Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I'm continually awestruck by how stupid and wrong you are, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Arcadia is White vs. Black + Red if you take the "substance" of White as being about organization and role fulfillment rather than healing or w/e. Arcadia puts things in their places, but the place settings themselves are often chaotic and terrifyingly amoral.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

NNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRDDDDSSSSS

(Simic continues to be the superior guild in this interpretation)

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Wait, what? Where the hell did all this Magic the Gathering poo poo come from? Ferrinus, what have you been doing in your spare time?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Daeren posted:

(Simic continues to be the superior guild in this interpretation)
:hfive: simic4lyfe

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Doodmons posted:

Wait, what? Where the hell did all this Magic the Gathering poo poo come from? Ferrinus, what have you been doing in your spare time?

I've been playing Magicka: Wizard wars, in which you cast improvised spells by combining the ten Arcana of Life, Death, Water, Lightning, Fire, Cold, Shield, Earth, Right Click, and Middle Click. The MtG thing actually came to me a while ago, but I felt like tossing it out there.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 29, 2013

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

I've been playing Magicka: Wizard wars, in which you cast improvised spells by combining the ten Arcana of Life, Death, Water, Lightning, Fire, Cold, Shield, Earth, Right Click, and Middle Click. The MtG thing actually came to me a while ago, but I felt like tossing it out there.

I (and probably anyone who'd looked at both Mage and MtG) have been thinking about modifying Mage to have the players as Planeswalkers with Arcana replaced with colors of Mana.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Xelkelvos posted:

I (and probably anyone who'd looked at both Mage and MtG) have been thinking about modifying Mage to have the players as Planeswalkers with Arcana replaced with colors of Mana.

Finally, the much-needed buffs to mind-controlling mages both games have long needed.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Ferrinus posted:

Tell me you've been playing with people. Multi-player Magicka is ridiculous poo poo- any moment where nobody's dead from being blown up by themselves or a teammate is the moment before somebody gets blown up by themselves or a teammate.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Pope Guilty posted:

Tell me you've been playing with people. Multi-player Magicka is ridiculous poo poo- any moment where nobody's dead from being blown up by themselves or a teammate is the moment before somebody gets blown up by themselves or a teammate.

Wizard Wars is actually a multiplayer team-based point capturing game based off Magicka! It's super fun but like ten people play it because it's still in alpha and buggy even by Magicka standards

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Hey, its netcode is a lot better! Good luck finding a match if it's not primetime, though.

Magicka is basically Mage back in the halcyon days of Atlantis. Oops, I disintegrated you! No worries, I'll just reconstruct you from the pile of dust you left behind, no one will be able to tell the difference.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Atlantis only crashed once

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

It sent chains of sequential catastrophes cascading into both the past and future, but the Exarchs in their munificence rotated the entire disaster ninety degrees through time, so that an entire imaginary number line of apocalypses appears to us to be a singular event, all right

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Ferrinus posted:

It sent chains of sequential catastrophes cascading into both the past and future, but the Exarchs in their munificence rotated the entire disaster ninety degrees through time, so that an entire imaginary number line of apocalypses appears to us to be a singular event, all right

Well dang, all praise to the Exarchs, I guess.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Is anyone really looking forward to whatever Drive related Embeds/Exploits come out in Flowers of Hell?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Ferrinus posted:

I don't have any idea if this is in a book or just something you came up with, but I'm stealing it.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Gilok posted:

I don't have any idea if this is in a book or just something you came up with, but I'm stealing it.

Emptyquote.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Ferrinus posted:

You're more right than you maybe expect.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
I already thought that was true. We perceive the fall of Atlantis as an "ancient legendary event" but it's pretty clear from the books that Time got as hosed up as everything else because they could turn Time into a pretzel to get your Atlantean Pizza delivery there in under 30 minutes, so of course they did. Hail the Seers, order Dominos.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Funny enough, the Mysterium has recently unearthed ancient atlantean codices detailing how the concept of 'delivered in 30 minutes or it's free' was originally put forth by time and fate masters as a time saving practice.

Dominos is simply the fallen shadow of past glories, don't believe The Lie.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
My Mage hack that I've never worked on for lack of time/dedication is simple. Basically, your Path would grant the Subtle Arcana associated with it which you could then pair with any Gross Arcana you liked. Prime/Time, Fate/Forces, Mind/Life, go nuts. You can never learn anything from the Inferior path. Inferior path is changed to Prime for Arcadia and Fate for Pandemonium which I feel is a waaaay better fit thematically.

Basically play up the "reality shattered" angle. You can see the Supernal Truth of how things should be, but it's only a fragment. In the endless energy cycles of the Aether entropy does not exist and Death has no place. Pandemonium's self-determination and dominance hierarchy leave no room for Fate. Stygia's orderly quiet universe cannot deal with the cacophony of Spirit. Arcadia doesn't deal with hardcoded magical laws like Prime. The Primal Wild does not place any value on Mind.

Which raises a bunch of interesting questions re: eventual goals. If you're an Obrimos, maybe you feel that your fractured view is the obvious and correct one and feel that you need to kill all Moros in order to bring that about.

I'm thinking of making it so that you can't even perceive the effects of your inferior Arcanum to add more paranoia to dealings between mages but I am not sure if that would work. Maybe "you take a massive penalty to mage sight" instead.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I always liked that the Aether and Pandemonium are both deficient in Stygian Arcana because heaven and hell are both kind of silly in light of what ACTUALLY awaits you beyond death. Also, they're the two Resolve realms and want to just will things their way as contrasted against Stygia's Composure and ability to just accept things with dignity.

I could get behind a more symmetrical bad-at-the-preceding-Realm's-subtle-Arcanum setup, though. I'd mke it impossible to improvise sensory spells in your inferior Arcanum, so you have to sit down and be taught how to see ghosts or whatever.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
I think it's Soul Cage where it comes up that if you use Time spells to try to date Atlantean ruins, you get an answer of "no" because they don't have any Time in them at all. The Fall was that hosed.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Apologies if this gets asked a lot, but I'm looking for a couple of good soundtracks (either game, TV or film) to put in in the background while I run Hunter for my mates. Anyone got any good experiences? Ideally just soundtracks only, nothing with lyrics.

I've been using the Deus Ex:HR soundtrack, as well as FEAR, some of the new Batman films, and XCOM: EU as well. The biggest hit so far as been FEAR, mainly due to all the terrifying chanting and deep drumming going on.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

JDCorley posted:

I already thought that was true. We perceive the fall of Atlantis as an "ancient legendary event" but it's pretty clear from the books that Time got as hosed up as everything else because they could turn Time into a pretzel to get your Atlantean Pizza delivery there in under 30 minutes, so of course they did. Hail the Seers, order Dominos.

gently caress the Seers, Domino's is :barf:

Yoshimo posted:

Apologies if this gets asked a lot, but I'm looking for a couple of good soundtracks (either game, TV or film) to put in in the background while I run Hunter for my mates. Anyone got any good experiences? Ideally just soundtracks only, nothing with lyrics.

I've been using the Deus Ex:HR soundtrack, as well as FEAR, some of the new Batman films, and XCOM: EU as well. The biggest hit so far as been FEAR, mainly due to all the terrifying chanting and deep drumming going on.

I haven't tested it out yet, since our group is a bit more into board games at the moment, but I set up a playlist with stuff like the Quake and Amnesia soundtracks, along with the Social Network and Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. The grand majority of that is ambient, so it should work out well enough.

NuclearPotato fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 2, 2013

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Yoshimo posted:

Alien3 score.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yuhpj4K_ESI

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!

Yoshimo posted:

Raison d'etre, you won't regret it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lcq-SfimlI

The soundtrack for the US adaptation of The Ring is also good. Also the soundtrack to There Will Be Blood, if you're weird like me.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Varjon posted:

Raison d'etre, you won't regret it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lcq-SfimlI

The soundtrack for the US adaptation of The Ring is also good. Also the soundtrack to There Will Be Blood, if you're weird like me.

The Japanese soundtrack is pretty good too, I really enjoy the end theme.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAgKLPEodmA

If you look outside of soundtracks, Ken Ishii's stuff could be used for good technological areas in cities.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
Two Steps From Hell literally do movie trailer music and are pretty great. They have some quieter stuff along with the more bombastic scores, and there's an entire Halloween album that would probably fit well in a horror game.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Yoshimo posted:

Check out Hearts of Space (hos.com), which does hour-long ambient and space music in about every genre. Sometimes lyrics, almost always not, with a good range of themes and something like 1050 episodes now since it's been going as a PBS thing since like 1980. I can't guarantee you'll find what you need, but they do have two that are worth a special look in: Cinemotion and The Big Score, which both deal expressly with film soundtracks alone. The entire category of 'cinematic/soundtrack' is probably also worth a look.

Erebro
Apr 28, 2013
News on the Hunter: Mortal Remains front!

We have our Mummy-hunting conspiracy and...uh....

:stare:

...Let's just say the Promethean Brotherhood has competition now.

(Awesomely creepy, though. I wouldn't play them, however, because I want to be able to eat sometime ever again.)

The Faithful of Shulpae, everyone.

Erebro fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 3, 2013

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
Hahaha that sounds kicking rad. Just eat a monster and see what happens, why the gently caress not.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
While that's pretty great and rather viscerally horrifying in a way WoD doesn't pull off often, there was this in the comments:

quote:

As far as the Demon conspiracy goes? Nope. They’re loving badasses. They’re basically bounty hunters for angels, inspired by biker/trucker culture. They go around delivering two-fisted justice for cash. Imagine if Sam Elliot and Patrick Swayze did a movie where they hunt demons.

:pcgaming: Cool Dude Crew spotted :pcgaming:

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

I think we're missing the important part, from the comments section:

quote:

[in response to a question about whether the demon conspiracy were mindless servants of the god-machine] As far as the Demon conspiracy goes? Nope. They’re loving badasses. They’re basically bounty hunters for angels, inspired by biker/trucker culture. They go around delivering two-fisted justice for cash. Imagine if Sam Elliot and Patrick Swayze did a movie where they hunt demons.

e;fb

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Doesn't Mummy have a big ol' Hunter conspiracy right in the core book?

Erebro
Apr 28, 2013

Kellsterik posted:

Doesn't Mummy have a big ol' Hunter conspiracy right in the core book?

So does Demon, for that matter. We just aren't given Endowments or Status Merits for either.

Would be an interesting exercise to design Status and Endowments for both Last Dynasty International and the Deva Corporation, actually.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Quote from somewhere on these forums I found in a .txt file which seems like an uncannily good summary of a Demon's fall:

quote:

now i want to be an artist because it lets me become a Computer Satan and have lots of sexual congress with other humans

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Yoshimo posted:

Apologies if this gets asked a lot, but I'm looking for a couple of good soundtracks (either game, TV or film) to put in in the background while I run Hunter for my mates.

http://www.amazon.com/Mullets-Rock/dp/B00008J2QP

The question you should always ask yourself is, "Does my chronicle simulate Supernatural enough?", and if the answer is "No", then you're doing it wrong.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Silhouette posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Mullets-Rock/dp/B00008J2QP

The question you should always ask yourself is, "Does my chronicle simulate Supernatural enough?", and if the answer is "No", then you're doing it wrong.

What if you are simulating Men in Black, is that still doing it wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
I like the sound track for Hanna.

• Locked thread