Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Speaking of Talonflame, a random thought occurred to me: How viable would Overheat in the place of Flare Blitz be? Talonflame's special attack isn't that much lower than it's physical attack, and the stat decrease effect would be offset by the fact that Overheat would be it's only special attack. I'd think that would be useful for punching through something with massive physical defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Ristolaz posted:

So I'm making a doubles team for maison/online battles. I have 3 pokes so far but I need 1 more for maison and 3 to choose from for online. Any tips? Here's what I have:

Hitmontop @ focus sash sitrus or lum berry (are you running a bulky hitmontop?)
Adamant nature
Fake Out
Feint
Wide Guard
Close Combat

Gengar @ gengarite
Timid nature
Destiny bond
Focus Blast protect
Sludge Bomb
Shadow Ball

Tyranitar @ assault vest chople berry
Brave nature
Crunch
Earthquake protect
or
Fire Blast protect
Rockslide

I know I should probably work Protect in there some more but choosing a move to get rid of is tough! And I have a big problem with ground types.

Remember, you have two pokemon on the field at once. You don't need perfect coverage on each pokemon. Focus blast is an especially poor choice for doubles since a miss can cost you the whole game since you end up losing two pokemon on the miss turn instead of one like in singles. This is especially true for maison battles, but that's a whole different animal since there you're not playing to win, you're just trying not to lose.

Anyway for the purposes of playing other people, what you have now isn't really a team, you'll need 3 more. For maison though, just add rotom wash, that should help with your ground weakness and give you some great coverage and resistance while you grind out BP.

The Leper Colon V posted:

Why are you running a Sandstorm Pokemon with someone who takes damage from Sandstorm and needs a Focus Sash?

I'd suggest Skarmory as a decent fourth, with the caveat that you really should probably replace Hitmontop.

Hitmontop and skarmory do completely different things, and skarmory is a terrible doubles pokemon.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

DizzyBum posted:

Edit: On an unrelated note, it's amazing how powerful regular ol' Specs Gengar feels now that everyone expects him to go Mega. This is an interesting new metagame.

Why would you run Specs Gengar over Mega Gengar though? I guess if you wanted to have another mega on your team? But as far as Mega Evolutions go Mega Gengar is sitting on top of the pile, I can't imagine you'd want to use anything else ahead of it.

Octag
Sep 16, 2012

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Speaking of Talonflame, a random thought occurred to me: How viable would Overheat in the place of Flare Blitz be? Talonflame's special attack isn't that much lower than it's physical attack, and the stat decrease effect would be offset by the fact that Overheat would be it's only special attack. I'd think that would be useful for punching through something with massive physical defense.

It's not as viable as you'd think since most of Talonflame's counters rely on their resistances to beat him, not their defences. Rotom-W and Rotom-H are indifferent to Overheat, Tyranitar takes far less from Overheat than Flare Blitz, Heatran is immune either way, rock types like Carbink/Tyrantrum still aren't going to be threatened by Overheat, etc.

It does hit Hippowdon/Gliscor/Landorus-T a little harder than Flare Blitz or Brave Bird, but it's still not enough to threaten them.

edit: huh, if you run Life Orb it actually does threaten Lando-T quite a lot, but Lando-T was already a shaky Talonflame counter.

Octag fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 30, 2013

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Octag posted:

It's not as viable as you'd think since most of Talonflame's counters rely on their resistances to beat him, not their defences. Rotom-W and Rotom-H are indifferent to Overheat, Tyranitar takes far less from Overheat than Flare Blitz, Heatran is immune either way, etc, rock types like Carbink/Tyrantrum still aren't going to be threatened by Overheat, etc.

It does hit Hippowdon/Gliscor/Landorus-T a little harder than Flare Blitz or Brave Bird, but it's still not enough to threaten them.

Ah, I see. I've never done any competitive battling, so a lot of my guesses about battling strategy are pure conjecture.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Ah, I see. I've never done any competitive battling, so a lot of my guesses about battling strategy are pure conjecture.
It's a good theory. I run Overheat on my Tailwind Talonflame, for whatever it's worth.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

The main problem I see with Overheat is that it doesn't benefit from Swords Dance. The threat of priority Brave Bird forces enough switches that getting in a dance is relatively easy, and once you have that boost Flare Blitz completely outclasses Overheat. If you're not using Swords Dance then it could be alright.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Terrible quality video of what the IV checker guy says about a 0/0/0/0/0/0 poke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHUgPqiMiGU

IV judge starts at 0:33ish

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Remember, you have two pokemon on the field at once. You don't need perfect coverage on each pokemon. Focus blast is an especially poor choice for doubles since a miss can cost you the whole game since you end up losing two pokemon on the miss turn instead of one like in singles. This is especially true for maison battles, but that's a whole different animal since there you're not playing to win, you're just trying not to lose.

Anyway for the purposes of playing other people, what you have now isn't really a team, you'll need 3 more. For maison though, just add rotom wash, that should help with your ground weakness and give you some great coverage and resistance while you grind out BP.

Hitmontop and skarmory do completely different things, and skarmory is a terrible doubles pokemon.

Hmm yeah I guess I could give up focus blast for protect on Gengar.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
The other problem with Overheat Talonflame is that Talonflame is generally not going to invest in Sp.Atk IVs, making Overheat a lot weaker than Flare Blitz, even if the base stats are similar. Investing in Sp.Atk means sacrificing Atk, or sacrificing HP, which makes you worse at Talonflame's main gimmick of priority Brave Bird.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Zahki posted:

Why would you run Specs Gengar over Mega Gengar though? I guess if you wanted to have another mega on your team? But as far as Mega Evolutions go Mega Gengar is sitting on top of the pile, I can't imagine you'd want to use anything else ahead of it.

I use a Disable Gengar, personally.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oubeta-66406282
Because there's not much like making a Lucario go from confidently Crunching to running away because he can't hurt Gengar.

Kuhmondo
Jul 2, 2009
Finally got a shiny Charmeleon, had my modest synchronize lead out but it came out as docile :(, IVs are in attack and def. Should I still make it a special sweeper even though SpAtk is a poo poo 4-6?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Kuhmondo posted:

Finally got a shiny Charmeleon, had my modest synchronize lead out but it came out as docile :(, IVs are in attack and def. Should I still make it a special sweeper even though SpAtk is a poo poo 4-6?

Get a Charizardite X and make it a physical sweeper.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

david puddy posted:

Time to send out ~150 of these lesser Noibats via wondertrade :negative: This is gonna take ages..

If you're around, would you trade a couple 4iv breeders for a pair of my own (I have marvel scale dratini, whismur, axew, larvitar, honedge and hustle nidoran).

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Zahki posted:

I read this as Space Gengar at first. Disappointed myself on a second look.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
So I ended up with a Modest Chespin. Normally I'd reload, but it seems that Chesnaught's special attack stat isn't terrible, but the line doesn't naturally learn any special attacks (aside from the dreaded Mud Shot). Are there any special moves worth adding or should I stick to the physical? I tried Nature Power and that went surprisingly well.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 1, 2013

Choray
Oct 31, 2009

It can learn Focus Blast, Sludge Bomb and a bunch of grass moves but that's really not that good at all and definitely not worth passing up its much better physical stat and movepool for.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
So a buddy of mine got a Mewtwo and a Moltres on the same day in Wonder Trade. I think he wins WT.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

TastyAvocado posted:

If you're around, would you trade a couple 4iv breeders for a pair of my own (I have marvel scale dratini, whismur, axew, larvitar, honedge and hustle nidoran).

I can do this. I'm guessing you want Infiltrator? I can give you a timid female (outstanding potential) and modest male (relatively superior potential), both with 31/x/x/31/31/31 if you want. My FC is 2681-0088-2246, IGN Jez. The Larvitars would be cool.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Friendly Factory posted:

So a buddy of mine got a Mewtwo and a Moltres on the same day in Wonder Trade. I think he wins WT.

Makes me wonder if they plant Poketrades from time to time to give people confidence in the system.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

david puddy posted:

I can do this. I'm guessing you want Infiltrator? I can give you a timid female (outstanding potential) and modest male (relatively superior potential), both with 31/x/x/31/31/31 if you want. My FC is 2681-0088-2246, IGN Jez. The Larvitars would be cool.

Sounds good, but I can't do it tonight. Would you have one with a defense iv so I can breed for all 5? I remembered I have timid larvestas too.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

TastyAvocado posted:

Sounds good, but I can't do it tonight. Would you have one with a defense iv so I can breed for all 5? I remembered I have timid larvestas too.

Defense is the only one I haven't gotten a 31 in yet. The 5 IV ones I've got are 31/31/x/31/31/31 :(

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

JollyPubJerk posted:

Makes me wonder if they plant Poketrades from time to time to give people confidence in the system.

What makes me wonder is that I never have to wait more than 30 seconds to get a match, that's a lot of people playing all day.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Zahki posted:

Timid Specs Gengar has more Special Attack than even Modest Mega Gengar. If you want a sweeper that can just hit Shadow Ball and 2HKO anything that doesn't resist it, Specs is superior.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

david puddy posted:

Defense is the only one I haven't gotten a 31 in yet. The 5 IV ones I've got are 31/31/x/31/31/31 :(

It sounds like your process is off? You should be breeding them with things in the same egg group or dittos that have the missing ivs until you have pairs that overlap with all 5. Are you just breeding them until you get a 31 by chance?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

JollyPubJerk posted:

If you have enough monkeys on enough typewriters, you're bound to get something good. Especially when the target audience is too young to realize that trading off a female Tyrantrum for a Pikachu isn't a good deal.

Choray posted:

It can learn Focus Blast, Sludge Bomb and a bunch of grass moves but that's really not that good at all and definitely not worth passing up its much better physical stat and movepool for.

Thanks. I'll hope for a Brave or Adamant one next time. I'll just have to work to keep my team from being too dominated by physical attackers.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

TastyAvocado posted:

It sounds like your process is off? You should be breeding them with things in the same egg group or dittos that have the missing ivs until you have pairs that overlap with all 5. Are you just breeding them until you get a 31 by chance?

Pretty much. I've been using the same (Japanese 31/x/x/31/31/31) female the whole time because my main goal is to get a shiny one. I'm not really too bothered about getting them perfect. The current male I have with it is 31/0/x/31/31/31

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Just swept some poor Japanese dude with Prankster Sableye. I may have to buy some PP Ups at the Pokemiles store. Nearly ran out of Recover uses! People just don't seem to understand how to deal with Sableye, even if he is about as bulky as a wet sheet of paper. Will-o-Wisp/Taunt/Foul Play/Recover can mess some dudes up.

5HSW-WWWW-WWW3-DUDG

Not in this match, but Foul Play is even a decent counter to Swords Dance Talonflame, even without Prankster priority.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
Breed the Japanese one with something with a defense iv, then you'll get a couple 3 or 4 iv males with defense you can switch in and start getting ones with 5ivs.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So has anyone written out an easy to read guide to the Time Machine method? Because I was trying it out last night and kind of wrote out a thing

For More Details/Discussion
Smogon
For longer more annoying description of method
Some Idiot on Youtube

Thanks for this! I finally broke 4IVs on my Lucario project with this method (drat time-restricted evolutions). I want to add two tips that might be helpful for people like me who don't know anything:
- You can slightly alter the spread that you get between the test and real babies by adding a Power item to the parent who's not holding the Destiny Knot. The rest of the stats won't be affected. Though I don't know what happens if you use the Power item to try to pass down the sixth, non-inherited stat.
- Check the nature of the test baby before going to the Battle Institute, because you won't be able to see it during the match.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

TastyAvocado posted:

Breed the Japanese one with something with a defense iv, then you'll get a couple 3 or 4 iv males with defense you can switch in and start getting ones with 5ivs.

Just got another female Japanese one off the GTS with 31/x/31/x/31/x. I'll put it in with the 31/0/x/31/31/31 male and see how it goes.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.
If I breed a female Meowstic with her Hidden ability (not with a Ditto), will the resulting male Espurrs have a chance of having their hidden ability?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

MTV Crib Death posted:

If I breed a female Meowstic with her Hidden ability (not with a Ditto), will the resulting male Espurrs have a chance of having their hidden ability?

80% I think?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ratspeaker posted:

Thanks for this! I finally broke 4IVs on my Lucario project with this method (drat time-restricted evolutions). I want to add two tips that might be helpful for people like me who don't know anything:
- You can slightly alter the spread that you get between the test and real babies by adding a Power item to the parent who's not holding the Destiny Knot. The rest of the stats won't be affected. Though I don't know what happens if you use the Power item to try to pass down the sixth, non-inherited stat.
- Check the nature of the test baby before going to the Battle Institute, because you won't be able to see it during the match.

I'm gonna add these to the post, if you don't mind. Maybe Hammerite can add it to the OP or maybe a link to it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Is there a set-in-stone date for Pokemon Bank?

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Has anyone tried pairing Gyarados with a lightningrod haver in doubles? I'm gonna do it but I dont know who the partner should be, Riachu, Manectric, or Rhyperior...

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ristolaz posted:

Has anyone tried pairing Gyarados with a lightningrod haver in doubles? I'm gonna do it but I dont know who the partner should be, Riachu, Manectric, or Rhyperior...

Marowak. Dudes got a super crazy move pool no one will know what you're gonna use.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ristolaz posted:

Seaking :getin: (scratch that unavailable until pokebank :argh:)

I think Rhyperior is pretty cool since people usually consider him as having Solid Rock.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Ristolaz posted:

Manectric or eviolite rhydon (it's bulkier than rhyferior as well as better looking). Have a megastone ready on manectric for when you want to use intimidate though, since that's really useful in doubles. With volt switch he can switch out to reuse the intimidate. It also stacks with gyrados' intimidate and the lightningrod can buy your gyrados a turn without getting thunderbolted. Just watch out for defiant pokemon like bisharp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

So I can only add friends to my 3ds system if I'm currently connected to the internet, correct?

• Locked thread