Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

`Nemesis posted:

They don't really do this intentionally - the flow rate out of the dump box to the spreader was set for whatever speed the truck was traveling, which is going to be very excessive for an intersection. For a momentary stop like a stop sign it's probably not worth loving with the controls to change the flow rate for one second.

Auger speed. And it isn't worth messing with necessarily (even though it's easy in anything set up in the last could of decades), which is why you flip the spreader on and off (which also stops the auger) rather than being a lazy poo poo. Of course, the sooner you empty your load the sooner you get to sit in the yard waiting to get loaded again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

CommieGIR posted:

"I know better how to design suspension than a proffessional engineer. I also secretly hate my car and want it to die a slow agonizing death."

Why do you think that was modified for performance? That is strictly to be low and fit wide wheels.

Which is, of course, the correct way to modify a car.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

This really doesn't belong in this topic, but I wasn't sure where else to post it. I know this has been done before, but it's the first time I've seen this sort of thing in person.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I liked James May's take on the pushme-pullyu car the best.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

hot sauce posted:

For all of the slammed truck love AI shows when pictures like these are posted, does anyone actually have one? I used to have an s10 with a drop on it but put it back to stock (for the most part) when I couldn't get into the driveway of the place I was living in, and eventually sold it :(

oh I do, scraping the frame on speed bumps is the best! Old pic time of right after I cut the fenders to get it lower.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

This really doesn't belong in this topic, but I wasn't sure where else to post it. I know this has been done before, but it's the first time I've seen this sort of thing in person.

'40 chevy:

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

How do you call shotgun in these things?

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Puddin posted:

How do you call shotgun in these things?

Whoever gets in a driver's seat and gets it running and moving first.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I once went with a couple of mates to see our friend, who at the time was in the army. We all got reasonably drunk and my friend's girlfriend was sober driver. As we were stumbling across the parking lot to the car, I called shotgun. Friend and his buddy from the same unit immediately shouted "CHALLENGE!!" and without warning dropped their pants around their ankles and began to have a hopping race across the parking lot to see who would get to the door first.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Yeah the preemptive salting is exceedingly annoying. They just dump it all over as soon as it starts dipping below freezing, even though it's undoubtedly going to rain a bit when it's above zero and all that salt is going to just wash right into the rivers. Then when it actually snows, they've wasted half the salt budget on poisoning the gulf of mexico.

On the other hand, when it goes from slush in the evening to -10 by midnight, I thank God for pre-salted roads, because otherwise my delivery van would have killed me by now. Don't know why the hell the boss thinks we need a 15-passenger Ford to deliver pastries, but it's like driving an ice skate, even with snow tires and a couple hundred extra pounds of flour over the rear wheels.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Slavvy posted:

I once went with a couple of mates to see our friend, who at the time was in the army. We all got reasonably drunk and my friend's girlfriend was sober driver. As we were stumbling across the parking lot to the car, I called shotgun. Friend and his buddy from the same unit immediately shouted "CHALLENGE!!" and without warning dropped their pants around their ankles and began to have a hopping race across the parking lot to see who would get to the door first.

Haha, that is awesome! I want to challenge someone now.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Oh man, thats one of those Maserati tuned Lebarons right?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yes... I really need to make a video of my friend's rare one with the turbo 16v. It sounds right out of 80's rally.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A turbo 4 cylinder mated to a 3 speed auto. Sounds stellar.

Reading about american cars from that era is incredibly depressing for some reason. They just seem so loving poo poo compared to their japanese equivalents, but I've never really seen any in person or worked on them so maybe I'm not seeing it clearly. Are they really as garbage as everything I read makes them seem?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

Reading about american cars from that era is incredibly depressing for some reason. They just seem so loving poo poo compared to their japanese equivalents, but I've never really seen any in person or worked on them so maybe I'm not seeing it clearly. Are they really as garbage as everything I read makes them seem?

5spd manual. :v:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Slavvy posted:

The C4 Corvette (from a performance standpoint) and Fiero were actually excellent cars, but were surrounded by a sea of poo poo so are overlooked.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Slavvy posted:

Some were Mitsubishi V6, and some were manual.

They aren't that terrible actually, they were just really, really, really overpriced for a gussied up Lebaron.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I was at the grocery store this morning and saw a black S10 with sideskirts attached to the truck with packing tape. Only the top of the sideskirts were taped to the truck so they were flapping in the wind as it drove.

EDIT: If I wasn't poor I'd own a pickup truck on bags.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Static is the only acceptable form of lowering.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

ultimateforce posted:

Static is the only acceptable form of lowering.

My T-Bird has about a 3" static drop. I really wanna bag it as scraping my rear end when pulling into my own driveway is getting old.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gently caress bags, if I'm gonna have a car that goes up and down I don't want to be half-assed. Hydraulics all the way. I'm being serious.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Kill-9 posted:

My T-Bird has about a 3" static drop. I really wanna bag it as scraping my rear end when pulling into my own driveway is getting old.

My car is on lowering springs and the front bumper bottom lip is thrashed. I mounted my licensed plate so the bottom sits a little lower than the lip. This way if the license plate is scraping I know I am close. I am close every single time I leave or enter the driveway.
:suicide:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Is this where I can post terrible redneck-rigged car stuff that's sure to cause serious injury and/or death?

:nws: disclaimer because Liveleak: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e07_1385591320 :nws:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Everyday Lurker posted:

Is this where I can post terrible redneck-rigged car stuff that's sure to cause serious injury and/or death?

:nws: disclaimer because Liveleak: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e07_1385591320 :nws:

:gonk:

Nothing else will suffice.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I guess if you are afraid of that you probably aren't the target market. There aren't really any bubblewrapped-world ways of splitting firewood, they all involve extreme force, hard work, and/or swinging/turning heavy pointy things.

I would prefer the usual splitting maul or hydraulic ram log splitter but would use that if I needed to.

e: and I am pretty sure that is a product that is actually for sale, not some rigged up bullshit. I have seen it around a few times.

Here's the website for one maker: http://www.thestickler.com/index.html

kastein fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 29, 2013

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

kastein posted:

I guess if you are afraid of that you probably aren't the target market. There aren't really any bubblewrapped-world ways of splitting firewood, they all involve extreme force, hard work, and/or swinging/turning heavy pointy things.

I would prefer the usual splitting maul or hydraulic ram log splitter but would use that if I needed to.

e: and I am pretty sure that is a product that is actually for sale, not some rigged up bullshit. I have seen it around a few times.

Here's the website for one maker: http://www.thestickler.com/index.html

I promise that ain't the "safest" log splitter out there. I'd use a hydraulic one or a splitting maul all day before that Bioshock bullshit.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah I'm pretty skeptical about that claim, just saying there really is no 100% safe wood splitting setup, unless you buy a $20k+ automatic cutter/splitter machine to tow behind a fullsize truck.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I will admit that setting it up (either on a vehicle or with a dedicated stationary engine) with the power coming from a wood-fed gasifier would have a certain elegance to it.

Aureus
Nov 20, 2006

kastein posted:

Yeah I'm pretty skeptical about that claim, just saying there really is no 100% safe wood splitting setup, unless you buy a $20k+ automatic cutter/splitter machine to tow behind a fullsize truck.

There are however much safer ways to use the car mounted one than how they're going about it. Like a nice Mallet to smack the wood with so that it catches the splitter instead of leaning your frigging leg into it

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

CharlesM posted:

It's Japan. It's intentionally ridiculous; it's a form of self-expression. I doubt it gets driven much except to show off.

What? They do that everywhere else in the world.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Aureus posted:

There are however much safer ways to use the car mounted one than how they're going about it. Like a nice Mallet to smack the wood with so that it catches the splitter instead of leaning your frigging leg into it

Yeah, that and wearing work gloves. The splinters!

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Root Bear posted:

This one almost looks like it's squatting to pee:

What's really loving with me is that retarded windshield spoiler.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

PopeOnARope posted:

What's really loving with me is that retarded windshield spoiler.

I think that's functional if you have a roof rack installed. Bloody stupid without one though (as is leaving a rack on when you're not using it)

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

dissss posted:

I think that's functional if you have a roof rack installed. Bloody stupid without one though (as is leaving a rack on when you're not using it)

Sometimes you just gotta be prepared.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I really don't understand the whole "roof rack" thing.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Chinatown posted:

I really don't understand the whole "roof rack" thing.

A place to put things that will not fit in your vehicle.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

N is for Nipples posted:

A place to put things that will not fit in your vehicle.

"A place to show off your fixie."

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I get it, sort of, because I used to run a [stock] mkiii with a roof rack and both a thule box on it in the winter and a couple bike racks in the summer. But all the "dubber" dudes I knew would seriously find bikes on craigslist, paint them with a rattlecan to make them match their vw's paint scheme, and then toss them on a bike rack. Not to use, mind you - just to accent their vw with a hint of "I do things other than be a smug dubber rear end in a top hat." It really bugged me. They literally never took the bikes off, they just sat up there all summer long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

kastein posted:

Is there something wrong with a loving hatchet, or an axe for bigger pieces? I split wood all the time, and it has literally never occurred to me that I needed anything but a hatchet and some hard work. If you're swinging it correctly, it's way safer than that crazy rear end contraption.