Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Competitive overclocking. For real. http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/87-clockers-r1590

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
The scanlator for Gangsta is dropping the series because it has been licensed for stateside distribution in English. I am pleased by this news, as I'll be able to purchase the manga in dead tree format now.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kleptobot posted:

The scanlator for Gangsta is dropping the series because it has been licensed for stateside distribution in English. I am pleased by this news, as I'll be able to purchase the manga in dead tree format now.

Yeah, I was pretty excited when I read that earlier. Definitely grabbing this when it comes out. The first three volumes are already up for preorder on amazon with release dates.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 25, 2013

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yeah, I'm surprised there seems to be some ho-humming about Parasyte up in here, I seem to remember it as a pretty awesome series.

Parasyte got some real fatigue near the end.

Autonomous Monster posted:

So. Kimi no Knife is fully scanned. And the ending was... okay?

The actual climax I have no problem with, though admittedly it's been so long since I started reading this I couldn't tell you if it's a good capstone to what's come before.

The denouement, though, that I have a problem with. It's too fast; far too fast. It moves at roughly ten hundred thousand miles per second, and the events it covers really need about two or even three times as much space to do them justice. It lacks weight, emotionally.

Still, everything up to that is pure gold, and I'm not generally the sort of person who thinks that a poo poo ending completely devalues everything that's gone before. A-?

I'd honestly put it with Shinigami blah blah for really bad endings. It's a really bad capstone to what comes before.

I don't think it really works together with what came before it, and I'm not sure how half-blind cripple girl managed to make it across the city in like 5 minutes to find someone who was missing faster then a police force that was trailing him..

Shiki and Kuzumi dying felt like a forgone conclusion but it was handled so badly.

I'm a person who feels endings are part of the biggest thing that defines if something is good or not. So C-.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Nov 25, 2013

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Oh Professor, you'll bury us all!

That was rather endearing. I hope they can get it onto a more regular release schedule.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
To whoever recommended Natsunokumo earlier, I'm really enjoying it. It sort of takes that basic "WE'RE IN AN MMO RPG" thing that more typical series like .hack and SAO do but with some actually interesting well-thought out concepts.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Natsunokumo

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Nov 30, 2013

coathat
May 21, 2007

Professor Irony posted:

That was rather endearing. I hope they can get it onto a more regular release schedule.

HappyScans are one of the good ones so it should be decently regular.

Also everyone stop what you are doing and read Kiichi! http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/kiichi-r7123

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

coathat posted:

HappyScans are one of the good ones so it should be decently regular.

Also everyone stop what you are doing and read Kiichi! http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/kiichi-r7123

dreams do come true. I thought I was going to have to learn french if I ever wanted to read beyond the first volume.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
After reading a bunch of josei recently*, I want something to redress the balance. What are some good cyberpunk/near-future mangas with a dark outlook? I'm planning on trying Akira already, and I didn't particularly like the manga version of GitS. Blame is on my list as well.

*I made the opposite of this post a few weeks ago in the other thread.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
CYBER BLUE.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
That's pretty much what I'm looking for. It seems like there's a new version and an older version, which are you recommending?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

That's pretty much what I'm looking for. It seems like there's a new version and an older version, which are you recommending?

Old, definitely. It was drawn by Hara Tetsuo, who is better known for doing FOTNS.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TheFallenEvincar posted:

To whoever recommended Natsunokumo earlier, I'm really enjoying it. It sort of takes that basic "WE'RE IN AN MMO RPG" thing that more typical series like .hack and SAO do but with some actually interesting well-thought out concepts.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Natsunokumo

Natsu no kumo is really great; the art is amazing. I think that series about the tsundere girl (Mozuya-san Gyakujousuru) is by the same guy.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Ringo Roadagain posted:

dreams do come true. I thought I was going to have to learn french if I ever wanted to read beyond the first volume.

Yeah I'm pretty drat happy about this. It's still bullshit that The World is Mine is still unfinished after all this time.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Chas McGill posted:

After reading a bunch of josei recently*, I want something to redress the balance. What are some good cyberpunk/near-future mangas with a dark outlook? I'm planning on trying Akira already, and I didn't particularly like the manga version of GitS. Blame is on my list as well.

Riki-oh and Damned are both fairly entertaining and fit what you want

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

Battle Angel Alita, both the original and Last Order.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Chas McGill posted:

You might like Dorohedoro. It's extremely strange and really violent/gory, but also incredibly good. While it's not exactly near-future/cyberpunk, it still has a similar feel to it. I can't really recommend it enough; it's easily one of the top 5 manga I've ever read, and probably my favorite that would be classified as "fantasy/sci-fi."

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Oh Professor, you'll bury us all!
Fwiw, I thought Cyber Blue was terrible. Not that it doesn't have a certain entertainment value, but it's like the manga equivalent of a Cannon film.

coathat
May 21, 2007

It's almost over and Things are happening in Kabu no Isaki. http://www.batoto.net/read/_/209582/kabu-no-isaki_v6_ch47_by_roselia-scanlations

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Professor Irony posted:

Fwiw, I thought Cyber Blue was terrible. Not that it doesn't have a certain entertainment value, but it's like the manga equivalent of a Cannon film.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Old, definitely. It was drawn by Hara Tetsuo, who is better known for doing FOTNS.

I've read the first few chapters of this now and the art is fantastic. I agree that the writing is terrible though.

Thanks for the other suggestions. I'll definitely check them out.

Edit:

Ytlaya posted:

You might like Dorohedoro. It's extremely strange and really violent/gory, but also incredibly good. While it's not exactly near-future/cyberpunk, it still has a similar feel to it. I can't really recommend it enough; it's easily one of the top 5 manga I've ever read, and probably my favorite that would be classified as "fantasy/sci-fi."
Just started reading this and it's amazing. The grimy art reminds me fighting fantasy game books.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 2, 2013

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

Hmmm, I was contemplating this over the list of manga I'm currently following...I guess I don't really read much sci-fi...Jigoku no Alice is cool but that's more of a post-apocalyptic grim future than a cyberpunk grim future. I think Dimension W seems sorta promising (it's not like, blowing me away or anything) though it may not be cyberpunk or dark enough in terms of what you're looking for (though they do live in an ominous and lovely world with advanced tech).
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Dimension-W

Ytlaya posted:

Natsu no kumo is really great; the art is amazing. I think that series about the tsundere girl (Mozuya-san Gyakujousuru) is by the same guy.
Ah yeah, I totally didn't connect the dots at all, I was reading both without registering they were from the same guy. Surprisingly while I'm eating up Natsu no kumo, I've barely got any interest in the tsundere series of his since I'm not really that interested in manga tropes to enjoy a deconstruction of them or whatever. I hope Natsu no kumo is still being updated, looking at the past chapter release dates on Kissmanga it's sorta inconsistent and worrying.

Suben posted:

I think most of Mozuya-san's problem is the translation. Like I get what's happening and what the characters are saying but the translation is so overly literal and stiff and wordy that nothing about it flows naturally and it winds up becoming a slog where you have to re-read things just to get what's going on. That's not really on the series itself (I like the general premise of "anime character in the real world") but on the people working on it. Maybe the translation crew aren't native English speakers or something, I dunno.
Yeah, I think this is probably a major part of me not connecting with it as well, maybe a central reason since perhaps I'd be more interested in the concept if it were delivered better dialogue-wise.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Dec 2, 2013

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
I think most of Mozuya-san's problem is the translation. Like I get what's happening and what the characters are saying but the translation is so overly literal and stiff and wordy that nothing about it flows naturally and it winds up becoming a slog where you have to re-read things just to get what's going on. That's not really on the series itself (I like the general premise of "anime character in the real world") but on the people working on it. Maybe the translation crew aren't native English speakers or something, I dunno.

And yeah, I hope it hasn't been dropped or something. IIRC the Natsunokumo's been finished for a long time since it's a nearly ten year old series with 8 volumes. I like how, even with the great character work, it doesn't skimp on giving you cool action. Itaka's fight was pretty drat awesome and I liked how it emphasized her cleverness in a way that didn't feel like an rear end pull.

Suben fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 2, 2013

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I reread Kimi No Knife and I think other then being rushed the biggest problem of the ending is that nothing was foreshadowed other then the pair of guys who tried to kill Shiki. The whole last arc felt more or less in it's own bubble from the rest of the story.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Ok, for real y'all have to read Kiichi. It's spectacular.

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/210193/kiichi_v2_ch13_by_gantz-waitingroom

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I think the author of "Mozuya-San" is a woman, judging by the short autobiographical comic at the beginning.

Apparently, Kentaro Miura is doing a short miniseries called Gigantomakhia. Lots of giant weird monsters, huge organic structures, very "Moebius"-ish.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Cool, this means two years before next Berserk chapter. :shepicide:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Plutonis posted:

Look on the bright side. The next chapter of berserk will consist of the most detailed Griffith spreads imaginable.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I seriously doubt that he does a lot of work while on hiatus.

Crunchyroll just added 30 chapters of Coppelion. Jump on it.

And Montage continues to be excellent. http://www.batoto.net/read/_/210267/montage-watanabe-jun_v2_ch14_by_deadbeat-scans

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I just binged through what's out of Boku dake ga inai machi and goddamn, why does this have to be a monthly series? I already wait 2-3 months for a new chapter of Kaiji, I don't think I can handle more waiting. :(

Really enjoying it though, I cant wait to see what happens next.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Plutonis posted:

Well, he has already finished the new manga thing so I bet he's already back at work, drawing each individual pore of secondary characters for Berserk.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Hah, not sure if people are reading the continuation of Aiki, Aiki-S, but it's already getting pretty amusing. Really can't ever have enough smug douche Joukyuu.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Aiki-S/Ch-003-Read-Online?id=181179
BULL THE INFINITE! PROSTRATE YOURSELF IN FRONT OF THE GOD!
Poor Bull. :v:

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Hah, not sure if people are reading the continuation of Aiki, Aiki-S, but it's already getting pretty amusing. Really can't ever have enough smug douche Joukyuu.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Aiki-S/Ch-003-Read-Online?id=181179
BULL THE INFINITE! PROSTRATE YOURSELF IN FRONT OF THE GOD!
Poor Bull. :v:

Smug Douche Joukyuu is pretty much the only reason I read AIKI because my God is he perfect at it. Him being in America is even better now!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Hello fellow earthlings! Do you like single dad manga like Yotsuba& and Beelzebub Bunny Drop? Then Silver-Haired Nina makes a pretty good entry in this category!

It's pretty enjoyable in that "makes you smile a bit" way.

v- R-really? I didn't see that so much in the bit I'd read, but I guess if it's that bad, then never mind. :stare: -v

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 8, 2013

coathat
May 21, 2007

Gonna give that one a big thumbs down for being generic and pedo.

This is a pretty neat. http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/sneewittchen-geschichten-nach-grimm-r10563
Morohoshi Daijirou's take on the Grimm Fairy Tales. Some are relatively straight adaptations while others have a sci-fi, horror, comedy, or mystery-twist.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I just finished Dorohedoro (well "finished," since it's still ongoing) and drat that was an experience. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for something best described as bizarre and is okay with violence and gore. The world is basically Alice in Wonderland as done by Clive Barker (not to mention several of the character designs are clearly inspired by Hellraiser).

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
drat, "Alice In Wonderland as done by Clive Barker" is a great description for Dorohedoro.

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
Oh hey, that Arms Peddler manga got an update. Found it interesting that the author talked about taking more cues from Lovecraftian horror than fantasy stories for his work, and seeing the story arcs with old-fashioned vampires and skeletons brought that into focus.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Genocyber posted:

I just finished Dorohedoro (well "finished," since it's still ongoing) and drat that was an experience. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for something best described as bizarre and is okay with violence and gore. The world is basically Alice in Wonderland as done by Clive Barker (not to mention several of the character designs are clearly inspired by Hellraiser).

I'm really happy to see other people in this thread giving Dorohedoro a shot. I'm not exaggerating in the least when I say that it's one of the top 5 manga I've ever read (and probably the most unique), and my other favorites are pretty much all works done by Inio Asano.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Team Medical Dragon has been super depressing lately.

A female doctor is pregnant, but if she wants to have the kid she'd have to basically give up her entire career. She's already had 2 miscarriages due to overworking and stress from her job. In addition, one of the male doctors, recently divorced, keeps getting called in to pick up his son and as a result is likely going to be let go as well.

I'm not sure how true to life the manga is wrt the Japanese medical system but given everything I've read in the D&D Japan thread on how lovely women are treated in the workplace it seems like business as usual. Japanese women are expected to be stay at home mothers and raise their children, and trying to work and have children removes any chance of career advancement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'd have no trouble that beyond typical manga exaggeration there's a core of truth down there, if the Japanese medical system is anything like their school system, on top of just how the medical profession is in general.

Also apparently Dorohedoro is finished and just not scanlated? We should totally make a thread if we ever get the rest. I'm re-reading it and just got to the part where Risu is meeting the rest of the Cross-Eyes in the 'abandoned' house, complete with dramatic darkened faces and shadows. Then it turns out it's because they can't afford electricity and the first thing they do is rush to get to the scrappaper merchant. Such a great comic.