Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tighclops posted:

I wonder if the true secret to liking Enterprise is to watch all of Voyager first?

I think it's the opposite, to be honest. Voyager wears you down and then you see all the echoes in Enterprise and just hate it.

But if you've never seen the long drawn out mediocrity of Voyager then it's easier to stomach the mediocre bits of Enterprise for the good bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

This new timeline better feature Cardassians way earlier than the normal timeline.
I've always wanted to see a comic or something about Kirk and the TOS-era Enterprise stumbling on the Bajoran wormhole, with the whole DS9 metaplot hashed out in the bombastic, single-episode 1960s style. Complete with a recreation of what lovely, cheapo TOS Cardassians would have looked like.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What the hell was going on with the replicator in Chrysalis? With Bashir being weary with taking the breakfast offering from Serena after she pulled it out of the replicator and O'Brien having trouble with his coffee, it seemed like they were building something up with that being the plot point that takes her away from him... perhaps her going Khan and poisoning him or some such. I have no idea why they dedicated so many little hints to not go anywhere with it.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Met posted:

What the hell was going on with the replicator in Chrysalis? With Bashir being weary with taking the breakfast offering from Serena after she pulled it out of the replicator and O'Brien having trouble with his coffee, it seemed like they were building something up with that being the plot point that takes her away from him... perhaps her going Khan and poisoning him or some such. I have no idea why they dedicated so many little hints to not go anywhere with it.

I don't know I like "everyone realizes that Bashir's relationship with the mutant girl is really messed up and it stops because it should" better than "mutant girl goes crazy and poisons poor innocent Dr. Bashir and that's what you get for trying to help the genetically enhanced!"

Chrysalis is one of only a few DS9 episodes I legitimately hate. The characters from the institute are really poorly written in it, I think. I really liked the first episode they appear in and it's really too bad they were brought back for a far inferior effort in Chrysalis.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 30, 2013

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Ogmius815 posted:

I don't know I like "everyone realizes that Bashir's relationship with the mutant girl is really messed up and it stops because it should" better than "mutant girl goes crazy and poisons poor innocent Dr. Bashir and that's what you get for trying to help the genetically enhanced!"

Certainly, I just couldn't figure out where they were going with the replicator thing. Turns out it was nowhere.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Most if not all of the bad episodes in DS9 are Bashir centered so that's not a surprise at all. Though he has a few good ones. Bashir as character I like in the middle seasons of DS9, after he was really naive but before becoming super jaded.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

LeafyOrb posted:

Most if not all of the bad episodes in DS9 are Bashir centered so that's not a surprise at all. Though he has a few good ones. Bashir as character I like in the middle seasons of DS9, after he was really naive but before becoming super jaded.

Counterpoint, Our Man Bashir is in the Top 10.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Zophar posted:

Counterpoint, Our Man Bashir is in the Top 10.

As is The Wire (again co-starring with Garak but still).

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
Bashir was also the viewpoint character of the Section 31 episodes.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Slamhound posted:

Alamarain.

Hey yo listen here Weyoun. If you come at the Emissary, you best not miss.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

DirtyRobot posted:

And this is why I like Enterprise.

Trip's reaction to T'Pol, enjoying his steak like a good ol' American boy is almost the audience's: a big fat :rolleyes: as he and Archer exchange knowing looks at this silly Vulcan and her wacky ideas.

...but then you think about his wilful ignorance and unwillingness to consider that maybe he should, I dunno, at least consider an alternative, and you think, hmm, maybe that's not so okay. Maybe that Vulcan isn't so crazy.

Eh, you can do that, but I think the audience is just as likely to buy entirely into Trip's viewpoint.

The platonic ideal of what Enterprise wanted to do was show that Humans are totally unprepared for the intergalactic community and have lots to learn, but also to show sparks of the potential that leads to them being the guys who come up with the whole Federation idea. They do it in the one episode where someone's trapped on a thing and T'Pol keeps telling Archer to contact the nearby Vulcan vessel and ask for help and he doesn't want to and the resolution is that he does and they do it in the Shren episodes, but it doesn't really happen in the relationship with T'Pol.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Alchenar posted:

Eh, you can do that, but I think the audience is just as likely to buy entirely into Trip's viewpoint.

I'm pretty open to this reading too, and I almost included a counterpoint in my own post along these lines. I think the show often goes both ways. One episode includes hints that maybe Archer got the appointment by nepotism, and Trip is just along for the ride because, hey, they're buddies. Maybe Archer and Trip aren't cut out for this, they make rash decisions, they have no clue what's out there, and so on and so on. Then the writers get scared or something, so in the next episode they're just the standard best engineer and best captain in Starfleet, and all the Vulcans' misgivings are just the Vulcans being jerks.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

MikeJF posted:

I think it's the opposite, to be honest. Voyager wears you down and then you see all the echoes in Enterprise and just hate it.

But if you've never seen the long drawn out mediocrity of Voyager then it's easier to stomach the mediocre bits of Enterprise for the good bits.

The Mystical Secret To Liking Enterprise

1) Take a break between series. Give it a year or more before starting Broken Bow then watch the episodes in order.

2) Pretend you don't know what the future is going to be. In fact, try to watch it as a separate continuity unless they make a callback to something. Then giggle and move on.

3) When you experience a cringeworthy moment stop and ask yourself why it's cringeworthy. Who are you empathizing with in that moment and why. That won't eliminate all the negative or boring elements of the show but it will go a long way toward understanding it.

4) Remember that this is not the Starfleet you know. Archer is not an experienced captain or diplomat. He's Captain America who got his job through nepotism (the implication is subtle but there). The Vulcans are not the Vulcans you know. As you work your way through the series, you'll understand why.

And, finally,

5) It's way better than Voyager so watch Enterprise first.

Okay. I'm off my soapbox.

That's pretty much how I got back into Enterprise. I hadn't watched much Trek in a year and it was a wholly different series than when I initially watched the premiere.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

SombreroAgnew posted:

Complete with a recreation of what lovely, cheapo TOS Cardassians would have looked like.

They would have just been guys with green dixie spoons taped along the bridge of their nose, maybe a little green makeup where the spoon rested and around the eyes.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Cardassians might have worked pretty well in TOS-era make up. Get some yellow contacts or something for the eyes, put white make up on the face, slick the hair back, and just draw on those scales over the eyebrows that go around the eyes and up the forehead a bit.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Great_Gerbil posted:

2) Pretend you don't know what the future is going to be. In fact, try to watch it as a separate continuity unless they make a callback to something. Then giggle and move on.

Pretty sure that was why they threw in the temporal cold war in the first place, so when people complained about continuity they could just say, "Temporal cold war shenanigans! Whooo there is no set continuity! How Scary!" All while wriggling their fingers in the air and rolling their eyes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DirtyRobot posted:

Cardassians might have worked pretty well in TOS-era make up. Get some yellow contacts or something for the eyes, put white make up on the face, slick the hair back, and just draw on those scales over the eyebrows that go around the eyes and up the forehead a bit.

I'm reminded of those old TOS Cardiassian outfit designs someone did once.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

MikeJF posted:

I'm reminded of those old TOS Cardiassian outfit designs someone did once.

Kirk would be rolling in spoonhead poontang

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Skeesix posted:

Kirk would be rolling in spoonhead poontang

I wonder if Kirk would have hosed a TNG-style Klingon woman? I don't recall there being any female Klingons in TOS.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

Pretty sure that was why they threw in the temporal cold war in the first place, so when people complained about continuity they could just say, "Temporal cold war shenanigans! Whooo there is no set continuity! How Scary!" All while wriggling their fingers in the air and rolling their eyes.

From what I've heard, this was the opposite of what they were trying to end up doing. But, shrug.

I like the Temporal Cold War for the sole reason that we, the viewer, are left in the same position as the Enterprise crew. We have absolutely no idea what's happening. Only that there are people doing things for some reason.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Serella posted:

"We don't ENSLAVE animals for food anymore." :riker:

Well they should because animals are delicious.

But they don't need to because they have the replicator.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mister Kingdom posted:

I wonder if Kirk would have hosed a TNG-style Klingon woman? I don't recall there being any female Klingons in TOS.

Kang's wife in Day of the Dove.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Kang's wife in Day of the Dove.

Forgot about her. My question still stands. Would Kirk even survive sex with a Klingon woman?

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Mister Kingdom posted:

Forgot about her. My question still stands. Would Kirk even survive sex with a Klingon woman?

I think he would. He could use his patented "Throw entire body at enemy" technique. Or the flying dropkick.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding
Just swinging that double fisted haymaker left and right.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

SombreroAgnew posted:

Just swinging that double fisted haymaker left and right.

Or just pick up a rock from a cave.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Hey Neelix did and he's less than a 5th the male as Kirk.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

But they don't need to because they have the replicator.

Yeah, but it's like Eddington says, you still know you're eating replicated protein molecules.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Holy gently caress.. Q!

You hit me! Picard never hit me before!
I'm not Picard!

Little disturbing how this is easily the most fun I've had in any DS9 episode yet and that fun was happening when it wasn't the DS9 cast on screen. Except maybe Quark.. hey.. Q is making me like Quark. de Lancie delivering lines is whipped cream to Brooks's lumpy whey, so much of good TNG is Stewart and de Lancie teeing off and you watching entranced.

First season and all that, finding their feet I guess. Still, Kira is a lovely loving character, she's just an annoying dick while I guess her equivalent was Riker and Riker had Rikerness on his side. Odo continues to turn into tables and poo poo.

When does DS9 hit it's stride?

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

It begins to pick up when Sisko grows his beard and by the time he shaves his head it's pretty much going at a good pace, or season two finale onwards, still some good episodes before then. Since I liked the Bajoran politics and whatnot you might want to take this with a grain of salt but I found the last two episodes of season 1 and the first three of season 2 to be pretty enjoyable. Though you could easily mistake Bareil for a bedside cabinet.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

It begins to pick up when Sisko grows his beard and by the time he shaves his head it's pretty much going at a good pace, or season two finale onwards, still some good episodes before then. Since I liked the Bajoran politics and whatnot you might want to take this with a grain of salt but I found the last two episodes of season 1 and the first three of season 2 to be pretty enjoyable. Though you could easily mistake Bareil for a bedside cabinet.

There is also a character that you think is going to cause one of our protagonist to suicide and another to get lobotomized.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mister Kingdom posted:

Jadzia, Ezri, and Troi all survived sex with Worf so I don't see why not

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
I never understood why the set designers/ model builders whatever you called them were lazy when it came to the bridge sets of other ships. For instance, the Odyssey in that episode of DS9, what kind of not bridge was that? Not to mention the "bridge" that Laforge was on in that episode of Voyager when he was talking to Chakotay. I guess money is a problem, but it can't be THAT hard to do. Don't get me started on the lazy kit bashes either. Yeager class? What the gently caress was that?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Serella posted:

Yeah, but it's like Eddington says, you still know you're eating replicated protein molecules.

You know how the whole food chain concept works, right? Wolf eats rabbit, wolf shits on ground, poo poo fertilizes dirt, plant grows out of dirt, rabbit eats plant, wolf eats rabbit.

OMG GUYS WE'RE EATING RECONSTITUTED poo poo PARTICLES :supaburn:

I mean, seriously, what's the difference? Is there a spiritual argument you're trying to make here? Eddington's kind of a dipshit.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Tony Montana posted:

Holy gently caress.. Q!

You hit me! Picard never hit me before!
I'm not Picard!

Little disturbing how this is easily the most fun I've had in any DS9 episode yet and that fun was happening when it wasn't the DS9 cast on screen. Except maybe Quark.. hey.. Q is making me like Quark. de Lancie delivering lines is whipped cream to Brooks's lumpy whey, so much of good TNG is Stewart and de Lancie teeing off and you watching entranced.

First season and all that, finding their feet I guess. Still, Kira is a lovely loving character, she's just an annoying dick while I guess her equivalent was Riker and Riker had Rikerness on his side. Odo continues to turn into tables and poo poo.

When does DS9 hit it's stride?

Hurry up and get to Duet.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

You know how the whole food chain concept works, right? Wolf eats rabbit, wolf shits on ground, poo poo fertilizes dirt, plant grows out of dirt, rabbit eats plant, wolf eats rabbit.

OMG GUYS WE'RE EATING RECONSTITUTED poo poo PARTICLES :supaburn:

I mean, seriously, what's the difference? Is there a spiritual argument you're trying to make here? Eddington's kind of a dipshit.

I like that episode of Enterprise where they first encounter a food replicator and Trip is just like "this isn't bad considering it literally appeared out of nowhere in front of me". That seems to be the appropriate response to Trek technology.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

rocket_man38 posted:

I never understood why the set designers/ model builders whatever you called them were lazy when it came to the bridge sets of other ships. For instance, the Odyssey in that episode of DS9, what kind of not bridge was that? Not to mention the "bridge" that Laforge was on in that episode of Voyager when he was talking to Chakotay. I guess money is a problem, but it can't be THAT hard to do. Don't get me started on the lazy kit bashes either. Yeager class? What the gently caress was that?

How much time do you think they had to bash that stuff together?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

DemeaninDemon posted:

Hurry up and get to Duet.

Roger. Engage rear end pimple drive tomorrow, it's Sunday and I've been going all over the place outside the last couple of days and there is no drat good reason not to camp indoors and watch a ton of Trek.

cenotaph posted:

How much time do you think they had to bash that stuff together?

There isn't a whole lot on a real bridge anyway, the Captain is being told things by people, looking out windows and telling either the same or other people to do things. He doesn't even have a loving chair! He's got an oldschool washing machine to put his cup of joe on and some people hanging around in case he wants to get yelly.

Yep, comparing Trek to Battleship Missouri. Grace that is woman. Rock the gently caress on, Gene.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Tony Montana posted:

Still, Kira is a lovely loving character, she's just an annoying dick

Man the last time anyone was this wrong about something they ended up spending their honeymoon dead in a ditch on fire outside the furherbunker while the Soviets marched through Berlin.

Kira Nerys has more interesting conflict and backstory than any two TNG characters and has a pretty cool arc throughout the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jadzia, Ezri, and Troi all survived sex with Worf so I don't see why not

Also, Quark was married to Grilka, and definitely had a shag with her at least once during the series.

Edit:

Star Trek:... And The Neckbeards Shall Keep Track Of Who's hosed A Klingon

• Locked thread