Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

Did I hear someone say they need posing inspiration? :v:

What are you using to hold up the Nu Gundam Bits in that shot?

I got the Hi-Nu Gundam, and while I love the kit (apart from one shattered leg that was a bitch to fix) I hate the way they handle the funnels. Just comes with these wussy little plastic rods that sag when the funnel is placed upon them. It makes me very disappoint!

Edit: gently caress yes on those poses by the way. I now know exactly how I'm going to pose the tallgeese two that I am custom building for a friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Nu Gundam ver. ka comes with adjustable clear rods that hold up the funnels. They improved immensely on Hi-Nu's funnel holders. Instead of flimsy plastic, you get solid plastic with multiple ratchet joints.

Edit: Just to warn you Caros. I did have to cut quite a bit of the barrel on Tallgeese II's dobergun in order to make that pose work.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 30, 2013

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So because I'm totally not a SEED fan, is the MG Freedom worth it? I only recently found out they had one, and I like it more than the standard Strike and the Strike Freedom.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

So because I'm totally not a SEED fan, is the MG Freedom worth it? I only recently found out they had one, and I like it more than the standard Strike and the Strike Freedom.

It's a very solid MG. I'd recommend it if you like Freedom.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

It's a very solid MG. I'd recommend it if you like Freedom.

Out of all of Kira's suits it is my favorite. I need to get that one and a new infinite justice. The head broke off on mine in a way that just is not going to look good if I fix it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Seed was about when MG really started getting into gear, so yeah the Freedom's fine. It's kind of plain though, and it's a bit more sticker reliant than a modern MG. The blue parts on the gun, for instance, are just stickers.

The frame on the MG Freedom is well-known for being simple yet effective, so there are many dressup kits for it. Something to keep in mind if you ever want to start getting into resin.

Also:

if you're lucky you might get one of the first print Phase poo poo Armor decals. :v:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Is there anyone here who's decent with kanji? there's a few things they might be able to help me with as kanjitomo is not quite...proficient at what I'm trying to do.

nvm i think i've got it figured out, gently caress u kotobukiya t:mad:

muike fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 30, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Seed was about when MG really started getting into gear, so yeah the Freedom's fine. It's kind of plain though, and it's a bit more sticker reliant than a modern MG. The blue parts on the gun, for instance, are just stickers.

The frame on the MG Freedom is well-known for being simple yet effective, so there are many dressup kits for it. Something to keep in mind if you ever want to start getting into resin.

Also:

if you're lucky you might get one of the first print Phase poo poo Armor decals. :v:

Brings a whole new meaning to the term "Phase Shift Down", huh? :v:

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

This guy knows what's what. OG Freedom G 4 lyfe :whatup:. If you want a more modern Freedom kit and don't mind 1/144's, the RG Freedom Gundam is a magnificent little kit.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Brings a whole new meaning to the term "Phase Shift Down", huh? :v:

This guy knows what's what. OG Freedom G 4 lyfe :whatup:. If you want a more modern Freedom kit and don't mind 1/144's, the RG Freedom Gundam is a magnificent little kit.

The sad thing is, there are either perfect grades that I tell myself I'm going to eventually buy, or RG kits with effects parts( Looking at you Destiny) that I can't justify prices of that have caused me to not commit to a real grade. I also know that the fact that I just said I wanted a perfect grade, yet felt frugal spending so much on a RG is super contradictory, but I guess price of stuff vs stuff I get falls into effect there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

The sad thing is, there are either perfect grades that I tell myself I'm going to eventually buy, or RG kits with effects parts( Looking at you Destiny) that I can't justify prices of that have caused me to not commit to a real grade. I also know that the fact that I just said I wanted a perfect grade, yet felt frugal spending so much on a RG is super contradictory, but I guess price of stuff vs stuff I get falls into effect there.

There is an effects kit for the RG Freedom, all it does is add a bunch of coloured energy blasts you can mount on the tips of its guns. You're not missing out on any gimmicks by just buying the kit itself.

Out of general curiosity, I assume the HGAC line's all remade from scratch, yes? They're not just slightly-altered rereleases like the Seed Remaster Line? Kinda hoping for a good HeavyArms/HA Custom to come out of that at some point. They're about the only kits I want at the moment, aside from perhaps the faint hope of an RG Buster Gundam (A guy's allowed to dream and hope :colbert:) and the RG Exia coming in April.

Caros
May 14, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

Nu Gundam ver. ka comes with adjustable clear rods that hold up the funnels. They improved immensely on Hi-Nu's funnel holders. Instead of flimsy plastic, you get solid plastic with multiple ratchet joints.

Edit: Just to warn you Caros. I did have to cut quite a bit of the barrel on Tallgeese II's dobergun in order to make that pose work.

drat. I was afraid you were going to say that.

Well back to the drawing board/hobby store. I'll find something that works goddamnit!

quote:

Get it. Freedom was my first Gunpla, and when it was utterly destroyed in a move I shelled out and happily built it again because it was that nice of a kit. It has a lot going for it in terms of the poses it can handle (and it even comes with a stick up the rear end flying base), and against all loving odds the wings on it don't fall to poo poo randomly.

Mine has been holding the full burst post going on two years now without complaint, while I have to adjust 00 raiser about once a week.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Out of general curiosity, I assume the HGAC line's all remade from scratch, yes?

Yep. Believe me, you'd be able to tell if they were just the old 1/144s. Those things sucked.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

Did I hear someone say they need posing inspiration? :v:

You know, I never liked the funnels dispay stands on Mg's, or any kit really. I always found the plastic tubes that keep up the funnels distracting. So they always remain docked.

My posing is boring, but I don't have much room in my apartment.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Yep. Believe me, you'd be able to tell if they were just the old 1/144s. Those things sucked.

I thought so. C'moooon Heavyarms Custom! :pray:

Caros posted:

Mine has been holding the full burst post going on two years now without complaint, while I have to adjust 00 raiser about once a week.

That's probably because the 00 Raiser has those two massive sword/particle gun weapons compared to the Freedom's standard rifle/shield combo, rather than a design flaw. I have the same problem posing my Seravee because those cannons are not lightweight fuckers (though the arms do sit well once you can get it into a decent pose with them).

Caros
May 14, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I thought so. C'moooon Heavyarms Custom! :pray:

That's probably because the 00 Raiser has those two massive sword/particle gun weapons compared to the Freedom's standard rifle/shield combo, rather than a design flaw. I have the same problem posing my Seravee because those cannons are not lightweight fuckers (though the arms do sit well once you can get it into a decent pose with them).

I was talking specifically the backpack. Freedoms wings seem like the sort of thing that would droop down and have to be constantly adjusted, but there is enough tension in the joints that the things stay exactly where you mean them to.

By contrast my 00 Raiser's backpack more or less falls over and drags the model down with it anytime its on. To the point where I actually have a 00 model and an 0 raiser model because I got sick of adjusting it. I think I'm going to make a supporting stand for it at some point.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Think I'm just going to go nuts, order an MG Nu Ver.Ka and some HGs, separately so I get two SAL packages. What were those clippers everyone recommended?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caros posted:

I was talking specifically the backpack. Freedoms wings seem like the sort of thing that would droop down and have to be constantly adjusted, but there is enough tension in the joints that the things stay exactly where you mean them to.

By contrast my 00 Raiser's backpack more or less falls over and drags the model down with it anytime its on. To the point where I actually have a 00 model and an 0 raiser model because I got sick of adjusting it. I think I'm going to make a supporting stand for it at some point.

Oooh yeah, that 0-Raiser backpack wouldn't be anything but quite a bit of dead weight. The 00-Raiser's always seemed like a bad design to me anyway. The 00 itself is pretty good, but then they just keep adding kibble onto those shoulders to the point it gets absurd.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oooh yeah, that 0-Raiser backpack wouldn't be anything but quite a bit of dead weight. The 00-Raiser's always seemed like a bad design to me anyway. The 00 itself is pretty good, but then they just keep adding kibble onto those shoulders to the point it gets absurd.

I think it would work better if the GN Drives were fitted to the shoulder, instead of on brackets (man do they lobe brackets) Part of why I love Reborns' GN elbows.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Caros posted:

Mg Freedom was my first MG, and I while the build is utterly terrible to how I do them now I still love the model.
I pose 2-3 kits at a time usually and freedom has been part of my current display for a good year now in the exact same pose and it is rock solid.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think it would work better if the GN Drives were fitted to the shoulder, instead of on brackets (man do they lobe brackets) Part of why I love Reborns' GN elbows.

Really they should've just stuck the twin-drives on the back and called it a day. Those things really are too valuable to wave about on limbs or joints like they are on the 00.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

So I finished my Christmas shopping yesterday thanks to you guys and the reminders to check the sites, ended up getting Banshee Unicorn for my girlfriend, EDIT:Dynames (not Cherudim, I keep mixing them up) for my friend who's obsessed with snipers, and Nobel and the Guren Mk-II for someone who definitely isn't posting this right now...:v:

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 1, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Dragon Momoko brand MG Tallgeese II confirmed, with reports that they are working on a Tallgeese III as well:

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Got my HG Ez8 yesterday and i'm putting it together right now. I'm alot worse at removing nub marks then i remember when i put together warhammer 40k stuff. I think I will just panel line it when i get it done and maybe later on paint it up with maybe some jungle camo or something. Course the default plastic colors aren't bad.

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.
Has anyone gotten a 1/144 HGUC Delta Kai? I just built one and it's pretty sweet, despite it's ginormous amount of parts. Really makes me salute you guys that regularly build MGs; this one was exhausting for me.

Here are some shots while I finish the white-knuckle job of the final assembly; The biggest fuckups usually happen at this stage.

I may have overdone it with the decals though. What do you guys think? :ohdear:

Caros
May 14, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

The worst part of it is that the 00 Quanta also has a shoulder mounted GN drive monstrosity, but because they actually designed it like a sane person, the model has no problem standing up or drooping etc.

I maintain that the problem has more to do with the fact that the 00 Raiser was added as an afterthought.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Morgenthau posted:

Has anyone gotten a 1/144 HGUC Delta Kai? I just built one and it's pretty sweet, despite it's ginormous amount of parts. Really makes me salute you guys that regularly build MGs; this one was exhausting for me.

Here are some shots while I finish the white-knuckle job of the final assembly; The biggest fuckups usually happen at this stage.

I think you make me feel like poo poo about my own skills as a modeler. :)

Well done!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Morgenthau posted:

Looks great dude?

Update 2 on GOD HANDZ: very sharp, must be careful not to accidentally cut small sliver off of parts. That I must now somehow repair.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Morgenthau posted:

Compared to the average vKa kit, your decals are fine. I dunno about your panel lining though; it could just be the shadow, but the lines on the torso look dalong thick. Though if that's your preference then that's fine too.

Nice job on the build, it looks amazing. Think you could post some pictures of the completed build?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

muike posted:

Looks great dude?

Update 2 on GOD HANDZ: very sharp, must be careful not to accidentally cut small sliver off of parts. That I must now somehow repair.

what a great problem. Tools are too good, must improve the user.

I ordered my HANZO steel god hand, should be here in a week along with my titanium Nu gundam and build fighters Beargguy :3:
I cannot loving wait for that to appear the in show. Its the best bad anime of the year.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Dec 1, 2013

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Is anyone aware of any good Rose of Versailles figures? My friend wants to get a Lady Oscar for someone, but the only figure we can find online is this one:

http://www.hlj.com/product/segh2330-a

But another website has pictures of it in a case that make it look much lower quality

Does anyone actually know if it's a decent figure? Evidently it's from a Sega prize game. It looks like none of the typical companies have any Rose of Versailles figures.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's usually safe to assume that the promotional pictures look twice as good as the actual product. The second one is likely what it really looks like.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

It's usually safe to assume that the promotional pictures look twice as good as the actual product. The second one is likely what it really looks like.

To amplify that:

Most of the time the promo shots are of the hand-fit and hand-painted prototype, not the mass produced item.

This is one of the rare cases where the mecha cliche of "the prototype is better than the subsequent mass production units" actually turns out to be true.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
What's the difference between Mr. Color's Clear Base (30) and Super Clear Flat (182)? Is 30 just meant for mixing with gloss paint to dull it?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Think of anything with the word "base" in it as an ingredient you can combine with other things to get a different result. So a Flat Base could be mixed with some sort of black paint to get a Flat Black.

In contrast, topcoats like Super Clear Flat are just things you spray on at the end.

EDIT: A good metaphor would be buying bread. If you had some yeast (Flat Base) and flour (Future) handy, you could make it yourself. But if you don't want to, you can just buy something premade and call it a day.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 2, 2013

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So what would be a good glue to fix a leg joint? My Red Frame Kai just loving snapped at the joint that connects the leg to the hip and I really want to fix it. Can give pictures if needed.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
A picture will be helpful to access the damage.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Some standard CA super glue should work fine, honestly. Since you've got a relatively clean break you could also insert a brass rod.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Some standard super glue should work fine, honestly. Since you've got a relatively clean break you could also insert a brass rod.

Brass rod? Also I know it's dumb, but that thing is the first kit I did by myself with panel lining and decals so it's really sentimental to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Use a pin vise (essentially a small handheld drill) to drill a small hole on both sides of the broken connection, then insert in an appropriately sized brass rod. You'll probably want to topcoat the rod first to ensure a tight fit.

It's a pretty standard fix for this sort of thing, and an essential thing to learn if you ever want to get into resin. Again you can just use super glue, but brass rods tend to be a much more permanent fix.

• Locked thread