Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

I stayed a the Wilderness Lodge on my last trip and I can confirm that is the most annoying loop of road. All I wanted to do was to get to the office and I'd have to weave my way around there. It was made worse by the fact they were paving Floridian Way along the golf course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Hey I just offered to save you ten bucks, I never said it was going to be pleasant. ;)

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Malt posted:

I've been to WDW quite a few times and have begun to plan another trip for what looks to be January 2015. It's for two adults and will be a 5 day trip with 4 days spent at the parks.

What things would you guys would recommend for someone who has been a few times that you wouldn't recommend a first timer? Our trips always play out the same way and we love them, but I always wonder about smaller, more hidden things that I'm missing out on.

Quick List Of Fun Unusual Stuff For Frequent WDW Visitors:

* Consider taking a guided tour. We did Keyes To The Kingdom a couple years ago and it was terrific. Our guide was funny, friendly, and knew a ton of great trivia, so for us the only disappointment is that we could have enjoyed touring for another hour or two.

* Cheap variation of the above: download the Disney Dish podcast and use the relevant episodes as a free walking tour.

* Explore the resorts. One of my favorite recent memories involves bar-hopping at all the Monorail resorts.

* Boats! Riding the boats up and down the Sassagoula River and around Crescent Lake is very nice. We also rented a boat from the Polynesian (we had a voucher for this as part of a promotion they were doing one year) and explored all over Bay Lake/Seven Seas Lagoon, finding the closed River Country and Discovery Island parks and other weird little areas you wouldn't see on a normal boat ride.

* Watch the Magic Kingdom fireworks from outside the park from different places.

* Explore Fort Wilderness and get a taste of the early days of WDW.

* Seek out hidden gems and unpopular attractions. I love the museum portion of One Man's Dream in the Studios, and I only recently found an all-but-forgotten exhibit of concept art right outside the former animation studio.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Wylie posted:

One thing that I would change about the OP (which is otherwise fantastic) is the recommendation about taking Disney transportation everywhere.

Yes, the monorails are great, and if you're at a monorail resort, then by all means use them.

But if you're at a Value or Moderate resort, and you have a car available to you, then you're probably better off, timewise, driving from your hotel to a theme park over taking the buses. Because you're a Disney Guest™, you don't have to pay the $10 parking fee at the theme park gate (they'll wave you right through when they see your resort parking pass in your front window), and you can catch a tram from wherever you end up parking to the front gate.

Disney does a generally good job moving their buses around, but you can still end up waiting a good 15-20 minutes or more for the next bus to show up if you're unlucky. And there's nothing that makes you more irrationally angry than to see three consecutive buses show up going to a park you don't want to go to while you're waiting for the one that goes to yours.

Well spoken. Added "Your Own Car" to the Getting Around section. And I just checked the official website: parking is now $15 for a car. Zoinks.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
My last full trip was one where my family decided to stay off property (because we had condo days to use up and it only cost us like 50 bucks to make it a place in Orlando rather than where the Condo actually is in Ft. Lauderdale) but my aunt was staying on property. Without us knowing, she made a note that at some point, she'd have a rent-a-car, and they provided her with the parking slip for the car, which she then gave to us so we could park at both her resort and the park parking lots without having to worry about paying.

I am glad I don't have to fuss with any of that this coming trip. I am used to bus travel in my school/work life.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Lincoln posted:

Well spoken. Added "Your Own Car" to the Getting Around section. And I just checked the official website: parking is now $15 for a car. Zoinks.

That is why I added the "How to get around the $15 parking conundrum."

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Found out that when I go in a few weeks, the day I arrive, they shut down it's a small world for two weeks. That is going to seriously cut into my plans for comedy internet posts about the horror of creepy dolls.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Found out that when I go in a few weeks, the day I arrive, they shut down it's a small world for two weeks. That is going to seriously cut into my plans for comedy internet posts about the horror of creepy dolls.

On the bright side, at least you get the Jingle Cruise (Jungle Cruise Christmas overlay) with all new jokes to make up for it.

What the hell needs to be refurbed on It's a Small World that takes 2 weeks? Unless they have to dig the trench deeper again because people keep getting fatter and the boats are scraping the bottom again.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

demonR6 posted:

That is why I added the "How to get around the $15 parking conundrum."

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

So magic has extra hours from 1am -3 am today...seems late, does anything cool happen or like crazy events that let's/early that make it worth staying?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Crazyweasel posted:

So magic has extra hours from 1am -3 am today...seems late, does anything cool happen or like crazy events that let's/early that make it worth staying?

Oh fml that means goddamned fireworks at some ungodly hour of the morning and I am going to be pissed if I am woken at 2AM when I have to work in the morning. Thanks for the heads up.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Crazyweasel posted:

I assume the 1am "close" is just to accommodate the incoming Thanksgiving crowds, and Monday night is Extra Magic Hours every week usually, so they gotta keep that poo poo open.

demonR6, do you live behind Fantasyland or something? I imagine they'll have wishes at 8 or 9 like they usually do, and then throw in an extra Main Street Electrical Parade at 11. That's usually how they handle entertainment on a late night.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

I assume the 1am "close" is just to accommodate the incoming Thanksgiving crowds, and Monday night is Extra Magic Hours every week usually, so they gotta keep that poo poo open.

demonR6, do you live behind Fantasyland or something? I imagine they'll have wishes at 8 or 9 like they usually do, and then throw in an extra Main Street Electrical Parade at 11. That's usually how they handle entertainment on a late night.

Yes, I can watch the fireworks from my front porch. Normally this is not a bad thing, until it happens after midnight then I want to shove a splintered bat up Mickey's rear end. Then there are the rare occasions when they are testing a new fireworks show at oh, three AM then I want to drive out in my underwear and wring the first person's neck I encounter who looks like they are in management.

It's a great thing, but not all the time. During weather when there is a low cloud deck and the wind is blowing our direction it sounds like downtown Baghdad on the first night of the invasion minus the CNN cameras.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

BlueBayou posted:

So how crazy are the nights of joy?

The nights of joy are great because every other park is nearly empty, somehow, and you get to see a lot of fabulous terrible religious t-shirts.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

News update from crazy Disney fan sites: certain kinds of people should not be allowed to come to Disney World, because it ruins it for the true fans.

Holy poo poo, I need to stop reading these things, but I cannot. Its like a train wreck.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Come on, man, you can't say that and not give us a link.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Jay Dub posted:

Come on, man, you can't say that and not give us a link.

It's lost in a 50 page thread (50 pages since YESTERDAY) about MyMagic+ causing money issues company wide. Basically one guy who has sources in the company was being snarky to people who purport to enjoy their vacation, I decided to call him out on it (and was promptly asked not to by the moderators) and then someone was like "Hey, the real problem is that Disney allows the hillbilly folk that they do, those people shouldn't be allowed to come, ruining our good thing" essentially.

Apparently if you don't stomp your feet and demand Disney give you new rides every fiscal quarter, you are a hillbilly.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

It's lost in a 50 page thread (50 pages since YESTERDAY) about MyMagic+ causing money issues company wide. Basically one guy who has sources in the company was being snarky to people who purport to enjoy their vacation, I decided to call him out on it (and was promptly asked not to by the moderators) and then someone was like "Hey, the real problem is that Disney allows the hillbilly folk that they do, those people shouldn't be allowed to come, ruining our good thing" essentially.

Apparently if you don't stomp your feet and demand Disney give you new rides every fiscal quarter, you are a hillbilly.

Oh God I need this link so I can troll please.. don't do this to me.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

demonR6 posted:

Oh God I need this link so I can troll please.. don't do this to me.

Go mouse wild!

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/miceage-on-the-latest-news-regarding-mymagic-read-it-and-weep.877342/

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sweet lord that is a tragic read.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Girlfriend and I are on day 5 of 6 here, magic bands are cool, dining plan is cool, park are fun and it was awesome starting out drinking around the world at Epcot.

I haven't been since 6th grade(00ish) and her since 07 so a lot is new to us. Be our Guest restaurant in MK is beautiful and delicious for quick service lunch. So sad tomorrow is the last day :'(

Edit: Toy Story Midway Mania is an awesome ride, but the wait is long so I would blow a fast pass on it...its a 3d shooting gallery game that's strangely addiciting and just well made

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 27, 2013

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
Toy Story Mania does indeed own, but if I ever waited in what the regular line gets to be during the afternoon I don't think any ride could measure up to be worth it. Not only is it almost a necessity to use a FastPass on Toy Story, but from what I experienced during the week last month that I was there, you need to book it decently ahead of time. Most days by midday the FP+'s were all gone already for all times, and the standby line was at 2 hours or more. And at that point I would say it is not quite worth it.

Andro
Jun 30, 2010
Are tickets bought online and at the gate the same price?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Regular Park Tickets are the same price online as they are at the gate, I believe.

There are some online deals for things like Hard Ticket events (like their Halloween or Christmas parties) where buying in advance is cheaper than at the gate.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
How far will those bride and groom ears get you? Worth the price of looking ridiculous?

The thread I wanted to ask this question is got closed, but would I be able to get a decent job at Disney as a white native English speaker who speaks fluent Mandarin Chinese and good Spanish?

Jobs in my small hometown are pretty nonexistent, so I'm looking at my options close to home.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Cuatal posted:

How far will those bride and groom ears get you? Worth the price of looking ridiculous?

You're already at disney world, just embrace it.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sair posted:

You're already at disney world, just embrace it.

I say gently caress it, what are the odds you will run into someone you know.. just don't give a poo poo, it is all tourists anyways.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

demonR6 posted:

I say gently caress it, what are the odds you will run into someone you know.. just don't give a poo poo, it is all tourists anyways.

Many that are from other countries and are probably just focused on their own days. Seriously, don't worry about it. No one cares about it, and there are people that are going to look more ridiculous than you.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

My gf got sequence Minnie ears and I got the r2d2 mickey ear hat and it was super fun for pictures and having little kids look in awe. Also fun when cast members make jokes of it. You forget you are wearing em after 5 min anyways

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 30, 2013

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I seriously considered buying the ridiculous "Oswalt the Lucky Rabbit" ears they sell now. Might still do it.

mr_cardholder
Jun 30, 2009

Oh well. It's humanity's problem now.
Question regarding the non-peak timing: I would love to take my parents on a really nice Disney world vacation next year just because we all like Disney parks. They're a little on the older side so I know they would enjoy being able to take the monorail to our hotel. I've been looking at schedules and the best time for me to pull this off would be in late April/early May. Would this be too late to take advantage of the off peak discounts at the luxury resorts or would they still likely be around at that time? I know the OP said that peak is from June to Labor day but it seems like a lot of kids are getting out of school in May now.

mr_cardholder fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 30, 2013

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Cuatal posted:

The thread I wanted to ask this question is got closed, but would I be able to get a decent job at Disney as a white native English speaker who speaks fluent Mandarin Chinese and good Spanish?

You can get a lot of mileage out of those bride-and-groom ears, since they really stand out, as opposed to the "it's my birthday" buttons, or whatever they say. Everybody has an "I'm special" button these days. We got married at the Polynesian, and the next day were at Epcot making a dinner reservation (with the hats on). They guy congratulated us and asked us if we were on our honeymoon. When we told him we got married there at WDW the day before, he gave us water-side seating for Illuminations that night. A little bistro table for 2 with nothing blocking our view. It was awesome.

SPEAKING OF WHICH...this is where we got married:

...Sunset Pointe. It's a little hilltop on the water at the Poly, and its where they do their outdoor weddings. This is what it looks like as of two weeks ago:

Ugh. They leveled it to make room for a DVC building. Every time we've gone back since our wedding, we've walked up to Sunset Pointe to take a picture. I guess we'll have to buy into the DVC if we want to do that again.

Lincoln fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 30, 2013

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

mr_cardholder posted:

Question regarding the non-peak timing: I would love to take my parents on a really nice Disney world vacation next year just because we all like Disney parks. They're a little on the older side so I know they would enjoy being able to take the monorail to our hotel. I've been looking at schedules and the best time for me to pull this off would be in late April/early May. Would this be too late to take advantage of the off peak discounts at the luxury resorts or would they still likely be around at that time? I know the OP said that peak is from June to Labor day but it seems like a lot of kids are getting out of school in May now.

Heres a link to WDWINFO's room rates page. Basically, March 7 through April 26 is "Peak season," and "Regular season" runs April 27 through May 29. "Value season" ends February 12 and doesn't come back until mid-July.

mr_cardholder
Jun 30, 2009

Oh well. It's humanity's problem now.

Lincoln posted:

Heres a link to WDWINFO's room rates page. Basically, March 7 through April 26 is "Peak season," and "Regular season" runs April 27 through May 29. "Value season" ends February 12 and doesn't come back until mid-July.

Awesome, thanks a lot. Shame that it looks like we're going to miss value season but se la vi.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

There are still good deals to be had especially if you consider using a travel agent. Disney usually offers some kind of discount as well.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

walla!

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

My flight leaves in about four hours. Hoorah, magical times ahead. Gonna eat awesome food, drink awesome drinks, and ride Haunted Mansion a whole fuckton

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

My flight leaves in about four hours. Hoorah, magical times ahead. Gonna eat awesome food, drink awesome drinks, and ride Haunted Mansion a whole fuckton

Oh poo poo they closed down Haunted Mansion yesterday for rehab.. also there is a shortage of turkey legs but they are being substituted with tofo salad. Ooh and due to the high cost of pineapple the Dole Whips are no longer being served but they will sell vanilla ice cream instead with sprinkles.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Also they've had to scale back their printing operation to save on ink.

Enjoy your trip to Isney Orld!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Look on the bright side, the parks are freaking dead now in the lull between holidays. I am looking across the street at the main parking lot for Sea World and normally it is filling up by now but if they have half of one lane full I would be calling it a stretch. It's overcast and foggy but that never keeps people from going to the park.

BBS how long are you in town for?