Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I can't remember, is Rin being Sunny's sister new information? Anyway this all reminds me of Eureka Seven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

RatHat posted:

I can't remember, is Rin being Sunny's sister new information? Anyway this all reminds me of Eureka Seven.

Not even a little bit. We knew that from their first appearance.

Also holy loving poo poo everything else about this chapter. Just goin full crazy again.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Ah, nuts, I think they just took the chapter off Batoto. I was in the middle of reading it and I can't find it anymore.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It'll probably be up again soon with a better translation.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

You can just google for Toriko 259. There are quite a few others with it.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

A little memento from the translation. :mmmhmm:

Neat infodump about the state of the world, and that shot of Grinpatch's internals was... interesting. The layered structure reminded me of cake.

The direction of the arc, as well as the recent discussion make me want to read the Meteor Garlic arc again. It was a fun, (relatively) low stakes romp compared to this and I expect the upcoming chapters to capture that again.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
New Toriko on Thanksgiving is just fitting.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

Everywhere I look, it just keeps replicating the same stupid page over and over again after the 4th page.

:v: just going to wait a few more days.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Why wait when you can HAVE NOW
http://www.batoto.net/read/_/209222/toriko_ch259_by_hi-wa-mata-noboru

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Holy poo poo there's actually an explanation for the crazy giant Toriko Earth+ and of course it's alive and hungry.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I don't know, all this science and explaining is kinda lame. I want to see a man punch a wacky monster and then erotically eat it.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
So it is confirmed that Gourmet Cells probably came from space, which means we're going to go to Gourmet Space and eat the moon, of course.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Well I mean solar eclipses are caused by the moon obscuring the sun. Logically the easiest way to end the gourmet eclipse is to remove the moon by eating it.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
This is great backstory but I wish we could get back to super cooking/eating techniques rather than this BLACK HOLE TONGUE bullshit we've been seeing recently.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

pinegala posted:

This is great backstory but I wish we could get back to super cooking/eating techniques rather than this BLACK HOLE TONGUE bullshit we've been seeing recently.

Minority world was awesome so I don't know what you're talking about, but someone says something similar to this in almost every arc.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

international owl day posted:

Minority world was awesome so I don't know what you're talking about, but someone says something similar to this in almost every arc.

Exactly. I read Toriko because I've come to love the ridiculous amount of bullshitt and asspullery that goes one. It's really fun to read about. Plus, in what other medium do you get to read about eating the moon?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I just want to see more dudes like Wabutora. A chef that specializes in cooking with oil who literally sweats oil so he can water ski.

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012
This is it. They're going to eat the Earth. Or at least the alien invader part. I can't wait.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

YOU MANIACS! YOU blew ATE IT ALL UP! drat YOU ALL TO HELL!

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

Plutonis posted:

YOU MANIACS! YOU blew ATE IT ALL UP! drat YOU ALL TO HELL!

Literally the first thing I thought.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
:allears: I love it when they whip out the over the top science.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

rizzen posted:

Exactly. I read Toriko because I've come to love the ridiculous amount of bullshitt and asspullery that goes one. It's really fun to read about. Plus, in what other medium do you get to read about eating the moon?

international owl day posted:

What does power to make anything happen have to do with food?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's the same reason Ichiryuu's Full Course, unlike other Full Courses, tastes like poo poo but you can eat forever. Both of them deal with his contrasting nature.

There have been fighting techniques that have nothing to do with food since the Gourmet Glacier, so I don't get why only now it's no longer about the food.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
So it's basically gourmet Lavos, awesome.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

ANIME AKBAR posted:

So it's basically gourmet Lavos, awesome.

Anyone else just imagine a giant slab of meat in the shape of Lavos with a cook and two cooking utensils operating him from within as his power core?

Something else, but finally, we now know that memory that Toriko took from Livebearer way back when, and I'm sorry to say that it wasn't Star's missing food memory.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Mr. Maltose posted:

It's the same reason Ichiryuu's Full Course, unlike other Full Courses, tastes like poo poo but you can eat forever. Both of them deal with his contrasting nature.

There have been fighting techniques that have nothing to do with food since the Gourmet Glacier, so I don't get why only now it's no longer about the food.

I think that it's more that, for the most part, the food has taken a back seat to ridiculous Dragonball Z antics and honestly, depending on what you're reading the series for, some people find it kind of tiresome. Hell I was ready to give up on the series entirely if it weren't for the Midora backstory section. Even then I'm still thinking about quitting it at least for a few months.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I think with the team heading to First Biotope we're heading back to more Gourmet Hunting.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Kokoro Wish posted:

I think that it's more that, for the most part, the food has taken a back seat to ridiculous Dragonball Z antics and honestly, depending on what you're reading the series for, some people find it kind of tiresome. Hell I was ready to give up on the series entirely if it weren't for the Midora backstory section. Even then I'm still thinking about quitting it at least for a few months.

I still like reading about the silly poo poo, but I can agree that it was definitely more fun to read when it was about hunting rare foodstuffs.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I agree, but I also feel bad for basically saying "stop trying this new poo poo, just keep telling the same story you jerk", but that is kinda how I feel.

I do feel like it is building back to some funner stuff again, so I'm optimistic.

Chinaman7000 fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 30, 2013

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Chinaman7000 posted:

I agree, but I also feel bad for basically saying "stop trying this new poo poo, just keep telling the same story you jerk", but that is kinda how I feel.

I think it's just a matter of balance. I think there needs to be some element in the story that raises the stakes and keeps things exciting, but the food and the world is an intrinsic part of the manga's charm.

The main problem I have is that some of the battle manga stuff that has been happening recently has been really hard to follow. Particularly "minority world" and that imagination technique. I can't follow the author's logic on how these abilities are supposed to work at all. When something happens you get the feeling like "I guess so, if you want" rather than "oh, that makes sense". Stuff like food honor and food immersion was way more logical and consistent

Its not a matter of things being too over the top. Like, Jiro using knocking on the entire planet was awesome and was just the result of taking an ability we understand and taking it to the most ridiculous extent possible. Minority world feels like its just whatever needs to happen is gonna happen with a thin veneer of justification

Law Cheetah fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 30, 2013

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Midora vs. Ichiryuu was basically Sasuke vs. the "therefore" girl from Medaka with their powers turned up to max. But then Medaka is already Sasuke, so it's just a Medaka Box fight with more style and muscles

I don't have a problem with that.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
This week's chapter is taking a while to get translated, huh.

(Sorry if this post made you think it was out already :v:)

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

RatHat posted:

This week's chapter is taking a while to get translated, huh.

(Sorry if this post made you think it was out already :v:)

But it is out: http://www.mangabird.com/toriko-260

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
HOLY poo poo TORIKO HAVING NO APPETITE?! This is the biggest twist in the whole comic so far.

Also, to immortalize this eloquent translation:

Fecha fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 6, 2013

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Holy poo poo that's the worst translation I have seen in a loooong time.

Selane
May 19, 2006

I am just a common "Delicious Hunter"

who even couldn't proctect a cooker....

:negative:

edit: first time I've edited a post to add typos

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Selane posted:

I am just a common "Delicious Hunter"

who even couldn't proctect a cooker....

:negative:

edit: first time I've edited a post to add typos

drat it! I came to post this. This is the saddest, best piece of dialogue I have ever read.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
I lost it at that part. Just, holy crap. Hilarious and bad.

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012
I have no idea what went on during this chapter, but what a beautiful Duwang it is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
That was great

• Locked thread