Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

DrManiac posted:

Is there anyone in particular I should use to dissuade people from attacking me? As far as offense goes I can get by with my wolverine and thor but for some reason I get attacked a bunch.

Here's a list of dudes I have

Classic Spider-Man (only purple power)
Classic Storm (all powers) LV 32
Modern Captain America (all powers) LV21
Grey suit Black Widow (only purple) LV 18
Model 35 Ironman (all powers) LV 35
Model 40 Ironman (only red power)
Moonstone (only purple and red powers) LV 11
Original Blackwidow (Only blue and purple) LV 8

None of those dudes are high enough level that I would think twice about attacking you. You might just have to put up with getting attacked for a while. There's always another tournament around the bend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I found myself a whale for Reinforcements. :toot:
Poor bastard is always ~200 points above me so I get 30-40 points for beating him, and he keeps attacking back. I guess because he has an 11k Captain and 9k IM40 he thinks it's taking a lot for me to beat him, but it's actually only 100 ISO of AP boosts to nuke down his non-maxed Thor and then I barely get scratched because I just deny him the only two colours he can mount attacks with.

ImperialGuard posted:

I just got into my first Classic Storm duel, hillarious poo poo. Got enough red AP that my Thor could nuke down their Thor and IM40. Good thing medkits replenish as quickly as they do these days.
Goons have been mailing me medkits faster than I can actually use them today - both events have boosted Captain Americas so he's taking every single gem that isn't Wolverine Green, and it's very rare that I need to use more than a single heal for anything but a complete wipe.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji

SchwarzKreuz posted:

What types of team comps are people using for the reinforcement tournament? I'm thinking of trying IM40, Widow (Classic) and Storm Classic when I start it tomorrow.

Myself I'm using:

65 Wolverine (5/5/2)
41 Captain America (3/5/5) Boosted
37 Black Widow Classic (2/4) Boosted

Widow's purple 7AP theft move is locking down the enemy team all the live long day. I play exclusively on the forest map and when I see the enemy about to gain 5AP of every color I use my Aggressive Recon and zap most of their profit for myself. Not to mention I get my own 5AP of every color too (if I start a board and see that attainable I go for that first). Widow's heal is pretty easy to throw out at least twice most fights keeping all the scrapes and bruises at bay. Wolverine's strike tiles are the bread and butter for ripping through all the IM40s and Caps with over 10k health, I laugh at these and feast on the fat points hiding behind them. I'm finding myself attacking teams I would otherwise avoid because my strike tiles are just getting to that point. Seriously, level wolverine.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I'm running:

Level 85 Thor
Level 85 wolverine
Level 63 iron man model 40

I get about 1-3 attacks on me a day if any. It has been a very simple tournament for me so far. I'm aiming for the black widow prizes so I am just chilling at 600 points right now.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've updated the OP with build and character recommendations, mainly focussing on 1 and 2-star characters, since by the time you get a 3 star dude you should have a decent idea how you'd like to play and what makes a good character. Take a look and yell at me for any mistakes!

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

I've actually gotten very few attacks on me in the Reinforcements tournament and I'm wondering if it's to do with waiting a couple days to get into a slacker bracket. I know you can attack across brackets, but maybe just having a lower score as a result of being in a less competitive group is enough to make people ignore me.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

SynthOrange posted:

I've updated the OP with build and character recommendations, mainly focussing on 1 and 2-star characters, since by the time you get a 3 star dude you should have a decent idea how you'd like to play and what makes a good character. Take a look and yell at me for any mistakes!

Looks pretty good! I'll throw in a little feedback:

Modern Storm - Personally I'm a fan of 5/5/3 instead of 5/4/4. If I'm running Modern Storm it's primarily as a board shuffler generating AP and resetting unfriendly boards with the Green and Red abilities. Hailstorm isn't high on my priority list for use and is kind of weakened by using the other two abilities to clear portions of the board either via the ability itself or cascaded color matches after using Mistress. I certainly don't think it's the one true build or anything, but merits inclusion.

Classic Storm probably deserves a little more of a detailed description considering behind Thor she's probably the single most important character in the current metagame. Maybe a little something warning about how the passive interacts with other Classic Storms?

Magneto's listing with Daken needs to differentiate between Magneto Now/Magneto Classic. Might be worth tossing a nod to Magneto Classic into the three star section, although you're right by the time you get enough covers to use him they probably know what they're doing.

Good job on the revised OP. Not a lot to criticize there, the three points above are pretty nitpicky.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

There's not much point worrying about defence. It's all so stacked in favour of the player. The AI just can't keep up with boosts and five matches and using the same skill repeatedly on the same turn. The three attempts thing is just icing on the cake.

If someone's determined enough to beat you, they'll manage it somehow. Just try to beat more people than beat you I guess.

Although one thing that always keeps me away is a high level Ragnarok on a Lightning Round, or a Spider-Man I even suspect has the 2 AP stun.

On the other side of things, X-Force Wolverine is something I'll pretty much always fight because nobody ever has a levelled one. Regular Black Widows and Hawkeyes and Juggernauts are easy enough. Modern Storm is simple but can be really frustrating. Regular Iron Man is more a hindrance in the hands of the AI because it loves to throw the Yellow AP into that skill.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Is Loki still kind of a joke? It looks like I got chunked down a good bit and my bracket woke up some more so I am sitting at 5. I already have an X-Force Wolverine with a red and a yellow, so another red might be nice, but X-Force Wolverine doesn't seem that great either?

I'd probably rather have Widow but 10th place is at 550 and I am at 770 in #5, so I am not really expecting to drop to 26th.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

^^^ X-Force Wolverine's strength is basically that he has the highest level cap in the game (until Invisible Woman) and therefore should basically beast all over everyone else. It's balanced by the fact that it's hard to get more than a single cover for him, and like most characters his base special abilities are fairly middling with only 1/2 points in them.

SchwarzKreuz posted:

What types of team comps are people using for the reinforcement tournament? I'm thinking of trying IM40, Widow (Classic) and Storm Classic when I start it tomorrow.
I have a 62 Wolverine, 61 Captain America and 63 Iron Man 40.

They run pretty well together considering the lack of Blue/Purple/Black attack stats - Wolverine pumps out strike tiles and eats what special attacks he can (since he only gets to match greens he gets good mileage out of regen), Cap plays with the reds and blues while waiting for Iron Man to finish a Recharge, at which point the team dumps something in the range of 8-14k damage worth of special attacks.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 29, 2013

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

Is Loki still kind of a joke?

Loki isn't very good normally, but he takes off in Lightning Rounds in the High-Tech area. I guess any of those boosted villains with good crit ability would be similarly powerful, but it's Loki who's my highest level of those at the moment.

His skills are pretty situational, but in the right situations they're wonderful.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

McDragon posted:

Although one thing that always keeps me away is a high level Ragnarok on a Lightning Round, or a Spider-Man I even suspect has the 2 AP stun.

Spidey isn't so bad even with the 2ap stun as long as he's not paired with something like a Classic Storm or maybe Bullseye that needs to be focused down quick. Most of the Spideys I come across have around 3k HP so I just need to deny him blue matches long enough to get my first Thor cycle online. Denying the AI two sets of blue matches for a couple turns to burn down a low HP target is pretty easy, and completely trivial if you use boosts.

I'd put Spidey in the same category as Classic Storm, a soft target but dangerous enough to be worth being cautious with.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay, fixed up those bits of the OP. I really do like having a lot of strike tiles though, and Storm Modern's red ability doesnt need to be fired off that often. Set it off too fast and you're wasting points for the return you get. Having lots of attack tiles combined with someone that can throw down strike tiles is a horrifying nightmare though. :getin:

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 29, 2013

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

SynthOrange posted:

Okay, fixed up those bits of the OP. I really do like having a lot of strike tiles though, and Storm Modern's red ability doesnt need to be fired off that often. Set it off too fast and you're wasting points for the return you get. Having lots of attack tiles combined with someone that can throw down strike tiles is a horrifying nightmare though. :getin:

Yeah it's a fun ability, just felt like it was borderline enough to be worth a mention. Changes look perfect, good stuff.

They really seem to have driven the number of health pack friend bonuses through the roof. I haven't recieved hardly any ISOs, but I'm up to 21 health packs.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
Been playing for about a week. What's the best way to move past my intro one star characters? I have Iron Man 35, Storm and Black Widow at high 30, low 40s. I've found a few Moonstones and have Cap to nearly 30. Do I just keep doing events or is the something to focus on?

SchwarzKreuz
Jun 25, 2003

Chuds McGreedy posted:

Myself I'm using:

65 Wolverine (5/5/2)
41 Captain America (3/5/5) Boosted
37 Black Widow Classic (2/4) Boosted

Widow's purple 7AP theft move is locking down the enemy team all the live long day. I play exclusively on the forest map and when I see the enemy about to gain 5AP of every color I use my Aggressive Recon and zap most of their profit for myself. Not to mention I get my own 5AP of every color too (if I start a board and see that attainable I go for that first). Widow's heal is pretty easy to throw out at least twice most fights keeping all the scrapes and bruises at bay. Wolverine's strike tiles are the bread and butter for ripping through all the IM40s and Caps with over 10k health, I laugh at these and feast on the fat points hiding behind them. I'm finding myself attacking teams I would otherwise avoid because my strike tiles are just getting to that point. Seriously, level wolverine.

I generally stay far away from the forest map because I've had my entire team wiped from the environmental tiles before. Do you guys only match environmental tiles and ignore everything else until you can unleash the forest fire move?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Wow, got a purple Spidey from red iso followed by a yellow Spidey from a standard token. Thanks!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

SchwarzKreuz posted:

I generally stay far away from the forest map because I've had my entire team wiped from the environmental tiles before. Do you guys only match environmental tiles and ignore everything else until you can unleash the forest fire move?

I only ever use the forest fire move if I get a crit environmental tile match, and even then lately I've been shying away from it. Four uses of the +5 AP ability are more than enough to clean up the whole opposing team. It is pretty fun turning most of the board red and watching crits spam everywhere though.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

BDawg posted:

Been playing for about a week. What's the best way to move past my intro one star characters? I have Iron Man 35, Storm and Black Widow at high 30, low 40s. I've found a few Moonstones and have Cap to nearly 30. Do I just keep doing events or is the something to focus on?
Keeping a foot in the events is always good - even if you find you can't go far, you'll get ISO and some recruit tokens for participating in almost all of them.

Most of the one-star villains are available in the later Prologue missions, and you'll start getting the two-star heroes from there as well.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If I see the enemy team crit a forest environment tile, it's time to hit the retreat button because if I dont, it's a guaranteed team wipe.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Is there anything after Ragnarok or am I done with the single player game when I beat him? How else am I supposed to level up for the multiplier when everyone else destroys me?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Philosopher King posted:

Is there anything after Ragnarok or am I done with the single player game when I beat him? How else am I supposed to level up for the multiplier when everyone else destroys me?

Are you redoing the missions for all the rewards? Each mission has up to 4 rewards plus the usual 20 iso 'you tried' token reward given out at random. There's also the low level brackets and Shield Training you can do.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji

SchwarzKreuz posted:

Yeah, if you're that super unlucky they get a crit tile match, you just retreat. I save more resources (pretty much team health after a fight and medkit usage) on the forest map than the other two maps that it's my default choice. Having that much AP flooding in all at once just keeps a single turn of yours rolling for so long that you barely get scratched while you flatten the enemy. Having a team with low cost high function powers makes the most out of this, like wolverine's feral claws at rank 5 (costs 3 green AP).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thor/Wolverine are a great team on a forest fire map. Oh no Wolverine is making strike tiles! Thor has red tiles that turn into yellow tiles that turn into green tiles! Wolverine is making strike tiles! Repeat. :allears:

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Are you redoing the missions for all the rewards? Each mission has up to 4 rewards plus the usual 20 iso 'you tried' token reward given out at random. There's also the low level brackets and Shield Training you can do.

Yeah,

Does doing that open up more areas outside of the prologue?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its pretty much events outside of the prologue. There's PvE events and PvP ones. PvEs generally give you missions with guest heros you can do, but generally you'll complete lower level ones until you get enough rewards to level your heros up. Dont spread your iso out too thin, you'll want to focus on your main team. Captain America is a good character when powered and levelled up, so throw some his way as well.

Kravdraa
Jun 10, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

Thor/Wolverine are a great team on a forest fire map. Oh no Wolverine is making strike tiles! Thor has red tiles that turn into yellow tiles that turn into green tiles! Wolverine is making strike tiles! Repeat. :allears:

Circle of life...

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I'm out of space and hero points and I don't want to sell any of my covers, including a maxed out Classic Hawkeye D=

I also drew a red Ragnarok out of another 500 ISO lottery. This is kinda dumb. I've gotten 3 three-star covers out of them in as many days.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Buy more space then. :colbert:

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

SchwarzKreuz posted:

First choice is Wolverine 65, IM40 62 and Cap 50. Switch in Thor 85 and Cstorm 85 for the last two when they need to heal up.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I wonder if they'll try the three events running thing again this weekend. I hated and loved that shti.

dabre_aiamim
Oct 23, 2008
Lipstick Apathy
Just joined a slacker bracket on the Reinforcements today. It was pretty easy to get to first:

Unfortunately, now we're playing the crabbing game. I'm back down to third.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Joined Reinforcement a few hours ago, and got to #4 with 600 for the Black Widow before being knocked back down to #6. I actually wanna get knocked down to like 26 or something cause I feel like I'd probably get more use out of Black Widow Original than Loki.

I'm so glad that Captain America is boosted for both of the current events. Made investing ISO on him incredibly worthwhile.

Is Hawkeye (Modern) worth keeping? I got two red covers on him from a Standard and Heroic Token from the Reinforcement Event, and might end up getting another one from the Unstable ISO Ranking, so I'm wondering if I should just build one up while I'm at it.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Joined Reinforcement a few hours ago, and got to #4 with 600 for the Black Widow before being knocked back down to #6. I actually wanna get knocked down to like 26 or something cause I feel like I'd probably get more use out of Black Widow Original than Loki.

I'm so glad that Captain America is boosted for both of the current events. Made investing ISO on him incredibly worthwhile.

Is Hawkeye (Modern) worth keeping? I got two red covers on him from a Standard and Heroic Token from the Reinforcement Event, and might end up getting another one from the Unstable ISO Ranking, so I'm wondering if I should just build one up while I'm at it.

Modern Hawkeye isn't totally useless, but he's not great either. The best use I've found for him is as a third to Wolverine and Daken because of his avoid skill.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

He's pretty useless at the beginning, gets better when skilled up significantly, but is hampered by his main colors (blue and red) being bogarted by common teammates. A Skill-5 Electric or Blast Arrow has its uses, and once in a while they buff him for an event and he's pretty nasty then.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

delfin posted:

He's pretty useless at the beginning, gets better when skilled up significantly, but is hampered by his main colors (blue and red) being bogarted by common teammates. A Skill-5 Electric or Blast Arrow has its uses, and once in a while they buff him for an event and he's pretty nasty then.

Yeah his attacks deals a great damage for not bad ap cost. The 2 turn cooldown is nothing when you get them to level 5. When boosted he is a monster. From the max stat page:

Hawkeye (Modern)

Electric Arrow - Blue
Damage:2456 (Skill Level 5)

Blast Arrow - Red
Damage:1645 (Skill Level 5)

Avoid - Purple

Colour Damage: 11/39/45/9/50/10

Remember his red and blue cost 10 ap. His red attacks the whole team. His blue stuns for 4 turns.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
1500 Point Heroic Token reward == Magneto Classic Blue. :getin:

I bit the bullet and used that Purple I had, so he's 3/1/5 now, going for 5/3/5 instead of 4/5/4 because the blues will be a lot easier to acquire. A full Translocation won't happen that often, but when it does, kablammo.

I'm still on the fence about my best Reinforcements team. I got to 1000 with Spidey - RedMag - Wolverine as my primary and it was quite efficient, but I ran into a IM40 - Cap - Thor team just now and went goggle-eyed at the HP. (Still won, but it was close.) My IM40 is only level 47 so I suppose I ought to level him if they're going to keep buffing him through the roof.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I've mostly been running with Ragnarok, Grey Widow, and IM40. I'm not a big fan of IM40, but I got him up to 65 because they keep buffing him. He's a big pile of hit points at least.

Rag and Widow are fun together. Between his red skill and her purple, I can snipe multiple times a match. At level 5 it hits all enemies for a ton, so it pretty much destroys everything.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Bandire posted:

I've mostly been running with Ragnarok, Grey Widow, and IM40. I'm not a big fan of IM40, but I got him up to 65 because they keep buffing him. He's a big pile of hit points at least.

Rag and Widow are fun together. Between his red skill and her purple, I can snipe multiple times a match. At level 5 it hits all enemies for a ton, so it pretty much destroys everything.

I'm the same way with Cap. None of his abilities are terribly exciting, but he's at +200% in both reinforcements and the ISO event, so it's hard not to use him, especially having gotten a couple more covers for him through the events. Now I'm torn on what build I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
New tournament, Top Shot. Team up with either Hawkeye (modern) or Dark Hawkeye. Awards are 4* Wolverine, Im40, and Dark Hawkeye.

Deep Winter fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 29, 2013