy talk earlier in the thread about how the subject might be explained if she was defeated and they got looted.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

The Leper Colon V posted:

Yeah, they're almost certainly Ioun Stones. There was some slightly spergy talk earlier in the thread about how the subject might be explained if she was defeated and they got looted.

I think they're psionic power stones or cognizance crystals. Power stones store a power and are essentially psionic scrolls, cognizance crystals store psionic power points and are kind of like pearls of power.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

The Leper Colon V posted:

Yeah, and judging from the colour (as best I can tell; they're really loving small in every page she appears in) they appear to be red, orange and green and looking at the possibilities I'd guess she's getting +2 to intelligence (red), +1 caster level (orange) and either +5 temporary hit points or a +1 competence bonus on her attack/save/skill rolls (green).

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I think they're psionic power stones or cognizance crystals. Power stones store a power and are essentially psionic scrolls, cognizance crystals store psionic power points and are kind of like pearls of power.

I don't power stones usually float around the user's head like Ioun Stones, but that's probably something you could write off as just a visual touch. Cognizance Crystals are also considerably larger so that seems unlikely.

Zellyn fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 30, 2013

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

What's stopping Laurin from just opening a wormhole onto the airship?

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Glory of Arioch posted:

What's stopping Laurin from just opening a wormhole onto the airship?

At the moment I'm going to guess she's PISSED. Tarquin dragged her and the other guy out to the middle of the desert with an army and accomplished absolutely nothing but losing the army. Tarquin won't let it go. I doubt Laurin sees it the same way.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

razorrozar posted:

At the moment I'm going to guess she's PISSED. Tarquin dragged her and the other guy out to the middle of the desert with an army and accomplished absolutely nothing but losing the army. Tarquin won't let it go. I doubt Laurin sees it the same way.

If she refuses to play her part, she's not getting her favor. No one upholds a broken deal.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

ikanreed posted:

If she refuses to play her part, she's not getting her favor. No one upholds a broken deal.

She also doesn't get her favor if she dies. teleporting onto the private warship of a near epic level character and his crew, which is currently probably healing a party of near epic adventurers, when you've been casting all day and you're a party of two doesn't seem like particularly good odds. Particularly when the person who wants to do it has shown incredibly poor judgement and is clearly fixated.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
She could just lie and say she's out of MP or whatever it is Psionics use. I doubt Tarkie has been counting.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
She probably can't open a portal onto a moving vehicle.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

RIP flying carpet.

DoctorTristan posted:

She probably can't open a portal onto a moving vehicle.

If you get that wrong things could be tricky.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I hope you assholes are happy because thanks to your FFVI discussion I had Locke's theme playing in my mind for this comic.

(it was awesome)

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, I think that parting shot is the way to wrap things up in the short term. They'll do what they need to quick, like do something about Haley's dad, then Julio will give them a lift to the Northern Continent.

With this kind of finish, there's decent odds of Tarquin getting chumped in a not-satisfying-to-his-sense-of-drama way on the way back from the debacle, like Sabine appearing or what have you. I'm particularly fond of the idea of Sabine replacing Tarquin and proceeding to ruin his reputation, although that might be tricky to pull off.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

2 Kings 1:9-12 posted:

Then the king sent to him a captain of fifty men with his fifty. He went up to Elijah, who was sitting on the top of a hill, and said to him, “O man of God, the king says, ‘Come down.’” But Elijah answered the captain of fifty, “If I am a man of God, let fire come down from heaven and consume you and your fifty.” Then fire came down from heaven and consumed him and his fifty. Again the king sent to him another captain of fifty men with his fifty. And he answered and said to him, “O man of God, this is the king's order, ‘Come down quickly!’” But Elijah answered them, “If I am a man of God, let fire come down from heaven and consume you and your fifty.” Then the fire of God came down from heaven and consumed him and his fifty.

Honestly, it's the phrasing here that kills me:

"If I am a man of God, let God wreck all their poo poo."
Then God wrecked all their poo poo.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Capfalcon posted:

It's basically shitthatdidn'thappen.txt, Biblical Edition.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

MarquiseMindfang posted:

She could just lie and say she's out of MP or whatever it is Psionics use. I doubt Tarkie has been counting.

She may BE out of Psionic Points! She's been Wormholing all over the place, Disintegrated Nale, did some kind of Mass Psionic Blast, a couple of regular Psionic Blasts, AND had two whole levels worth of PPs drained outta her by Durkon! She's gotta be running low by now!

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Capfalcon posted:

Even better, it happens twice in a row. Apparently taking out 50 men with FIRE FROM THE loving SKY didn't get the message across the first time.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Zonekeeper posted:

Even better, it happens twice in a row. Apparently taking out 50 men with FIRE FROM THE loving SKY didn't get the message across the first time.

Well, if he was a Vancian caster, he could only do it so many times per day...

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Zonekeeper posted:

Hey, you never know, that first time could've just been a fluke. :v:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Running theme in the bible. People are always looking at glorious burning words in the sky and saying, 'I dunno, it could have only been the once.'

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Mystic Mongol posted:

Running theme in the bible. People are always looking at glorious burning words in the sky and saying, 'I dunno, it could have only been the once.'

Hey, they're just following the scientific method. If you can't repeat it, you can't be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Exit before what?

Can't be "before I get stabbed by my protégé's foe" or "before my rug gets ribbonized" since he then says "this won't be our last dance after all, because--"

Because what?!

:stare: