Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

El Negocio posted:

Those car logos are ridiculous even by the standards of internet minimalists since most of the logos were already minimalist in the first place. And the ones that weren't, like Bentley and Cadillac, look like poo poo compared to the originals. The Porsche and Cadillac ones are also virtually identical.

The Saul Bass comparison is also absurd since he used curves and motion in his logos as much as possible.

Jesus I didn't know Saul Bass did all of those. They're incredible. Sometimes I wonder why logos in the 70s were so great and it turns out it's because Saul Bass literally did all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

BTW, I made the mistake of playing internet detective and trying to find the original post for those Oldboy posters but I ran into an article on Rope Of Silicon from June 8th, where they talk about the Juan Luis Garcia "art explorations" and the chosen poster.

Edit: the agency that asked for the "explorations" was likely Spike Lee's own agency, Spike DDB.

Edit:

DNS posted:

Jesus I didn't know Saul Bass did all of those. They're incredible. Sometimes I wonder why logos in the 70s were so great and it turns out it's because Saul Bass literally did all of them.

Before Saul Bass designed the '70s, you had Raymond Loewy, who practically designed the '50s to '60s. Everything from the Lincoln Continental to the Coke bottle to the livery for Air Force One to Skylab. His actual logo design includes Exxon, Shell, the SPAR retail chain, USPS, and the Coast Guard "racing" stripe

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Nov 29, 2013

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Juan Luis posted:

Hi *kiimo* thank you for the email and for sharing my story. The support has been overwhelming to say the least but I'm stunned at the amount of people who have reached out with similar stories. I also got several emails with people suspecting we worked for the same agency. Of course I do not wish this upon anybody else so I will keep everyone updated on my website when the time is appropriate.

Thank you again,

Juan Luis

He wouldn't tell me who it was, but I'm suspecting a particular person at a particular (newish) print agency run by a giant douchebag who was already blacklisted by my company for being a crazy shady weirdo.

Tegan and Sankara
May 4, 2009

The Saul Bass post above led me to a random reading of his Wiki page, which turned up this amusing coincidence:

quote:

He received an unintentionally backhanded tribute in 1995, when Spike Lee's film Clockers was promoted by a poster that was strikingly similar to Bass's 1959 work for Preminger's film Anatomy of a Murder. Designer Art Sims claimed that it was made as an homage, but Bass regarded it as theft.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Nvm

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
My god, we've come full circle!

As for Spike Lee, his attitude has always been the same. He deserves better, but others don't deserve anything back from him.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Young Freud posted:

It's probably more that Lee has forgotten his roots. He's been separated from nearly 25 years from the last time he's really struggled to make something.

Lee just Kickstarted a project that he wanted to make but couldn't get a studio to pony up for. He's a poo poo.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

This movie is not great and is directed by a person that literally no one knows because he wears a mask and spouts a lot of pretentious nonsense on Twitter and elsewhere, but I kind of like the second one which kind of makes it look like a remake of Newsies gone hilariously wrong. I still love the backhanded compliment they put on the theatrical poster though (IIRC, Knowles posted that on Day 2 or 3 of a ten-day film festival).

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 29, 2013

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Is it a remake of Children At Play or a remake of that British PSA where all the kids die horribly on a farm?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Is it a remake of Children At Play or a remake of that British PSA where all the kids die horribly on a farm?

No, it's a remake of Who Can Kill A Child which is pretty good actually.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Jedit posted:

Lee just Kickstarted a project that he wanted to make but couldn't get a studio to pony up for. He's a poo poo.

Yeah, that's what takes this to the next level for me. You don't go to the public, hat in hand, asking them to donate money sight-unseen in the name of supporting independent artists who are screwed over by the studio system and then screw over someone even lower on the totem pole. Especially when so many people attacked him for going to Kickstarter and called it a scam and a waste of money and crowd-funding itself is coming under fire after several high-profile flops, you know those same people are going to look for any excuse to pounce.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
"Harrison Harrison"?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

William Bear posted:

New poster. Ashley Tisdale dropped out, which is strange, because what could be more important than playing Nicholas Cage's daughter?

Edit, IMDB lists Lea Thompson as Nic's wife, which seems a bit much for a character who gets raptured at the beginning.

Nic Cage is a fundie? :smith:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Nic Cage doesn't turn down any role, kinda like Christopher Walken.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Also apparently this new movie upsets the original authors

It might end up like Noah

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

This movie is not great and is directed by a person that literally no one knows because he wears a mask and spouts a lot of pretentious nonsense on Twitter and elsewhere, but I kind of like the second one which kind of makes it look like a remake of Newsies gone hilariously wrong. I still love the backhanded compliment they put on the theatrical poster though (IIRC, Knowles posted that on Day 2 or 3 of a ten-day film festival).

That movie was poo poo.

In other news, I might have been hired to do the cover of a blu-ray release. I expect to see my work on here shortly.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

He's pretty much bankrupt so he'll take the role as long as the cheque doesn't bounce.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vagabundo posted:

He's pretty much bankrupt so he'll take the role as long as the cheque doesn't bounce.

And even if it does as long as there's catering.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Kurtofan posted:

Nope.

Cage on Knowing having a religious message posted:

"Any of my personal beliefs or opinions runs the risk of impinging on your own relationship with the movie. I feel movies are best left enigmatic, left raising more questions than answers. I don't want to ever preach. So [whatever you get] from the movie [is] far more interesting than I could ever offer."

In 1996 he said he had no religion in his life despite being raised Catholic. When you consider that with the quote, he has no issue taking bible thump money when not being a bible thumper.

Cage is also soon to be starring in this with Hayden Christensen, which I'm actually half excited for due to the fact it's being directed by a former stunt man. I just find that cool:

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

Is Nicolas Cage still millions in debt? I really love him as an actor and with all these roles I'm struggling to understand how he can't pay the bills. But then he did foreclose on a castle or something.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
I'm pretty sure he said that's no longer true in a recent interview or something.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DNS posted:

I'm pretty sure he said that's no longer true in a recent interview or something.

Yeah, I think he just really likes acting. Like, he's a reverse Steve Martin.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

computer parts posted:

Yeah, I think he just really likes acting. Like, he's a reverse Steve Martin.

Thank gently caress Steve Martin no longer acts. Pink Panther was an abomination. And don't get me started on how much I hated Shopgirl.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

kiimo posted:

He wouldn't tell me who it was, but I'm suspecting a particular person at a particular (newish) print agency run by a giant douchebag who was already blacklisted by my company for being a crazy shady weirdo.

You know, I went to try and read the open letter to Spike Lee, but couldn't find it on his website. I wonder what's up with that.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Thank gently caress Steve Martin no longer acts. Pink Panther was an abomination. And don't get me started on how much I hated Shopgirl.

The Spanish Prisoner :colbert:

Nobody ever looks at a Japanese tourist.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Holy poo poo, it took me a second but I've seen this movie. :stare: It's called Severed Ties in America, though. Let me see if I can dig it up on Youtube, it ruuuuuuules and only ever came out on VHS.

e: The movie isn't on Youtube in full, but I did somehow manage to find a trailer for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXiL1ngCO2s

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So Cracked tried their hand at the classic classy posters for un-classy movies, and points to them, they actually did manage to do well and not go minimalist for most of it. Granted, most of them are imitations of actually good posters. And I'd also question these people's tastes in 'crappy movies'.

I know the Cool As Ice one is Rosemary's Baby, what are the other two?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
:lol: The White Chicks poster

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
In what world is From Dusk Til Dawn one of the crappiest movies ever? The article was amusing enough and better than I thought it was gonna be but their selection of movies was kind of odd.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Cleretic posted:

So Cracked tried their hand at the classic classy posters for un-classy movies, and points to them, they actually did manage to do well and not go minimalist for most of it. Granted, most of them are imitations of actually good posters. And I'd also question these people's tastes in 'crappy movies'.

I know the Cool As Ice one is Rosemary's Baby, what are the other two?

First one seems like The Game.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
The one for Catholic High School Girls in Trouble is god drat genius.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Holy poo poo.

To contribute: A fine entry in modern-day skellyposters:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Oh man that poster is awesome. That's one of the first things you see in the Pirates of the Caribbean ride

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

The one for Catholic High School Girls in Trouble is god drat genius.

Oh yeah, that's minimalism and Saul Bass-inspired done right :pervert:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Macaluso posted:

Oh man that poster is awesome. That's one of the first things you see in the Pirates of the Caribbean ride

That was the reason I was like "Maybe this won't suck."

And it worked for two and a half movies.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hey, I enjoyed the fourth one. Third can suck one, though.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Waffleman_ posted:

Hey, I enjoyed the fourth one. Third can suck one, though.

See, I thought the opposite- it's like they heard the criticisms that the third one was way too convoluted, so instead they made four as straightforward and bland as possible. The mermaid attack scene was cool, though.

When 2 and 3 got weird, at least they were interesting-weird.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

On Stranger Tides' priest/mermaid subplot was completely useless on top of being a really bland movie.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Pirates 2 and 3 are complete trainwrecks that I find really entertaining. Pirates 4 is just boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Stare-Out posted:

On Stranger Tides' priest/mermaid subplot was completely useless on top of being a really bland movie.

It felt like someone said, "This movie needs a romance because Sparrow is too distant!" and had it tossed in. You can seriously cut every scene and nothing in the plot changes.