Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

Why the hell are those Godhand cutters 100 dollars on ebay? :psyduck:

Are you questioning the power of the God Hand? :toughguy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFSen7DRQWU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
God Hand is Worth The Price. No it isn't, or at least not at $100.

Anyways, I was planning on refurbishing my old HG 00R since I made its components (my parents bought me the HG 00 at an airport since they knew I liked gunpla but didn't actually know what I wanted, and I kind of just went with it and picked up the HG 0 Raiser later) back when I really, really sucked. The idea was to sand the nubs, weld the seams, repaint the clear parts, and order the D and E runners from the HG 00R + GN Sword III since that's where all the new stuff is.

Then I found out that parts ordering isn't allowed in America anymore. :negative:

I probably could have just stuck with polishing up the kit, but hell I'll admit it: Build Fighters has actually inspired me to try making a custom. If you take away the twin GN drives the 00 is surprisingly spartan; there are a couple flourishes so you can tell that it's a Gundam, but otherwise it's super boring. So hey, why not make a grunt version? :v:

I've pretty much figured out exactly what I want to do (trim the flourishes, repurpose the 0 Raiser into a GN drive slot, and make three different weapon loadouts using stuff from the Arios), so now I just need to work up motivation. I've got a four day break to do this, let's see how much of that I piss away. :unsmigghh:

As an aside, thinking up of how you want to customize a kit is actually really fun.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

God Hand is Worth The Price. No it isn't, or at least not at $100.

Anyways, I was planning on refurbishing my old HG 00R since I made its components (my parents bought me the HG 00 at an airport since they knew I liked gunpla but didn't actually know what I wanted, and I kind of just went with it and picked up the HG 0 Raiser later) back when I really, really sucked. The idea was to sand the nubs, weld the seams, repaint the clear parts, and order the D and E runners from the HG 00R + GN Sword III since that's where all the new stuff is.

Then I found out that parts ordering isn't allowed in America anymore. :negative:

I probably could have just stuck with polishing up the kit, but hell I'll admit it: Build Fighters has actually inspired me to try making a custom. If you take away the twin GN drives the 00 is surprisingly spartan; there are a couple flourishes so you can tell that it's a Gundam, but otherwise it's super boring. So hey, why not make a grunt version? :v:

I've pretty much figured out exactly what I want to do (trim the flourishes, repurpose the 0 Raiser into a GN drive slot, and make three different weapon loadouts using stuff from the Arios), so now I just need to work up motivation. I've got a four day break to do this, let's see how much of that I piss away. :unsmigghh:

As an aside, thinking up of how you want to customize a kit is actually really fun.

I've been thinking about this too, especially since it gives me an excuse to buy a new high grade with that GP base stand.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

BlitzBlast posted:

I guess that means parts ordering isn't allowed outside Japan at all? I was hoping to do a Reborns/One Gundam custom with One's extra frames without having to get both kits.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

muike posted:

I have a pair of the God Hands (the packaging is hilarious) but I haven't tried them yet. I can cut a few parts for you and let you know how they compare to my standard Xuron nippers.

Please do this, and then follow up in six months to let us know how the blades are holding up. I'm always on the lookout for a better cutter.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

muike posted:

haha oh my god i just looked at the website for them and other than the anime mascot girl it says something about being like the katana of nippers or something and shows a picture of a dude folding steel OVER 1000 TIMES masterwork nippers

So wait would European nippers be a lump of bog iron hammered crudely into the shape of something with a couple of edges on it only it's so cheap that everyone could run around with a pair?

fe: I was being silly but then I realized I basically just described diagonal cutters

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
So I'm working on an MG Marasai, and I'm thinking of getting a green LED kit from Amazon to light up his monoeye. $18 shipped is a little steep for a set of two, but I dunno if I'll find them any cheaper elsewhere. My hobby store doesn't carry 'em. I've seen video tutorials to make your own, but I don't have a soldering iron.

Question though, if I get those LED units... how hard is it to swap out the LED for one in a different color? Reason why I'm asking is I've thought about picking up the RX-78 3.0 sometime and that has a spot for an LED as well, although the RX-78 has yellow eyes, not green. And AFAIK, the only way to get a yellow LED unit is to get the RX-78 accessory kit, which is hard to find and I'm not sure if I want it. I'm never going to pose it dual wielding bazookas, and if I want a trident and gundam hammer, I have ones from the 1.5 that I never use.

Any thoughts on what I should do?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
HLJ has a black friday sale going currently on everything except books and magazines. All Gunpla seems to be 27% off, including PGs.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ignimbrite posted:

HLJ has a black friday sale going currently on everything except books and magazines. All Gunpla seems to be 27% off, including PGs.

Robot4Less is 35% off too:

http://www.robot4less.com/

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Will all have to wait until morning, nothing I want seems to be in stock at HLJ, looks like I can still get them at discount if I wait.

Think I want another go at Reborns, and a Stark Jegen seems cool. Thought about 00 Seven Swords but I have the 00 Raiser already, would just be for accessories.

Not sure I want to get an MG after so long, not sure what I would go for. It's 2.30am and I probably shouldn't consider spending so much until I sleep.

Edit: are there any good third party accessories compatible with Gundam kits, pretty sure I've seen them. Think I'd like to see what I can do to replace/modify the Reborns Cannon weapons in particular.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 29, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Midjack posted:

Robot4Less is 35% off too:

http://www.robot4less.com/

And they just got restocked on mr. color I think. Their prices aren't as good as hobbywave but it's basically free shipping and then some with that discount.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Kotobukiya makes some stuff I think? Bandai makes some Builders Parts, and the recent Build Fighters backpacks are fun to mess around with.

Personally I just preordered MG Gundam X and called it a day.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Question though, if I get those LED units... how hard is it to swap out the LED for one in a different color?

I'm going to guess pretty hard, otherwise a lot more people would just mod the official LEDs rather than make new ones.

If we're talking about Black Friday sales, I should mention that Model Grade has 15% off sales on various items.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Oh by the way after a few snips, the GOD HANDS are cutting like a dream. You can barely even tell you're passing through the gate as they cut. They do feel a bit odd in the hand though, as the handles are kind of small compared to the xurons I've been using. You can cut pretty much right up against the part with only a tiny bit of gate left over.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
PG Skygrasper, MG Proto Zero, and SRC Genesic GaoGaiGar - I'm happy with my purchase. :)

Thanks for the HLJ reminder.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
gently caress I'm an idiot I went whole hog and got a ton of mr color but forgot to get flat clear.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Gundam.info's starting another campaign. Prizes are pretty much the same as the last one.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Finally bought me an MG Turn A, and it was only 45 bucks shipped. Not bad.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Captain Invictus posted:

Finally bought me an MG Turn A, and it was only 45 bucks shipped. Not bad.

You'll enjoy it. The MG really made me appreciate the Turn A's design - it's a fantastic build.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I just got an MG Turn A, too. I haven't built it yet, but it comes with a DVD and a mazagine, and the seller included some weird snack that looks like fries, has a picture of a shrimp on the bag, smells like fish and doesn't really taste like anything.

But since I have a 5 day weekend, I'm gonna see if I can't build both my Marasai and the Turn A during my little break. I plan to spend my next few days playing Pokemon, watching Star Trek and building Gunpla, gosh it doesn't get nerdier than that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hey, I never got a DVD. I did get some tea though, which sounds a lot better than that weird fish thing.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

How is the MG Nu Gundam ver.Ka out of the box? I can't use my airbrush in university halls, but would like to perhaps take it apart and paint it later.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Kind of depends, I found it solid enough (except for the hands) but a few pages back muffinlord had a lot of trouble putting it together.

Painting the nu vKa sans airbrush sounds like a pain in the rear end though. There's a ton of parts, so unless you're just doing minor detail work it'll take forever.

EDIT: Oh wait I think I read your question wrong. Nu vKa looks great out of the box, you don't really need to paint it. Only big thing to worry about is the hands, which require some sort of topcoat to keep from falling apart.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 29, 2013

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

BizarroAzrael posted:

How is the MG Nu Gundam ver.Ka out of the box? I can't use my airbrush in university halls, but would like to perhaps take it apart and paint it later.

Search my post history in this thread- it's a great kit but if you've been out of the MG game a while prepare to lose knuckles on those tiny hands.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

The Muffinlord posted:

Search my post history in this thread- it's a great kit but if you've been out of the MG game a while prepare to lose knuckles on those tiny hands.

Am on my phone, but doesn't it come with fixed hands, without articulated fingers?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BizarroAzrael posted:

Am on my phone, but doesn't it come with fixed hands, without articulated fingers?

There is no option for fixed hands.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Hey, I never got a DVD. I did get some tea though, which sounds a lot better than that weird fish thing.

Well, you're not missing that much. It's basically just a 10 minute video that's pictures of the previous 100 MGs, and it goes so fast you barely have time to look at them most of them. Like they spend a second on each, if even.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So I was only able to get about one picture of it in before my batteries died, but I recently finished the MG RX-79 3.0 and I'm really impressed with how it turned out.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I think you mean the RX-78. :v:

Anyways, wow. Both to the picture (much improved compared to the last few, I can make out a lot more detail) and to the kit. Nice job on those decals, they're practically symmetrical.

I'm getting a 3.0 of my own soon, so mind sharing your thoughts on the build? From what I've heard it's kind of hilariously complex, with multiple ways to build the limbs and a ridiculous amount of parts separation.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

I think you mean the RX-78. :v:

Anyways, wow. Both to the picture (much improved compared to the last few, I can make out a lot more detail) and to the kit. Nice job on those decals, they're practically symmetrical.

I'm getting a 3.0 of my own soon, so mind sharing your thoughts on the build? From what I've heard it's kind of hilariously complex, with multiple ways to build the limbs and a ridiculous amount of parts separation.

Thanks. I worked on that with a few friends and we each took a couple of parts decaling with me doing most of the cutting and building. While the panel lining and decaling were done as a team project, I cut and built the actual suit itself and it is needlessly complex. There are various parts for color bits, white bits instead of the grey ones you seen on there. The core fighter actually is a separate build and there is a piece that you can put in its place. The core fighter has a transformation gimmick with the actual cockpit as well. It is an excellent kit and extremely posable, however I will admit that there are some parts that are a little loose, such as the part that holds the bazooka to the back waist bit, and the chest due to the switchable parts could feel just a bit sturdier. All in all, seeing as I got it for a solid 60, well worth it. The sheer amount of how intricate some stuff is is pretty out there too. See those vents? They all are separate pieces and move on their own. I'm not sure if they improved on the hands or not, but they felt better than they did on the Ver. Ka Nu and all that good stuff.

SethSeries fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 1, 2013

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Edit: accidental double post.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Sounds a lot like the 2.0 actually, sans having a core block. Which is awesome, because man the core fighter on the 2.0 was a fiddly build.

Since it's using the Emotion Manipulators, I assume the beam rifle and the bazooka use the corresponding "push out a latch on the handle" connection. Were the hardpoints on the shield similarly changed to account for that, or is it still just a peg? Similarly, does the shield still latch on to the back with a really lovely hinge thing? One of my biggest griefs with the 2.0 were the accessories, since trying to get the weapons out of the hardpoints without damaging the connector pegs was like pulling teeth and the shield just could not stay on the back right.

Another thing I've heard is that the engineering on the elbows are overly complicated for seemingly no reason other than to be complex. That sound about right?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Sounds a lot like the 2.0 actually, sans having a core block. Which is awesome, because man the core fighter on the 2.0 was a fiddly build.

Since it's using the Emotion Manipulators, I assume the beam rifle and the bazooka use the corresponding "push out a latch on the handle" connection. Were the hardpoints on the shield similarly changed to account for that, or is it still just a peg? Similarly, does the shield still latch on to the back with a really lovely hinge thing? One of my biggest griefs with the 2.0 were the accessories, since trying to get the weapons out of the hardpoints without damaging the connector pegs was like pulling teeth and the shield just could not stay on the back right.

Another thing I've heard is that the engineering on the elbows are overly complicated for seemingly no reason other than to be complex. That sound about right?

The arms and legs are needlessly complex, and to be frank, you may see it there, but we accidentally hosed up the bronze sticker, so we intentionally ruined both sides of the bronze to make it match to give it a worn metal look. The accessories are one of the best parts, and yes the weapons were redone to make them work with the emotion manipulators. The shield I believe has a gimmick with it, because you can actually latch the gun onto the shield to make it look like its stored on the shield, which looks pretty baller. The sheild latches better on the back as well, and the backpack itself has been completely redone and the verniers on it have their own gimmick to move around for posability. The suit is insanely complex, but it does benefit the suit.

Is it bad that I think my Nu Ver Ka looks a bit better with only slight panel lining?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I've already gotten some copper paint just because I've heard so much bad word about the 3.0's copper stickers. And definitely great to hear all the changes, it sounds like they've fixed most of my grievances with the 2.0.

Can't really comment on your Nu vKa since you haven't posted a picture of it, but if it makes you feel better even Dalong couldn't bring himself to do his usual extra thick panel lines on it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The only issue you might have with the 3.0 is that the core fighter is the same one from the 2.0. The beam rifle and bazooka are also the same, just with new parts for the handles for the EMOTION MANIPULATORZ

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

This is the only picture I have and it is bad. I really just need to go in and do posing for a bunch of stuff and take pictures.

It really saddens me because I want to put it in a pose kicking the poo poo out of the Strike Freedom Full Burst, but I can't bring myself to take the Freedom out of this pose.

SethSeries fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 30, 2013

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I think I'm going to get the RX-78 3.0 within the next couple months (my local hobby shop has 2 of them and one guy I know on twitter offered me the add-on pack for $25 shipped) but I dunno if I'm going to bother with those bronze stickers that are supposed to represent shiny metal bits. It's probably just easier to hand paint gold and silver details.

I've been putting it off as I already have the 1.5 version and wanted a more diverse collection of mobile suits before doubling down on the granddaddy Gundam, but it just looks really cool.

I'm hoping they're not going to make 3.0 versions of a lot of suits when there's plenty that badly need a 2.0. The Zaku 2.0 and Gundam MK 2 2.0 are practically perfect in my eyes and don't really need a revamp. The 2.0 Zaku is so sturdy and well articulated it's easy to forget it's a model kit and not a toy.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 30, 2013

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

I think I'm going to get the RX-78 3.0 within the next couple months (my local hobby shop has 2 of them and one guy I know on twitter offered me the add-on pack for $25 shipped) but I dunno if I'm going to bother with those bronze stickers that are supposed to represent shiny metal bits. It's probably just easier to hand paint gold and silver details.

I've been putting it off as I already have the 1.5 version and wanted a more diverse collection of mobile suits before doubling down on the granddaddy Gundam, but it just looks really cool.

I really need to buckle down and get the add on pack. All I want is the LED and Gundam hammer though.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

I really need to buckle down and get the add on pack. All I want is the LED and Gundam hammer though.

I don't even need the Gundam hammer, as I have the 1.5 and Turn A so I have two of them already. I just want the LED. But $25 shipped isn't a bad price for the set, I think.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

This is the only picture I have and it is bad. I really just need to go in and do posing for a bunch of stuff and take pictures.

Did I hear someone say they need posing inspiration? :v:

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

Did I hear someone say they need posing inspiration? :v:

Well I know what I'm doing when I head back over to the friends place who has room for all our gunpla.

• Locked thread