Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Tried to play the newly updated mouse and keyboard controls, and while keyboard is fine, the mouse is crazy sensitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
I bought it the day it came out on Steam so there was no M/K support yet. I bought a cheap $18 Logitech gamepad and still use it to play SoD.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Found a place that was meant to, and should have been, a home site just now. I say meant to because there's nothing there. It's out on the eastern side of the map where the dino gas station is. Climb up the survey spot and you'll discover a potential home site. But it doesn't appear on your map and the site itself is just an open field with two picnic tables in it. Needless to say I was very upset I couldn't make the dino station a home site.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
I started at the Alamo. Did they add any new Homesites?

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Godmachine posted:

I started at the Alamo. Did they add any new Homesites?

Not as far as I can tell.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Fibby Boy posted:

Found a place that was meant to, and should have been, a home site just now. I say meant to because there's nothing there. It's out on the eastern side of the map where the dino gas station is. Climb up the survey spot and you'll discover a potential home site. But it doesn't appear on your map and the site itself is just an open field with two picnic tables in it. Needless to say I was very upset I couldn't make the dino station a home site.

Yeah there's a bugged home site in the tiny western town that has all the military stashes in it. It's where the crashed chopper was with the sheet metal shelter next to it. It was a shame because it would have been fun as hell having a home that had nearly no food or medicine nearby but all the ammo in the world.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

From their pre-release info they weren't going to add new homesites due to technical reasons.

That homesite that couldn't be moved into earlier could be a site for the RV when you move and not a proper homesite.

Also, SOD continues having great bugs. My car is alive and it looks pissed.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

If you were slamming your face into half rotted dead things all the time, you'd be pissed off too.

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

It's time to play Spot the Looney!
I feel really dumb. I've bought the DLC, started up the game, but I see no option to start a new Breakdown game. Do I have to complete the vanilla campaign to get the option to do so, or am I missing something?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Haha I fell for that too. After the starup movies finish playing, shift your cursor to the righthand logo which is Breakdown.

e:

E-Tank posted:

If you were slamming your face into half rotted dead things all the time, you'd be pissed off too.

Fair point!

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

This is weird. I've reinstalled State of Decay, deleted all save games and everything else I could think of (including verifying game cache in steam) but the DLC doesn't seem to be activated. It says that it's installed, but starting the game gives no indication of Breakdown being installed, and starting a new game just launches me directly into a new vanilla campaign.

The official forums are hacked by Saudis apparently, so I'm not really sure what to do here. Anyone?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
After the Undead Labs screen, press right or click on the Breakdown thing instead of space/A button.

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

Thanks, but there's no Breakdown logo or anything in the main menu when I start up the game :/ I'll see what I can find out. Or just go back to project zomboid :D

gimpfarfar fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 30, 2013

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

After the intro movies finish it should say "Press space (or press A button) to play State of Decay". Flick to the right and it should say press to play Breakdown.

e: if you've hit the main menu you've gone one screen too far.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.

gimpfarfar posted:

I feel really dumb. I've bought the DLC, started up the game, but I see no option to start a new Breakdown game. Do I have to complete the vanilla campaign to get the option to do so, or am I missing something?

Running it on Steam? On your list of games in the "Library" tab, right click on State of Decay, then on View Downloadable Content. It should give you a list of DLC for SoD, saying "State of Decay - Breakdown." That'll help to confirm if it's installed at least.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Do the M+K controls work fine or should i be playing this with my controller?

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

I'm dumb - a reinstall with manually removing the old folders in the steam directory fixed it right up :) Thanks guys.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing

Prefuse posted:

Do the M+K controls work fine or should i be playing this with my controller?

I've been having an absolute blast since its PC release with a 360 controller, and this thread continues to bitch about the mouse acceleration. So make of that what you will.

With the lack of story missions, it feels like they amped the survivor missions. Feels like I've only got time to keep rescuing my guys. Also, it seems like if I Check In on someone, they'll STAY there until I come and get them. Is "Away from Home" the same as Missing or did I just interrupt a mission of theirs?

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
I'm on difficulty level 2 right now. Holy crap, building a home base in the middle of the city was probably a bad idea :stare:. I shot one zombie with my coach gun and suddenly I had 3 zombie hordes on my head. I saw one of my friends literally get torn apart and another one blew himself up with a grenade while he was being eaten. So now my base consists of me, Lily, and one sick dude. I've built some outposts around the base to keep zombies away, but man... it's gonna be tough. Higher difficulty levels are gonna be great.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Does breakdown run while the game is closed like vanilla? Does it seem to be the same speed?

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!
Is the game supposed to have over saturated colours when it's bright outside? I booted it up last night on my PC for the first time and it seems far more saturated than the X360 copy I have.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I'm playing vanilla and wondering about outpost placing? My home is at Snyde.
Any suggestions?

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.

Le0 posted:

I'm playing vanilla and wondering about outpost placing? My home is at Snyde.
Any suggestions?

It depends on your playstyle.

I usually build my base in an urban area and try to make outposts as close as possible so I have a "defensive perimeter" around me. I love the Snyder Warehouse and will usually build an outpost at the electric station to the north, a few of the warehouses to the south, and maybe a gunshop. However, you also need to make sure you're pulling the correct resources (materials are top priority).

If you're doing a lot of scavenging far from home, building an outpost far from home allows you put things into storage without running all the way back. Building an outpost by the firestation to the south, one near Trumbull Fairgrounds, or one in Spencer's Mills may make scavenging easier.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
Survivors, let's talk facilities:

Does anyone here even bother with gardens or training areas? They seem such a waste since Fighting is easy to raise and food is really common.

Work areas, sleeping areas, and medical areas seems absolutely essential though.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I've been setting up all but one of my outpost slots as close in defense, then I use the last one as a rotating looter HQ. I'll pick a cluster of buildings somewhere on the map, make an outpost in the center, then loot all the adjacent buildings. Once I'm done, I close up the outpost and move it somewhere else.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Yeah, the best Outpost approach appears to be to use 3-4 of them as horde-blockades to keep your HQ safe, 1 as a looting hub, and the rest available to fill out the resources you might need.

As far as facilities go, none of them feel that rewarding other than the Workshop, so it does seem to be mostly up to choice. I've never had a problem finding food so far, but my survivor camp is so limited everyone is constantly sick or tired, so I'm building a Training Facility to help being low on stamina constantly. I had to kill a horde, alone, minimum max stamina, with a table leg and clever use of a porch. Let us never speak of it again.

It's really too bad they never changed how calling for a scavenger worked, and nearby survivors still won't help you.

Kasonic fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 30, 2013

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Training areas have the benefit of more stamina. More useful than a dining area at least!

I also wish the survivors would be a bit more... on edge. Synders even with a firing post up barely held back any zombies that approached the fence, i had to outpost everything around it or I would have been surrounded by zombies really quick. I just wish they'd do a bit more guard duty.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Kasonic posted:

It's really too bad they never changed how calling for a scavenger worked, and nearby survivors still won't help you.

I discovered last night that the only survivors that won't help you are your own, for some reason. I was in very dire straits and being chased by a horde, and I limped into a neighbour's enclave. They proceeded to kick the poo poo out of the horde for me. Best neighbours.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Just had an insane defense of my HQ on breakdown level 2. Five hordes spawned in around Ascension Church. All of them were directly next to the church and beelined to it. Then it turns out a nearby house was overrun (but not infested) with zombies, which came running when everyone started firing over the walls at the fifty or so zombies swarming from every direction. Then a juggernaut decided to muck in. :stonk:

Ended up losing the walls and the exterior. The survivors actually said the gently caress with it and ran inside after a bit of fighting, hiding behind the windows and trying to hold the interior. The only one who stayed was the guy in the watchtower, who constantly sniped them with a pistol as each person tried to hold a window. I ended up having a survivor do laps around the house to distract the zombies long enough for the watchtower guard to snipe them. He got a level in cardio from it. :v:

Makes me wonder what Breakdown level 5 or 6 is like.

Edit: Also had a ranch out in the middle of nowhere that was absolutely overrun with zombies. I pulled up to it in my truck, got out, and then they started spilling out of the top floor windows like it was a clown car. It was just a constant tide of them. I promptly got back in my truck, started the engine, and drove off. gently caress that. :stare:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 30, 2013

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.

Archonex posted:

Makes me wonder what Breakdown level 5 or 6 is like.

Doesn't it go up to 10? Muahahah!

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Godmachine posted:

Jesus christ. I just assumed it went up to six since that was the highest unlock for a hero I saw. :stare:

Also, it turns out that finding a missing character is easy when they're armed with a military grade LMG. A SWAT cop hero I recruited somehow botched a solo hunt, went missing, then turned up right outside my stronghold a few days later. I wasn't sure which house to look for him in until I heard what sounded like him chewing through an entire horde with that gun.

Cue me entering the house the sounds came from with him standing over a pile of corpses. And of course he pulls the "terrified character" VA as an intro, despite having more firepower on him than Rambo.

Also, i'm still not sure how to get survivors that are companions to fire their guns. It's kind of obnoxious that they don't do it when we're getting swarmed. Is there any way to get them to do that? Also, is there a way to give them a rucksack to carry?

Edit: Another thing i've noted. The old call-in's from the vanilla game are in breakdown. You can get them by finding the right heroes, which randomly appear in the world to recruit (possibly according to your fame), or starting as one after unlocking a hero type.

Already found the US army officer and the preacher, which give the artillery strike and the words of inspiration, respectively.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 30, 2013

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!

Godmachine posted:

Pretty sure it's actually more than 10, they mentioned something about level 12 or 13 during one of their streams.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Attention Horse posted:

Pretty sure it's actually more than 10, they mentioned something about level 12 or 13 during one of their streams.

Survival Time at Level 11 was measured in minutes.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

So how does the simulation timer thing interact with the day/night cycle? I toughed it out playing the campaign through, but it's super annoying to sit down to start a play session and the sun just went down. Can I just goof off for n minutes, come back, and the sun's up?

-Does changing your system clock matter?
-Is there any way to cheat the day timer without loving up the game or mission timers?

edit: vvv The game's officially released, and seems solid other than squirrely mouse acceleration(grab a 360 pad)

Kasonic fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 30, 2013

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Since there's a Steam sale going on, is this a recommended purchase or is it still too early to grab until they iron out the kinks?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Get it. This poo poo is mad fun.

To me, this is what a Walking Dead game should be.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.

Blarghalt posted:

Since there's a Steam sale going on, is this a recommended purchase or is it still too early to grab until they iron out the kinks?

It's $10 and I safely assume you'll get at least 20 hours out of it between the storyline and Breakdown DLC. That's 50 cents an hour.

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

this level will be fun guys
Just bought this in the Steam sale so forgive this noob question.. but what is the execute button on a 360 controller? It's Z on the keyboard and makes short work on zombies, but I feel like I've tried every button and end up just making an rear end of myself or getting my rear end bit.

-edit-
LB+Y - got it. Nevermind.

DONT DO IT fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 1, 2013

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Blarghalt posted:

I picked this up with some trepidation today since GTA style games bore the hell out of me. Six hours later, I can say that this game is pretty loving awesome if what you really wanted out of the Walking Dead game was to reenact the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wegee
Jul 26, 2006
I'm so torn on if I want to purchase Breakdown. I really enjoyed the base game. Is breakdown worth it? It sounds good in concept, but does moving up a level actually feel different from the previous one? Just sounds so repetitive.

• Locked thread