Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Or she's not mad at all and was just trying to let things go uninterrupted.

Doesn't exactly explain why she apparently dropped off the face of the earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.
It seems pretty straightforward. Annie has like one real friend who isn't a canine god. Kat's the only other student she seems truly comfortable with and while she probably won't begrudge her a romantic relationship the fact that it's with another girl might make her feel like she's going to be replaced in a lot of ways that a boyfriend might not make her worry about.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

If you allow me to change the subject for a bit, I've always wondered... do any of you have any ideas about why Surma might have disliked Jones so much? Jones isn't very active so I've always thought it was Surma being a bit prejudiced. I mean, we've seen that she was quite impulsive so maybe she just decided she didn't like her and that's that. I doubt Anthony had any opinion about Jones since he was basically emotionless, an we know that Jimmy Jims is, well, pretty close to her. The donlans appear to be OK with her too.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

Blackheart posted:

If you allow me to change the subject for a bit, I've always wondered... do any of you have any ideas about why Surma might have disliked Jones so much? Jones isn't very active so I've always thought it was Surma being a bit prejudiced. I mean, we've seen that she was quite impulsive so maybe she just decided she didn't like her and that's that. I doubt Anthony had any opinion about Jones since he was basically emotionless, an we know that Jimmy Jims is, well, pretty close to her. The donlans appear to be OK with her too.

My assumption was that it was jealousy. She and Eglamore were involved before she ended up with Anthony and Jones and Eglamore have always had an exceptionally close relationship.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yeah. Surma strikes me as the jealous type. In fact, it's quite possible Jones was one of the factors that led to the couple breaking up.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Hopefully he'll address all that at some point.

Lurdiak posted:

Doesn't exactly explain why she apparently dropped off the face of the earth.

Or is maybe like in their room or something, which Kat wasn't shown to check. v:shobon:v

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

"Finally," Annie muttered as she returned to gym class, "I no longer need to protect her here. I'm free!". Perhaps "Flaming Dodgeball" wasn't fair, but there was nobody to say no. There were no survivors.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

That's very probable actually. I always saw it as Surma going for Tony first, and Eglamore going back to Jones for consolation afterwards since he just couldn't understand what could she see in him (and I guess nobody does...yet). This is why I suspect that, afer all, we're gonna find out that veeeeeeery deep down Anthony is a decent guy.

I compared Surma's dislike of Jones to Annie's instant dislike of Eglamore. Understandably, fire elementals are very passionate and prone to first impressions.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kat finds Annie in Paz's room having tea and biscuits with her.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Annie has gone to the library to... find a... book.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

She's in the library. Googling.

'mouth on mouth'
'girl mouth on girl mouth'
'breathing difficulties'
'what is kising'

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Would there have been any romantic thing happening between Jones and Eglamore when Eglamore was still a teenager? I feel that Jones would be too ethical to have a relationship with a student.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Would there have been any romantic thing happening between Jones and Eglamore when Eglamore was still a teenager? I feel that Jones would be too ethical to have a relationship with a student.

No, I feel that Jones just provided whatever she thought James needed the most at the moment. At first it was obviously more of a maternal figure, then it changed as he matured.

Well, the emotional part was purely on Eglamore's part since we already know Jones doesn't have feelings :v:

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

When Eglamore wanted Jones in the school picture, the others must have looked at him weird for wanting to get their teacher into the photo.

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012

Blackheart posted:

Could be something about jones being a nonliving immortal being too. Surma was big into the spirit world and all that stuff, and jones is a being that looks and acts like a person but has no soul . It could also be something more mundane, like the fact that surma was very extroverted and talkative, and jones never really talks or makes friends. Some people get the creeps from the strong silent type.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Where was Surma shown to be jealous of Jones? I don't remember that

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Super Waffle posted:

Shown? Never. Surma just didn't seem to like her much, and some people are speculating as to why. I just think it's because Jones is kinda creepy.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Super Waffle posted:

Here. Just after the group photo gets taken. It doesn't say specifically that Surma is jealous, but I think Surma's dislike most definitely has something to do with Jones forging a life long bond with Surma's boyfriend in order to study humanity.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Blackheart posted:

This is why I suspect that, afer all, we're gonna find out that veeeeeeery deep down Anthony is a decent guy.

My guess has always been that he was looking for a way to "cure" Surma of the whole fatal reproduction thing, and he's still doing that, only with the focus now being on Annie. Trying to find some way to isolate and remove the elemental portion of her being without also killing her.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Skippy McPants posted:

My guess has always been that he was looking for a way to "cure" Surma of the whole fatal reproduction thing, and he's still doing that, only with the focus now being on Annie. Trying to find some way to isolate and remove the elemental portion of her being without also killing her.

When in doubt, conduct remote medical operations on your daughter without her knowledge or approval!

Good job Tony

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
I wonder if Eglamore is drawn to Jones because it's impossible for her to die.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Looking back, I think it's hilarious how young Surma basically talks like a slightly less hyperactive Red.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

When in doubt, conduct remote medical operations on your daughter without her knowledge or approval!

Good job Tony

It's okay: he got a parent's approval :v:.

Edit: thinking about it, that's almost DEFINITELY why he's being such a lovely dad, saving his daughter's life is obviously too IMPORTANT to waste any time actually parenting. Surely he can just make up all that lost parenting time later :v:?

reignonyourparade fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 30, 2013

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Surma was pretty well trained in ether poo poo, so she probably just doesn't like Jones because she doesn't have an ethereal presence and that's super freaky.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I think it's a safe assumption that Eglamore still has buried feelings for Surma. One of the more powerful, if understated, moments in the comic was when Annie went off the bridge way back in an early chapter and he yelled out "Surma!" while reaching out and watching her fall.

His thing with Jones has always been a sort of fallback relationship, it seems. Comforting for him, if somewhat troubling since she was a sort of parental figure for him early on. A psychologist would have a field day with that. But attaching to one person as a lifelong companion is Jones's thing. And I don't think ethics enter into it for her. I'm sure she's aware of ethical behavior and morality on a conceptual level, and could explain factually all about them. But I don't know if she could comprehend them as compulsions to act a certain way, the way humans tend to. She certainly wouldn't let them impede her intentions, any more than a blast door would. :smugjones:

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
I hope we get a montage like this http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=854

Except the roles are reversed this time

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Male Man posted:

Shown? Never. Surma just didn't seem to like her much, and some people are speculating as to why. I just think it's because Jones is kinda creepy.

Yeah, this could play a part as well. Surma was also part fire elemental and didn't even have the counterbalancing influence that Annie had through Tony. For somebody as passionate and hot-headed (:haw:) as that, the company of an outwardly completely emotionless person like Jones would be pretty off-putting.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MikeJF posted:

Kat finds Annie in Paz's room having tea and biscuits with her.

Annie's giving the "If you ever hurt her" talk :v:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

To talk about something other than ":ohdear: What's Annie gonna do?" I love the little details in how Annie's drawn after the forest bit there. She really does look like she's been living in the woods for a month or two and hasn't bathed in as long. That and Kat tending to come back from vacations really tan. It's a small sort of detail that doesn't always come up in comics.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

reignonyourparade posted:

It's okay: he got a parent's approval :v:.

Edit: thinking about it, that's almost DEFINITELY why he's being such a lovely dad, saving his daughter's life is obviously too IMPORTANT to waste any time actually parenting. Surely he can just make up all that lost parenting time later :v:?

Call me pessimistic but I'm expecting even worse from Tony. My gut suspicion is that, with his weird autistic hang up over being in love for real or not, that Annies well being isn't really a concern for him and that this is all about Surma and quite possibly bringing Surma back at the cost of Annies life. Reversing the process if you will.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 30, 2013

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.
Now that really would be maximum Gendo.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

SynthOrange posted:

She's in the library. Googling.

'mouth on mouth'
'girl mouth on girl mouth'
'breathing difficulties'
'what is kising'

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Thanks for reminding me how good Red would be as a counselor.

"Stupid kid, just make your hair go up. Then you'll have lots of friends."

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Mindlessly clicking again and I think I found mt favourite Annie in the whole entire comic. http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=884 It's almost like a shot from the Peanuts. It's great to still keep finding these great things in older chapters.

EDIT:
Also shortly after there is this comic: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=891 What does "Oh, how far you've come." mean? Does this mean the newly animated robot knows Robot? I know that he used to be a Seraph, but I didn't think that he actually met Diego, and for them to know eachother, this would have to be the case, because Diego created the robots in the Tomb.

Kikas fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 30, 2013

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

Blackheart posted:

No, I feel that Jones just provided whatever she thought James needed the most at the moment. At first it was obviously more of a maternal figure, then it changed as he matured.

Well, the emotional part was purely on Eglamore's part since we already know Jones doesn't have feelings :v:

I don't really get the sense that Jones actually has a sexual relationship with any...one at all really. But a smoking hot older woman who has a strange close relationship with no normal parallels with your teenage boyfriend is going to creep any teenager out. A lot.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Kikas posted:

Mindlessly clicking again and I think I found mt favourite Annie in the whole entire comic. http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=884 It's almost like a shot from the Peanuts. It's great to still keep finding these great things in older chapters.

EDIT:
Also shortly after there is this comic: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=891 What does "Oh, how far you've come." mean? Does this mean the newly animated robot knows Robot? I know that he used to be a Seraph, but I didn't think that he actually met Diego, and for them to know eachother, this would have to be the case, because Diego created the robots in the Tomb.

I think it's more that the reanimated robot is impressed by the fact that Robot is apparently friends with a shadow man and a human. I expect that in his day the court robots were little more than servants, so to have a creature of the forest and a human showing friendship to a robot is progressive.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Kikas posted:

EDIT:
I reread that chapter, of course. It reminded me of how cool I thought the robot philosophy was. It makes so much sense, if you have no concept of boredom or exhaustion or personal needs, to always want to be doing things for people. As far as artificial intelligence goes, it seems like the ideal place to aim for.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Kikas posted:

EDIT:
Also shortly after there is this comic: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=891 What does "Oh, how far you've come." mean? Does this mean the newly animated robot knows Robot?

He's talking about the court robots in general, not Robot specifically. The fact that one of them is friends with a shadow man obviously means they've changed a lot from his day.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Rereading that chapter up to this page, I know robot is a good guy but he really gives a cultist vibe sometimes. Even shadow's sad face makes the page more ominous, although it's mostly due to the sad events he just witnessed.

(also of course, you have to at least read the next page please)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Blackheart posted:

Rereading that chapter up to this page, I know robot is a good guy but he really gives a cultist vibe sometimes. Even shadow's sad face makes the page more ominous, although it's mostly due to the sad events he just witnessed.

(also of course, you have to at least read the next page please)

We've seen in other chapters that Robot has been waiting for an angel long before Kat was around. He might be projecting on her. Just a little.

It'll probably make for some pretty great conflict down the line.