dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Antioch posted:

It's not Nagios, it's the barely literate dipshit overnight 'ops' guys that cause me grief.

Schedule recurring downtime or change the check period on that server so it doesn't check it when it's supposed to be rebooting, then it won't even show up on the Nagios screen and ops won't even know it's down.

I really wish we just had on-call weeks in our place. Instead, each person on the sysadmin team has to play NOC for a week and actively watch the Nagios monitors from 9AM until midnight for seven days and either fix stuff when it alerts or call whoever the server owner is if it's not us, while still working our normal hours as well. It kind of sucks to go seven days in a row without being able to stop thinking about work for more than a few minutes at a time. (Counting monitoring time I've worked 65 hours so far this week, only about forty to go... :toot: )

Also, I just found out I will be spending the Saturday night before my birthday shutting down and starting up servers for twelve hours instead of having a nice dinner like I'd been planning on. :welp: The constant weekend work here is honestly starting to annoy me a bit, since we don't get any comp time for it.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So an email came in.

The Jr Techs, including myself, have a weekly meeting to go over reoccurring issues to help the job go easier, good idea in theory. The meeting is run by a different Jr tech each week. I am never able to go because I am always on a client site, so this week they emailed me the minutes of the meeting and what they spent an hour discussing and working through:

quote:

-Printers are important to understand since a lot of troubleshooting revolves around printers
-The key top understanding printers is understanding their settings
-This is especially true about SMTP
-Different manufacturers have different setups and different ways settings should be applied
-When going on-site regarding a fax issue we should bring an old phone to check the dial tone
-Test the phone line as best as possible
-Contact the Telephone provider to ensure their account is in good standing

This seems a little.. simplistic a topic for a group of people who are essentially jr server admins, but I am probably being too hard on them.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 29, 2013

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
Seems like a 'See Spot Run' type. Did it come with pictures too?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Loose Ifer posted:

Seems like a 'See Spot Run' type. Did it come with pictures too?

No pictures, but the email did come in Comic Sans.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm at help desk level but it sounds like they're thinking of things that have legitimately eaten up a ridiculous amount of time.
They're also probably unskilled at running meetings and facilitating discussion. I'm guessing that the meeting went into a lot more depth than the notes suggest.
Edit:

blackswordca posted:

No pictures, but the email did come in Comic Sans.

Nevermind.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Kyrosiris posted:

And more transphobic.

Penny Arcade is Transphobic? A legitimate reason to hate them other than they really suck.
How are they transphobic?

EDIT: Wow. I found some stuff, the guy seems like a self important jerk.

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 29, 2013

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
The artist is an rear end in a top hat who runs his mouth and makes a big deal about it when he encounters something he doesn't understand until his friends give him a really long talking-to like a child. The transphobic part was when he made an offhand comment that all girls had vaginas and then reacted like a shithead when people told him "Well, actually..."

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
Gabe and Tycho are walking embodiments of the Dunning-Kruger effect. How could all these people think I'm bigoted and wrong when I'm an incredibly smart person who always knows what they're talking about? They must be idiots.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Opened 15:22=11/29/13 by (user@company.com)
i need a hug :(

Resolved 15:26=11/29/13 by (me)
Request approved. Hug delivered. Closing ticket.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

tehloki posted:

Gabe and Tycho are walking embodiments of the Dunning-Kruger effect. How could all these people think I'm bigoted and wrong when I'm an incredibly smart person who always knows what they're talking about? They must be idiots.

They're jerks who have internalized that they're nerds and anyone who criticizes them must be a bully. And that may have been true in the early 2000s, but now they're powerful gaming industry insiders who act like petulant teenagers. It also doesn't help they've got a battalion of "hardcore gamers" who will be their attack dogs.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

sfwarlock posted:

To: sfwarlock
From: HR Training Manager
Subject: Final Corrective Action RE: Sexual harassment complaint

Your appointment is for 5:30 PM today.

:smith:

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
This one is probably my own fault but, I will try and dilute any possibility of my own stupidity with emphatic use of smilies:

Today was supposed to be a day off for me but, an email came in earlier and I was way to eager to get it knocked out quickly. A customer complained of a problem for remote users. Problem can be easily traced(read:googled) to server requiring a specific update (and reboot). I email back and say I will correct the issue, tell them to schedule an emergency log-off for 1:10pm, and I will sebsequently remotely reboot the offending server to apply the update. I note that I will call when completed (since all PCs will be offline - no email communciation will work of course). :eng101:

They respond to confirm and I get the update applied in ~5 minutes and reboot the server. :toot:

I then call the main office only to get their automated "we're closed for the holiday" pre-recording. :cripes:

I imagine them all sitting at their on-site or remote desks staring at a login right now while smooth jazz plays in the background.

...skeletons by Monday morning

edit:

Well, technically, he/she WAS asking for it.

crashdome fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 30, 2013

citywok
Sep 8, 2003
Born To Surf

crashdome posted:

This one is probably my own fault but, I will try and dilute any possibility of my own stupidity with emphatic use of smilies:

Today was supposed to be a day off for me but, an email came in earlier and I was way to eager to get it knocked out quickly. A customer complained of a problem for remote users. Problem can be easily traced(read:googled) to server requiring a specific update (and reboot). I email back and say I will correct the issue, tell them to schedule an emergency log-off for 1:10pm, and I will sebsequently remotely reboot the offending server to apply the update. I note that I will call when completed (since all PCs will be offline - no email communciation will work of course). :eng101:

They respond to confirm and I get the update applied in ~5 mintues and reboot the server. :toot:

I then call the main office only to get their automated "we're closed for the holiday" pre-recording. :cripes:

I imagine them all sitting at their on-site or remote desks staring at a login right now while smooth jazz plays in the background.

...skeletons by Monday morning

Leave voicemail, turn off cell phone, resume drinking beer.
:p

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
:siren:Penny-Arcade derails are never okay:siren:

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

sfwarlock posted:

Opened 15:22=11/29/13 by (user@company.com)
i need a hug :(

Resolved 15:26=11/29/13 by (me)
Request approved. Hug delivered. Closing ticket.

Oh my god give me a few minutes to type up a five paragraph rant about scope of support, bad managers, unsustainable policies, and saying no to customers!

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

crashdome posted:

Well, technically, he/she WAS asking for it.

Hope sfwarlock put in a change request to apply Hug to User and got all of the required management approvals, or he's screwed.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

dennyk posted:

Hope sfwarlock put in a change request to apply Hug to User and got all of the required management approvals, or he's screwed.

Eh, that's usually only necessary it affects a system in production. If it was a Test or QA employee that needed the hug, it wouldn't fall under the definition of "change" and can be applied without formal approval. Depending on which parts of ITIL you are following, anyway.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Everyone is off today except two people in our 24/7 crisis center. I got a call this afternoon asking me if it was possible for them to stream our football game on their computers. :fuckoff:

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
Sooooo I got shitcanned back in October, stemming from a personality conflict with the manager of my department. I was told when I took the Helpdesk Coordinator role that my job was to be, essentially, Tier 1.5 support for the helpdesk, along with writing our troubleshooting documentation from technical manuals and Tier2/3 information, and be the statistician for the helpdesk. I was specifically told that it was not my job to address or enforce departmental and organizational policy, like dress code, time and attendance, etc. I got written up back in February for an issue with payroll, despite not being the approver for payroll (I gave it an initial pass, then my boss gave it a final pass, entered the incentive pay and approved it. If I didn't catch the error and it went through, then he didn't either), then got let go at my annual review in October for not doing more to assist my boss in enforcement of departmental policies.

Anyways, YOTJ, I'm going to work as a Desktop Analyst starting next monday. Step up from Helpdesk at least, and it's actually a move up in pay.

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 1, 2013

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

dennyk posted:

Hope sfwarlock put in a change request to apply Hug to User and got all of the required management approvals, or he's screwed.

We only have to do change requests for a process change going forward, for instance if I'm going to hug her every day from now on.

KweezNArt
Jul 30, 2007

sfwarlock posted:

We only have to do change requests for a process change going forward, for instance if I'm going to hug her every day from now on.

Yeah, this strikes me as more of a break-fix action.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Entropic posted:

How do you accidentally change the *.lnk file association in Vista so that all your desktop shortcuts try to open in IE? I've fixed it, but I'm trying to figure out how the hell they did it in the first place.

I think it goes something like:
- User has a lnk to a file on their desktop.
- User right clicks on it and selects "Open With"
- User Selects "Choose Default Program", "Internet Explorer" and "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file"
- ???
- Internet explorer is now associated with all lnk files instead of the file type the lnk was pointing to.

Another poster here said that's how he could replicate it, but only on a terminal server. I've never been able to replicate this behavior.

Perhaps redirected desktops have something to do with it?

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

I'm currently in the process of decommissioning an old Certification Authority. I'm pretty much done migrating everything except I've got a number of currently valid Basic EFS (EFS) certificates issued to users. According to This TechNet article these are issued when users encrypt something, however the 3 users I've asked have no recollection of encrypting anything.

I'm still researching these, but can anyone enlighten me on why they were issued and if turning off the old server will cause these to break anything?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
So I had kind of a funny thing happen about a week ago, that came to mind reading through some of the hilarity of the previous thread. Side note: I don't work in a corporate IT environment, it's managed services and I'm considered between a "support engineer" and what's considered a "primary engineer" that works more closely with clients and has more experience/knowledge/etc.

Anyhow, I was talking to one of our sales guys in his office, when 2 girls on the sales team come to me in a panic. "We just lost power at our desks, our monitors and headsets are dead, but our laptops still work. What did we break? :ohdear:" We've had some issues with their desks before where outlets would randomly lose power and had to swap their stuff to another outlet, so I'm thinking something tripped a circuit breaker. Our office is rented in a larger building, so we have to go to the people who own the building (next door to us) to get some help.

The person that helped out got all the info, 3 desks that were all attached all had no power from their outlets. So she goes and gets one of her guys to check the circuit breakers, some aren't labeled and others aren't labeled properly. We get everyone to save and close down their stuff, power off their systems, and go through the breakers to see if any bring back power. No dice, none of the labeled or unlabeled breakers do anything for our office. The girl from the office next door offers to call an electrician while we set up temporary spots for the people who lost power.

Anyhow, electrician comes in, finds a short in the wiring that caused all the outlets to fail, and fixes it. On top of it, he noticed that the 2 sales girls that brought up the problem each have small space heaters, and each heater uses over 15 amps from the socket. The sockets are only rated for a max of 30 amps, so when they had their space heaters on, along with laptops, docks, monitors, and whatever else, part of the problem was an overload on the circuit. Typically, I wouldn't say anything, but we have our office consistently set to 72 degrees, so it's pretty comfortable...no idea why they'd feel so cold when most of the office is either comfortable or asking for heat to be turned down because they're uncomfortable.

In the end, everything was taken care of, the girls don't use space heaters any more, all their outlets are back to normal, people are happy. On top of it, I got a kudos from my boss for taking care of everything so quick and getting the sales folks set up at temporary desks until things were fixed, and doing it all calm and cool. The sales ladies appreciated it and passed it on to my boss, which felt nice considering doing similar work at past jobs would always come from needy, idiotic people who panicked and would bitch regardless of how long it took to fix. Definitely makes my job enjoyable :unsmith:

namol
Mar 21, 2007

Loten posted:

I'm currently in the process of decommissioning an old Certification Authority. I'm pretty much done migrating everything except I've got a number of currently valid Basic EFS (EFS) certificates issued to users. According to This TechNet article these are issued when users encrypt something, however the 3 users I've asked have no recollection of encrypting anything.

I'm still researching these, but can anyone enlighten me on why they were issued and if turning off the old server will cause these to break anything?

If the user requested the cert you should be able to confirm that by the requesters field. Odds are they might have had a folder or file that was encrypted at one point but they have since moved or deleted it. High five internal CA migration buddy

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

namol posted:

If the user requested the cert you should be able to confirm that by the requesters field. Odds are they might have had a folder or file that was encrypted at one point but they have since moved or deleted it. High five internal CA migration buddy

Hey buddy! If I was to say "KB2661254" do your balls ache? We had huuuuge problems because our CA was old as hell and the root cert was only 512.

The Requester Name is Domain\Username in each case, but none of the users remember anything relating to encryption. Found the following quote:

quote:

Thirdly you need to understand how revocation works with EFS. The only time
that EFS will check for certificate revocation is when one is trying to
share an EFS encrypted file with another user. EFS will check to see
whether or not that user's certificate has been revoked. If it has been you
won't be able to share the encrypted file with that user. If you revoked
your EFS certificate you will be able to use it to encrypt new content as
long as it is still time valid and you'll be able to use it to decrypt
existing content forever.

From here

Sigma

Grimey Drawer

Ozz81 posted:

Anyhow, electrician comes in, finds a short in the wiring that caused all the outlets to fail, and fixes it. On top of it, he noticed that the 2 sales girls that brought up the problem each have small space heaters, and each heater uses over 15 amps from the socket. The sockets are only rated for a max of 30 amps, so when they had their space heaters on, along with laptops, docks, monitors, and whatever else, part of the problem was an overload on the circuit. Typically, I wouldn't say anything, but we have our office consistently set to 72 degrees, so it's pretty comfortable...no idea why they'd feel so cold when most of the office is either comfortable or asking for heat to be turned down because they're uncomfortable.

I work for a hospital that has a business/accounting building off-site, and every year they tell the staff there not to bring in space heaters, and every year they have pull out a half dozen after a few people trip the breakers a couple times.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The last time the fire department did an inspection, they had a fit over the space heaters. New policy is that anyone caught with a heater is an immediate two day suspension.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

01010100011010000111001
00110100101101100011011
000110010101110010

Loten posted:

I'm currently in the process of decommissioning an old Certification Authority. I'm pretty much done migrating everything except I've got a number of currently valid Basic EFS (EFS) certificates issued to users. According to This TechNet article these are issued when users encrypt something, however the 3 users I've asked have no recollection of encrypting anything.

I'm still researching these, but can anyone enlighten me on why they were issued and if turning off the old server will cause these to break anything?

I'm looking to purge the old certs/server and implement a new one because someone just next'd through a 2003 R2 install. Proper one ya know, with proper names. I've had a cursory glance at technet, but would like to know the pitfalls from actually doing it (that aren't documented).

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I can't deny wanting to bring in a space heater to my job. Most of my building is programmed to a nice comfortable 72. Not my section, no, we get 68. And the thermostats are locked so we can't change it.

LooseLeafTea
Oct 17, 2012

Well, what do you say?
My entire workplace survives on portable heaters, naturally leading to a million breaker trips throughout winter. We are in a Victorian listed building with no central heating and aircon only in the server room, so I don't think we can do without... :(

(yes I have a lot of UPSs, why do you ask?)

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
If you guys had proper 240V power that poo poo wouldn't happen. But shouldn't 68F (20C) be enough? I usually heat up to around that and it's not much of a problem if wearing long sleeved clothes.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

20C is pretty warm. 19C is my limit.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

frogbert posted:

I think it goes something like:
- User has a lnk to a file on their desktop.
- User right clicks on it and selects "Open With"
- User Selects "Choose Default Program", "Internet Explorer" and "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file"
- ???
- Internet explorer is now associated with all lnk files instead of the file type the lnk was pointing to.

Another poster here said that's how he could replicate it, but only on a terminal server. I've never been able to replicate this behavior.

Perhaps redirected desktops have something to do with it?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...=itprovistaapps

quote:

I have the same problem.
what I did wrong was once I had to download anti-virus program at; ftp.kaspersky.com/utils/getsysteminfo/GetSystemInfo.exe

and a box poped up asking which program I wished it to run with. I chose Firefox and as soon as I associated it, all my .exe file associations were altered.

quote:

Thanks for the solution! I just ran into this problem yesterday evening...Yes it was due to a quickbooks download onto Vista.

etc.

Also - one nifty virus used to do that, hijacking association of *.exe, *.com files (or *.bat - I don't remember, I'm sure one of them was left untouched). The virus used a java vulnerability (but that was 2-3 years ago when I was still using vista)

canis minor fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Dec 2, 2013

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Khisanth Magus posted:

I can't deny wanting to bring in a space heater to my job. Most of my building is programmed to a nice comfortable 72. Not my section, no, we get 68. And the thermostats are locked so we can't change it.

Wrap the thermostat in a damp paper towel.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
My apartment's thermostat is set to 23c (73.4f). Luckily, so is my office's. Any colder and I start falling asleep.

I have no idea why but this is a thing that happens with me. Depending on certain temperature conditions, if my body feels it too cold, it will shut down and I fall asleep. Air conditioning is a bitch (and is generally the reason why I don't drive with aircon on.)

People think I'm crazy for wearing a sweater indoors during the summer.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
A ticket came in, from :spergin: the :pervert:

quote:

Hi,

I've recently started having a PC problem where some files that have been copied from one USB external HDD drive to another USB external drive are corrupted. It's the copy (backup) not the source file that is silently corrupted. Note there are no error messages during copying or differences in file size between source and bad copy. If the corrupted copy is a video, the only way to know it is corrupted is to play it. At some point, a momentary glitch will be observed, such as a freeze, macroblocking, or skipped frames, in at least one spot on the video. The problem occurs with multiple ext. drives and copies of corrupted files show corruption in the exact spot.

Other people have reported similar problems with Win 7 64-bit, such as retronaut (see http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/210800-windows-7-64-bit-corrupting-large-files-copied-external-ntfs-drives.html ). In fact, my problem is virtually identical to his except that mine only started recently and also occurs with files under 100MB. He found that a workaround was to use Teracopy rather than Windows Explorer for copying. I download that file utility and copied several dozen files between external drives with it. Unlike Windows, Teracopy can do file verification and its copies were all verified with CRC matching. I have yet to see problems with any of those copies. Thus, my problem does seem to be remarkably similar to retronaut's. He seems more knowledgeable about Windows than I am and thinks Teracopy works because it bypasses the NTFS memory caching operation used by the Windows 7 OS. However, he could not fix copying to USB drives with Windows Explorer and no solutions emerged in threads by others reporting this problem.

Because I backup my ---- work to external USB hard drives, my concern is that my internal hard drive will unexpectedly die and I find my backups are bad. I would prefer to continue using Windows Explorer for copying.

If any of you gurus can solve this problem, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-----
(There is literally no reason he is or should be managing video files for his work submitting grants to the NIH, and he is suspiciously averse to letting us examine one of these drives/videos for him, despite the symptom only being reproducible by watching the video..)

Ticket Closed: "Please be sure and back these files up to the network if you're concerned about losing your data, as they are not company devices." (Translation: "No, we're not going to troubleshoot your pirated porn collection archives, and we know you wouldn't dare copy them to the network." :fuckoff: )

This guy got his laptop infected with viruses so many times from pirating files online, that he's given up on bittorrent entirely - he now has moved to usenet, and he refuses to bring his laptop in because we'll just wipe it and start over. :dawkins101:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 2, 2013

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a ticket came in:

Remote users can no longer connect to VPN. Look into this, looks like someone not only disabled VPN on the server, but the address for it has been removed from the zone file for the domain. Ive called and emailed both the account lead and sr tech and they aren't getting back to me. I checked the ticketing system, aside from the issue this morning, there haven't been any other VPN tickets for months. As it stands, we have 30 users who are unable to work because of this.

:cripes:

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 2, 2013

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:munch:

Are these guys answerable to anybody at all.

Who am I kidding, I know the answer.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

Ozz81 posted:

:words: about space heaters

Why does every woman in my office have a space heater? Do they not make any women's clothing that is warm enough to wear in a 70 degree environment that is acceptable in a "business casual" workplace? Do women lose body heat faster than men?

This is relevant to a lot of tickets where the entire sales floor will yell POWER OUTAGE and I'll go around and unplug all the space heaters and turn the (single, for an entire ~20 seat room) breaker back on only to find them using the heaters again 20 minutes later. Sometimes the heater is just pointed directly at the computer case, as if to spite me.

user on probation fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 2, 2013

  • Locked thread