Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Sweet Jesus, just heard from my contact in the UK that Google's shipped my N5 already, 12 days ahead of date. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working
Would I be able to use an unlocked Android phone (Nexus 5, HTC One, or Galaxy 4) purchased in the US in Japan (by swapping out the sim?)? I had a Japanese iphone5 that cant be used in the states and I would prefer to avoid taking that hit if I move again in 6 months. I wasn't sure if US/Japanese phones an networks are totally incompatible or it was a problem with iphones specifically.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

False posted:

Would I be able to use an unlocked Android phone (Nexus 5, HTC One, or Galaxy 4) purchased in the US in Japan (by swapping out the sim?)? I had a Japanese iphone5 that cant be used in the states and I would prefer to avoid taking that hit if I move again in 6 months. I wasn't sure if US/Japanese phones an networks are totally incompatible or it was a problem with iphones specifically.

Yes, as long as the phones have the appropriate bands for the specific carrier you're wanting to use overseas.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

bull3964 posted:

Qi can trickle charge, it just depends on the phone and charger.
Mine definitely doesn't do trickle charge. It seems to be topping it off every few percent of loss. Is that an issue?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Mine definitely doesn't do trickle charge. It seems to be topping it off every few percent of loss. Is that an issue?

Shouldn't really hurt anything. Modern battery life is based off of full charge/recharge cycles so many small charges should be the same as one larger one. Main annoyance is if your phone keeps waking up after it is charged.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Interestingly not. I have a N5 and its display stays off, despite topping the battery off. It seems it tells the plate to stop supplying energy, but doesn't tell it to turn off charging mode. I'd notice it, because the plate beeps initially recognizing the phone.

The plate I bought is that one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DMZPQIG

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I was wondering, just to cover myself in case one day I want to switch back but is there a way to switch a converted T-Mobile HTC One > GPe back into the Sense version? I'm loving Kit Kat and all that right now but I just wanted to know for the sake of knowing really.

Could I just run the 4.3 RUU that HTC released and be good with that or what?

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Skeezy posted:

Yes, although you'd still have the Google splash screen, as HTC don't put that in their RUUs. You'd have to flash the original one separately.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Apparently there's evidence for a LG-D830. Which is interesting, because the Nexus 5 is the LG-D82x. This better not be another Nexus for Verizon, which gets neglected some more.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Skeezy posted:

I was wondering, just to cover myself in case one day I want to switch back but is there a way to switch a converted T-Mobile HTC One > GPe back into the Sense version? I'm loving Kit Kat and all that right now but I just wanted to know for the sake of knowing really.

If you're device is S-OFF (which it most likely is) then I recommend going to htcdev.com and download the RUU for the Developer Edition so you won't get T-Mobile bloatware and faster updates.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

bull3964 posted:

Shouldn't really hurt anything. Modern battery life is based off of full charge/recharge cycles so many small charges should be the same as one larger one. Main annoyance is if your phone keeps waking up after it is charged.

Trickle charging is still bad for lithium-polymer/ion batteries.

Zarbo
Mar 1, 2013

by Ralp

grack posted:

Trickle charging is still bad for lithium-polymer/ion batteries.
Is trickle charging always harmful to the batteries or just when it doesn't have an external controller?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Anyone else getting a Moto X on Monday? I'm wondering if I should get the white or black front. Any Moto X owners care to chime in with an opinion on which looks better?

e: And has there been any word on them selling the OEM wood backs at a later date if I want to switch mine out?

d[-.-]b fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 30, 2013

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Interestingly not. I have a N5 and its display stays off, despite topping the battery off. It seems it tells the plate to stop supplying energy, but doesn't tell it to turn off charging mode. I'd notice it, because the plate beeps initially recognizing the phone.

The plate I bought is that one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DMZPQIG

That's what you get for buying cheap Chinese crap. That's the LuguLake charger with a different logo silk screened on there.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Zarbo posted:

Is trickle charging always harmful to the batteries or just when it doesn't have an external controller?

Phone charging controllers are programmed to show a full charge at something like 90-93% capacity to take in to account trickle charging. Constantly feeding lithium chemistry batteries current when fully charged is pretty bad for battery life.

The problem with trickle charging is that it can screw with the controller given enough time. Same reason you're not supposed to keep a laptop plugged in when the battery is fully charged.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I've heard people say so much about batteries, I don't think anyone really knows 100% what's good or bad for modern batteries anymore.

I've heard multiple things, such as:

• You need to "calibrate" the battery when you first get it by letting it drain to 0%, then charging to 100%.
  • You should remove the phone from the charger when it looks like it's 100% THEN plug it back in.
  • Qi charging is bad for the lifespan because of heat/magnets/charges too fast
  • The battery lasts longer when you charge from AC/USB/Qi
  • The battery will stop holding a charge after 1/2/3 years and you need a new phone/battery
  • Trickle charging is good/bad on batteries
  • You should "calibrate" the battery once a week by dropping it to 0% and then charging up to 100%
  • You should never let a battery drop below 50%/40%/30%/20%...etc.
  • Battery saving apps work/don't work.

I'm not sure what exactly is or isn't applicable for modern batteries as every person and/or website has their own different thing that they swear is true.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

I have a weird question--yesterday I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 for $159 (the 7" model). I was looking at the Samsung Galaxy Note III and it's $634 on Amazon (out of contract of course). Why is there such a huge price difference? If tablets have come down so much, why not phones, too? Just curious.

1. Phones are more expensive than tablets bc of R&D and radio licenses

2. You're comparing the cheapest tablet with the most expensive phone. There are phones that cost $150-200 (galaxy ace, Moto g) and $600-700 tablets (Note 10.1 w LTE, 32gb iPad Air).

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Allow me to give you free stuff, or I will stalk you and poison your family.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I've heard people say so much about batteries, I don't think anyone really knows 100% what's good or bad for modern batteries anymore.

I've heard multiple things, such as:

• You need to "calibrate" the battery when you first get it by letting it drain to 0%, then charging to 100%.
  • You should remove the phone from the charger when it looks like it's 100% THEN plug it back in.
  • Qi charging is bad for the lifespan because of heat/magnets/charges too fast
  • The battery lasts longer when you charge from AC/USB/Qi
  • The battery will stop holding a charge after 1/2/3 years and you need a new phone/battery
  • Trickle charging is good/bad on batteries
  • You should "calibrate" the battery once a week by dropping it to 0% and then charging up to 100%
  • You should never let a battery drop below 50%/40%/30%/20%...etc.
  • Battery saving apps work/don't work.

I'm not sure what exactly is or isn't applicable for modern batteries as every person and/or website has their own different thing that they swear is true.

I feel your pain. But if you are willing to spend a little time understanding the chemistry of batteries you can usually see through most of the bull poo poo.

The main thing to understand is that (as of right now) most commercial batteries are essentially an electrolyte chemical reaction process. Essentially electrons are forced through a circuit that balances out the chemical reaction. The problem is that even when the terminals of the battery are not connected to a circuit that allows the migration of the electrons you still get some discharge internally. When you charge a battery you basically force the chemical reaction to reverse itself. The problem is that most batteries have a sort of matrix that holds the ions. When you charge and discharge the battery the matrix starts to degrade and becomes less efficient at passing ions and electrons (super hand wavy right here).

Essentially the point is that with any chemical reaction it's only a matter of time before entropy takes over and it all brakes down. With most modern batteries you essentially get a couple hundred full charge cycles (500 or so maybe). Even if you don't use the battery it's still degrading and using up your charge cycles.

As someone previously pointed out, the problem with saying something like "I lost %20 of my charge" is that there isn't currently a way to really know how much charge is left in the battery. With the very best battery controllers you could count the electrons going in and the electrons going out but you could never guess how many electrons were left. You might put in 100 electrons and get 80 out one day and put in 80 electrons the next day and get 100 out. All battery controllers do is try to estimate based on statistical information about the kind of battery it is. Usually it's just an adjusted trend line based on knowledge about the specific battery, ie how many charge cycles it's been through. All that mumbo jumbo about conditioning a battery is really just hoping that the battery controller will adjust to the new state of the battery.

Lithium ion batteries have a self discharge rate of about 5% to 10% per month. So the idea behind a trickle charge is that it counteracts this kind of thing.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Noxious posted:

Lithium ion batteries have a self discharge rate of about 5% to 10% per month. So the idea behind a trickle charge is that it counteracts this kind of thing.

The problem is trickle charging charges a lithium battery way, way faster then it will self-discharge. That's bad.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
The bottom line is there's little you need to do to maintain a smartphone battery. Generally just charge it when you can and forget about it. Life's too short to worry about how to get a few extra charge cycles out of your battery, seriously, especially when the factors that will effect battery life significantly are out of your control most of the time.

Any reference to calibration isn't calibrating the battery, it's calibrating the battery meter, which is only an approximation of how much power remains in the battery.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I picked up an Otterbox for my Maxx today and was wondering if anyone has tried using a wireless charger with this combo yet. I got the Commuter so it's on the thinner side but still a little bulky (fwiw I really like it and I'm fuckin flakey about cases).

I'm not dying to get a wireless charger but the idea is neat so I have a few on my amazon wishlists so I may well get one for Christmas.

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Allow me to give you free stuff, or I will stalk you and poison your family.
Lastly, heat is a real problem. The hotter the battery the faster the chemistry will break down. As for the trickle charge, in theory the battery controller should be the one regulating the flow of current to the battery whether you are using "Qi" or you are using the usb/wired port. Unfortunately it's tough to know for sure how much trickle charge is actually needed. It's also possible that manufacturers design it to guarantee a battery will be past it's life right around the end of warranty :tinfoil: who knows.

But essentially there are two things you should avoid in order to keep your battery happy. Excessive heat, ie. super hot car dash board for 8 hours. Supper deep discharges on a regular basis. Most good battery controllers should prevent deep cycles though so you shouldn't really worry about that one.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Noxious posted:

I feel your pain. But if you are willing to spend a little time understanding the chemistry of batteries you can usually see through most of the bull poo poo.

The main thing to understand is that (as of right now) most commercial batteries are essentially an electrolyte chemical reaction process. Essentially electrons are forced through a circuit that balances out the chemical reaction. The problem is that even when the terminals of the battery are not connected to a circuit that allows the migration of the electrons you still get some discharge internally. When you charge a battery you basically force the chemical reaction to reverse itself. The problem is that most batteries have a sort of matrix that holds the ions. When you charge and discharge the battery the matrix starts to degrade and becomes less efficient at passing ions and electrons (super hand wavy right here).

Essentially the point is that with any chemical reaction it's only a matter of time before entropy takes over and it all brakes down. With most modern batteries you essentially get a couple hundred full charge cycles (500 or so maybe). Even if you don't use the battery it's still degrading and using up your charge cycles.

As someone previously pointed out, the problem with saying something like "I lost %20 of my charge" is that there isn't currently a way to really know how much charge is left in the battery. With the very best battery controllers you could count the electrons going in and the electrons going out but you could never guess how many electrons were left. You might put in 100 electrons and get 80 out one day and put in 80 electrons the next day and get 100 out. All battery controllers do is try to estimate based on statistical information about the kind of battery it is. Usually it's just an adjusted trend line based on knowledge about the specific battery, ie how many charge cycles it's been through. All that mumbo jumbo about conditioning a battery is really just hoping that the battery controller will adjust to the new state of the battery.

DarkJC posted:

The bottom line is there's little you need to do to maintain a smartphone battery. Generally just charge it when you can and forget about it. Life's too short to worry about how to get a few extra charge cycles out of your battery, seriously, especially when the factors that will effect battery life significantly are out of your control most of the time.

Any reference to calibration isn't calibrating the battery, it's calibrating the battery meter, which is only an approximation of how much power remains in the battery.

Noxious posted:

Lastly, heat is a real problem. The hotter the battery the faster the chemistry will break down. As for the trickle charge, in theory the battery controller should be the one regulating the flow of current to the battery whether you are using "Qi" or you are using the usb/wired port. Unfortunately it's tough to know for sure how much trickle charge is actually needed. It's also possible that manufacturers design it to guarantee a battery will be past it's life right around the end of warranty :tinfoil: who knows.

But essentially there are two things you should avoid in order to keep your battery happy. Excessive heat, ie. super hot car dash board for 8 hours. Supper deep discharges on a regular basis. Most good battery controllers should prevent deep cycles though so you shouldn't really worry about that one.

All very good information, something I didn't really think about but makes sense, actually. Thanks for the science lesson!

Mostly all I do it only charge it if I know I'm going somewhere or if the phone says "Hey, charge your battery". Is that good enough?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

ThermoPhysical posted:

All very good information, something I didn't really think about but makes sense, actually. Thanks for the science lesson!

Mostly all I do it only charge it if I know I'm going somewhere or if the phone says "Hey, charge your battery". Is that good enough?

Charging opportunistically is a better method for people who use their phones a lot.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hadlock posted:

That's what you get for buying cheap Chinese crap. That's the LuguLake charger with a different logo silk screened on there.
Is that based on similar looks or actual facts? I've seen plenty of chargers in the same format, and they all had something different, even if only the charging LED layouts.

I was wanting the Tylt Vu, but that thing's not getting closer to Europe anytime, it seems.

--edit:
If you mean this thing:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FXJAISW/

Mine is softtouch plastic like the Nexus, doesn't have those venting holes, a combined red/green LED instead of separate ones and does beep when it detects the phone.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 30, 2013

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="422538595"]
Anyone else getting a Moto X on Monday? I'm wondering if I should get the white or black front. Any Moto X owners care to chime in with an opinion on which looks better?

e: And has there been any word on them selling the OEM wood backs at a later date if I want to switch mine out?

Not an owner, but I've spent a decent amount of time with both. They both look great and pictures online can give you a pretty good clue. The black looks amazing and looks like a sheet and looks great with active notifications.

The big advancage to white, is no one has white fronted phones without buttons. This means you will always be able to recognize your phone. Not a big deal unless you do mobile development with like 10 phones strewn on your desk.

For almost everyone, get black it's gorgeous. The white has cut black cut outs for sensors that are pretty obvious inperson, but both look great with no branding (LG/Verizon/Samsung I'm looking at you).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

So, last night I was helping my wife set up her new Moto X (which she's had sitting in its box for a week. Real phone nerds, us.)

The setup experience was not what I would call smooth. I had to swear up and down that if she got a new phone all her old apps would be on there. I knew that Google would restore apps when she signed in so we were all good.

She boots up the phone, gets to the part where she enters her password (Motorola already had her account on there as part of Motomaker), and up pops a dialog telling her about an update to the phone. She tells it to remind her later. After she clicks "OK" or whatever on that dialog it dumps her to the home screen with no account set up, and when I talked her through the process of adding her account in settings, of course it doesn't restore all her old apps.

Not a great experience for a phone novice.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Thermopyle posted:

So, last night I was helping my wife set up her new Moto X (which she's had sitting in its box for a week. Real phone nerds, us.)

The setup experience was not what I would call smooth. I had to swear up and down that if she got a new phone all her old apps would be on there. I knew that Google would restore apps when she signed in so we were all good.

She boots up the phone, gets to the part where she enters her password (Motorola already had her account on there as part of Motomaker), and up pops a dialog telling her about an update to the phone. She tells it to remind her later. After she clicks "OK" or whatever on that dialog it dumps her to the home screen with no account set up, and when I talked her through the process of adding her account in settings, of course it doesn't restore all her old apps.

Not a great experience for a phone novice.

Yes, welcome to Android. Google has had 5 years to smooth things like this out, and it hasn't.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When I got my Nexus 5 it only brought a handful of apps back. I really don't understand.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
When I got my N5 it put quite literally everything back on, including games I didn't have on my N4 but did have on my N7.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Back when I got my Nexus 4 it put all the apps from my galaxy ace 2 on there, even Samsung specific bullshit like Samsung push service.

Then when I went from the Nexus 4 to the Nexus 5 everything I had on my N4 got downloaded to the N5. So it worked for me I guess.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Anyone else getting the issue with the photoshpere on the N5 where one frame is fine and the rest underexpose to almost completely black?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

api call girl posted:

When I got my N5 it put quite literally everything back on, including games I didn't have on my N4 but did have on my N7.

This is something I run into frequently and it's never consistent. Sometimes restores work great, sometimes it restores apps from a different device, sometimes it just doesn't do it at all.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
on new phones / new setup i purposefully tell it NOT to install apps as it always liked to pull ALL apps i ever installed. Including all the poo poo games my wife downloads all time

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Stick100 posted:

Not an owner, but I've spent a decent amount of time with both. They both look great and pictures online can give you a pretty good clue. The black looks amazing and looks like a sheet and looks great with active notifications.

The big advancage to white, is no one has white fronted phones without buttons. This means you will always be able to recognize your phone. Not a big deal unless you do mobile development with like 10 phones strewn on your desk.

For almost everyone, get black it's gorgeous. The white has cut black cut outs for sensors that are pretty obvious inperson, but both look great with no branding (LG/Verizon/Samsung I'm looking at you).

That helps, thanks. Now to decide on the rest of the look.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Just got the HTC One for my upgrade from Best Buy with no problems for $30. I love but of course I ended up with one that has the purple camera. Hopefully when I go back in a bit will be the last time.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Just butchered a £10 Qi pad and a spare car dock together, I now have a baller electrical tape and superglue Qi car dock :smugdroid:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cakefool posted:

Just butchered a £10 Qi pad and a spare car dock together, I now have a baller electrical tape and superglue Qi car dock :smugdroid:
This needs photos!

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

What do the letters above the signal bars on the Nexus 5 mean? I think it's referring to mobile data signal strength, with 'G' being little-no data, 'H' being better, and 'E' (excellent?) being even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Dominoes posted:

What do the letters above the signal bars on the Nexus 5 mean? I think it's referring to mobile data signal strength, with 'G' being little-no data, 'H' being better, and 'E' (excellent?) being even better.

E is worse than H but better than G

• Locked thread