Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Edit: nm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

redshirt posted:

All that's missing to make this a great 80's show is a wisecracking robot or alien.

But they already have Coulson.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008
Maybe I'm too forgiving of the show, but I really like what it's doing. I don't need an overarching villain. Chuck barely had one for most of its existence, though I will admit it was at its peak when Superman was the main villain.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

redshirt posted:

All that's missing to make this a great 80's show is a wisecracking robot or alien.

Or a monkey.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Fred is on posted:

Or a monkey.

Dammit, we've been over this. We are not getting a monkey.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

redshirt posted:

Also, I'm surprised that May and Grant getting in on for some time now didn't get more talk here - for this show, this is a major character reveal. Alas, I fear it will be a plot point later in the season.

Well I think it's because, like a lot of other things on this show, it was pretty unremarkable. We got a "big" reveal about it at the beginning, and then nothing after except May's "you're late" comment when Ward shows up. Other than that it doesn't actually change anything or affect either character in any kind of tangible way. Like you said it might turn out to be a big deal later, but for now it was just kind of a "Oh, well I guess that's neat" moment more than anything else.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

VDay posted:

Well I think it's because, like a lot of other things on this show, it was pretty unremarkable. We got a "big" reveal about it at the beginning, and then nothing after except May's "you're late" comment when Ward shows up. Other than that it doesn't actually change anything or affect either character in any kind of tangible way. Like you said it might turn out to be a big deal later, but for now it was just kind of a "Oh, well I guess that's neat" moment more than anything else.

The funny thing about this though is that when it happened at the end of episode 8 plenty of people were saying that this clearly means it's going to be a huge deal and people will find out about it and it will be a large chunk of the drama. For them to downplay it to be "pretty unremarkable" is not what people expected to happen.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

jivjov posted:

Dammit, we've been over this. We are not getting a monkey.

Fitz IS the monkey.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Olibu posted:

Maybe I'm too forgiving of the show, but I really like what it's doing. I don't need an overarching villain. Chuck barely had one for most of its existence, though I will admit it was at its peak when Superman was the main villain.

I think people who liked Chuck are probably very forgiving of this shows problems because it fills that campy action tv show space that was left by Chuck which had a lot of problems itself

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

VDay posted:

Did you forget Ward's super awkward look when Skye said she thought May needed to get laid? There were at least 2 callbacks to the bedroom bit in this episode alone.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Oasx posted:

I assume you have some form of proof for the fact that this is happening?

I said that probably wasn't going to happen, sorry if that wasn't clear in my pre-coffee rambling.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Olibu posted:

Chuck had far more charm and personality than this show currently does.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Deakul posted:

Chuck had far more charm and personality than this show currently does.

I think you mean Fandral.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Toshimo posted:

Did you forget Ward's super awkward look when Skye said she thought May needed to get laid? There were at least 2 callbacks to the bedroom bit in this episode alone.

Also, considering this episode was largely an examination of May as a character, it gave her an extra dimension and showed how few people (even those with whom she has an ongoing sexual relationship) actually know her. I thought the nickname origin stories were an effective way of presenting that.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Speaking of May's nickname, I do wonder if the reason she doesn't like being called the "Cavalry" is because it's supposed to be "Calvary." It refers to where Jesus was crucified, which makes me think that her botched encounter with the fanatical religious group had something to do with that, but it could also be defined as "an experience or occasion of extreme suffering, especially mental suffering." (From Dictionary.com) It's probably a stretch, but that alternate definition really fits her.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I think that's stretching it pretty far, dude. From the sounds of it, it's more like calling a fireman who saved everyone but a ten year old boy who he watched get engulfed by flames "The Rescuer." Something traumatic happened and everyone is complementing her on it.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I think it is kind of funny how Coulson went on and on about how May changed, but the exact same thing is being said by everyone about him.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

The knowing look May made right as it ended makes me think Skye and May are banging.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

notthegoatseguy posted:

I think it is kind of funny how Coulson went on and on about how May changed, but the exact same thing is being said by everyone about him.

Yes that is probably not accidental.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Some people told me that May did the prank in the end, but how can they be so sure? All we saw was a knowing smirk on her face as she listened in on the dude complaining about the prank. They didn't actually show anyone set it up. :iiam:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Some of you folks are being a little dense about this.

Someone literally says about May [paraphrased] " she used to be fun and happy."

They spend the whole ep focusing on how dark and violent she apparently is.

No one 'fesses up to the prank, cut to May, listening in and smirking.

There is 1000% no other explanation other than " May did it, proving she's not totally without some lightheartedness."

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

El Murguista posted:

The knowing look May made right as it ended makes me think Skye and May are banging.

Obviously. Skye did prescribe it!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Feenix posted:

There is 1000% no other explanation other than " May did it, proving she's not totally without some lightheartedness."

She's smiling because she knows it was Ward. You see, they didn't have sex, he just went in to tell her about his idea for the prank. Also to gently caress.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Feenix posted:

I believe you missed a joke, friend.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

El Murguista posted:

May is going to systematically lay the entire main cast through the next two seasons.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

Evil Sagan posted:

Some people told me that May did the prank in the end, but how can they be so sure? All we saw was a knowing smirk on her face as she listened in on the dude complaining about the prank. They didn't actually show anyone set it up. :iiam:

May was practicing her smiles.

greatn posted:

She's smiling because she knows it was Ward. You see, they didn't have sex, he just went in to tell her about his idea for the prank. Also to gently caress.

No no no it was the God-hates-me lady who isn't screwing anyone thank you very much.

McSpanky posted:

May is going to systematically lay the entire main cast through the next two seasons.

Who she's doing next would make a great season finale cliffhanger.

Pyzza Rouge fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 30, 2013

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I think we have enough evidence now that Coulson's arch nemesis will be one of those guys who does not keep things MINT IN BOX.

"THEY ONLY MADE 20 OF THOSE YOU EVIL SON OF A BITCH"

Professor Dog
Jul 25, 2007

Bad Moon posted:

I think we have enough evidence now that Coulson's arch nemesis will be one of those guys who does not keep things MINT IN BOX.

"THEY ONLY MADE 20 OF THOSE YOU EVIL SON OF A BITCH"

Benicio del Toro cameo.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
That was actually one of the best gags the show has come up with, especially when Coulson does that choked little whine when they blow up his spy watch.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

El Murguista posted:

May was practicing her smiles.

New theory! All this hinting that Coulson is actually a replicant clone of himself is a red herring to distract us from the truth: May is the actual robot!

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Flesh Forge posted:

That was actually one of the best gags the show has come up with, especially when Coulson does that choked little whine when they blow up his spy watch.

I also love Coulson's arm folding whenever there's a door breach. I can imagine him instructing a SHIELD strike force and going, "Okay, when you set the charge, just turn around and fold your arms like so..."

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
And the fact that Coulson will always wear a suit even during an amphibious assault. The guy has class oozing from his pores.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

PunkBoy posted:

I also love Coulson's arm folding whenever there's a door breach. I can imagine him instructing a SHIELD strike force and going, "Okay, when you set the charge, just turn around and fold your arms like so..."

That's kind of the first thing he does that shows he's not just some guy in a suit in Iron Man 1.

"is that going to hack the lock?"
*Boom*

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Chloe Bennet did an AMA.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1rsdfn/i_am_chloe_bennet_and_i_play_skye_from_marvels/

She's actually great.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Her Twitter is pretty funny too.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Flesh Forge posted:

Is it really, really, REALLY this big a loving deal whether Character A's penis went into Character B's vagina?

JerikTelorian posted:

gently caress, my shipping diagrams.

I guess I'm not sleeping tonight.
It is a big deal if you were shipping Sky/Ward, as a lot of people were, and the show was certainly leading everyone on that path.

Also 50 year old women pretty much never get to sleep with men half their age, even on shows aimed at 50 year old women. Who expected Agents of Shield to be boldly breaking network boundaries?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

And the fact that Coulson will always wear a suit even during an amphibious assault. The guy has class oozing from his pores.

I like that the MOMENT he was out of the room with the potential telekinetic, he had his tie firmly back in place.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Cardboard Box A posted:

Also 50 year old women pretty much never get to sleep with men half their age, even on shows aimed at 50 year old women. Who expected Agents of Shield to be boldly breaking network boundaries?

I'm pretty sure if you surveyed 100 random people from this show's audience, less than a dozen would be able to peg Ming Na's age within 5 years.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Toshimo posted:

I'm pretty sure if you surveyed 100 random people from this show's audience, less than a dozen would be able to peg Ming Na's age within 5 years.

Seriously. In the last episode's opening scene, where we see May topless from behind, I didn't know if it was her or Skye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Came here to post this, she's pretty :cool:.

• Locked thread